The truth about bigen

greenandchic

Bigen is not compound Henna. The allergic reactions to Bigen are from the large amount of Para-Phenylenediamine (PPD) in it (the ppd is listed on the Bigen label in three forms: Paraphenylenediamine sulfate, 2-Nitro-P-Phenylenediamine sulfate, and 4-Nitro-O-Phenylenediamine sulfate).
I read somewhere that Bigen's ppd content is over 12%. I think the allowed limit for ppd is 6%.

That is why I finally convinced my mother to stop using it. There have been people who've used Bigen for years before they developed a horrible allergic reaction to it.

BostonMaria

why no????????

I know you didn't ask ME this question, but i stopped using Henna because it pretty much bonded to my hair and no matter how many times I dye my hair the color will NOT take. I have about 14 inches in the back that has henna and I'm stuck with this red patch on my hair. Mind you, I haven't henna'd in 5 years and in order to get rid of this I will have to cut my hair.

The only "damage" is the red hue/tint that will never go away. My hair is fine otherwise. I used to love dying my hair brown, but I can't do that anymore.

Kurlee

I know you didn't ask ME this question, but i stopped using Henna because it pretty much bonded to my hair and no matter how many times I dye my hair the color will NOT take. I have about 14 inches in the back that has henna and I'm stuck with this red patch on my hair. Mind you, I haven't henna'd in 5 years and in order to get rid of this I will have to cut my hair.

The only "damage" is the red hue/tint that will never go away. My hair is fine otherwise. I used to love dying my hair brown, but I can't do that anymore.

lawd! Mine is black cherry. So if I try to slap another colour on it won't take? Makes me wonder if it affects the hair's ability to take up moisture.:perplexed

BraunSugar

I have used Bigen multiple times without any issue. I had heard of this before, but I suppose I have been very lucky.

cornaline

Thanks ladies.

Any other word on Water Works ?
@cornaline

I have heard of Water Works and Herbatint, but have tried neither. I stick to what I know when it comes to dye...if it works I just keep using it until it stops working, I find something definitely better, or the company stops making it. I would love to try Herbatint, but I think they only have a "natural black" which to me, equals "ashy black" or a washed out black on my naturally #4 colored hair. I need it to be jet black or blue black to be happy after taking time to dye all this hair.

Thanks - I didn't know either.