Thick Haired Naturals, How do you dry your hair?

MrsHdrLe

I love being nearly natural. I love roller sets and twists. What I HATE is taking up to half a day or more to get my hair dry enough to take out. It takes me minimum 5 hours wet to dry every time I want a style for the evening if I don't blow dry.

How do you (naturals) get your hair completely dry for a roller set (no flat iron) or twist out in less time? I'm afraid that it's going to take even longer as my hair grows. I hate that "wash day" lasts two days:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:.

I do have a bonnet dryer (soft and hard, but my rollers are too big for the hard one now). I don't want to blow dry at all if possible. And the last twists I did took more than 8 hour to dry all the way, I just got tired and decided to cool blowdry section by section and bun afterwards.

I do my hair at night before I go to bed. I also towel dry my hair before I twist or roller set so it’s not soaking wet. I have a huge head and a lot of hair. I use the large pink rollers when I do a roller set, and I don’t have a problem fitting under my hood dryer. Maybe it’s time to upgrade your hood dryer. Why don’t you get a little creative? You don’t have to use a dryer. Use a fan instead. During those hot days of summer, I would dry my hair sitting in front of a fan instead of under a dryer.

Good luck sis and have fun on your natural journey.

Oh I usually just cowash my hair and go... and it stays wet for hours.. and hours.... its crazy, even in this hot georgia sun it will stay wet for at least 3 hours.

I shave some time off by sitting under the dryer for a bit. Not until I'm completely dry, but doing it on low, esp. if you do your hair before bed, can help. I also sometimes use that cap attachment that you can put on your blowdryer b/c it has a lot of temp settings and again, you can use a low or cool setting. Even when I was relaxed, I preferred the way that it felt to let my hair mostly airdry, but with really thick hair, that took a whole day, so I'd say that you could help yourself a little by using that trick. Your hair should stay soft and well moisturized as long as you let it finish drying naturally.
Otherwise, I don't think there is too much else you could do (I guess you could let it airdry a bit before rollersetting or twisting and then just spritz a bit if it dries out too much). I mean, your hair wants to hold onto that moisture so that is kind of the tradeoff that you make no matter what.
Maintenance is a lot longer but I'm sure you'll like the payoff in the long run.

microfiber towel=best drying towel ever..i pat my plaits with it for about 5 minutes and then my hair is usually damp..i then let it airdry for about couple hours

I just let it airdry. In fact, I actually have to spray it with water a lot when I'm twisting or doing bantu knots. Now I'm wondering if that means my hair is porous?

I usually air dry I 2 nd the micro fiber turbie works great after 30-1hr with my hair up in 1 I can take it down and let it airdry maybe another half hour so and it's dry
if I'm in a hurry I break out the diffuser or hair dryer I rarely use the dryer haven't used it in months
I can't roller set and my hairs to thick for that so I don even bother

Last edited:
I usually sit under the hooded dryer for awhile. And then I let the rest air dry because my hair can stay wet for hours. I only blow dry in an emergency or if i did my hair late and im tired.

Back