The Tools: Good Haircare Products

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
The Tools: Good Haircare Products & Their Usage

I found an informative chair in the Just Hair Magazine. It was very helpful to me, so I thought it would be very helpful for you ladies here on the LHCF ;) :

Hot Oil Treatment
Used for hair that lacks moisture and needs additional moisture to replenish the hair shaft.
Best for dry hair and scalp, chemically treated, and natural hair.
How to use: Massage through wet/dry hair. Cover with a plastic cap. Sit under dryer for 15-25 minutes. Or let sit for 30-45 minutes. Then shampoo and condition.
Suggested products: African Pride Wonder 8 Oil, Khamit Kinks Hot oils

Reconstructors/Protein conditioners
Helps stop and prevent breakage, split ends, and shedding of hair. Also strengthens the hair cuticle.
Best for damaged or relaxed/color treated hair - use twice a month, nature hair - use once a month.
How to use: After shampoo, apply to wet hair. Leave in for 15-30 min. Rinse, towel dry. Follow with a moisturizing conditioner.
Suggested products: Affirm 5-in-1, Joico K-Pak Deep Penetrating, Mizani Kerafise Protein Treatment, ApHogee Intensive Two-Minute Keratin Reconstructor

Moisturizing Conditioner
Infuses moisture into the hair and scalp, as well as coats the hair cuticle.
Best for relaxed, color treated and natural hair. Also, when hair is stripped of its natural moisture.
How to use: After shampoo, massage throughout hair. Then cover with a plastic cap and sit under a dryer for 15 min. Or let sit w/o dryer for 30-60 min.
Suggested products: Nexxus Humectress Ultimate, Mizani Moisturfuse, Breakthru REvitalizing Deep Conditioner, Optimum Care Rich Conditioner

Wrap Lotion
Creates the foundation of a style and sculpts the hair into shape. Also, helps hair dry smooth and straight and protects against heat.
Best for straight styles and short hair cuts.
How to use: After shampoo and condition, apply to hair then comb or wrap hair in desired direction. Dryer optional.
Suggested products: Jane Carter Wrap & Roll (877-Haircare), LottaBody Foam Wrap, Razac Perfect for Perms Wrap & Setting Lotion

Clarifying Shampoo
Exfoliates the hair and scalp of debris, product, and oil build up.
Best for all types, especially those with active lifestyles. Those with color should be cautious because can cause damage. It contains no moisture.
How to use: Shampoo as normal and follow with a moisturizing shampoo. use once a month.
Suggested products: Avlon Clear-Away Yellow Shampoo, Organic Roots Uplifting shampoo, REvlon Herbal Deep Cleansing Shampoo

Wax/Pomade
Used for sculpting and holding the hair in place.
Best for all types of hair.
How to use: Placed on dry hair for styling purposes.
Suggested products: Vonte Silk Effects, Cream of Nature Herbal Rich Holding Wax, Aveda Control Paste

Hairdress
Used as a daily moisturizer to add shine. Also, protects hair from the heat.
Best for all hair types.
How to use: Rub in hair, especially the ends, and apply as needed.
Suggested products: Kenya Jordana Hair Butter, Jane Carter Nourish & Shine, Luster's Pink Oil Moisturizer

Leave-in Conditioner
Prevents breakage and permanently bonds to the cortex increasing your hair's elasticity and strength. Also protects the hair from heat.
Best for all hair types, except fine hair. (I was surprised at this)
How to use: Apply throughout hair hair and comb through before any styling especially heat.
Suggested products: Empress Leave-In, Jane Carter Revitalizing, ApHogee Pro-Vitamin Leave-in, Motions Nourish Leave-in Conditioner

Hair Spray
Holds hair in place.
Best for all types of hair.
How to use: Spray approximately 4-6 inches away from hair.
Suggested products: Mizani holding spray, Sebastian Shaper, Vonte Silk Control

Straightening Balm/Gel
Temporarily straightens hair and coats the hair protecting it from heat.
Best for curly, wavy, or natural hair.
How to use: Apply to wet or dry hair prior to heat styling.
Suggested products: Marcel straightening balm, John Frieda Relaxed Straight Forward Blow-dry Creme

Mousse
Provides soft hold, defines curl, and provides extra body.
Great for loose human hairstyles (weaves, extensions) to hold curl pattern. Also, creates the appearance of the wet look. Best for wet sets, sculpting, and blowing drying.
How to use: After shampoo, condition, apply to damp, wet hair and style as usual.
Suggested products: Paul Mitchell, John Frieda Relaxed Mousse

Anti-Frizz Serum
Protects hair from humidity. Helps to reduce fly-aways and frizz.
Best for all hair types.
How to use: Apply to hair before or after blowdrying.
Suggested products: Frizz Ease, Razac Perfect for Perms Polishing Gloss, Fantasia Frizz Buster

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Dolapo said:
thanks!! uh...whats with the leave in conditioner not being for fine hair though?

I don't know because I have fine hair and I use Motions Leave-in Conditioner and Salerm21. Plus, I read something on Motions website that said leave-in conditioners are recommended for fine textured hair. :)

angelbaby

Re: The Tools: Good Haircare Products & Their Usage

The tips are great, the products they suggested are mostly inferior. I can't believe anyone in the know is still promoting that Luster's Pink Oil Moisturizer. It dries your hair out more than anything.

so1913

Re: The Tools: Good Haircare Products & Their Usage

angelbaby said:
The tips are great, the products they suggested are mostly inferior. I can't believe anyone in the know is still promoting that Luster's Pink Oil Moisturizer. It dries your hair out more than anything.

Ewww, that stuff is DISGUSTING!!!!

Has anyone tried the Kenya Jordana Hair Butter recomended?

championgurl

Dolapo said:
thanks!! uh...whats with the leave in conditioner not being for fine hair though?

Hi Dolapo,
I think the "Leave In not best for Fine Hair" part was because it may tend to weigh it down, and too much product buildup on fine hair may actually contribute to it's breakage.....??? I dunno, But I've found that to be true for me at times. I have fine, 3c hair, and have had problems with cramy leave ins that were too creamy..... HTH. Just my experience anyway!