snoop

From the As I am website. I was going to try the products until I saw these ph levels

As I Am® Curl Clarity Shampoo pH 5.50
As I Am® Cleansing Pudding+ pH 4.50
As I Am® Coconut Cowash Cleansing Conditioner pH 5.50
As I Am® Hydration Elation® Intensive Conditioner pH 5.50
As I Am® Leave-In Conditioner pH 5.50
As I Am® Detangling Conditioner pH 6.50
As I Am® Curling Jelly pH 4.50
As I Am® Twist Defining Cream pH 6.50
As I Am® Double Butter Cream pH 5.50
As I Am® CocoShea Whip pH 3.50
As I Am® Moisture Milk pH 5.00
As I Am® Coco Shea Spray pH 5.50
As I Am® So Much Moisture!TM pH 6.0
As I Am® Smoothing Gel pH 5.50

What's wrong with the pH levels?

SheWalks

Got my Silk amino acids (lotioncrafters is quick), kaolin clay, another liter of Jessicurl, camille rose curlaide, & almond jai . As far as leave in and twisting butters go CR is winning for me. I haven't touched oyin hair dew or shine & define in weeks. My hair just feels & looks amazing. I'm going to have a fun time experimenting this weekend. I have a hard time buying new products these days, nothing tempts me I'm happy but sad at the same time :(.

Royalq

So I have oyin hair dew and it's nice as a leave in but it's not moisturizing enough to be used as a moisturizer. I'm still on the hunt for a moisturizing glycerin free product with a low ph. Any suggestions? My hair dislikes butters but loves castor oil.

meka72

Ladies who clay wash, would you mind sharing your recipe? I'm toying with buying some Morrocan red clay to experiment with, but don't know what to add to it besides AVJ.

@AbsyBlvd & @kodochax, I see y'all mentioned clay recently. Y'all are doing MHM right? I lurked in that threat for awhile but never took the plunge.

Thanks!

GGsKin

Did a moisturising rhassoul clay mask/ wash today with clay, water, hibiscus tea, silk amino acids and ACV.

Ladies who clay wash, would you mind sharing your recipe? I'm toying with buying some Morrocan red clay to experiment with, but don't know what to add to it besides AVJ.

@AbsyBlvd & @kodochax, I see y'all mentioned clay recently. Y'all are doing MHM right? I lurked in that threat for awhile but never took the plunge.

Thanks!

:hiya: @meka72 I've pasted my most recent mix from the '2017 Coffee/Tea/ Clay/Ayurv.thread'. I've never used the red Moroccan clay but I use rhassoul/ ghassoul, and bentonite clay often. I'm looking to try some Kaolin too. The main liquid I use in my mix is water. I like mixing it with steeped hibiscus and/or marshmallow root because I find them very moisturising for my hair. It also brings down the pH.

I do a modified version of MHM. I rarely if ever the baking soda mix or ACV (in amounts) as specified in the original regimen. I really go by how my hair feels. Sometimes I dilute my con but often I don't. Sometimes I just water rinse.

Last edited:

meka72

Thanks @AbsyBlvd ! I'll order some of those powders next week. I think the Moroccan clay is the same as rhqssoul clay. I think I inadvertently added "red" in there. Lol.

I'll also check out the thread you mentioned. Thanks!

GGsKin

Thanks @AbsyBlvd ! I'll order some of those powders next week. I think the Moroccan clay is the same as rhqssoul clay. I think I inadvertently added "red" in there. Lol.

I'll also check out the thread you mentioned. Thanks!

You're welcome @meka72 . There is a red clay and their names are often interchanged because they are both from Morocco. I used to think what is known as Moroccan red clay and rhassoul (pinky brown) were the same but I think someone in the MHM thread (I can't remember who smh) lead me to info proving otherwise. The red clay is more orangey in colour and can leave a stain.

meka72

Thanks for clarifying that!

You're welcome @meka72 . There is a red clay and their names are often interchanged because they are both from Morocco. I used to think what is known as Moroccan red clay and rhassoul (pinky brown) were the same but I think someone in the MHM thread (I can't remember who smh) lead me to info proving otherwise. The red clay is more orangey in colour and can leave a stain.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
This thread has been kind of dead this year so I'm hoping we can revive this thread because a sister needs some hi po help! :giggle:

I'm type 4 a/b with fine to normal strands and low to medium density

What are your staples/holy grails? I haven't found any holy grails as of yet.

