The Wig Thread

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
WELCOME TO THE 2019 WIG THREAD!

Previous years: 2018 2017 2016 2015

Wigs are an AMAZING option when trying to protect, retain, and relax your hair. A WIG means any full, half, full lace, U-part, lace front wig or phony pony (store bought or self-made) that you can put on and take off daily to have access to your hair. Twists, braided extensions, sew-ins, or traditional weaves ARE NOT allowed for this challenge.

*~*THE RULES*~*

There are no rules! :lol: This is a very informal challenge.

If you are interested in joining, please respond to the following:

1. Like this post.

2. How long do you plan on wigging it?

3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony?

4. Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning:

5. Current Hair Length:

6. 2018 Hair Length Goal:

7. Starting Photo

Please keep this thread alive with pictures of your current wigs, wig reviews, hair regimen updates, photos of your hair's progress, etc. as often as possible, but at least on:

:gorgeous: LET'S DO THIS LADIES!!! :gorgeous:

Tagging @trclemons @Chicoro @MzSwift @ItsMeLilLucky @brg240 @kikigirl @Supervixen @bellatiamarie @LadyBugsy and apologies to anyone I missed!

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
FAQ's, Tips, and Tricks

- Where do I get a wig?

These are some places that challengers have purchased from in previous threads. (S) means they sell synthetic only, (H) human hair only, (B) means both.

https://fridaynighthair.com/ (S)
http://www.samsbeauty.com/index.beauty (B)
https://www.myfirstwig.com/ (H)
http://www.lavyhair.com/ (H)
http://www.glamourtress.com/Default.asp (B)
http://www.divatress.com/ (B)
https://www.hairvivi.com/ (H)
http://www.blackhairspray.com/ (B)
www.hairbird.com,
www.manegang.com
www.ebonyline.com

- How do I take care of my wig?

Oils and oil-based products will shorten the length of a synthetic wig. It will look great immediately afterwards, but then over time the quality will degrade. Two popular methods for maintaining a synthetic wig are boiling it or washing it with fabric softener.

Human hair wigs, on the other hand, love oil - as long as they're being washed from time to time. Just like the hair on our heads, they need to be moisturized or they dry out. Have a product that your hair doesn't like and you need to get rid of it? Use it on your wig!

- How do I get my wig to stay put?

There's got2be glue, bobby pins, wig grips, or the elastic band method. Videos of each method are in the post right below this one.

- Can I really go around in a $20 wig and not look crazy?

YES! Some very popular wigs on the internet are only $20-30, like Sensationnel Inna, Freetress Hania, Outre Dominican Curly, etc.

- Can I do (insert activity here) in a wig?

As long as it's properly secured, the answer is usually yes. Things where the wig will be moving around a lot (sleeping and coloring, for example) might cause it to rub against your edges, though. Also the got2be glue method won't work if you're planning on going swimming so bring some pins if you go on vacation.

Last edited:

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
2. How long do you plan on wigging it? Probably all year, with maybe some braids/twists scattered here and there.

3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony? Weekly washing/DCing, regular moisturizing and then sealing with shea butter. Trims every three months.

4. Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning: Natural

5. Current Hair Length: Approximately APL?

6. 2018 Hair Length Goal: BSL

7. Starting Photo Will upload later this week

MzSwift

Whohoo, I’m in!! Thank you!
I love laid back challenges.

At least 4 weeks at a time. All year.
I’ll be alternating wigs with mini braids (no extensions) and crochet styles.

I’ll try to cowash or water rinse my cornrows once per week
Cleanse and DC once per week
Use my ayurvedic mixes to do all of the steps

Texlaxed

5. Current Hair Length:
Approx MBL

Grazing WL

7. Starting Photo

Blowout- Christmas 2018
View media item 130005
Flat iron- Christmas 2018
View media item 129999

MzSwift

Those videos were helpful! Now I’m gonna be on YT all night. Lol

I’ve never worn a lace wig before but after seeing those vids, I’m interested in learning more about them. Maybe I’ll get my first one this year.

beauti

would like to join :)
wigging until end of spring, might wear a bob wig occasionally in the summer

will deep condition weekly with heat and keep hair stretched in cornrows.

I'm natural, WL, goal is Whip Length.

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
would like to join :)
wigging until end of spring, might wear a bob wig occasionally in the summer

will deep condition weekly with heat and keep hair stretched in cornrows.

I'm natural, WL, goal is Whip Length.
Welcome!

blackgurll

*watching for recommendations.
I want to give my hair and edges a break with wigs 2019, but I don't have infinite funds to endlessly buy wigs in search of one that looks good on my itty bitty head. I've yet to find a reliably small head friendly brand, going by reviews, so I'll sit here in the peanut gallery for tips.

brg240

thanks for tagging me <3

Hmm unsure I was going to do Jan, Feb and sporadically through the year until I got to December.
But I am already done with wearing my wig after 8 days so... But to be fair this wig is way too small for my head/hair :(

My hair is braided and pinned under my wig,
I would like to deep condition weekly but my home is very cold and it causes problems b/c my hair gets cold mid hair routine and it makes it extremely hard to detangle :/

Natural

5. Current Hair Length:
TBL

Classic/TBL. I am more concerned with trying to thicken my hair. Bc i have so much hair it's hard to tell but my hair has gotten extremely thin. It's really hard to baby b/c there is so much of it too :( I've been stuck at tbl for like 4-5 years so w/e i'm doing is not sufficient :(

I plan to cut 3" next time I straighten. Which will put me back at TBL a bit after mid year.

7. Starting Photo
I'll get that this weekend

Black Ambrosia

I'm in.

How long do you plan on wigging it?
Not sure. I'm doing it to facilitate my workout schedule so I'll probably cut back some once I reach my goal and try to get used to working out with my own hair being out. I'm thinking 6-9 months, possibly a year if I haven't gotten tired of it by then.

How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony?
My hair is currently braided down. I'm using whipped shea and coconut oil to moisturize but I have a spray I plan on using as well. This is something I'll tweak based on the condition of my hair when I take it down. Speaking of which, I plan on taking my hair down monthly to wash, steam, condition, etc then I'll re-braid.

Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning:
Natural

5. Current Hair Length:
It was shoulder length but I cut off 2 inches of damage before braiding it down.

Short term goal is getting back to shoulder length. Armpit length is a stretch goal.

7. Starting Photo
Sorry ladies. I don't have a starting photo since my hair is already braided down.

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
I think tomorrow I'm going to start wearing Sensationnel Becky. She's beautiful but I'm not really a fan of left hand parts.

gforceroy

I want to join!!

How long do you plan on wigging it?

Most of the year. I want to retain most of my length this year.

How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony?

I moisturize my hair daily in the morning with a leave in and I also use edge entity on my edges.

Every 2 or 3 weeks I get my hair washed and deep conditioned then braided in a circle.

Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning:
Natural

Current Hair Length:

I just got a trim and I am now back at shoulder length

2019 Hair Length Goal:
APL :)

7. Starting Photo
My hair is currently braided so I can't post one now but I will next time I take my braids out.
I will make another post with some of the wigs I am currently rotating.

Pygmy_puff

Yay, a new wig thread!

I plan on wearing wigs on and off this year. In the spring/summer I will likely do a couple crochet or braided styles. I also like to mix in some bunning and ponytails for work. Wigs will definitely be in rotation this year though! I absolutely love wearing and talking about them! My fav right now is the Rain Maker by Sensationnel. It’s so pretty!

To care for my hair under the wigs, I moisturize my hair by deep conditioning weekly and using s-curl as a leave in. I always seal with whipped Shea butter. When I wear wigs I usually keep my hair in plaits so it will fit neatly under the cap.

I am natural and my goal is to grow my hair as long and as healthy as I can. Hopefully that means full waist length this year!

Here’s a starting pic! Now that I’m looking at this picture I realize that I might actually be close to grazing WL ... it’s doesn’t really matter though, because I’m going in for a trim next week and I expect she will take off about 2 inches anyway.
3D35DC71-7502-4ACE-ADA4-65438C2EFB5F.jpeg

Prisangela

I want in!
1. Like this post.
done
year round with breaks when I freshly relax
weekly routine with deep conditioning, slathering my hair from roots to ends in shea butter mixes
relaxed
5. Current Hair Length:
between shoulder length and armpit length
APL/BSL
7. Starting Photo
IMG_2003.JPG

Sapphire Angel

I’m in.

1. Like this post.

Two years or until I reach BSL. I will get silk wraps quarterly for my trims and length checks.

I’m a minimalist so I will just wash, use keratin conditioner, and cornrow my hair. I’m also going to start taking liquid biotin.

Natural

5. Current Hair Length:
Shoulder length

6. 2019 Hair Length Goal:
BSL

7. Starting Photo
I keep receiving an error when I try to upload pictures. I never had a problem in the past. Please let me know how you all are uploading pictures.

movingforward

Moving forward and onward
I plan to wear wigs (crochet braids every few months); as soon as I get this weave out.

I realized after I paid for the hair, installation and maybe one month of “retighetning” I could have bought a wig for the same price if not cheaper!!

So 3 months of wearing this weave so I can feel I got my monies worth.

I may give Her Given Hair a try.

Aggie

1. Like this post.
Done

The whole year

Washing and deep conditioning once every week to two weeks, heavy moisturizing with some form of jherri juice and shea butter or Blue magic Grease to seal, leave-ins and other moisturizers from my monstrous hair product stash. I will also be using henna, herbal tea rinses, and other ayurveda powders for added hair care. I will use hair scalp serums to massage on my scalp about 3-5 times per week at night before bed.

Natural since July 2018

5. Current Hair Length:
About shoulder length

Full APL this year, but my ultimate goal is back to BSL

7. Starting Photo
See attached - excuse the shiny face in the first pic y'all

Attachments

• APL Challenge 2019 for 2018-12-09 16.15.18.jpg
    APL Challenge 2019 for 2018-12-09 16.15.18.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 2018-08-13 09.19.59.jpg
    2018-08-13 09.19.59.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

bellatiamarie

If you are interested in joining, please respond to the following:

1. Like this post.

HEY GIRL HEY!!!

all year if I can with a few breaks here and there

weekly wash and condition, moisturize daily

natural

5. Current Hair Length:

APL (still)

6. 2019 Hair Length Goal:

strong healthy APL... i'm not asking for much!!!!!!!

7. Starting Photo

don't really have one of those.... i'm going to do a blow out and cut in the next couple of weeks so i'll post then.