The W-Shape Support Thread

HairBarbie

This thread is for all those that have the infamous W shaped hair, where the middle part of the hair is noticably shorter than the sides. If you have this condition, what are you doing to get rid of it?

Also those that turned their hair from a W-Shape to a U/V-Shape/Blunt can you give the rest of us some pointers?

Right now, I am massaging the middle part with vatika oil every few days, I am also adding more moisture to that part. I can't figure out why my hair wouldn't grow out this shape.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
When I moisturize/condition that area I use more product. I also realize that that hair is a different texture than the rest of my hair so I now use more care when handling/combing that area.

HairBarbie

When I moisturize/condition that area I use more product. I also realize that that hair is a different texture than the rest of my hair so I now use more care when handling/combing that area.

The rest of my hair is like a 4a, but it seems like that area is a 2c.

HairBarbie

I'm the opposite. That area is 4b while the rest of my hair is 4a. If relaxed, I would suggest doing that area last.

I've started doing that the last couple of relaxers. It's soo frustrating. Ugh, I really don't want to get a cut.

Butterfly08

Maybe you could try trimming the longer hair 1/8 of an inch more than the part in the middle, so that over time all the hair will be even. You may also want to consider if your styling choices (buns, french rolls, hair pins, etc.) are contributing to breakage in certain spots. Also, baby your ends with lots of moisture to keep them soft and supple.

OP, do you trim regularly?

HairBarbie

Maybe you could try trimming the longer hair 1/8 of an inch more than the part in the middle, so that over time all the hair will be even. You may also want to consider if your styling choices (buns, french rolls, hair pins, etc.) are contributing to breakage in certain spots. Also, baby your ends with lots of moisture to keep them soft and supple.

OP, do you trim regularly?
No, I don't trim regularly, but I'm going to start, beginning with my next relaxer. I braid my hair into one single braid and then pin it up in the middle. Maybe that's contributing to it.

My hair is an upsidedown V-shape in the back, so maybe that's contributing to it.

Sui Topi

I had this due to breakage, ugh it was so annoying, I would always pull my hair over my shoulder whenever I wore it down. It is eventually what lead me to bc. I don't even know what had happened to it to cause that split.

bermudabeauty

I too was a victim of the Wu Tang Klan but...I just cut it and started over. Now I am trying protective styles and moisture. I just had to stop doing what was contributing to the breakage. In my experience it was draw string ponytails. I would use the comb that comes in the ponytail. I really don't use them anymore and if I do I just don't use the comb that comes in the ponytail and I don't sleep in the ponytail. I am trying to do different protective styles to my hair to avoid the attraction of the ponytail, especially in this 105 degree weather were having. Take a look at my fotki for some protective style ideas.

HairBarbie

I too was a victim of the Wu Tang Klan but...I just cut it and started over. Now I am trying protective styles and moisture. I just had to stop doing what was contributing to the breakage. In my experience it was draw string ponytails. I would use the comb that comes in the ponytail. I really don't use them anymore and if I do I just don't use the comb that comes in the ponytail and I don't sleep in the ponytail. I am trying to do different protective styles to my hair to avoid the attraction of the ponytail, especially in this 105 degree weather were having. Take a look at my fotki for some protective style ideas.

But the thing is that I don't get breakage from that part of my hair/head. I'm off to stalk your fotki, your hair is gorgeous. :grin:

I'm part of that Wu-Tang clan ( see below ). Since this picture I have trimmed 3.5 inches off my hair. My concern is how do I keep this from happening again. I'm down for any advice also.

LongiLox

Trimming does not help at all. I have trimmed my hair before to make everything even, but the sides still grow faster than the middle. It's as if that middle area just does not grow at all. I am very very frustrated at this point. The only thing I am now thinking of doing is using a topical growth aid on that area only and hopefuly it will catch up with the rest of my hair.

Are there any recommendations for good topical growth aids that can help grow the middle of one's nape?

jovan787

Trimming does not help at all. I have trimmed my hair before to make everything even, but the sides still grow faster than the middle. It's as if that middle area just does not grow at all. I am very very frustrated at this point. The only thing I am now thinking of doing is using a topical growth aid on that area only and hopefuly it will catch up with the rest of my hair.

Are there any recommendations for good topical growth aids that can help grow the middle of one's nape?

Thats what Im afraid of. If I cut it, itll grow back the same way no matter what preventive measures I take :wallbash:. I think Ill slowly trim until Im full BSL. Unfortunately that means Ill likely have the "W" shape for a while but Ill just have to live with it :rolleyes:

Artemis

Ah yes, the infamous wu-tang. I made a thread about this last year. I cut that stuff off and increased my frequency of protein products (not just meaning the conditioners, I found some moisturizers too) and it has gotten so much better. Still there, but not nearly as noticeable as last year. Regular trims ("regular" is subjective of course) are necessary IMO.

