Thin ends year after year!

TwistNMx

JazzyDez said:
I am having the same problem. I had been rockin 3 quarter wigs all stretch and I got my first dominican blowout last weekend and my hair grew soo much. But it was so thin. I could clearly see my gold chain and everything else right through my hair. I just wanted to cry....:( It looks like I LOST hair but I havent noticed any excessive shedding or anything. I was 11 weeks post but I am due for a relaxer this weekend, the NG is out of control. I am just so down now since its pretty much pointless to have long see-thru hair.
I know what you mean. We've got to figure out how to stop this. :look:
Do you ever pull your hair back into a ponytail when damp after you wash it? This helps my hair to stay straight somewhat but I now have to find another way to do this since it is apparently thinning my ends now.
Relaxers weaken the hair even more. My last relaxer was around 2000 or 2001...one of those.

TwistNMx

WhipEffectz1 said:
I was right at your length when my hair started thinning and I'm not a fine haired lady. Talk about coming from the Dominican salon mad as I don't know what but disguested in the same token. So I went natural and I haven't had a problem since. I just don't think my hair could take the chemicals like some people so I had to do what was best for my hair.
Yes. Your hair looks very nice.
I don't know about my hair though because I keep going back and forth with it. One moment I have the sissors in my hand and the next I'm ready to throw them out.

TwistNMx

locabouthair said:
I thought I was the only one with this problem. over the years my ends would always get thinner and thinner, even when i was natural.
What are you doing now. Are you using any heat? Are you relaxed?
I don't use heat very often and I cannot understand this.

TwistNMx

tijay said:
This is a great thread - I feel the same way about my ends. Progress is being made, but the ends are thin and one side grows faster than the other! I plan to trim after boot camp, so i'll keep my fingers crossed and see what happens.
This sounds just like my hair. :look:

TwistNMx

Sistaslick said:
Yeah keep us posted girl. I hear ya on the tired of cutting. Me too. I was having to trim inches of hair. Now that I'm doing the pre-emptive dustings thing there's no longer a need for that. I was so skeptical at first when I'd hear others trimming so "aggresively" and I wondered how they'd ever get anywhere doing that.:lol: But after awhile, I started to see that there's hardly anything to trim when the time comes. That never happened when I was trimming on a whenever I feel schedule. I really think there is something to the strong hemline theory. :lol:
Same here. I still wonder. But I guess it can only be healthy this way. I guess I shouldn't expect any miracles though if I decide to trim.

TwistNMx

victorious said:
The back of my hair (from ear to ear) grows faster than the rest. I frequently trim it while waiting for the rest to catch up. It looks so sparse back there if I don't even it up. That section is now apl, but the rest of my hair isn't.

:ohwell:
I can't tell because your hair is very nice. I guess there's something to be said about trims. :confused:

JazzyDez

High Priestess said:
I know what you mean. We've got to figure out how to stop this. :look:
Do you ever pull your hair back into a ponytail when damp after you wash it? This helps my hair to stay straight somewhat but I now have to find another way to do this since it is apparently thinning my ends now.
Relaxers weaken the hair even more. My last relaxer was around 2000 or 2001...one of those.

yes but always in a loose ponytail. I just wanted to try the blowout to see how I liked it and if it would straighten well when I had lots of NG. I was just dissapointed after my blowout that my hair looked so see thru that I put my 3/4 wig on the next day. (I would have anyways -hide your hair challenge- but i was really wanting to)

My friend told me that its probably because I am waiting so long for touchups. she has thick long hair that she relaxes often but her hair seems to be more in the 3's and it has always been long. I dont buy that as being my issue.

locabouthair

High Priestess said:
What are you doing now. Are you using any heat? Are you relaxed?
I don't use heat very often and I cannot understand this.

I don't use heat either. I haven't used heat since august. But yet my hair isn't making progress. We'e in the same boat. One thing about my hair is that it gets dry easily. i've always had a problem with dryness. Do you have that problem too? I always been reading on this forum about ladies who have gotten thicker hair just from eating healthier.