What gives you the best curl definition? DIY clay treatment

Whats your favorite
  • Gel: Super Wet Aloe Gel has been the only gel that I like cuz it doesn't contain glycerin.
  • moisturizer: Still don't have one (I've tried Oyin hair dew but it does nothing for my hair) I've tried Camille Rose curl love moisture milk (I use to love it until she changed the formula. I've tried SM curl enhancing smoothie (My hair hated that too)
  • DC: Claudie's Revitalizing normalizing conditioner (I really like this one), SM JBCO strengthen grow & restore treatment masque, SM hi po DC, SM frizz defense hair masque
  • leave in: Still looking but currently using a watered down kimmaytube recipe
  • Oils: castor, argan oil, and coconut to prepoo
  • edge control: curls control paste
  • shampoo: SM hi po poo
  • co-wash: I stopped cowashing
What have been your most effective length retention methods? So far protective styling has been the only thing that has worked.

So far what I no is my hair hates glycerin in my leave in products. It doesn't bother me in DCs or poos. I'm still looking for a good leave in. I'm going back to natures blessing grease to seal cuz oils & butters aren't working. I can't where out styles cuz my hair sucks up all the moisture in the air and turns into a big old puff ball. I lose definition and moisture within minutes! It's so frustrating :wallbash:. I may start back using products with silicones in them cuz so far these natural products aren't working for my hair. I'm open for any suggestions ladies :grin:.

naturalyogini

This thread has been kind of dead this year so I'm hoping we can revive this thread because a sister needs some hi po help! :giggle:

I'm type 4 a/b with fine to normal strands and low to medium density

What are your staples/holy grails? I haven't found any holy grails as of yet.

What gives you the best curl definition? DIY clay treatment

Whats your favorite
  • Gel: Super Wet Aloe Gel has been the only gel that I like cuz it doesn't contain glycerin.
  • moisturizer: Still don't have one (I've tried Oyin hair dew but it does nothing for my hair) I've tried Camille Rose curl love moisture milk (I use to love it until she changed the formula. I've tried SM curl enhancing smoothie (My hair hated that too)
  • DC: Claudie's Revitalizing normalizing conditioner (I really like this one), SM JBCO strengthen grow & restore treatment masque, SM hi po DC, SM frizz defense hair masque
  • leave in: Still looking but currently using a watered down kimmaytube recipe
  • Oils: castor, argan oil, and coconut to prepoo
  • edge control: curls control paste
  • shampoo: SM hi po poo
  • co-wash: I stopped cowashing
What have been your most effective length retention methods? So far protective styling has been the only thing that has worked.

So far what I no is my hair hates glycerin in my leave in products. It doesn't bother me in DCs or poos. I'm still looking for a good leave in. I'm going back to natures blessing grease to seal cuz oils & butters aren't working. I can't where out styles cuz my hair sucks up all the moisture in the air and turns into a big old puff ball. I lose definition and moisture within minutes! It's so frustrating :wallbash:. I may start back using products with silicones in them cuz so far these natural products aren't working for my hair. I'm open for any suggestions ladies :grin:.
Well I have hi-po hair and so far natural products don't work for me. I like Miss Jessie's Sweetback and Rapid Recovery. Aestalance hair repair emulsion and conditioner. Inahsi was my leave-in until it stopped working so I don't have a leave-in. All of the stylers I've tried make my hair hard as a rock. My next and last natural tries will be Curl Dynasty and Treluxe. If those don't work I'll try Madame CJ Walker and Ouidad triple immersion. If those don't work, it's the big chop for me.

SheWalks

My current regimen on wash day is:

1. Clay mask/wash with bentonite+water+honey+citric acid
2. Jessicurl too shea + 8ml of Hydrolyzed keratin (this is my protein treatment/deep conditioner/leave in conditioner all in one)
3. Stretch hair
&
4. Twist with camille rose curlaide butter

@meka72 I keep it simple these days and just use Sodium Bentonite, honey, water & citric acid(to lower the PH) I don't even measure I just add until I get the consistency I like which is a thick paste. No MHM at the moment, I'm going to pick it back up in the warmer months.

@tashb

meka72

Thanks @kodochax! I haven't tried the clay yet but may give it a try soon. I have everything that you listed except citric acid but may sub vinegar and finally bust out my good ph strips.

vevster

I have fine 4a color treated hair.

I've benefited by conditioning for less time 15 minutes with protein based conditioners and only on wash day using a spray with cones to smooth my cuticle.

After starting with The Mane Choice line I have less shedding and even on wash day my hair is moisturized.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
I have fine 4a color treated hair.

I've benefited by conditioning for less time 15 minutes with protein based conditioners and only on wash day using a spray with cones to smooth my cuticle.

After starting with The Mane Choice line I have less shedding and even on wash day my hair is moisturized.
@vevster so far how do you like the Mane Choice for your hi po hair? Which products have you tried? I'm interested in trying mane choice but I wasn't sure it would work on hi po hair. It got good reviews on YouTube and on Sally's website which is why I wanted to try it at some point.

vevster

@vevster so far how do you like the Mane Choice for your hi po hair? Which products have you tried? I'm interested in trying mane choice but I wasn't sure it would work on hi po hair. It got good reviews on YouTube and on Sally's website which is why I wanted to try it at some point.