LongiLox

Thats what Im afraid of. If I cut it, itll grow back the same way no matter what preventive measures I take :wallbash:. I think Ill slowly trim until Im full BSL. Unfortunately that means Ill likely have the "W" shape for a while but Ill just have to live with it :rolleyes:

Unfortunately. It means I will have to live with it for another three years while I wait for the middle of my nape to catch up with the rest of my hair. Then I can maintain that length to keep it even. :wallbash::wallbash:

LongiLox

I'm part of the Wu-Tang Clan too. I've been struggling with it for years.

This first pic shows it well http://public.fotki.com/Pokahontas/2008/my-comparison-pics/straightcomparison.html

All I can say do is be very delicate with your ends, moisturize and seal daily, keep manipulation low and very little direct heat. Also, frequent dustings are pretty much necessary unless you don't mind showing the W.

For me it will be more than dusting. I will have to cut off at least 2 inches to get my hair to be all even. And that will also mean going from APL to shoulder length. :(

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
For me it will be more than dusting. I will have to cut off at least 2 inches to get my hair to be all even. And that will also mean going from APL to shoulder length. :(
Yes you're right....I should've said dusting to maintain.

I had to do a big trim at first too...about 2 inches, then I kept it dusted to maintain the shape. Sometimes when i don't dust for a long time it creeps right back up on me.

I've decided to start shaping my hair in a V-shape instead of blunt to see how that goes. It may be disasterous though, lol.

this is my problem!!! but my question is if i keep dusting or trimming or downright cutting to keep it looking decent then how will ever retain length??? there has to be an explanation for this!

sydney100

I'm part of Wu team as well. I actually had my hair evened out in July and guess what??? It's back Wu again. I give up. I have used protective styling alll Summer and Fall. It is what it is... I give up..

raloftin

I'm part of Wu team as well. I actually had my hair evened out in July and guess what??? It's back Wu again. I give up. I have used protective styling alll Summer and Fall. It is what it is... I give up..

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I was initiated into the Wu Tang Clan about 2 1/2 years ago.I've been a dedicated consistent member every since.Can't seem to break away from the game:nono:...If anyone has been successful please share.:ohwell:

scarcity21

i wholr heartedly agree...ive trimmed a couple times, same growth pattern:wallbash:

scarcity21

LongiLox;6564137[B said:
]For me it will be more than dusting. I will have to cut off at least 2 inches to get my hair to be all even. And that will also mean going from APL to shoulder length.[/B] :(

me too and im natural too!

LongiLox

One other idea that I'm thinking of trying to actually put a topical growth aid on the area just above the middle of the nape. If that area grows faster than the rest of the hair, it could possibly cover up the nape area and make the hair appear even. I'm thinking of using a natural growth aid like Bee Mine or Grow Aut, but I still have to do my research to see which ones are more effective. Hopefully this will be effective. I'll post back here if it works.

LongiLox

i wholr heartedly agree...ive trimmed a couple times, same growth pattern:wallbash:

Words cannot explain how frustrated I am. Everytime I think I have it under control, it goes back to the same shape. At one point, I was massaging the area with a mixture of Vatika Oil and Rosemary, and I thought it was working but my hair is pretty much the same.

LongiLox

Could this be the answer we've been looking for? I'm willing to give it a shot.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=34609&page=4

A metabolic scalp treatment fortified with Biotin to stimulate hair growth.
Penetrates the scalp to strengthen hair with concentrated ingredients including Biotin, B-Complex Vitamins, Amino Acids and Proteins.
Biotin helps stimulate hair growth, improves the quality of fine, weak hair and neutralizes metabolic by-products that inhibit hair growth.
Increases circulation to the scalp.
Promotes the growth of healthy hair with DHT inhibitors and circulation boosters.

Key component in the Hair Revitalization Program.

Directions for use
Use daily, morning, and evening.
Apply Biotin Creme to scalp, specifically focusing on areas where hair is thinning.
Massage in thoroughly.
Leave in, allowing absorption of vitalizing ingredients.
Apply daily or before bedtime as an overnight treatment for optimal results.
Noticeable results in 45 days with regular use.

Active ingredients
Water (Aqua), Cetyl Alcohol, PEG-8 Stearate, Stearalkonium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Biotin, Palmaria Palmata Extract, Soybean (Glycine Soja) Germ Extract, Licorice (Glycyrrhiza Glabra) Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Extract, Ginseng (Panax Ginseng) Extract, Swertia Japonica Extract, Wild Mint (Mentha Arvensis) Oil, Phytic Acid, Benzyl Nicotinate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Cyclodextrin, Menthol, Zinc PCA, PEG-14M, Inositol, L-Cystine, Cysteine, Choline, DNA, RNA, Niacin, Methionine, Pyridoxine HCL, Tetrasodium EDTA, Dipropylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben.