Thin Ends Support Thread

abcd09

This thread is for the emotional and HHJ support of those of us with fine hair and ends that never seem to stop splitting. It's a rough journey for us. No matter what we do, it seems like an uphill battle in retaining length.

This for those of you who have

* tried every kind of oil out there and every sealing method to no avail
* have left heat, fine toothed combs, and hair ties behind
* haven't worn your hair in a non PS for god knows when
* have your own trimming shears to attack dreaded ends
* seem to use those shears every other week
* even a PS can't keep those ends from splitting
* have changed your routine umpteen times and have found a balance but still not for you ends
* have tried hennaing, and moisture-protein balance

What have tried? What seems to be working? How long can you let your hair grow?

We can keep this thread positive, or we can vent about the insanity of this situation.

I know today I was a little disheartened by how fragile my ends are despite working hard for the past 4 years and have tried nearly everything.

I just wanted to make this thread as a support for any frustrated girls out there and for anyone who has found a "cure".

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I just cut 5" again because of thin looking ends. When i trim 1/4" every 4 months and do Aphoghee Treatments every 6-8 weeks like clock work keeps my ends at their best. Also roller setting works best for my hair also, but i find once my hair hit beyond WSL roller setting was a job after a certain amount of weeks post relaxer and i would airdry in a bun more often than i planned. I've learned bunning is not my ends best friends. So I've been playing between HPL and WSL for awhile now hopefully I'll be HPL again by the end of the year and stay there.

abcd09

I just cut 5" again because of thin looking ends. When i trim 1/4" every 4 months and do Aphoghee Treatments every 6-8 weeks like clock work keeps my ends at their best. Also roller setting works best for my hair also, but i find once my hair hit beyond WSL roller setting was a job after a certain amount of weeks post relaxer and i would airdry in a bun more often than i planned. I've learned bunning is not my ends best friends. So I've been playing between HPL and WSL for awhile now hopefully I'll be HPL again by the end of the year and stay there.
@~*~ShopAholic~*~
Thank you for this. Do you just leave your hair out after the roller sets? Seems like it's the smoothing of your ends on the rollers that is helping. What do you think?I've done roller sets and buns, but when I'm air drying I'm rolling my ends. I'm still not retaining length past APL/BSL

yoleee

Ughh.... I just don't know what to do. I feel like I am doing all the right things but my ends just keep getting thinner. I think PSing is making them worse. It doesn't matter if I have APL hair if the ends are see through...... Depressed.:nono:

nelcoy

My ends look so sad because I'm transistioning. I haven't relaxed my hair since 2010 and my relaxed ends look so sad...I can't chop them all the way off:( I have been keeping my hair in plaits and wearing wigs since Aug 2011. I have only put heat to my hair twice since Aug, just to see how long my hair has grown and to trim my ends. I can only trim my ends when my hair is straight. This summer I plan on getting braids.
I alternate between protein & moisture conditioner each week. My hair has really grown and stronger since I've just stopped messing with it.

Evolving78

i am working on my ends now. i have fine hair and too much of anything breaks them off. i am trying to find balance. roller setting works well, but i am working on bunning as a protective style right now. i am trying to have as low manipulation as possible. i am really trying to find the right products that will keep my hair moisturized without a ton of buildup.

i moisturize and seal daily, but i still see tiny broken hairs coming from my ends. it's not a lot, but enough for me to be concerned. i wish i could be like the ladies here that have hardly any breakage and have great retention.

Honey Bee

I started my hhj with hair like this. In fact, I still have some in my crown and nape (the slowest growing, dryest areas), but I'm trimming it off. I transitioned for three years because I wanted to stay around the same length, almost apl. Then it took a year for my mother to get my texlaxing technique right. :lol: I'm now in the process of trimming off that first not-quite-texlaxed hair, maybe an inch in the places I mentioned.

My tried-and-true technique is no heat, henna, Wen, and Aphogee two minute. Whenever I stray, I have trouble. I use Surya henna, pre-mixed, and I have no shame in that. Too many people have tragedies with 'natural henna' and me and my fine strands can't afford to play those games. :nono: Wen is the most moisturizing condish I have come across with the least amount of trouble. I order it and voila, there it is, lol! I also use it as a post-wash leave-in, but not everyday (too much manipulation). I bought the Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier last year, found it too thick, and gave it to my mother. I got it back with about 1/4 left in the bottle :look:, added water, and now I love it! I use the Aphogee 2 min whenever I wet my hair, whether it's just for two minutes or ten. I also squirt a bit into my relaxer.

Altogether, I had a happy hair journey. I went through bad phases, to the point that my man was like, I always love your hair, no matter what you say. (and he first saw me with a twa) I went through periods where I just cut off chunks of my hair, parts where the ends were just disgustingly straggly. They grew back. :shrug: I went through periods when I asked myself why I was even a member of this board, if I couldn't keep some decent-looking hair on my head, wth was I doing? But I got through it and my hair is super thick now, for me. I just got a TU, and it's STILL thick. :D :yep:

I'll go to my Dominican homegirl sometime in June and let her give me a trim, and I think that's it. I will have successfully ended my bad-hair rut. I guess I'll re-do my signature then.