I'm obsessed with the line I love the
Gel
daily moisturizer
Green tea deep conditioner

I've tried a lot of the popular lines and I'm gravitating to this one.

The 3 in 1 cowash, detangler, leave in smells of cloves which I hate.

I have the hair butter and got the hydrating spray yesterday. Still playing with those.

Give 1 or more of my top 3 a try!

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
I'm obsessed with the line I love the
Gel
daily moisturizer
Green tea deep conditioner

I've tried a lot of the popular lines and I'm gravitating to this one.

The 3 in 1 cowash, detangler, leave in smells of cloves which I hate.

I have the hair butter and got the hydrating spray yesterday. Still playing with those.

Give 1 or more of my top 3 a try!
@vevster thanks for answering my questions :grin:. I'm going to give the daily moisturizer and maybe the deep conditioner a try but I need to check the ingredients first.
I've just checked the ingredients of the moisturizer and the 2nd ingredient is glycerin so I won't be able to try that one cuz it will turn my hair poofy :naughty:. I may try the 3 in 1 or the kids green apple leave in since those are glycerin free.

Last edited:

SheWalks

Just realized my comment was cut off.

@tashboog have you tried upping the amount of protein you're using on wash day? Getting the appropriate amount of protein in my hair has fixed a majority of my hair issues.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Just realized my comment was cut off.

@tashboog have you tried upping the amount of protein you're using on wash day? Getting the appropriate amount of protein in my hair has fixed a majority of my hair issues.
@kodochax I use protein on a regular basis. That includes conditioners and protein treatments. My hair is just special. I've been trying to figure out my hair for years. I've even tried leave ins with proteins but my hair air dries crunchy. Right now I'm in puffy twist extension cuz my hair has been so disrespectful :lol:. Once I'm out of these extensions, I will do some more experimenting. I do appreciate your advice :grin:.

janiebaby

So I have oyin hair dew and it's nice as a leave in but it's not moisturizing enough to be used as a moisturizer. I'm still on the hunt for a moisturizing glycerin free product with a low ph. Any ty suggestions? My hair dislikes butters but loves castor oil.

@Royalq asked a question thats similar to what I'm about to ask.....I need a recommendation for a hair grease. My search on the board keeps referring to My Honey Child's Sophia Hair Grease and I was wondering if any highpo ladies have used it before I order online.

I also need a suggestion for something I can pick up in store as well if it's not too much to ask.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I haven't posted here in awhile.

I've finally nailed down my staple and holy grail products. Not pictured is Qhemet Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee which is AWESOME. I just haven't pinned down how I want to use it in my regimen yet. Also, for days that I don't feel like messing with the mud-poo, the 22nd Century Natural Woman shampoo bar will be my cleanser. It's awesome on my hair.

View media item 129139

SheWalks

@Royalq asked a question thats similar to what I'm about to ask.....I need a recommendation for a hair grease. My search on the board keeps referring to My Honey Child's Sophia Hair Grease and I was wondering if any highpo ladies have used it before I order online.

I also need a suggestion for something I can pick up in store as well if it's not too much to ask.

Never tried the myhoneychild. I'm still playing around with sealers but oyin burnt sugar is my go to. They also have another scents sugar berries. You should be able to find either scent on target or sallys.

Ricinus communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Hydrogenated Glycine soja (Soybean) Oil, Organic Virgin Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Mangifera indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Olea europaea (Olive) Oil, Unrefined Cannabis sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Theobroma cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Brassica oleracea italica (Broccoli) Seed Oil, Fragrance.

SheWalks

Added a midweek clay wash after work on wednesday. I didn't enjoy the time it took up but my hair that is a usually in deep need of moisture Friday night was still moisturized and pliable yesterday so wash day gets to move to Sunday :drunk:.Im going to do it again next week. I've given up curl junkie daily fix for clay washes so more money saved!

Also testing out a new gel to give my twists some hold it's koils by nature. Going to give it a few weeks and report back but so far so good.

janiebaby

Never tried the myhoneychild. I'm still playing around with sealers but oyin burnt sugar is my go to. They also have another scents sugar berries. You should be able to find either scent on target or sallys.

Ricinus communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Hydrogenated Glycine soja (Soybean) Oil, Organic Virgin Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Mangifera indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Olea europaea (Olive) Oil, Unrefined Cannabis sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Theobroma cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Brassica oleracea italica (Broccoli) Seed Oil, Fragrance.

Thank you! This may be similar to the nourish and shine I have hmmm