Thermal Reconditioning: Japanese Straightening Support Thread

JaneBond007

***FOR THOSE WANTING BONE-STRAIGHT HEALTHIER AND SHINY LOCS WITHOUT A LOT OF HEAT IN BETWEEN PROCESSES AND GOOP***:look:

Whether you presently have on or are growing out your hair to get one, professionally or kitchen-cosmetician, let's post and support. Obviously, you have to be VERY careful about doing this at home, re-touching your hair and selecting perms that pass U.S. standards, but I don't think it's impossible to do at home if you have the proper "training." I'm not a stylist and those are my thoughts about it...:look:

1)Do not ever apply over a relaxer
2)Wait until your BKT treatment is thoroughly reverted
3) Consult with a cosmetologist if you've had previous thio perms
4)condition, condition, condition
5)learn techniques to straighten your roots in between touch-ups when there is a lot of new growth

I like the way Japanese Straightening Perms look on the hair, full of shine and health. I have tried relaxer brands endlessly and they all end up with the same results. Dull-looking hair. I don't do a lot to my hair outside of processing and I'm choosing ths JSP for easy styling. BKT doesn't last long enough and requires too much heat for a good effect. Your wave will return quickly and requires several treatments for a good straightening effect.

This thread is no challenge but let it serve as a space people can ask questions, advise others, give their reviews (positive/negative), post products and costs, salons and whatnot. I want one around next May, presently have a relaxer on the ends, regret relaxing my new growth of a few inches and could have started in on growing my hair out with a "re-touch" of JPS on virgin hair only. I had shaved my head.

I think Saldana has one and was told Oprah had one once:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUqIe-KdliI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtVKAR5pNd8
(disclaimer: soley for before/after pics)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsjKZ0Lbh70

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8ZBtuZtyPs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_V_roLJc0k

Last edited:

Tchanelle

Subscribing...I'm natural but after looking at Hair Talents Youtube videos I'm considering getting Japanese Thermal Straightening in March/April of next year.

JaneBond007

I've been ctaching some Brazilian videos as well. Think I've found the products, either WellaStrate or Matrix Optistraight because you don't have to iron them if you don't want to. Ammonia-based perms are better for my hair for some reason. Now to grow this stupid sodium hydroxide out.

luckiestdestiny

I'm natural but I'm always on the lookout for things that make relative's lives easier etc depending on what they like or their lifestyle. These two videos on Japanese straightening caught my eye. It seems they did a better job than hairs talent with straightening (and shine) but then they both use a specific Japanese straightener (liscio) so maybe that's the reason. I thought it was interesting and filed it in my mental rolodex if I ever need to tell my relatives about an alternative treatment or decide to try something new or say goodbye to natural (not sure if I ever will but again this product was interesting and I like that these keep some strength in the hair that relaxers take away and do not break the bonds just rearranges them)

Two other African American (well one AA and one mixed). The last one is in the 4's for sure they show her before and after where as the first one doesn't.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS8jNMhqHAk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUqIe-KdliI

Last edited:

Tchanelle

I wish there was a stylist in Atlanta offering this treatment. So far my options are California or Connecticut. I was hoping for Florida but BeautyByGabby says they don't like working with kinkier textures and I'm 4a with fine strands.

JaneBond007

^^Try your local Koreatown. They have another one, "Korean Magic Perm." What I'm learning is that there are so many diff. products that they aren't all "Japanese Thermal Reconditioning" in the classic sense. I think I want the shorter/faster one.

JaneBond007

Can't get this stuff on your scalp because the ammonia's a gas and can explode your follicles???? That's what one stylist says. So, no-go at home. I still can't see paying 500 bucks for this treatment only to return in 3 months for a touch-up. Maybe there's an alternate ammonia treatment you can do at home, like Vigorol :rolleyes:

JaneBond007

If I keep on finding new products, I'll keep posting info. I just can't personally support this at this time. I've gone PhytoSpecific Relaxer/Creme of Nature "Eden" now. My next touch-up in a few months will be the Phyto. I just tried the "Eden" and it's very different. I like it. Less time. Curls holding at bay so far, we'll see in a few weeks lol.

mz.rae

Bump! This sounds interesting, I'm interested in the Korean Magic Perm as it seems the cheapest. But the process looks time consuming I'm not sure if I want to go this route or just get a relaxer.

oyveh

Unless you have a loose curl pattern I strongly advise against this treatment. You will have to use heat between treatments. Also if you have a relaxer it will break off. I went to Hairs Talent for two years. I began with arm pit length hair. Progressively all of my relaxed hair broke off. Two years later barely shoulder length. I stopped last june 2014. I am trying to go back to relaxers. I am heart broken and devastated at what they did to my hair. I am barely chin length now. Ask them how many of the women that are in their videos still receive the treatment. The gina curl might be a better choice.

Last edited:

luckiestdestiny

Unless you have a loose curl pattern I strongly advise against this treatment. You will have to use heat between treatments. Also if you have a relaxer it will break off. I went to Hairs Talent for two years. I began with arm pit length hair. Progressively all of my relaxed hair broke off. Two years later barely shoulder length. I stopped last june 2014. I am trying to go back to relaxers. I am heart broken and devastated at what they did to my hair. I am barely chin length now. Ask them how many of the women that are in their videos still receive the treatment. The gina curl might be a better choice.

That's awful. oyveh did your relaxed hair only break off or is your natural hair breaking too? Wondering if it is bad only for transitioners versus virgin hair.

Either way so sorry to hear this.

luckiestdestiny

This is so bad. I was going to recommend my mom give it a whirl because she was going to switch back to relaxers. I tried to get her to try to grow it out but she didn't like the aveda straight and she didn't like the design essentials (le sigh). This is definitely a no no for her and her relaxed hair...

healthyhair2

I can speak to the Gina Curl being very good. I will be getting my second one in July 2015. I was supposed to get it in December, but couldn't swing it money-wise. My hair has grown a lot, even with the inch and three quarters that was taken off 2 weeks ago. The GC can be blown out as well.

