The Wig Thread

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
Would anyone of you wig experts mind providing me feedback on this video? Pleeeeeze? I’ve only tried one lace front wig and my lack of skills and the marginal nature of the wig equaled disaster. I’m going to try again but wanted to know if this is a good method if I need to modify the wig to provide some space for my little forehead. Lol. I’d appreciate it!

And here I was thinking I was doing something new by using both the glue and the spray...

Good method in what way, though? It would certainly be effective if you could pull it off but it probably takes forever and I think you'd need a frontal wig because I don't think a closure would work.

meka72

And here I was thinking I was doing something new by using both the glue and the spray...

Good method in what way, though? It would certainly be effective if you could pull it off but it probably takes forever and I think you'd need a frontal wig because I don't think a closure would work.
Thanks for lookin at the video and providing your feedback!

Like the YTer, I have a little forehead and wigs take up too much of my forehead real estate lol. While she seems to know what she’s doing, do you think that this method would be doable for a beginner to modifying wigs? I am so bad at this reallly :lachen:

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
Thanks for lookin at the video and providing your feedback!

Like the YTer, I have a little forehead and wigs take up too much of my forehead real estate lol. While she seems to know what she’s doing, do you think that this method would be doable for a beginner to modifying wigs? I am so bad at this reallly :lachen:
The hardest part would probably be the plucking, which is hard to get right and easy to overdo. It would also take a while to do from start to finish but if you went slowly and didn't rush your way through it I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do it. I am bad at this too, that's why I usually stick with synthetic wigs that have closures. So much easier.

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
Latest purchase is Outre Tianna. I haven't been wigging it lately since I've just been wearing a scarf on my head to work but I've been looking for this style for a while and the ones I find are always sold out in the color I want so I had to snatch her up.

meka72

The hardest part would probably be the plucking, which is hard to get right and easy to overdo. It would also take a while to do from start to finish but if you went slowly and didn't rush your way through it I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do it. I am bad at this too, that's why I usually stick with synthetic wigs that have closures. So much easier.
Thanks again for your feedback. I like the Tianna wig and might pick that up too.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Been wearing a wig again for the past month or so. I’m on and off with them. I had purchased a few human hair expensive ones last year. I need a better way to store these things. Haha

MzSwift

So I put my hair into a braided high ponytail. Then I oiled the braid, bunned it and put a baggy over it. Now I'm rocking a ponytail over that. I guess I'll take it down after a week to assess my hair.
This is the ponytail I'm rocking

upload_2020-6-17_19-42-57.jpeg

caribeandiva

Human being
I’m back taking my hair growth seriously. I just ordered this super cheap wig on Amazon to kick things off. I got tired of making excuses about not having a wig since January of this year. Here we go.

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress
This summer has been hotter than average so while I usually wear wigs all year this year I just can't. So I've been wearing this ponytail with my hair straightened. It's been a life saver.

The only thing I don't like about it is it isn't a drawstring. I think I might purchase a drawstring version of it soon.

caribeandiva

Human being
This summer has been hotter than average so while I usually wear wigs all year this year I just can't. So I've been wearing this ponytail with my hair straightened. It's been a life saver.

The only thing I don't like about it is it isn't a drawstring. I think I might purchase a drawstring version of it soon.
That’s really cute!

MzSwift

Right! This heat is off the charts!

I ended up installing some small locs last week. :look: The heat was definitely a factor in deciding to do it now instead of later. My hair is so fine and they're small enough that I still plan to wig and crochet when I want to change things up or to PS.

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
How y'all doing out there?

I'm currently rocking two strand twists, but I plan on wigging it from Oct - Dec. I'd like to step up my game and get a textured (since I'm natural) human hair wig that has a part. Can you guys recommend some brands? I'm going for length. Bra strap or better.

Also, I do see the recs at the beginning of the thread and was wondering if they are still good for 2020

Last edited:

naturalyogini

How y'all doing out there?

I'm currently rocking two strand twists, but I plan on wigging it from Oct - Dec. I'd like to step up my game and get a textured (since I'm natural) human hair wig that has a part. Can you guys recommend some brands? I'm going for length. Bra strap or better.

Also, I do see the recs at the beginning of the thread and was wondering if they are still good for 2020
Azul hair collection. I ordered 2 wigs. Unfortunately the styles didn't work for me. But the returns are excellent. Good quality hair.

caribeandiva

Human being
I’m back taking my hair growth seriously. I just ordered this super cheap wig on Amazon to kick things off. I got tired of making excuses about not having a wig since January of this year. Here we go.
This wig was a complete fail. It’s way too cheap and plastic, shiny looking. Waste of money.

BklynHeart

I've been wearing my old wigs and 1/2 wigs as 1/2 wigs.
I pull my hair back, slap the wig on a little behind and wear a fabric headband. Quick and easy.

LegsLegsLegs

Are all if you wearing wig Caps under your wigs? I use to do synthetic wigs and wore a satin cap under my curly synthetic wig but I just got a lace front and I’m pretty sure my satin cap will show underneath my lace front. Do wig caps cause breakage to your hair?

GGsKin

Are all if you wearing wig Caps under your wigs? I use to do synthetic wigs and wore a satin cap under my curly synthetic wig but I just got a lace front and I’m pretty sure my satin cap will show underneath my lace front. Do wig caps cause breakage to your hair?

