Things I’m learning along the way on my new natural hair journey

levette

.. 1.one mistake I was making was doing stretched styles by braiding and using curling creams as my moisturizer which made major shrinkage and made hair a little stiffer. 2. another was over saturating my hair with water instead of misting my hair which of course caused more shrinkage.

Share your lessons you have learned on your journey

Last edited:

mmeadows1

4b natural, APL
Accepting and loving my 4c coils. Not fighting it or trying to change it to something else (I.e 3b curls).

Determining my hairs porosity level and adjusting my regimen To it. Low porosity hair takes longer to absorb water and product. Take care when selecting oils since some will absorb, like jojoba oil. While others will just sit on the surface of your hair.

Even though I am natural, I still need some protein products. I went too far with all moisture products - no proteins and had issues retaining length.

VictoriousBrownFlower

two things i learned that were major benefits to my journey was what ingredients my hair likes/dislikes... with that info i can tell just by reading the ingredient list of products if my hair will respond well to them or not but it took time.
2. how to work with my hair to get the best results in any style. Another one that took alot of time and practice but mastering ur hair is the number one best place to be for any natural on their journey... After that the rest is a cake walk

honerable mentions: learning to twist my hair (took me past the dreaded awkward stage super easily)
trimming but this can become a downfall if ur like me and become scissor happy all the time.

KenyafromCT

I’ve learned that my lopo hair needs very little protein. I’ve also learned that I can no longer make DIY herb oils with tons of ingredients. I had a pretty interesting allergic reaction. Blotchy itchy sore palms and super sore soles of feet/heels. I’ve made oils so many times and had no issues.
My new additions were
Fenugreek
Kalonji oil
Hemp seed ool
Safflower oil
Bringraj
Saw palmetto
Arnica Montana
Clary sage leaves
Sour Sop powder
Cedar wood oil

Yup. I sure overdid it. Now I have to toss it. I also began drinking fenugreek water & added fresh guava to my diet.

KenyafromCT

I learned to listen to my hair & keep a balance of moisture/protein..Not keep braids in too long,always apply treatments on my edges & keep the lower length of my hair sealed.

Happy Hair Growing!
Which edge treatments? Mine have thickened up by me applying a moisturizer and sealing with an oil.
How are you sealing ends? That’s my issue. They tend to be dry.

kupenda

The LCO/LOC method isn’t for me either.
My hair likes oilier moisturizers (like Qhemet Moringa Tree) for out styles and touch ups.
Washing every four days is ideal for my scalp.
My Wack Patch (very coarse, breaks easily, at my crown) needs a super gentle touch and likely it’s own regimen. I even have to twist it differently for twist outs.
Twisouts look better on mostly dry hair with an oily moisturizer and followed with letting shower humidity work on it and taking the twists down the next day

sunshinebeautiful

What products do you use ?

My stylist recommends eliminating any product that contains oil or any kind of butter in the top 5 ingredients. I've been adhering to that. I've only been doing wash and go styling since I found her, so the products she recommended for me are: Matrix Sleek shampoo, Matrix Moisture Me Rich conditioner, and then I apply gel.

I've successfully used these gel combos: Kinky Curly Knot Today + Curly Custard, Mielle Pomegranate Curly Custard + Aunt Jackies Flaxseed Gel, and Uncle Funky's Daughter + I Create Hold. That's it. No moisturizers needed. No product application between washes. When my hair gets dry, I reshampoo.

I was doing the LOC/LCO method before - and was in the dry hair struggle. I was initially skeptical but I tried it and it worked. Been on board ever since.

Lita

Which edge treatments? Mine have thickened up by me applying a moisturizer and sealing with an oil.
How are you sealing ends? That’s my issue. They tend to be dry.
@KenyafromCT Hello! I use different stimulation treatments on my scalp,currently I’m using Tainted Love slippery elm Salve on my edges..For the lower length of my hair,I alternate by using olive butters,heavy oils or natures blessing hair grease on the ends..But before you apply the butters,oils or grease on on your lower length,make sure to use a moisturizer that’s water based first,after you apply the butters/oils/or hair grease..This method should help keep your ends from drying out..

****Good luck!! Keep us posted & listen to your hair.

Happy Hair Growing!

KenyafromCT

@KenyafromCT Hello! I use different stimulation treatments on my scalp,currently I’m using Tainted Love slippery elm Salve on my edges..For the lower length of my hair,I alternate by using olive butters,heavy oils or natures blessing hair grease on the ends..But before you apply the butters,oils or grease on on your lower length,make sure to use a moisturizer that’s water based first,after you apply the butters/oils/or hair grease..This method should help keep your ends from drying out..

Happy Hair Growing!
Hi there. Thanks sis. It was suggested by @Lita I believe. She told me to grab some salon quality shampoo by Redken or Pureology. She said they are great for dry ends and her hair care professional suggested it to her. I’ll do that later.
Last night I sprayed my hair with water, applied Soultanicals Aqua Mane Leave in and sealed with an oil mix that I ordered from a small business last year. I worked it into each section very well and then twisted it up.

KenyafromCT

Happy Hair Growing!
Ha! I didn’t realize it was you who replied. Hilarious. It must have been someone else who suggested the salon quality shampoos.

ckisland

1. Taking ALL of the butters out of my regimen has been one of the best things that I have ever done for my natural hair.
2. Deep conditioning weekly has been a game changer. I don't worry about maintaining protein/moisture balance at all anymore.
3. Not sealing my hair with oil! Oh my gosh! All it does to my low porosity hair is prevent any additional moisture from getting through into my hair.
4. Detangling with a brush. I finger detangle lightly before I use my brush, but my fingers ain't doing diddily squat on their own.
5. I don't need to sleep with my hair covered :hide: No, my hair doesn't get dry overnight. Yes, my wash n'gos are nice and full and not all wonky shaped.