The Ultimate Hardcore No Heat Challenge 2013

ManiiSweetheart

I've been doing okay in the no heat and binning 24/7 department since my schedule is super crazy right now and I don't have time for much more than this....

nakialovesshoes

Hi all. Checking in. No heat or manipulation going on over here. Though I took my weave out, I still have the cornrow beehive in. Tomorrow will be 5 weeks that they've been in. I'm going to keep them in for 3 more weeks. When I take them down I think I'm going to do a rollerset.

I've been using GroAut oil as a growth aid. I will be adding NJoy's potion to the routine. I'm excited b/c I prettymuch know my staples & am already formulating my Black Friday strategy. <insert evil laugh here>

Next year I will only have to experiment with products for a nice WNG. OT But have any of you ladies tried SM's Purification Masque? My hair & scalp loves it. I think it's the clay in it. My hair seems to love clay - i.e. Anita Grant & Terressentials.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Curlywurly10

Helloo, quick update as I haven't posted in a while. I'm still heat free, I started a little earlier than this challenge and I will be 6 months heat free as of next week. I can't believe I've last this long as I used to flat iron my hair everyday if not twice a day!! My hair feels good and has definitely grown. I just found out I'm going to be working on a cruise so I think I will be getting a weave as a protective style as of May but until then my hair is in a bun!

Evo-ny

Checking in! Still haven't used heat, still only bunning and doing braid outs. I need a new style that doesn't require extensions and I don't want to wear a wig.

I think I might go on Etsy and splurge on some hairsticks.

I remember sometime early last year I was on YouTube and watched a video of these twins doing their annual no heat challenge. They said that they wouldn't flat iron their hair for 6 months of the year and I thought they were crazy!! Now I'm about 5 months since my last flat ironing and it's been a breeze!

I actually might want to keep going until my vacation in spring 2014, but curiosity might get the better of me.

Seamonster

Glad everyone is doing well. Next month should be a little easier. It takes a few months to figure out how to start to use no heat. I am going to put my length check in at the end of the month. Also going to post a new heatless hairstyle.

nakialovesshoes

Glad everyone is doing well. Next month should be a little easier. It takes a few months to figure out how to start to use no heat. I am going to put my length check in at the end of the month. Also going to post a new heatless hairstyle.

Seamonster I think I'm going to do a length check at the end of month as well.

Ijanei

I had forgot to come in and post a pic of the one and only heat pass I used. I straightened my hair for the first time in 2 months and found no trouble at all. NO problem areas, no breakage, nor any splits.

I did however realize I had some thick a** hair. Good gracious, I didn't realize it was that thick until I took pics. I am natural so I guess I should have expected that it would have taken me about an hour + to straighten it out.

Anyhow, here are some pics. Hope you enjoy

Seamonster

I had forgot to come in and post a pic of the one and only heat pass I used. I straightened my hair for the first time in 2 months and found no trouble at all. NO problem areas, no breakage, nor any splits.

I did however realize I had some thick a** hair. Good gracious, I didn't realize it was that thick until I took pics. I am natural so I guess I should have expected that it would have taken me about an hour + to straighten it out.

Anyhow, here are some pics. Hope you enjoy

Ijanei That is great news, and your hair looks so thick and lovely, :gorgeous:. So glad you posted that beautiful hair.

Last edited:

nakialovesshoes

@ljanei You are right. You do have very thick hair & it is gorgeous! How you wearing it when you're not using heat?

Evo-ny

Thanks to not using heat, my hair stopped breaking and I'm finally gaining length, which in turn makes my braid outs look so much better, which in turn makes me not want to use heat! Love it! I hated the way my braid outs looked before, now it's my go to style.

Can't believe our first check in is coming up so fast! I don't want to go back to my flatironista until there is a significant difference from the last time I got my hair done. I'm going out of town in June and I'll do everything in my power to not flat iron before my trip.

toyas08

~SIGH~ I was amped to straighten my hair for my birthday in April and noticed that I'm doing ultimate challenge 3 ( no heat in 2013). Oh Sweet Baby Jesus!!!

Can I roller set???

Seamonster

toyas08 yes rollersets are fine, if you decide to iron, just get back on the wagon after your birthday. Either way, we would like to see your birthday hairstyle

Ijanei

@ljanei You are right. You do have very thick hair & it is gorgeous! How you wearing it when you're not using heat?

Thanks nakialovesshoes, sorry I'm late.
Most of the time, I'm either between wash n go's or I wet wrap it so it's straight (pics attached). It doesn't get as straight as the iron but it allows me to do a lot with it. I mostly wear it half up/half down. Other than that, wash-n-go it is.
(Don't mind the face pic, I had a face mask on so I blocked it out:look:)

Right now however, I am in box braids

Attachments

• Dry wrap - NO heat.jpg
    Dry wrap - NO heat.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Wash-n-go(1).jpg
    Wash-n-go(1).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Wash-n-go.jpg
    Wash-n-go.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 37

ManiiSweetheart

Used my one year heat pass today. Omly used heat with the flat iron, my sister can work magic with a blow dryer on the cool setting. Thanks to no heat and bunning since December im getting way better retention then I was when I didnt this time last year. Closing in on MBL !

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130322_190006.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130322_190006.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 28
  • ForumRunner_20130322_190050.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130322_190050.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

BonBon

I have no heat pass, but am thinking about heat:look:

Haven't ironed for over 2 years so I feel curious. Will wait though as it will be a better surprise (sigh)

Seamonster

Here is a style and my length check. I meant to have these up by March 31, but I got caught up doing all of the other length checks.

I am hoping to be able to wear my a-line bob again by the end of the year. My last trim was December so I am thinking of trimming at the end of the month. Right now I am finger detangling, but will use a comb to trim my ends. I might wait until June to trim so that I can see how much hair I retain finger detangling. We shall see.

Oh I am covering my hair for the month of april.

Attachments

• P2050009.jpg
    P2050009.jpg
    510 KB · Views: 40
  • P4020090.jpg
    P4020090.jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 37
  • P4020085.jpg
    P4020085.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 34

nakialovesshoes

Howdy. I used another heat pass & blew my hair out for beehive cornrows. I'm wigging it until June. Here are some pics...

image-2309948802.jpg

image-3398189706.jpg

image-457960600.jpg

image-1088482390.jpg

toyas08

So I did flat iron my hair for my birthday but it looks more like a blow out. So I put it in a princess braided updo which was super cute. I'm also APL :yep: Woot! Woot! But I miss my curls, I'll be washing my hair after I do a little dusting. Surprisingly my ends look great. :spinning:

Attachments

• image-2825885682.jpg
    image-2825885682.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

jesusislove1526

Checking in ladies! Still not using any heat, at least until my possible May blowout for my 2nd curlyversary. I may do a heatless one instead, but we will see.

freckledface

Seamonster noyou didn't miss it BUT you did call me out! lol I've been LAZY!

I think this challenge combined with the vit. challenge has finally gotten me to bsl.

Attachments

• PicsArt_1365428300550.jpg
    PicsArt_1365428300550.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 25