The Wig Thread

tryingto

1. Like this post.
Done
2. How long do you plan on wigging it?
Year
3. How will you take care of your hair while using the wig/phony pony?
Cornrows, protective styling, deep condition every 8 weeks,
4. Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning:
Natural
5. Current Hair Length:
Above shoulders
6. 2018 Hair Length Goal:
Armpit
7. Starting Photo

Attachments

• F6B13381-B0A1-4747-91DF-81C477FCE42A.jpeg
    F6B13381-B0A1-4747-91DF-81C477FCE42A.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

ArrrBeee

WELCOME TO THE 2019 WIG THREAD!

Previous years: 2018 2017 2016 2015

Wigs are an AMAZING option when trying to protect, retain, and relax your hair. A WIG means any full, half, full lace, U-part, lace front wig or phony pony (store bought or self-made) that you can put on and take off daily to have access to your hair. Twists, braided extensions, sew-ins, or traditional weaves ARE NOT allowed for this challenge.

*~*THE RULES*~*

There are no rules! :lol: This is a very informal challenge.

If you are interested in joining, please respond to the following:

1. Like this post. Hi:gorgeous:

2. How long do you plan on wigging?

At least a year, possibly 2.

Cornrows or flat twists, weekly shampoo and deep condish, ayurvedic teas, shea butter, steaming, and I may try rice water .

4. Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning: natural

5. Current Hair Length: neck

6. 2019 Hair Length Goal: retain 5 inches

7. Starting Photo

20190201_194801_crop_604x604.jpg

AlmostTamed

Does anyone do hanging twists/ braids instead of cornrows under their wigs?

I can imagine this would easier and faster to moisturize my hair but I'm scared my wigs wont lay flat.

MzSwift

Does anyone do hanging twists/ braids instead of cornrows under their wigs?

I can imagine this would easier and faster to moisturize my hair but I'm scared my wigs wont lay flat.

I think you could do it, especially with a wig cap over it. To make them more flat, you could crosswrap and pin if your hair is long.

I’ve actually been looking at plaits or twists under wigs because it is less manipulation on my new growth than cornrowing.

ETA: I would probably not be able to get away with that under my pixie cut wigs, my curly ones are more forgiving.

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
I think you could do it, especially with a wig cap over it. To make them more flat, you could crosswrap and pin if your hair is long.

I’ve actually been looking at plaits or twists under wigs because it is less manipulation on my new growth than cornrowing.

ETA: I would probably not be able to get away with that under my pixie cut wigs, my curly ones are more forgiving.
This is exactly what a YouTuber I follow does. Plaits and then she crosswraps them.

quirkydimples

I’ve been wigging it for about a month because I finally, finally found a wig I like. It’s synthetic, but I found a human hair one almost just like it. My question is this: the ends of the synthetic get ratty...does that happen with the human hair ones too?

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
I’ve been wigging it for about a month because I finally, finally found a wig I like. It’s synthetic, but I found a human hair one almost just like it. My question is this: the ends of the synthetic get ratty...does that happen with the human hair ones too?
Yes, but in both cases it's fixable. For human hair you can give the wig a DC treatment, and for synthetic you can use fabric softener. I will post some good videos of how to do it.

quirkydimples

So...I’m transitioning and just took down my cornrows...ready to big chop. Two textures, the tangles, it’s for the birds. I’m getting my hair cornrowed again tonight, but if these tangles don’t disappear soon...snip snip

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
They make it look so easy, but when I try it's always a hot mess. :lol:

I agree. This lady has talent in so many areas. I thought the same thing while watching the video. I think she said, "That's all you have to do...." I was like that's all? :eek: I couldn't get passed the dyeing the knots. I can't even get the wig! :cry3::lachen: So, I know what you mean.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
From post #62 in this thread:

@ArrrBeee your hair is ....

So so gorgeous.....:wacky:

Aggie

+ 1 for curly

You're not alone @ItsMeLilLucky

I love curly wigs and I like them big and long. So far I have 2 Sensationnel Las Jaden, 2 Vanessa Super Diana Wig, 2 Sensationnel Rule Breaker wig, I have 3 Bobbi Boss Zelena wigs on the way and quite a few others in my stash that I can't remember the names.

VeryBecoming

Devil's Avocado
Count me in for the rest of the year

1. Like this post.
Done.

2. How long do you plan on wigging it?
A year. My next trim is in September and I'll assess how things are going after that.

Basically, no manipulation. I'll be taking vitamins, oiling my scalp, and using a spray moisturizer and not touching it otherwise. Every four to six weeks I'll take my hair down, co-wash, detangle, condition and do a steam treatment. I'm getting some cute head wraps for no wig days. Trims every four months.

4. Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning:
Natural.

5. Current Hair Length:
Shoulder length in the back. Below ear length on the sides and in the front.

6. 2018 Hair Length Goal:
I don't really have a length goal. I'd like my hair to be APL all around. I mostly want healthier, thicker hair.

7. Starting Photo
This is after a pretty significant trim. It's hard to see in this photo but I have a lot of cuticle damage. There's some progressed thinning at the top, breakage in the nape and edges. I think most of it is because of treating my hair rough and anemia. So, I got a lot to work on :lol:

Last edited: