The truth about bigen

Lilmama1011

You didn't know that?

When I put videos up, sometimes it's not that I'm not knowledgable about it, sometimes I think some videos explain better than I do or people need a visual rather than me just saying it on a thread. I would assume if it says not to use a metal bowl it contains some metals and will cause a reaction. But everyone doesn't know the same things other people know

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I do not use bigen, but my mother refuses to give it up.
Thanks for posting, I will share this video with her!

almond eyes

Oh no wonder my friend an older woman who dies by bigen and has been using it for years and has nice hair but is now experiencing breakage in the front of her hair line.

Best,
Almond Eyes

ChasingBliss

Ive been using it consistently for a few years. I have had no problems with it. I will however watch the video when I get home. I know nothing about possible long term damages. I would like to find a natural dye that does just as good a job. I really love Bigen *sigh*

faithVA

Thanks OP. I didn't know about the henna in it. I used it once a few years ago after reading reviews on this board. My hair was hard and brittle. My hair does not like henna.

Dellas

What are done good black dye alternatives for gray hair
Plz dont say pure henna and indigo

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

faithVA

^^I will try rinsing with the sage tea this weekend. I am sure you have to do it repeatedly over time to have the right effects but it would be worth it if I didn't have to dye my hair or could at least extend my dye jobs. I may also try the Walnut powder. I wonder if I could mix that with a mudwash.

disgtgyal

I've been using bigen for almost ten yrs I've never had a physical reaction, but it could be why my relaxers take forever to straighten my hair. Also my color has never washed out so I had no idea it is suppose to only last 4-6 wks. Bigen has been the only thing able to give me black hair. I'm open to suggestions as well minus henna and indigo

felic1

I have never used Bigen. I have used henna and indigo to cover gray. I want black hair. Soft black, dark black any black. I would really like my hair to be one color. I am really frustrated with henna and indigo usage. I am not getting the color coverage that I want and the process is really long. I may have to get some dye. I cannot keep living like this with the multi colored hair. I just want one color hair to feel pretty!:yep:

thickness

I have serious gray hair and Bigen is the only hair color that completelycovers my gray. I have tried many hair colors, permanent, demi-perm, rinses, you name it I have tried it. There are no dreaded color drips or green/blue hairs. I love Bigen and have never had a problem with it for 20+ years (grayed early in high school). The only thing I noticed is that my hair is a little bit drier after using it for color touch-ups. Nothing a good moisturizing DC does not handle. If anyone has any suggestions for a good replacement, I would love to know.:yep:

faithVA

The problem I have with Deity is their refusal to give full ingredient lists for their products. There's just too much ambiguity for my tastes.

Do you know if there is an ingredient list on the box?

I am pretty sure I have seen this in a CVS. I don't remember if it had an ingredient list on it.

djkforeal, do you have the ingredients for the shampoo?

faithVA

Read a few of the comments about Diety on Amazon, a few people said they think their is henna in the mix :ohwell: That's not going to work for me. Think I will try the sage, then the walnut powder. If that doesn't work I will just stick to my Naturtint.

MilkChocolateOne

Bigen is not compound Henna. The allergic reactions to Bigen are from the large amount of Para-Phenylenediamine (PPD) in it (the ppd is listed on the Bigen label in three forms: Paraphenylenediamine sulfate, 2-Nitro-P-Phenylenediamine sulfate, and 4-Nitro-O-Phenylenediamine sulfate).
I read somewhere that Bigen's ppd content is over 12%. I think the allowed limit for ppd is 6%.

PJaye

Do you know if there is an ingredient list on the box?

I am pretty sure I have seen this in a CVS. I don't remember if it had an ingredient list on it.

@djkforeal, do you have the ingredients for the shampoo?

Their products only have a list of highlighted/main ingredients; it's never a comprehensive listing, which makes me wary.

DivineNapps1728

I didn't watch the entire video, but I have been using Bigen on & off for years. As far as I know the Bigen powder dye doesn't contain henna nor does contain metallic ingredients.

Bigen is a permanent chemical hair color that doesn't lift (well or at all), but it can fade/dull which is why it has a "lasts for 4-6 weeks" descriptor.

Like many permanent dyes it is not supposed to be used over henna treated hair; if it was henna based I'd assumed that wouldn't be a product warning.

Bigen it is said to be gentler because it's a deposit only color without ammonia or peroxide that first lightens the hair then lifts the cuticle so color can then be deposited. Whether it's gentle or not depends on one's head; permanent color tends to be drying period.

Bigen isn't to be mixed in a metal bowl, but that doesn't automatically mean it contains metals; most dyes aren't supposed to be mixed in metal bowls because the oxidation process is disrupted & can produce unexpected color results. I dunno if this is the exact case with Bigen, but it's probable.

Bigen has high levels of PPD which are notorious for causing severe allergic reactions which is why doing a prelim skin test (as with many other dyes) is a necessity.

I've never suffered damage from Bigen. I've slowed my usage because off the higher PPD levels & the implications that could ensue if all of a sudden my body rejected it, but just like most other commercial products it comes with pros & cons which is why directions need be followed to a T if it is used at all.

I don't believe that using Bigen in & of itself is a recipe for disaster if it's used as directed on an individual that doesn't have sensitivities to it.

BostonMaria

My mom used this product for years. Dying eventually thinned out her hair pretty bad. Don't know if it was the product or years of use, but I'm not taking any chances.

gn1g

henna is what invited me to hair forums.

JUST SAY NO to henna.

thanks OP I didnt know.

TLC1020

Don't surprise me, I used it a few times and my hair hated it and my hair was so hard afterwards no matter how much conditioner I used. My mother used it for a while before she stopped liking the results as well..

Jewell

This is OLD news, like when I first joined the board old news that Bigen contains metallic salts and PPD. I have used it off and on for over 10 yrs and it has never damaged my hair, scalp, skin, or caused my relaxers not to take. I used #59, Oriental Black exclusively, and Im thinking of coloring again soon. The rinses/semi-permanent dyes I have also used in jet black and I like them.

If one is concerned about their lack of ingredient transparency, simply dont use it and use regular henna and indigo to get the jet black/blue black results. I sometimes choose Bigen over henndigo because I dont like waiting hours for henndigo to properly color my hair. Bigen works in 20 mins so common sense tells us that there must be chemicals added to cause such a quick and permanent dye deposit. To each his own, as with everything! :)

For me, Bigen lasts longer than henndigo without fading as quickly, and gives me that blue-black color without damage and dryness, unlike Dark 'N Lovely Midnight Blue does.

ETA: According to mehandi.com, ALL black (permanent) commercially sold hair dyes contain para-phenylenediamine (PPD), and the only way to get black permanent color without PPD is to do the 2-step process of henna then indigo. Semi-permanent black rinses dont usually contain PPD. Although PPD is considered highly toxic, it is in these dyes on the market. Bigen Oriental Black #59 supposedly contains one of the highest levels of PPD on the market. I personally have never had a reaction, but you can develop one even after years of using the same exact dye...as with any allergic reacgion, it may not occur the 2nd, 3rd, or even 5th time of exposure.

This is why it is SO IMPORTANT to do a skin patch test 48-hrs before you dye EACH TIME. The time I saw a woman with a hair dye reaction, it was horrible to look at. Her face was severely swollen, and she had blisters all over her scalp, face, and hair line. She had to be seen at the hospital for a severe reaction to (you guessed it) BLACK permanent hair dye. She lost much of her hair as well due to the scalp reaction.

While I would love to stick to just henndigo for my jet black/blue black color, it's too messy, too long a process (must let the henna sit to release dye, the indigo must sit and release dye, then u have to apply them on separate days so the henna can oxidize; not supposed to shampoo until the day after, rinse with water only, yadah yadah); and just doesnt give me the solid black color like Bigen#59.

However, be clear that Bigen contains NO HENNA or Indigo whatsoever.:ohwell: Its chemicals, and though it contains no peroxide to actually add to the mix, peroxide is possibly produced by mixing the powder with water. In this way, companies do not have to disclose peroxide as an ingredient, if it is just a reactive by-product.

Just wanted to clarify for those who dont use this dye, are curious about it, or who are thinking of trying it. Some use it and still dont know what's in it. I believe in being an informed consumer. :yep: Bigen Oriental Black #59 actually has good reviews on Amazon, so that tells me that the vast majority of users are satisfied, but like most, I too wish it didnt fade as quickly. I find that using shampoo often will fade it faster, as with any dye. I use it once a year then throw a rinse over it to "refresh" it if needed later on in the year. Im not affiliated with the company, nor getting paid to say anything--just stating my experiences with it.

Last edited:

cornaline

Hi ladies,

I wen tac cross a hair dye I dont Know about. It is called water works, looks Kind of similar to Bigen. Was wondering If any of you have ever used it since we are talking about good alternatives to Bigen

Jewell

cornaline

I have heard of Water Works and Herbatint, but have tried neither. I stick to what I know when it comes to dye...if it works I just keep using it until it stops working, I find something definitely better, or the company stops making it. I would love to try Herbatint, but I think they only have a "natural black" which to me, equals "ashy black" or a washed out black on my naturally #4 colored hair. I need it to be jet black or blue black to be happy after taking time to dye all this hair.