How long is too long for a “protective style?”

• Total voters

VictoriousBrownFlower

Mustard oil has sulphur within it. The sulphur can act as an anti-microbial and anti-fungal on the hair and the scalp. Thus, keeping both scalp and hair clean in that it may be able to prevent bacteria and fungus from forming.
Ohhhhhh. I was wondering why she used that in specifics if it smelled so bad. I knew I was missing something. That makes sense. That's prob why the smell doesn't linger. I thought she used it for conditioning (which I'm sure there's conditioning benefits to it too) but it's part of the cleansing process.

You always have words of wisdom to help us understand all things hair which I love because I love the why's behind the why's.

I also see why it would need to be used second instead of first which is how i would use it if it smelled so bad because the anti microbial and anti fungal properties would be washed away otherwise.

Great great knowledge you spoke to me. I can now see how this routine could totally work on the reg.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Ohhhhhh. I was wondering why she used that in specifics if it smelled so bad. I knew I was missing something. That makes sense. That's prob why the smell doesn't linger. I thought she used it for conditioning (which I'm sure there's conditioning benefits to it too) but it's part of the cleansing process.

You always have words of wisdom to help us understand all things hair which I love because I love the why's behind the why's.

I also see why it would need to be used second instead of first which is how i would use it if it smelled so bad because the anti microbial and anti fungal properties would be washed away otherwise.

Great great knowledge you spoke to me. I can now see how this routine could totally work on the reg.

I don't think you're missing something. Questions are good.

Also I do want to state that "I" don't personally know why she is using mustard oil. I just added the reason why people with afro-textured hair use mustard seed oil. So, I don't want to act like I know why another person makes a choice.

Thank your the compliments regarding my information about hair. I appreciate it!

VictoriousBrownFlower

I don't think you're missing something. Questions are good.

Also I do want to state that "I" don't personally know why she is using mustard oil. I just added the reason why people with afro-textured hair use mustard seed oil. So, I don't want to act like I know why another person makes a choice.

Thank your the compliments regarding my information about hair. I appreciate it!
I'm glad my comments didn't seem out of place. I really wanted to know more about the oil and if that;s not the reason she uses it it still really does make her cleansing process well rounded. I thought she had holes in her process but the mustard oil in particular is what makes it a well rounded cleansing process to me. I really would use her method now for a water only routine because it's perfect for that manner because of the mustard oil in particular.

Thanks for letting me know that water only washing is actually a viable way to cleanse the hair because I never understood how using no commercial products could work on the hair.

Chicoro

I'm glad my comments didn't seem out of place. I really wanted to know more about the oil and if that;s not the reason she uses it it still really does make her cleansing process well rounded. I thought she had holes in her process but the mustard oil in particular is what makes it a well rounded cleansing process to me. I really would use her method now for a water only routine because it's perfect for that manner because of the mustard oil in particular.

Thanks for letting me know that water only washing is actually a viable way to cleanse the hair because I never understood how using no commercial products could work on the hair.

I'm not trying to be splitting hairs with you lovely lady, but I didn't say that water washing is viable. I don't know. I've never looked at it from a scientific perspective to understand it. Technically, she's not doing a water wash only. She's actually using products in her hair. And, it is my pleasure to help you understand! Thank you for the feedback and the support. I appreciate it ALL!

VictoriousBrownFlower

I'm not trying to be splitting hairs with you lovely lady, but I didn't say that water washing is viable. I don't know. I've never looked at it from a scientific perspective to understand it. Technically, she's not doing a water wash only. She's actually using products in her hair. And, it is my pleasure to help you understand! Thank you for the feedback and the support. I appreciate it ALL!
No please be honest. I came on here to learn. So it's not viable to you? I never understood it but it was so accepted. I never knew this wouldn't qualify as water only washing because to me that's as natural as it gets but I see where you're coming from. She technically is using products just products straight from the earth in it's natural form (which I try to do and love doing most for my hair). I realized I can be even more basic if I want to and still get the benefits I'm looking for. Thanks for that. Be totally upfront with me. It's the only way I'll know I'm off base.

Chicoro

No please be honest. I came on here to learn. So it's not viable to you? I never understood it but it was so accepted. I never knew this wouldn't qualify as water only washing because to me that's as natural as it gets but I see where you're coming from. She technically is using products just products straight from the earth in it's natural form (which I try to do and love doing most for my hair). I realized I can be even more basic if I want to and still get the benefits I'm looking for. Thanks for that. Be totally upfront with me. It's the only way I'll know I'm off base.

(I think I hit that stupid REPORT button by accident! Excuse me!!!!!)

No, I did not say it is not viable. I said I do not know one way or the other because I have not investigated water cleansing! And the lady with the thigh length hair has great length retention. The proof is in the pudding.

VictoriousBrownFlower

(I think I hit that stupid REPORT button by accident! Excuse me!!!!!)

No, I did not say it is not viable. I said I do not know one way or the other because I have not investigated water cleansing! And the lady with the thigh length hair has great length retention. The proof is in the pudding.
LOL!!!!! Okay you got me!!!! I have a habit of reading into what people say instead of actually listening to what they say... Lol!!!!