Godyssey

I can speak to the Gina Curl being very good. I will be getting my second one in July 2015. I was supposed to get it in December, but couldn't swing it money-wise. My hair has grown a lot, even with the inch and three quarters that was taken off 2 weeks ago. The GC can be blown out as well.

How did you maintain your style for so long?

L.Brown1114

Are you in the mpls area?? I cannot find a decent natural hair salon ANYWHERE. I need a break.

No, actually I live in Wisconsin but I'm moving to the twin cities and trying to look for salons. I lived there for a summer and couldn't even find anyone decent to braid my hair. Hopefully it's better now that was 3 years ago

nirel333

No, actually I live in Wisconsin but I'm moving to the twin cities and trying to look for salons. I lived there for a summer and couldn't even find anyone decent to braid my hair. Hopefully it's better now that was 3 years ago
Oh okay, It's probably worse now. All the "black hair" stylists here wanna do is make you baldheaded and edgeless. I've been looking for a good one for years, but no luck.

L.Brown1114

Oh okay, It's probably worse now. All the "black hair" stylists here wanna do is make you baldheaded and edgeless. I've been looking for a good one for years, but no luck.

DANG....well im the queen of hunting people down and asking who braided their hair. So once I move there I'm sure I'll find someone eventually and I'll let you know. Do you mind if I PM you with questions about Minneapolis?

healthyhair2

@healthyhair2 , how are you liking the treatment?

Geez, Ladies!!!! So, sorry I didn't see this before now. I work a lot and don't get to log on to the board as much. As I explained to another poster here who pm'd me, I LOVED the Gina Curl. I did not get another one after the first simply because I am PAYING OFF DEBT.
As my hair grew out, I went back to using heavier conditioners and products , just like I did on my ALL natural hair.

My hair is natural almost completely now, except for an inch or so of the ends. I make sure I detangle before shampooing and do at least 1 moisturizing and 1 protein treatment a month.

My hair is 4b/c or something like that and is ALSO treated with DEMI permanent color. IF you have a relaxer of any kind, especially sodium hydroxide, you should grow it out or cut it off first. This process, I think works best on non-relaxed or bkt'd hair.

My hair is at shoulder length and I am FINALLY getting it done again on February 1st , 2016. The health of it has been good over a year and a half and the two textures were not bad to deal with. I also use much less product when I have my Gina Curl. Never satisfied with how my natural hair was after it started to grow out, I bought LOTS of products. Consequently, I am on a NO BUY hair product challenge now, trying to make it 30 days at a time. This is my year to find my TRUE staples!

Secretly, I am hoping to make it to arm pit length by the end of the year. Since my hair is longer now, I can do some protective styling with the back of my hair . I don't know if I will ever be all natural again, because when I am I get scalp problems. My only issue has been very dry scalp that I had problems with in the Summer, because I scratched a LOT, my temples thinned. I don't know what it was, but the only thing that helped was exfoliating my scalp on a regular basis. That problem was NOT an issue when I had my Gina Curl. I will continue to exfoliate though.

healthyhair2

I'm sorry this happened to you. Were you able to find out exactly what happened? Was the straight variation applied OVER your relaxed hair? How did you care for it? What relaxer did you previously use before going to Hair's Talent?

Lots of questions, I know. I'm a little surprised because more Black women get the Straight variation over the Gina Curl. Most prefer straight hair over the "Jherri Curl Look". Even though the Gina Curl can be blown out, I personally never did it. I like low maintenance.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do in 2016!

healthyhair2

***FOR THOSE WANTING BONE-STRAIGHT HEALTHIER AND SHINY LOCS WITHOUT A LOT OF HEAT IN BETWEEN PROCESSES AND GOOP***:look:

Whether you presently have on or are growing out your hair to get one, professionally or kitchen-cosmetician, let's post and support. Obviously, you have to be VERY careful about doing this at home, re-touching your hair and selecting perms that pass U.S. standards, but I don't think it's impossible to do at home if you have the proper "training." I'm not a stylist and those are my thoughts about it...:look:

1)Do not ever apply over a relaxer
2)Wait until your BKT treatment is thoroughly reverted
3) Consult with a cosmetologist if you've had previous thio perms
4)condition, condition, condition
5)learn techniques to straighten your roots in between touch-ups when there is a lot of new growth

I like the way Japanese Straightening Perms look on the hair, full of shine and health. I have tried relaxer brands endlessly and they all end up with the same results. Dull-looking hair. I don't do a lot to my hair outside of processing and I'm choosing ths JSP for easy styling. BKT doesn't last long enough and requires too much heat for a good effect. Your wave will return quickly and requires several treatments for a good straightening effect.

This thread is no challenge but let it serve as a space people can ask questions, advise others, give their reviews (positive/negative), post products and costs, salons and whatnot. I want one around next May, presently have a relaxer on the ends, regret relaxing my new growth of a few inches and could have started in on growing my hair out with a "re-touch" of JPS on virgin hair only. I had shaved my head.

I think Saldana has one and was told Oprah had one once:

(disclaimer: soley for before/after pics)

I do think if one can find a stylist that knows how to deal with coily/kinky textures, Japanese Thermal Reconditioning can work very well. Stay on top of the protein and moisturizing treatments :)

nirel333

DANG....well im the queen of hunting people down and asking who braided their hair. So once I move there I'm sure I'll find someone eventually and I'll let you know. Do you mind if I PM you with questions about Minneapolis?
Yea sure go ahead! I've lived here most of my life so hopefully I can be of some help