YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hope everyones summer is going well thus far!:wave: I'm getting several comments that my hair has grown which is nice, but I know I have to trim my ends so its bittersweet:ohwell:

Ladies I need to re-up on my Aloe, have you found difference between AVJ AVG or whole leaf? I used lily of the earth AVG in the past and my hair loved it but I saw the other versions on amazon and it made me wonder...

Have any HiPo ladies tried the eco styler black castor and flaxseed gel?

I tried the Eco Black Castor and Flaxseed Gel. Excellent on my hair.

cutiepiebabygirl

I think I've finally have a routine to help me seal in moisture :yay:. The first thing I did is went back to applying my protein conditioner on dry dirty hair. My hair seems to accept the protein better since the water isn't blocking my hair strands.

So for my sealing, I made a watered down version of kimmaytube leave in and I applied it while I was in the shower. I then let it set for 15 min with a shower cap. I read on a blog that to get moisture in the hair it takes 15 min for the water to absorb. After 15 min, I applied my favorite gel which is super wet gel then twisted my hair. I then used kimmaytube's L2 stretch which is roll the twist on magnetic rollers then sitting under a dryer to dry. My hair finally felt moisturized and it was nicely stretched so I could install my loose twist. I'm very happy with my hair. I think my hair needs indirect heat and it needs to be stretched. I eliminated heavy butters, oils, and grease which usually leaves my hair greasy and dry. I thought I needed to heavy seal but I've discovered I only needed a leave in and gel. Who knew! :grin:

Yes! I have discovered this also. I only need a moisturizing leave-in and gel. I don't have to have butter/oil to have moisture.

I will add a mix of JBCO and jojoba for shine after my hair has dried, but that is all I need.

I am in grow mode now, so I'll use up my stash (butters/oils) because I'll be hiding my hair under my wig.

LavenderMint

Anyone else here a heavy sweating gym rats? I’m in the gym 2 to 4 times a week and right now I’m just living in twists and washing once a week. I’m worried about not getting sweat off my scalp more often but I’m also worried about wetting my hair so much.
Any strategies or suggestions are welcomed.

IronButterfly

Anyone else here a heavy sweating gym rats? I’m in the gym 2 to 4 times a week and right now I’m just living in twists and washing once a week. I’m worried about not getting sweat off my scalp more often but I’m also worried about wetting my hair so much.
I work out, too, and have been leaving my hair in coils. If you're worried about sweat on your scalp, but don't want the hassle of wetting your hair everyday, why not get an applicator bottle and fill it was a aloe vera juice or distilled water (or a combo of both) and just apply it to your scalp as a gentle rinse (massage it in)? You don't have to take your twist outs for that. I've been using Netwurks 21 on my scalp like that and it makes me feel refreshed.

charmtreese

I skate (roller derby) 2+x a week. I normally wash once every two weeks and I sweat pretty heavy under my helmet. I use one of those sweat wicking hair scarfs when I skate, and they tend to do a pretty good job! Oh, and I keep my hair in twist anytime I’m going to work out heavy!

charmtreese

I work out, too, and have been leaving my hair in coils. If you're worried about sweat on your scalp, but don't want the hassle of wetting your hair everyday, why not get an applicator bottle and fill it was a aloe vera juice or distilled water (or a combo of both) and just apply it to your scalp as a gentle rinse (massage it in)? You don't have to take your twist outs for that. I've been using Netwurks 21 on my scalp like that and it makes me feel refreshed.

Yes!!!! Networks 21 really helps too!!!

LavenderMint

I skate (roller derby) 2+x a week. I normally wash once every two weeks and I sweat pretty heavy under my helmet. I use one of those sweat wicking hair scarfs when I skate, and they tend to do a pretty good job! Oh, and I keep my hair in twist anytime I’m going to work out heavy!
Thank you, ladies!! I have a few bottles of Networks 21. That is a great use of it. I’ll give that a shot on Thursday- tonight I’ll just wash my hair and do 2 banded ponytails.

A sweat wicking hair scarf? I need to check that out too. (Roller derby sounds bad@$$!!)

charmtreese

Thank you, ladies!! I have a few bottles of Networks 21. That is a great use of it. I’ll give that a shot on Thursday- tonight I’ll just wash my hair and do 2 banded ponytails.

A sweat wicking hair scarf? I need to check that out too. (Roller derby sounds bad@$$!!)

The gym wrap by nicole ari parker is the brad I use. https://thegymwrap.com/collections/womens-gymwraps

Also, roller derby is awesome. I wish more women of color played the sport, most cities have a league, you should look into it!

mamarama

Bottom line : Nothing wowed me or something I'd repurchase. I still have about 1/3 left and I bought it in May.

COCO CREME LEAVE-IN CONDITIONER - Decent

HONEY BUTTERCREAM MOISTURIZER - Okay

MARSHMALLOW HERBAL HAIR CREAM - Meh

SUGAR PEACH SUPER MOIST CONDITIONER - Bad

Oh Lord, I just ordered this and it cost over 20 bucks with shipping. I better like it.

naturalyogini

So I tried it. It felt real good going on but it didn't provide lasting moisture. Do you have any recommendations for good leave ins?
So far Inahsi leave in works ok. They are currently having a sale.
In the warmer months, I like Sheamoisture extra moisture leave in. It's basically glycerin and oil in a bottle.

