The Tangle Teezer broke my heart. And my hair.

Lynnerie

I feel you OP! I knew after one use that thing was evil. I dont know how you lasted for months

It is smooth and goes through the hair like "butter" but it sliced and diced my strands with ease!

I saw the ratio of shed vs broken hairs in that thing and took it right back to sallys!
everything isnt for everybody.

fortunately you have good length and thickness so this trim should be devastating. but I learned my lesson. I will stick to my fingers and wide tooth comb

THIS^ All we need to do is finger detangle and use wide tooth combs. Now that I think about it, it all makes sense. I wouldn't detangle with a rat-tooth comb I don't know why wasted my $10 on the TT. I remember hearing that noise and being skeptical about the teeth. Our hair is fragile to begin with especially when wet. Never again.

chasturner84

I purchased the TT a while back and only used it ONCE. One and DONE! I just knew it would eventually destroy my hair plus it didn't really do a fantastic job detangling (I get the same results with my shower comb). I put it back in its package and hid it in my closet. Never again.

Iluvsmuhgrass

This is what I was using for tangles (outside of fingers) before I began using the TT. It was 99 cents at a local BSS and it's worked so well I went back and bought three more (two to share and one for a back up.) The teeth on this comb are 2 1/4 inches long and I RARELY lose hair with this.

I think the reason I liked the TT so much was because it removed alot of shed hairs (which is what I saw. My shedding season came this spring instead of during the fall.) I experienced breakage prior to ever using it (and I don't use it often) so I chalked that up to my system (I've been a little ill.) Once I created an infused oil and did a HOT the breakage ceased.

I won't lie, I'll probably go to this later if I need to. But for safety's sake, I'm going to go back to using what I know. Finger detangling gives me a better idea of what's going on with my grass. :yep:

Thanks for the post. I am truly sorry that you experienced this, but glad you caught it before more damage was done.

Attachments

• comb.JPG
    comb.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 62

PPGbubbles

I purchased the TT a while back and only used it ONCE. One and DONE! I just knew it would eventually destroy my hair plus it didn't really do a fantastic job detangling (I get the same results with my shower comb). I put it back in its package and hid it in my closet. Never again.

you should have got your $$$ back or exchanged for a new product!

iprocrz108

I don't own that exact brush but I have these:

http://www.kentbrushes.com/shopexd.asp?id=402&catid=22

http://www.kentbrushes.com/shopexd.asp?id=390&catid=22

I got them over two years ago because I was having a hard time wih the Denman brush (whole or modified). I felt like I was losing too much hair each time I detangled for a wash. :nono:

About the Kent brushes... Very sturdy, well made, larger sized bristles/pins (Kent term) than the Denmans, detangled well BUT some of my hair strands were getting ripped out because my hair was getting stuck between the rubber base and the bristles/pins. The Kent pins that are placed 'into' the rubber base as opposed 'through' the base like Denman brushes. I think that if the Kent brushes had the same bristles/pins placed 'through" the base it would be a better option for me.

All in all, the Kent brushes weren't horrible brushes, they just didn't work for me whether my hair was curly or straight. My search for the perfect detangling/paddle brush continues...

DrC

Aww Im sowy OP :bighug:

Those tangle teezers and that knock off I think called the Hair Bean do NOT get along with my hair, well anything with small teeth similar to that.
I used the tangle teezer on one section of my hair ONE time and I had so many hairs pop off from that thing, I threw it away.
This was even after I applied my detangling product. Its just not for your hair density I guess :perplexed

peeches

I bought the tangle teezer last month with my Sally Beauty discount. I was not impressed. After brushing my hair with it twice, I pulled out the hair caught in the teeth and noticed it was the same amount I normally have in my boar bristle brush. Plus, it did not smooth my hair down.
Not a winner.

Sweet_Ambrosia

Sorry for the mishap mwdezi.
When I first saw the TT it reminded me of a dog/cat brush. I knew it wouldn't possibly work for my hair given how it's designed. I'll stick with good ole finger-detangling. The TT may be more beneficial for people with looser hair types 3b and under, 3c and above forget-about-it.

keepithealthy

Awwe I'm sorry to hear about your setback. I am sure that your hair will be back on track in no time. But, thank you for coming in and sharing with us. I was really interested in purchasing one of these until I read the thread about the tangle teezer causing splits. Your review just solidified my decision not to try it. I was using the denman but I felt like I was losing too much hair with that brush as well. I am currently using a wide tooth shower comb and the comb below. I don't know what its called. But it worked great and I have a LOT less hair come out than with the denman. But it detangles better than my wide tooth comb. (this is the best pic I could find)

[IMG]http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa447/ChristlikeShine/lg_CIMG0225.jpg[/IMG]

guyanesesista

Sorry that happened to your beautiful hair. I knew it was the devil too altho it did detangle me well. A few days after my review in to tt thread I inspected the bristles and realised they'd rip my up cuz the bristle ends aren't smooth. I'd probably still use but only when I'm in a bind. Your hair will grow back in no time.

coilsgonewild

I had the same experience with the Tangle Teezer!! I feel the same way.... I was in denial about the splits but i knew deep down in my heart it was the Tangle Teezer that had caused them.
Darn you Tangle Teezer for detangling so well...Just put down the Tangle Teezer..... I'm convinced there is a reason why it detangles so well, it rips any hair that doesn't comply :sad:

R.I.P. Tangle Teezer-I will miss you!

ajargon02

Sorry to hear that. I'm very scared of brushes in general, I try and only use them to smooth down the hair - I hate hearing stories like this. :nono:

Medwzi, I am so sorry this happened to you. I was wanting to try this, but figured that I would wait a while and see what happened.......:nono: I'm glad that I did.....

wheezy807

:bighug:Aww. Sorry to hear that. I'm sure you'll make a quick recovery. What ever you do, please get rid of the TT.