TwistNMx

locabouthair said:
I don't use heat either. I haven't used heat since august. But yet my hair isn't making progress. We'e in the same boat. One thing about my hair is that it gets dry easily. i've always had a problem with dryness. Do you have that problem too? I always been reading on this forum about ladies who have gotten thicker hair just from eating healthier.

Hair usually breaks off when it's too dry. So what I do is condition it well. When it's super dry, I do a hot oil treatment followed by a conditioner before and after I wash. It usually does the trick.
I lock in moisture when the hair is wet with oils and after it dries. The next day I use a leave-in conditioner and more oil. That usually keeps it moist. Also at bedtime, I use a little oil on my hair...especially the ends.
I notice people here who have thicker hair.
I eat healthy...no junk food...no fast food. I'm vegan, so I only eat organic healthy vegetables, fruits and grains.
I know that this is a long post, but some people here reported eating eggs for protein. HTH

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
High Priestess said:
I can't tell because your hair is very nice. I guess there's something to be said about trims. :confused:
Thanks, although you haven't seen what lies beneath. :lol: I get frustrated with the different lengths, but I don't want a big cut. I know better than to go near the scissors if I'm really frustrated.

Since you don't have breakage, it might be different rates of hair growth. I've read that massaging the slower growing areas helps, but I haven't been consistent enough to tell.

TwistNMx

victorious said:
Thanks, although you haven't seen what lies beneath. :lol: I get frustrated with the different lengths, but I don't want a big cut. I know better than to go near the scissors if I'm really frustrated.

Since you don't have breakage, it might be different rates of hair growth. I've read that massaging the slower growing areas helps, but I haven't been consistent enough to tell.
You're welcome.
I did a scalp massage last night too. I've been eye-ing the "Hair Rake" for a few years now and am just waiting for the price to drop a little more. ;)

Isis

High Priestess said:
Hair usually breaks off when it's too dry. So what I do is condition it well. When it's super dry, I do a hot oil treatment followed by a conditioner before and after I wash. It usually does the trick.
I lock in moisture when the hair is wet with oils and after it dries. The next day I use a leave-in conditioner and more oil. That usually keeps it moist. Also at bedtime, I use a little oil on my hair...especially the ends.
I notice people here who have thicker hair.
I eat healthy...no junk food...no fast food. I'm vegan, so I only eat organic healthy vegetables, fruits and grains.
I know that this is a long post, but some people here reported eating eggs for protein. HTH

I see oil mentioned a few times and conditioner, what about moisture? Besides oil, are your ends and hair getting enough moisture?

amwcah

Awesome thread! After reading this, my plan is to:

1. Loosely (this is my hardest challenge yet) bun my semi-dry to dry hair

2. Nightly massage my scalp to stimulate growth with my essential oils (rosemary, jojoba)

3. Dust as every 6-8 weeks or as needed focusing on evening the length

Thanks Ladies!:D

Radianthealth

JazzyDez said:
I am having the same problem. I had been rockin 3 quarter wigs all stretch and I got my first dominican blowout last weekend and my hair grew soo much. But it was so thin. I could clearly see my gold chain and everything else right through my hair. I just wanted to cry....:( It looks like I LOST hair but I havent noticed any excessive shedding or anything. I was 11 weeks post but I am due for a relaxer this weekend, the NG is out of control. I am just so down now since its pretty much pointless to have long see-thru hair.

:( JazzyDez now I am sure that we are hair twins. I flat ironed my hair last night at 12 weeks post and my crown is so much shorter than the rest of my hair and my hair seems so fine and thin. I hate to sound negative but it just makes me want to cry. My hair was supposed to be so much farther along. Sure it grew but maybe I need to look into other protective styles and figure out a way to relax my crown without all this damage:( :( :(

TwistNMx

Isis said:
I see oil mentioned a few times and conditioner, what about moisture? Besides oil, are your ends and hair getting enough moisture?
Sorry for replying so late. Got busy.
Anyway, I use Fructus leave-in conditioner and seal it with an oil (wet or dry), and I also sometimes use Parnevu leave-in conditioner and seal it with an oil. I usually do this on damp hair though.
HTH
BTW, I just luv, luv, luv...your hair :love: