There are three major types of problems women experience with their hair.

NClady

Just wanted to share this information that I came across.

Unhealthy dry hair and scalp: Symptoms of unhealthy hair are: dullness, dryness, hair breakage, brittleness, slowed or altered hair growth. Unhealthy hair feels dry, brittle and straw-like at the ends. It is dull, and may be flyaway with many split ends. It may also look bushy and frizzy. There are many reasons why ones hair can become unhealthy. The most common reason is poor nutrition. A diet high in sugar, salt, and animal fat are all bad for the hair because they create additional stress on the body, resulting in a greater need for nutrients, especially the B vitamins. Without essential oils from vitamins A, D, E, and fatty acids, the hair can become dry, dull, with split ends. Woman, especially are affected with unhealthy hair. Oral contraceptives and pregnancy can rob our hair of its nutrients along with the wind and sun. Blow drying, hair sprays, mousse, hot curling iron, coloring, and hair perms can also affect our hair

Fix
If you have a dry scalp, warm up some castor oil by putting a small amount into a pot and heating it on a very low setting until it is warm to the touch. Then massage it into your scalp. Wrap your head in a hot, steamy towel for 15 minutes and then wash. (To get this effect, you can run towels through the washing machine using hot water but no detergent. You can also rub in four or five teaspoons of mayonnaise into your scalp and leave it on for half an hour before shampooing.
Wash hair every other day or less if you can using a mild shampoo. Shampoos strip hair of it's natural oils making it dryer. People on low-fat diets might not be getting enough oils in their bodies—and if that’s so, then their scalps and hair might be deprived. Supplement a low-fat diet with olive oil. Taking a teaspoon of olive oil per day you should see a difference in the dryness of your skin and hair in a week or two. You can add the oil to a salad dressing, or drizzle it over bread.
Fish oil or flaxseed oil is even better because it benefits many other conditions as well. 1000 mg of either oil is a standard amount recommended, however this can be increased. Do beware that fish oil thins the blood. Taking a multi-vitamin and adding foods rich in vitamins A, B, D, and E is also recommended.

Thinning hair and hair loss: Hair loss is becoming increasingly common today, even among women. Every year, millions of dollars are spend on chemical creams and shampoos that promise to grow hair. People also undergo a variety of unnatural procedures, including hair transplants, in order to restore lost hair. However, as we will see, diet and lifestyle plays a primary role in the development of baldness. Baldness is a preventable condition, regardless of the prevalence of it in one's family. A primary reason why baldness tends to occur within families is because of similar dietary and lifestyle patterns that members of families share. One of the causes of hair thinning, falling out, and balding is unhealthy hair follicles. The hair embedded in a "pocket" in the skin called the hair follicle. The follicle is in constant need of nutrients, oxygen, and moisture to stay healthy and to stimulate new hair growth. Vitamin C, PABA, Biotin and amino acids L-cysteine and glutathion. These nutrients can assist in the prevention of peroxidation of oil formation on the scalp, which left unchecked, can clog hair follicles and cause hair loss.

Fix - Bhringaraj oil or brahmi oil can be applied to the scalp regularly to stimulate hair growth. The Ayurvedic herbs ashwagandha and amla are also reported to stimulate hair growth.
Folic acid, biotin, vitamin B5, para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA), and silica are supplements that may help maintain the color and thickness of hair. Be sure to supplement your daily intake of zinc. Intake of 30 mg or higher for more than three months can induce a deficiency of copper, and low copper levels can result in hair loss.
Eat a protein rich diet including green leafy vegetables, carrots, soybean, mango, dried apricots, whole grain cereals, sprouts, lentils, yeast, wheat germ, milk, yogurt (curd), and buttermilk in the daily diet.
Wearing a scarf for prolonged periods of time can also lead to hair loss through loss of oxygen to the scalp. Don't wear an underscarf, and use materials that are natural such as cotton.
Massage the scalp for 10 to 15 minutes after bathing it with water. This stimulates the blood circulation and strengthens the hair follicles in the scalp. Massaging coconut oil into the scalp can also be helpful or you can make a paste out of fresh coconut by blending it. Almond oil massaged into the scalp can stop further hair loss and eating apples, drinking apple juice or rubbing it into the scalp helps strengthen hair at the follicles and treat the problem of hair loss. Rosemary oil, vitamin E and a paste made of carrots also help with circulation when rubbed into the scalp.

Weak - lifeless hair: A deficiency of protein in the hair can result in a temporary change of hair color and texture, resulting in brittle, thin, lusterless, kinky, easily tangled, weak and hair breakage below the surface of the skin. Hair is made of protein and proteins are used as the building blocks of strong hair. Protein deficiency can result from poor diet, aging, illness, drugs, hair coloring, bleaching, and hair perms. When the collagen protein deficiency is corrected, the hair will return to its normal strong, shiny, full-of-body and bouncy condition.

Fix - The same methods to stop and treat hair loss should be used for weak and lifeless hair. Add fish oil or flaxseed oil to your diet. Medications effect our hair. In fact DNA samples from hair can show the medications we take. If a medication in nessesary for us to take, there isn't realy anything we can do about the effect they have on our hair except to do deap conditioning and use some of the fixes in this article.

Tips

Straightening hair naturaly
Get a fresh coconut and blend it well, till about a glassful of milk can be extracted from the pulp. Add the juice of one lime to this milk, stir well into the glass and refrigerate till it acquires a creamy layer on the top. This cream can be rubbed onto the scalp, and left on, covered with a hot towel, for about an hour. Then rinse it off with a mild shampoo and warm water. Repeat this three times a week and you will notice that your unruly locks are gradually straightening up.

Oily hair
Pour some cornstarch or rock salt out onto a dish and dip the brush into it. Then, with a comb, part your hair in the center and brush the cornstarch or salt onto your scalp and roots. Make another part 1/4 to ½ inch off-center and repeat. Continue this method down one side of your head, then from the center and down the other side.
Leave in for10 minutes while the cornstarch or salt soaks up the excess oils in your hair. Then, take a brush and brush out your hair, ridding it of the cornstarch flakes or salt.

Build up
Get rid of the build up by mixing 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar with 1 gallon of water. Use it to rince hair after shampooing. This is also good for oily hair.

http://www.todaysmuslimah.com/hair.html

LadyPaniolo

What an interesting read. Thanks for posting this.

I definately agree about the nutrition aspect, that's why I make sure to get my vitamins!!! :yep:

Anancy

Great thread, a good reminder of how to take care of my hair. I'll be saving this one.

Thanks.

Glitter

This is excellent!! I noticed that whenever I go on a radical diet, my hair definitely notices the change. Also, it gives more information as to why my hair improved when I was taking olive leaf pills over the summer.