Aggie

@naturalyogini and @mamarama, do you ladies heavy seal your moisturizer with a thicker butter like shea butter, for example. I believe with high porosity hair, heavy sealing is necessary to keep the moisture locked in the hair much longer. That's what I do and it works wonderfully. A good example is SSI Marula Hemp Hair Cream or any of the other creams in this line, sealed in with SSI Seyani or Kiwi Butter. This also leaves my hair pretty soft.

naturalyogini

@naturalyogini and @mamarama, do you ladies heavy seal your moisturizer with a thicker butter like shea butter, for example. I believe with high porosity hair, heavy sealing is necessary to keep the moisture locked in the hair much longer. That's what I do and it works wonderfully. A good example is SSI Marula Hemp Hair Cream or any of the other creams in this line, sealed in with SSI Seyani or Kiwi Butter. This also leaves my hair pretty soft.
My hair hates butter and oil while wet/damp, so the LOC METHOD doesn't work for me.

Aggie

My hair hates butter and oil while wet/damp, so the LOC METHOD doesn't work for me.
Okay gotcha. I thought it didn't work for me either until I actually tried it and waited a day later to see how well it worked and the results were awesome, not the day of the heavy sealing but a whole day later. But then again that's for my hair. Was just wondering if you tried it. Everyone's hair is different. I'm really sorry it didn't work for you.

mamarama

No I can't stand Shea butter. However I use castor oil when possible.

Sally.

@YvetteWithJoy I have a fairly short main routine of water rinse, clay and gel (I don't use leave-ins on my hair but I do condition before my clay, if I feel like it). It's still long for me because I like to take my time and I don't use combs often.

I make my own clay mask adding silk amino acids- and can tell the difference when I leave them out. I still use a protein conditioner because SAA are a mild protein for me and leave my hair feeling smooth.

I've never tried a ready made clay mask.
hi there. if you don't mind me asking:
-what effect does the SAA have on your hair?
-where do you get your SAA from
-how much SAA do you add to your clay recipe for your hair?

GGsKin

hi there. if you don't mind me asking:
-what effect does the SAA have on your hair?
-where do you get your SAA from
-how much SAA do you add to your clay recipe for your hair?

Hi, I don't mind at all.
Silk amino acids help my hair strands to feel strong and smooth, without feeling hard or like it's building up. Overall, I also think I get a little more shine with regular use. The difference seems subtle but I can tell when I haven't used them in my clay mix.

I've always ordered the powder from Amazon. I wanted to try the liquid but I just can't do the lotioncrafter shipping.

For my hair, I make between 14-16 floz of clay and often add 1 level teaspoon. I either mix with a little water first, or just add the powder to my mix.

Sally.

Hi, I don't mind at all.
Silk amino acids help my hair strands to feel strong and smooth, without feeling hard or like it's building up. Overall, I also think I get a little more shine with regular use. The difference seems subtle but I can tell when I haven't used them in my clay mix.

I've always ordered the powder from Amazon. I wanted to try the liquid but I just can't do the lotioncrafter shipping.

For my hair, I make between 14-16 floz of clay and often add 1 level teaspoon. I either mix with a little water first, or just add the powder to my mix.
Nice, thanks for your response! I'll put them on my list to experiment with next.

BlackMasterPiece

Been trying some new things and revisiting tried and true products and thought I'd share

Revisited Aphogee 2 step and I'm sold all over again, it really replenishes the strength and structure in the strands like nothing else. I think I'm officially over Henna as a protein treatment, gonna stick to doing my hardcore protein treatments every 6 weeks as it says on the bottle my hair thanks me for it every time.

ACV spritz for detangling is as amazing as everyone says, before my most recent wash I tried it in a 1:3 ratio in a fine mist bottle I have and my hair felt sooo smooth and almost silky and the shed hairs just slipped right out. Another thing I noticed was my hair wasn't reverting very much even when I was a bit generous with my misting whereas when I mist with plain water it would. I think the way this lays the hair cuticle down is super helpful for my HiPo hair and its a new staple. I'm considering adding a final rinse of it after deep conditioning but we'll see.

Tried Creme of Nature Argan Oil Moisturizing shampoo and its awesome, it cleanses the hair and scalp without stripping it. I dont have to do so much to replenish moisture back in my hair and my hair doesn't dry out to the extent it used to I love it and its my current fave shampoo.

Oil rinsing after a DC with EVOO is :love: I started out oil rinsing but after a while I really enjoyed just liberally applying it to wet hair in sections and just leaving it in, my hair felt so moisturized bouncy and silky.

I'm still struggling to get the hang of finger detangling I tried it with herbal essences hello hydration and it wasn't cutting it, gonna try Aussie moist next time around and see how successful I am.

Still loving adding EVOO and honey to all my DCs as a booster, makes a world of difference.