Bnster

I am so sorry this happened to you. I was off the bandwagon on this one from the beginning. I'm not willing to test it out and for it to destroy my progress. So I wait and read and see everyone results with it. Thanks for sharing and letting us know your experience with it. HHJ!

beans4reezy

I was so tempted to get one too, but when I saw a photo of what one looked like- I was like- this looks so rough, like it would rep through my hair- so I never bothered to get one.

Thanks for the heads up

BronzyBella

I purchased the Tangle Teezer last week at Sallys. Originally, I never planned to. I had heard people on the 'net raving about it so I asked the lady at Sallys if they had any and she told me it was the last one left (she went in the back to get it). I guess I purchased it by impulse.

I used it to detangle my damp hair before trimming it. It pulled on my scalp less than the Denman brush. I expected a lot of hair to come out because it's been in braids (extentions) for the last 6 weeks. All in all, I wish I had saved my money. It was never my intention to brush through my hair with ANY brush on a regular basis. Even when relaxed, I would RELIGIOUSLY stick to a wide tooth combed.

healthytext

I am currently using a wide tooth shower comb and the comb below. I don't know what its called. But it worked great and I have a LOT less hair come out than with the denman. But it detangles better than my wide tooth comb. (this is the best pic I could find)

I have a similar one: Krest Tangle Tamer

Pooks

Thanks for sharing Mwedzi, sorry this happened to you.

I'm beginning to suspect that my hair has also fallen victim to the TT - I love it, but I fear I may have to shelf it too / reserve its use to edges alone. It detangled my hair like nothing else, (I only used it to remove shed hairs after longterm PS really), smoothed the cuticles and everything, but the other day I was looking at my ends and wow... :nono:.

My strands are fine-medium, I think that even if what I saw wasn't all due to TT use, I've gotta be safe rather than sorry down the line. I loved this so much I bought some for my sisters. No 2 heads are alike though so perhaps they won't experience adverse effects.

lilyofthenile

I've heard a lot of girls saying they experienced what you did and so I don't use my tangle teezer as much - only when I want my hair to be smoothed out.

Cherokee-n-Black

It works for us, no splits, but I do take special care not to tug too hard and to make sure there is enough slip in whatever conditioning product I'm using. I use it on my infant son and it's the only thing he doesn't scream about going through his hair. Of course, now that you said this I'm gonna start looking for the splitting...Sorry it was a bad move for your hair. But the great thing about hair--there's more where that came from! HHG!

virtuenow

mwedzi and others, I believe I have come to a crossroads w/the tangle teezer.

It has changed the way I do my hair...it detangles so great that I wash my hair ALOT more often and have been able to find true moisture and softness for my hair, in turn. It truly completed my routine...and, well, helped me to develop one!

The crux is, I have seen recurring split ends on my hair for the past few months. I never get splits...my hair is highly resistant to splits. However, I started flat ironing alot more often around the same time I started the TT. So, I decided to attribute it to the flat iron, initially. I hve those feather splits and all, albeit, the splits are very tiny (1-2cm) and dont seem to travel...but I clip them and they are right back within a week!

So After reading this thread, I may need to do a process of elimination...Oh my dear TT! It was my last resort for detangling. Nothing has worked on my hair. It made my hair care so much easier...my finger detangling was too rough; and combs just pull out my hair. If i have to get rid of the TT, I don't know what I will do (*tears*). (The TT is so good, the splits may have to be a trade off instead of pulling my hair out from the root)

Mwedzi (and anyone else who gave it up), what are u using as an alternative?

virtuenow

Me either, got nothing. I may keep using it. Otherwise, after 5 years, I may have to reconsider this natural thing.

luckiestdestiny

sorry to hear that mdwezi you have gorgeous hair. I had my eyebrow up about the tangle teezer because everyone touted the denman as the end all be all and I had a horrible set back from it, so I be darned if I had one from the tangle teaser too. So I was waiting, and gathering info. I think I'll continue to take forever to detangle my hair with a large tooth comb so that I can continue my progress. Because I understand where you're coming from and these kind of set backs can suck big time. I hope you have a quick recovery!

pringe

I'm so sorry! I was gonna buy one but I didn't want to jump on the bandwagon when i knew it wouldn't work for me and the construction of the TT would seriously hurt my hands. It will def grow back ladies!! Good luck!

HappilyLiberal

I used my TT twice then tossed it in the trash. I was getting split ends as well. It's a good thing I'm transitioning because I would be in tears over the amount of hair I need to cut off because of that thing.