I think they can. At the very least they are drying. When I used wigs to grow my hair out I used a silk scarf! I don't know how now but I was also taking my wig of everyday. Recently, I tried the bald cap method but I've never been a fan of the wig cap. Just the idea of the fabric rubbing on my hair.

Currently, I'm wearing a lacefront wig I made. I wrap my head/ hairline with one layer of Coban self adherent wrap. I 'doctor' the front 6inches or so with makeup that matches my complexion, and make sure the front edge is cut jagged before I wrap it around my head- helps it not to show through the lace. This wrap doesn't roll back and it doesn't grip on the hair with the same friction of a wig cap.

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
Hey y'all, I have a few questions about products and styling.

I bought my first human hair wig (I chose 22 inches). https://www.chinalacewig.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Cf483

I picked a length that'll remain long even after cutting layers into it.

Anyway, it's a bit puffy in the roots and I want to rock it with big barrel waves. I'm just now realizing that I don't know what products to use (besides a curling iron for this). All the products under my sink is for my thick natural hair. My wig is straight with a density of 130.

Help? I'm guessing I need:

Heat protectant
Mousse (not sure why but I see others use it)
Hold spray
Shampoo
Conditioner

Please add to this list or rec any brand please :)

Tia!

GGsKin

Hey y'all, I have a few questions about products and styling.

I bought my first human hair wig (I chose 22 inches). https://www.chinalacewig.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Cf483

I picked a length that'll remain long even after cutting layers into it.

Anyway, it's a bit puffy in the roots and I want to rock it with big barrel waves. I'm just now realizing that I don't know what products to use (besides a curling iron for this). All the products under my sink is for my thick natural hair. My wig is straight with a density of 130.

Help? I'm guessing I need:

Heat protectant
Mousse (not sure why but I see others use it)
Hold spray
Shampoo
Conditioner

Please add to this list or rec any brand please :)

Tia!

Hi @C@ssandr@,
Your list isn't lacking much at all really. The products I use for straightening my hair tend to be the same ones I use on my human hair wigs, just less of it. Heat protectant I use Chi (this took me too long to find and was too expensive and no backups so I try no to 'waste' it on wigs lol), Lanza serum and Pantene Gold Series Thermal spray. I prefer to use a spray rather than a serum for wigs, as I don't want the hair to be weighed down.

YTbers often use mousse to slick down the hairline and baby hairs (if any are required). It can also be used to style if the hair has any texture to it. As your wig is straight, mousse is not necessary.

Hot combs are infamous for taming those puffy roots. You can substitute with a wand- doing comb/ chase method, or just setting the roots flat while the hair is wet but nothing works quite like the hot comb.

Wax sticks (really any brand of hair wax used sparingly) are also popular for smoothing flyways, especially combined with the hot comb. I think I use something from my short haired days, by KMS or L'Oréal.

Hold spray- a light spray of something from Batiste or L'Oréal Elnett are my go-tos. But again, anything in the stash will do.

I did run out and buy a bottle of the Cantu Cleansing Shampoo and conditioner, from a YT rec, because she said it worked well on Cambodian hair. It's more economical than products already in my stash and I'm not trying to use my Kerastase or Redken like that. The Cantu products come with pumps and work well although the scent is a little strong for me.

Last edited:

bellatiamarie

This is a wig? May I have the details please?

Yes, it is! I don’t wear a headband with this wig... I just secure the headband that’s already attached on the wig and push it back behind the hair. I do the flip over method so that the headband isn’t showing. It’s pretty dense but I love it. I wear it in a wash and go and define the curls with my denman brush. I have it in 18”. Hope this helps!

Link:

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
I finally got my haircut. This is my starting length for this challenge. Fresh start just in time for the new year.

View attachment 453751 View attachment 453753 View attachment 453755 View attachment 453757
been browsing this thread -
(foot's broken and not much to do these days)
your hair in these pics is EXACTLY what i love and ordered a wig
(this one Pinnacle Wig by Gabor ) based on this type of look. If my hair could look like yours is here, for the rest of my life, I wouldn't be mad. You look awesome in these pics

caribeandiva

Human being
been browsing this thread -
(foot's broken and not much to do these days)
your hair in these pics is EXACTLY what i love and ordered a wig
(this one Pinnacle Wig by Gabor ) based on this type of look. If my hair could look like yours is here, for the rest of my life, I wouldn't be mad. You look awesome in these pics
Thank you!! That wig really does look like my hair! Amazing!

LegsLegsLegs

Y’all I’d tried the bald cap method and it was such a disaster!!!! The ladies doing the tutorial videos on YouTube make it look so easy but girl... when I tell u it was a disaster.. it wasAFREAKINGDEEESASTER!!!!!! I will have to go to a professional if I want a lace front.
I think I’m sticking with my half wigs. I’ll probably start wigging by the beginning of the year. I need to flat iron my hair and I need a cut (ends are terrible)

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
Woot used a styling product, and it looks better now for my taste. Was feeling self-conscious with it on before.
Facing a lamp makes everything appear lighter in colour than it is, but the style wasn't showing well without lamp. Camera sucks.

Won't mind wearing this, it doesn't even mess up my edges like others do. I wish my real hair could grow in this dense

gabor.png