Yeah she does. What's she's doing really works. I'm questioning trying it myself. That's why I was asking so many questions but some things you have to find out the answers yourself. No one knows everything.

Chicoro

LOL!!!!! Okay you got me!!!! I have a habit of reading into what people say instead of actually listening to what they say... Lol!!!!

Yeah she does. What's she's doing really works. I'm questioning trying it myself. That's why I was asking so many questions but some things you have to find out the answers yourself. No one knows everything.

Including me!

snoop

I love her routine but I couldn't do her wash routine personally.

1)ACV imo is great for deoderizing but not removing build up. You NEED shampoo for that. You need a surfactant to remove the dirt and oil from the hair and scalp. ACV doesn't have one which is why it just deoderizes but doesn't actually clean.

2)The mustard oil is actually her dc. That's fine if you don't use shampoo but what are the benefits of mustard oil? Couldn't she use another oil or blend of oils that don't smell (or smell more neutral). I couldn't use a product in my hair that literally made me turn my nose up at it everytime I smelled it. I would just use something with the same benefits but smelled neutral to me.

Because of those two things I question her wash routine as an only source of "cleansing" the hair and would modify it to make it my own if I ever used it.

She said she only started using the mustard oil recently, because she saw it at a South Asian (Indian) shop.

VictoriousBrownFlower

She said she only started using the mustard oil recently, because she saw it at a South Asian (Indian) shop.
Yeah I know. I really wanted to know why she would choose to use something that smelled so bad for her cleansing routine (it's suppose to freshen the hair why use something that stinks). I had no idea of the benefits of it in her cleansing routine. Knowing the properties of mustard oil really makes me feel its a super well rounded way to wash the hair naturally(and will actually prevent an odor not cause one which is what is most important to me). I actually think it's way better than water only washing because you need to remove the bacteria and fungus so you can have a healthy scalp that flourishes. So whether it was a mistake or not that lady did her research and that's why her hair is the way it is. She's SUPPEERRR natural about her approach to hair which is different. I actually love her routine but I don't follow bandwagons so need to know the whys behind a method before my mind is settled on something (regardless of what their hair looks like).

I have always felt God has placed everything on this earth that we need to flourish we just need to know what to use for what etc.... I'm very passionate about all natural everything.

snoop

Yeah I know. I really wanted to know why she would choose to use something that smelled so bad for her cleansing routine (it's suppose to freshen the hair why use something that stinks). I had no idea of the benefits of it in her cleansing routine. Knowing the properties of mustard oil really makes me feel its a super well rounded way to wash the hair naturally(and will actually prevent an odor not cause one which is what is most important to me). I actually think it's way better than water only washing because you need to remove the bacteria and fungus so you can have a healthy scalp that flourishes. So whether it was a mistake or not that lady did her research and that's why her hair is the way it is. She's SUPPEERRR natural about her approach to hair which is different. I actually love her routine but I don't follow bandwagons so need to know the whys behind a method before my mind is settled on something (regardless of what their hair looks like).

I have always felt God has placed everything on this earth that we need to flourish we just need to know what to use for what etc.... I'm very passionate about all natural everything.

Except that if she only just started using the mustard oil, her hair got that way without it. If you ever check out the wateronlywashing lady she doesn't just use water. Every x number of washes she cleanses her scalp to remove the buildup as well -- e.g. through clay washing or with the use of other natural means like oil washing or with diy food mixes (banana, sweet potato, cactus, etc). It was through her that I realized that water only washing doesn't have to be strictly using only water at every wash or post wash.

In any case, I wash that I'd heard of Indigenous Standz, before. I would have loved to see what her routine was "actually" like in earlier days.

VictoriousBrownFlower

Except that if she only just started using the mustard oil, her hair got that way without it. If you ever check out the wateronlywashing lady she doesn't just use water. Every x number of washes she cleanses her scalp to remove the buildup as well -- e.g. through clay washing or with the use of other natural means like oil washing or with diy food mixes (banana, sweet potato, cactus, etc). It was through her that I realized that water only washing doesn't have to be strictly using only water at every wash or post wash.

In any case, I wash that I'd heard of Indigenous Standz, before. I would have loved to see what her routine was "actually" like in earlier days.
Okay... I didn't know that. From what I've seen it was about just using water to distribute the sebum down the hair shaft etc.... Calling it water only washing can confuse some(it should just be water rinsing or something of that nature. I know I'm too literal). That's why I never searched too deep. I literally just used Naptural 85's method as what water only washing was. I've never heard of the creator of the method or seen her routine first hand. So this is actually considered water only washing which would make sense to me as part of the cleansing process for that method(learn something new everyday). Thanks for clarifying things for me

snoop

Okay... I didn't know that. From what I've seen it was about just using water to distribute the sebum down the hair shaft etc.... Calling it water only washing can confuse some(it should just be water rinsing or something of that nature. I know I'm too literal). That's why I never searched too deep. I literally just used Naptural 85's method as what water only washing was. I've never heard of the creator of the method or seen her routine first hand. So this is actually considered water only washing which would make sense to me as part of the cleansing process for that method(learn something new everyday). Thanks for clarifying things for me

These women didn't "create" the method, but I think that this lady here used it as her staple as opposed to Naptural85.

She has since loc'd her hair and she's not that active on social media anymore, but her hair is very pretty amazing as well. There's also a thread on the board about the method if you want to do more research.

I'm not trying to sell the method or derail the thread with this method. I was just surprised that both of these women had very similar ways of taking care of their hair.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I really enjoyed her Q&A video. She talked about how she was a stylist and her hair was “addicted” to Joico. She said primarily she doesn’t “need” to use regular shampoos and conditioners because she doesn’t use “regular styling products” (ie commercial stylers, silicone based hair products etc). That makes a lot of sense to me...

That being said, I’m not ready to give up my commercial stylers so I’ll continue to hobby around with different products, styles, and techniques.:look:

VictoriousBrownFlower

These women didn't "create" the method, but I think that this lady here used it as her staple as opposed to Naptural85.

She has since loc'd her hair and she's not that active on social media anymore, but her hair is very pretty amazing as well. There's also a thread on the board about the method if you want to do more research.

I'm not trying to sell the method or derail the thread with this method. I was just surprised that both of these women had very similar ways of taking care of their hair.
This is super amazing to me. Cleansing the hair with all natural ingredients instead of detergents. That's ALL it is. We all know every head of hair is different and has different needs. This routine is perfect for someone who finds surfectants to be way too harsh to use often and wants to use them as little as possible. I think it's super well suited for those with low sebum production(no real natural moisturizing properties to their hair.) You still need the surfectant (al be it a natural source from saponified oils) but maybe just every few months instead of weekly for someone like me who has alot of sebum which makes my hair get more moisturized (not less) the longer i go without washing.

It would be a great asset to me so I could go maybe 2 wks or a month without detergents(because the few times I do go that long my hair feels amazingly healthy soft curls bouncing shiny etc after I finally wash. I just like to cleanse once a wk to treat my hair and scalp).

I hope they don't mind the little detour but I'm super glad it happened. I only learn new products and methods to care for my hair once in a while and love when it happens because it's ALWAYS beneficial to my hairs healthy journey. I want tailbone length hair and need a well rounded routine to get it because I'm not one that can get there effortlessly. I'm gonna find and check out the waw thread to see what other gems are in there.

VictoriousBrownFlower

I really enjoyed her Q&A video. She talked about how she was a stylist and her hair was “addicted” to Joico. She said primarily she doesn’t “need” to use regular shampoos and conditioners because she doesn’t use “regular styling products” (ie commercial stylers, silicone based hair products etc). That makes a lot of sense to me...

That being said, I’m not ready to give up my commercial stylers so I’ll continue to hobby around with different products, styles, and techniques.:look:
:amen:Yeah it works for her because literally EVERYTHING is all natural so she prob doesn't have buildup to remove like that. I'm not ready to go all natural everything right now either so it wouldn't be a lifestyle like her but I will def incorporate some of her methods depending on how I'm wearing my hair (long term protective styling vs wearing it out). I just love my products too much to give them all up for good forever. It sounds like a bleak existence:look:.

VictoriousBrownFlower

I wanted to put some info here because the convo was started here on mustard oil being an anti fungal and anti microbial but it smells so I couldn't settle myself on using it. I searched for other oils with the same properties and found this. Now I'm sold on her whole reggie and am incorporating it into my routine in a way that is suited for me.

Six essential oils (from oregano, thyme, clove, lavender, clary sage, and arborvitae) exhibited different antibacterial and antifungal properties. Antimicrobial activity was shown against pathogenic Escherichia coli, Salmonella typhimurium, Yersinia enterocolitica, Staphylococcus aureus, Listeria monocytogenes, and Enterococcus faecalis and environmental bacteria (Bacillus cereus, Arthrobacter protophormiae, Pseudomonas fragi) and fungi (Chaetomium globosum, Penicillium chrysogenum, Cladosporium cladosporoides, Alternaria alternata, and Aspergillus fumigatus

Oregano, thyme, clove and arborvitae showed very strong antibacterial activity against all tested strains at both full strength and reduced concentrations and have no effect in vitro to embryos so can be used while expecting.

I got the info from here which has lots more great info about the eo's + charts and stuff of the different effectiveness of each on what etc. It's worth a look if you're interested in that stuff. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5557807/

snoop

That's interesting, because that's basically the principle behind Terressential's clay detox. On one hand, you get to learn your hair likes and dislikes, but it's hard finding "natural" products that work just as well as some of the popular commercial stuff.

You're funny! :supergrin:

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Saw this video and all I could think was, “Bless her heart!” Cause no ma’am. I see why she keeps the bulk of her hair in twists and just undoes/redoes a section at a time. :eek2::thud:
See this is why I find myself in 3+ month protective styles. Once it’s time to take them out, I can’t be bothered. I legit consider going bald instead.