The world and marriages

syze6

I was talking to a few people about marriage and they all shared the same sentiment that marriage isn't the thing to do these things. As a believer I found it sad. It seems like the world shows you all the reasons to stay single in sin. It doesn't show you that God will judge you in your singleness and sin. I find couples who have been together for years point out what negative things come with marriage. They say the commitment is too great but yet they continue in relationships for years with a person.

There are so many unmarried couples in the world. Most are shacking and yet they don't want to marry. I know marriages can be tough. I know there are some who fear marriage but shouldn't the fear of God be greater? I have heard so many horror stories about marriages. I have married friends who cheat with other married people. They cheat with unmarried people. These are the ones telling me not to marry. It's sad to see so many people buy into the world's definition of committment and marriage. I think if more people concentrated on the covenant they made to God things would be so different. I want to marry but I have to admit I get discouraged by the stories. Why is the world so hard on marriages?

slwe415

I will tell anyone at anytime that I am married to one of the most wonderful men in the world!

You know, marriage is what you make of it. Marriage is a covenant made between the couple and God. It symbolizes the marriage between God and the church. Sure, just like with anything else, there are difficult times. The important thing is what do we do in those difficult moments? Do we hold on to God? Or, do we throw in the towel?

As long as God is first in our marriages, regardless of the things that the enemy throws our way, we will overcome. The world is just that...worldly, and they tend to satisfy the flesh rather than God. It is true that even Christians fall into sin, but we do not have to stay in sin.

Sweet C

Well, I want to tell you don't get discouraged, b/c when you do things God's way, you reap heavenly results. You have to be wary of advice given by the world, b/c it is of a wordly perspective and their view of the marriage is based on a wordly issues. I recently got married and the first thing most people told me is that I should have waited and allowed myself to get to meet more people and live my life before settling down. You see, that is a wordly perspective on a godly situation. I knew that this man was who God sent for me b/c we had both fasted and prayed on our rlp every step of the way and constantly seeked godly counsel to make sure that our flesh and hearts weren't getting in the way (Jer 17:9). See everyone else was saying that u need to "explore you options", but that is not mentioned anywhere in the Bible. When God allowed a man to find a wife that he ordained for him, they didn't have to "test the waters" by shacking up or doing whatever with other women. Once he found that wife that God had, that was it. So when in doubt, we must always look to the word of God for answers and encouragement.

redeemed516

Many people get married for alllll the wrong reasons in the first place. Also, the world is telling people that marriage doesn't have to include God. that is the biggest mistake. Like it was said before..Marriage is what you make it. I have been married for only 2 years and I wouldn't change a thing. I do my best not to discourage anyone from getting married. I personally love married life. I love being able to go home and know he is there, I like the little things he does, I even like the arguments. I may not like them at the time, but I always learn something about myself, about my husband and about how we should act in our marriage. It truly isn't for everyone, but those that do choose it should seek God before their marriage individually and together and do the same during their marriage. This really helps me to stay committed. Strangely me and my hubby just had a similar conversation last night. We were talking about how unhappy the world's marriages seem to be and how we don't want to end up like that.

slwe415

Sweet C said:
Well, I want to tell you don't get discouraged, b/c when you do things God's way, you reap heavenly results. You have to be wary of advice given by the world, b/c it is of a wordly perspective and their view of the marriage is based on a wordly issues. I recently got married and the first thing most people told me is that I should have waited and allowed myself to get to meet more people and live my life before settling down. You see, that is a wordly perspective on a godly situation. I knew that this man was who God sent for me b/c we had both fasted and prayed on our rlp every step of the way and constantly seeked godly counsel to make sure that our flesh and hearts weren't getting in the way (Jer 17:9). See everyone else was saying that u need to "explore you options", but that is not mentioned anywhere in the Bible. When God allowed a man to find a wife that he ordained for him, they didn't have to "test the waters" by shacking up or doing whatever with other women. Once he found that wife that God had, that was it. So when in doubt, we must always look to the word of God for answers and encouragement.
ITA! :clap: :clap: :clap:

AnnDriena_

Someone mentioned it on the board before and it bears mentioning again. It just kills me the way some people try to downplay marriage like it's just a piece of paper and their union is stronger than that and their word is enough. Well try driving a car without a license or even owning a dog. That piece of paper is your word in writing and their to remind you of your responsibilities. Throughout history man has made convenants and pacts as their way of being held to their word. And in todays day and time when we can try every way of legal wrangling to get out of something we need those pieces of pape more and more because our words just don't mean as much. Peoples names used to mean something. Now it's no big deal to be known as someone who comes from a household where lying is taught and even encouraged. I don't mean to seem untrustworthy but even if I wasn't Christian If you loved me enough to sleep in my bed and eat my food you better believe I'll be getting it in writing.:perplexed

slwe415

redeemed516 said:
Many people get married for alllll the wrong reasons in the first place. Also, the world is telling people that marriage doesn't have to include God. that is the biggest mistake. Like it was said before..Marriage is what you make it. I have been married for only 2 years and I wouldn't change a thing. I do my best not to discourage anyone from getting married. I personally love married life. I love being able to go home and know he is there, I like the little things he does, I even like the arguments. I may not like them at the time, but I always learn something about myself, about my husband and about how we should act in our marriage. It truly isn't for everyone, but those that do choose it should seek God before their marriage individually and together and do the same during their marriage. This really helps me to stay committed. Strangely me and my hubby just had a similar conversation last night. We were talking about how unhappy the world's marriages seem to be and how we don't want to end up like that.
:) :) :) :) :)

webby

Think Slim
Sweet C said:
co-signing every, single word. Besides, it's difficult for me to take advice from those who are not walking the path that I want to be on.

pebbles

Sweet C said:

Excellent! God bless you!! :clap:

brismom

At my Bible Study our leader said that as married couples our greatest threat is what we allow to come between us as husband and wife. We have to protect our marriages, but not because we are better for being married, but because our marriages represent the love Christ has for the Church. We have to hold up the institution of marriage like we hold up our churches. It ain't easy, but then neither is being a Christian.
I know I had to make peace with the submission issue. But once I understand that I don't submit to my husband because he necessarily has earned my submission but because that is what God wants me to do. That issue of submission is an example of how I let the world determine how my marriage would be.
It is more important that I do what is right in the eyes of God than to have world tell me that I being a strong woman.
Those of us who are called and set apart to be married must continue to show honor and respect for the institution.

AnnDriena_

That's beautiful. I hope more people realize that submission doesn't equal slavery and if the man is acting in the right role you would be more than happy to submit because he would always be thinking of you first and always have your best interest at heart.
It's these ogres who use the bible as an excuse for egomaniacal domestic rule and abuse that's ruining it for the beauty marriage is supposed to be.