The Truth About Yoga

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
pebbles said:
How did I miss this thread???

Supergirl, I have to tell you that I have a new found respect for you, lady!!! You are such a blessing! I stand in awe of you. You are bold, grounded, unwavering, and extremely graceful! Your faithfulness is truly inspiring! You go, girl, and continue to stand bold in JESUS! High-five!! :up:

Ha ha! This thread is OLD, but it keeps resurfacing from time to time. :D Thank you for your edifying words. I have to echo what you told me earlier in PM--it was the Holy Spirit helping me along as I posted and responded in this thread. :yep:

toinette said:
i'm with you vev. yoga is not the portal to alternative lifestyles and religions. drinking alcohol can lead to alcoholism, eating could lead to obesity: should we stop eating and completely refrain from drinking? all of these things are a result of choice. if this person was interested in other lifestyles it was due to her choice to do so, not through yoga.

I have to agree. Some people just have an addictive nature.

Zeal said:
Oh Boy!!! What have I stumbled into . All I did was search on MSM and this came up with 2 other threads don't ask me why.

Sometimes, posts can be vicious.

Well I am saved, know the Lord and he calls me friend. I have always been intereseted in yoga for health and flexibility. It was not a "practice" I never sat and said Ohm Ohm.

I have a myself fitness yoga CD as well as Yoga on the exercise ball as well as Yoga for pain. This has never swayed me in any direction away from Christ. What effects one does not effect all.

My weakness is not others. I too have a sway back.

I had a discussion with my Bible Study teacher about 2 months ago. She was saying how people often associate "everything" with Satan that they are not used ot. She was saying how we can take different things from denominations.

Now don't get it twisted what I am saying.

She was saying as a believer in Jesus Christ we "Protestants" put down Catholics when there are actually some on fire Catholics. In our class she Spoke on how they pray. She spoke of Monks and how they don't talk they just pray and we can learn from that. She spoke of the desert fahters and how they seperated themselves from others to focus "only" on God.

This is where I learned Centering prayer. I pray and then I just sit before the Lord Quiet. No talking, no chanting , no singing. This is where I learned the Examen of Conscience. She stated that people would associate sitting before the Lord quiet as Satantic. Yoga satanic. She looked at me and said Aromatherapy "santanic" because I am a budding aromatherpist.

I am covered in the blood, by the blood, If something ain't right the Holy Spirit will let me know. [

Not doubting that somethings can be Satanic. But not all things

I totally agree with your post. You bible study teacher is right on point

Aissasmommy said:
:mad: Sigh.... I just wrote this really long, (and IMHO great:perplexed ) post and lost it because of my stupid laptop.

So to summarize:

We cannnot cut out all the things in our lives based on the occult or else that would leave us with no Christmas (nothing about this holiday is Christian excpet for Jesus) , Easter (rabbits and eggs), burning certain color candles, aromatherapy and those nice herbal teas we all drink, saying God bless you when someone sneezes, and the list can go on and on. Being in the world and not of the world means, fully participating in life, but with the right motives. So if you want to go to Yoga class and fill your mind with Christ, then do so. We just have to make sure we guard our spirits. Remember, even Jesus went to parties. :grin:

And if you wanna bring Scripture into it:

Romans 14 says:
1Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters. 2One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. 4Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

If you can do it and still maintian, great. If not, great. Just don't fight about it. Christians get into some of the goofiest fights, IMO. If it isn't a kingdom essential which is pretty much summed up by John 3:16, then we can all argue the rest out in heaven. :angel:

God bless you all,

Tolani
LA Lighthouse Church, Pastor

Praise the Lord.

alexstin

I do yoga(for nonspiritual purposes only). I was concerned at first but when I learned about some of the yoga poses I realized I'd been doing some of them all along with other Non yoga videos. Child's pose is used in a lot of non yoga videos to stretch. It's just movement to me. There are only so many poses our body can make, so why would I let the fact that someone calls it a yoga pose affect me.

StrawberryQueen

I do yoga(for nonspiritual purposes only). I was concerned at first but when I learned about some of the yoga poses I realized I'd been doing some of them all along with other Non yoga videos. Child's pose is used in a lot of non yoga videos to stretch. It's just movement to me. There are only so many poses our body can make, so why would I let the fact that someone calls it a yoga pose affect me.
:lachen:Now that you put it like that! I'm not laughing at you, your post was so frank it made me laugh. :look:

N.P.R. Addict

I must say that while I agree that their are many aspects of yoga that certainly represent the occult and can me demonic in nature,

Quite honestly, I am tired of people touting "the word" and then not fully understanding it themselves. The very people who often say things like the Bible says XYZ, often live in contrast to many Biblical practices. For example, the Bible has a set of clearly defined dietary laws, yet many Christians still eat pork, shellfish and loads of forbidden foods. Moreover, G-d established a sabbath (which I currently violate as I type this message) in his Commandments. He even went further to set a certain Holy Days (Day of Atonement, Feast of Unleavened Bread, Feast of Tabernacles, Feast of Trumpets, FeastPentecost) all of which Jesus Christ himself observed and sanctified. Then they pull that lame excuse, "But since Jesus came we are under grace." Well Jesus Christ himself said "I come to fulfill the law." This means that Jesus maintained the original law of the so called Old Testament. (I say so called because "old" means obsolete and no longer necessary but that is quite the contrary. That is the first testament and the foundation for the Christian beleif system)

So yes, you may away with Yoga or various poses within Yoga, but when are you going to get rid of the Christmas Tree, Easter Eggs and Pork?

sugarose

So yes, you may away with Yoga or various poses within Yoga, but when are you going to get rid of the Christmas Tree, Easter Eggs and Pork?

Your post was harsh. :sad:

You have to realize that people are in all stages of their walk with God, and while it seems you feel you have reached the point where you have learned everything there is to learn, not everyone takes those leaps about their knowledge. What I know today someone who just was saved may not find out for months.

Also, a lot of the things you mentioned fall under individual personal conviction, not fact like the history of yoga.

Quite honestly, I am tired of people touting "the word" and then not fully understanding it themselves.

I think you are a little more guilty of this than you realize. :ohwell:

BlkOnyx488

Hey all I just had to weigh in on this topic. When I was growing up I was always told not to do yoga but never explained why it was bad.

IMO this lady has simply taking yoga poses and renamed them. I mean seriously how many different ways can you twist the human body.

After reading her article unless I missed it, I didn't ever read her taking responsibility for her own actions reguardless of Yoga's influence. She can blame yoga all she wants but at the end of the day Yoga didn't make her drink, or have sex with whomever came along. That's not yoga, those are personal choices. Before I was saved I did whatever I wanted to do, However the things that I purposed in my mind not to I didn't. ie I never drank excessively and never around people I didn't know well.

As I said I have heard that Yoga is not good for spiritual reasons. But just because she put a new name on it doesn't change the fact that she is still doing Yoga.

And as far "as god within" Read the bible, It's written that we are gods on earth. We are little "g" gods. Not the big "G" God.

The bible also says we were made in his likeness. I am sorry I can't quote the scripture and verse I know it's in Psalm.

later all

dicapr

I am a christian and have done yoga from time to time. I think it is all in the way it is taught. My instructor did not even mention spirituality. She just made sure body positioning was correct. I do not feel that there is anything wrong with this form of yoga.

StrawberryQueen

I must say that while I agree that their are many aspects of yoga that certainly represent the occult and can me demonic in nature,

Quite honestly, I am tired of people touting "the word" and then not fully understanding it themselves. The very people who often say things like the Bible says XYZ, often live in contrast to many Biblical practices. For example, the Bible has a set of clearly defined dietary laws, yet many Christians still eat pork, shellfish and loads of forbidden foods. Moreover, G-d established a sabbath (which I currently violate as I type this message) in his Commandments. He even went further to set a certain Holy Days (Day of Atonement, Feast of Unleavened Bread, Feast of Tabernacles, Feast of Trumpets, FeastPentecost) all of which Jesus Christ himself observed and sanctified. Then they pull that lame excuse, "But since Jesus came we are under grace." Well Jesus Christ himself said "I come to fulfill the law." This means that Jesus maintained the original law of the so called Old Testament. (I say so called because "old" means obsolete and no longer necessary but that is quite the contrary. That is the first testament and the foundation for the Christian beleif system)

Amen!
Hey all I just had to weigh in on this topic. When I was growing up I was always told not to do yoga but never explained why it was bad.

IMO this lady has simply taking yoga poses and renamed them. I mean seriously how many different ways can you twist the human body.

After reading her article unless I missed it, I didn't ever read her taking responsibility for her own actions reguardless of Yoga's influence. She can blame yoga all she wants but at the end of the day Yoga didn't make her drink, or have sex with whomever came along. That's not yoga, those are personal choices. Before I was saved I did whatever I wanted to do, However the things that I purposed in my mind not to I didn't. ie I never drank excessively and never around people I didn't know well.

As I said I have heard that Yoga is not good for spiritual reasons. But just because she put a new name on it doesn't change the fact that she is still doing Yoga.

And as far "as god within" Read the bible, It's written that we are gods on earth. We are little "g" gods. Not the big "G" God.

The bible also says we were made in his likeness. I am sorry I can't quote the scripture and verse I know it's in Psalm.

later all
Amen again! :clap:

nissi

Excellent post (even though i'm late! lol!)

Thanks SG for exposing the enemy! Yoga (and even Pilates) represents Hindu practices and worship positions, so I don't mess with it! Astrology (also known as divination) is also strongly condemned in the Old Testament and New Testament. (Go to Blueletterbible.org and look it up!)

I personally don't do Easter eggs, but I do celebrate the Resurrection of my Lord and Savior! I don't do Christmas trees, but I use that season to celebrate the Lord's birth! I do limit pork in my diet, since the Word tells me that every creature of God is good and none to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving, for it is sanctified by the Word and prayer (1 Tim. 4:4). I make the choice to order my life by the Word and not human traditions.

We cannot be unaware and ignorant of the enemy's machinations in the unseen realm! Saints, be on your guard! Thanks again, SG!

melodee

Yoga, TM,Visualization techniques--all of these can open you up to a spirit world in the realm where we as Christians should not be.

Just be careful, and do not compromise. The intent of these is to transcend the spirit beyond the body--and is rooted in pantheism.

There IS a realm...it's not make believe...but we don't want to go there.

No harm in stretching for relaxation...but be discerning--keep your ears and eyes open .

FeelinIt

Supergirl, if people use horoscopes as their guide through life, then certainly they are not inaccordance with Christianity. To me, using yoga simply as a form of exercise is not comparable to this.

i agree. I always thought it was just another workout myself.