Things that DIDN'T work for me *WOMP WOMP*

chebaby

hairveda sitrinilla. no matter how many times i tried to make this work it just didnt. on transitioning hair it did nothing. on natural hair it left white bits all over my hair.

bee mine deja milk. i dont even know how moisturizing this is because as soon as i applied it it left white bits all over my head. had to wash that mess out.

lolascurls

Mine aren't too many....I hope!
1) Shea butter: in products with lots of water before it...it's ok. By itself or in a whipped consistency, too heavy and too much!
2) Sulphur: I may not have been consistent enough with this but still...the smell!
3) Mega tek: I was religiously using this baby and nope, no difference. I use it as a protein DC now.
4) Afroveda Alma butter: heavy, dry mess and the scent was overwhelming....gave it away!

That's me for now!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Tiiva DC
Avj
Excessive use of -cones
Cheap conditioners & LIs - Aussie, HE, V05, NTM etc etc
ETA:
Giovanni
Kinky Curly
Taaliah Waajid PMB
...I'm sure there are more that I'm not thinking of at the moment...

Last edited:

jerseygurl

Not a new member
Adding Silicon Mix - scent was overpowering and it did not do nada for me

As a natural, I have to start over to find what my hair likes. It didn't like a lot when relaxed so this should be interesting. I've always wanted to try Shea Moisture products but now I'm thinking twice from these less than stellar reviews.

MsDes

Wen products,rinsing with cold water,cheapie con,latin dc'... Happy Hair Growing!

Cold water rinse don't work for me either. Thought it was just me. It's makes my hair frizzy and tangled.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using HTC Sensation 4G

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Finger combing- say what now??

Yeah my hair was like; nah girl, quit playin' and get a comb! :lol:

Mmmm what else:

Co-washing: I really wanted this to work. Scalp loves it, hair not so much. Feels good for like a day, then my hair feels coated and tangly.

Coconut oil. I used to use it sparingly when I was relaxing, but now that I'm transitioning it absolutely detests it. Can we say branches and twigs for hair?

Shea butter. Avoid it like the plague. Sticky, greasy, dry mess.

Wax. See Shea butter :lol:

Ogoma

- ACV rinses - dry, straw-like hair
- Adding products to soaking wet hair
- Rinsing with cold water
- Aloe vera gel
- Shea Butter - left my hair dry, waxy, and oily at the same time
- Olive oil - too heavy
- Sunflower oil - too heavy
- Too many oils to bother listing the fails in this category
- Oyin Whipped Pudding
- Oyin Hair Dew - works as a moisturizer, but fails as a leave-in
- Oyin Honey Wash
- Cush Uncoiled
- Cush Moisturize Me
- Curl Junkie H&BDF (my hair hates any type of oat protein: hydrolyzed oat flour)
- Curl Junkie Daily Fix (hydrolyzed oat flour)
- Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin Seed Conditioner (hydrolyzed oat protein)
- Qhemet Biologics BRBC (oatstraw extract)
- Qhemet Biologics OHHB - left my hair a greasy mess. I canceled dinner plans
- SSI Shampoos
- Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque - awful
- Burt Bees Super Shiny Conditioner - just water would have been more effective and cheaper.
- Pretending I had the attention span needed to be a mixtress. Upside: I have a ton of butters to use on my skin this winter.

These are the ones I remember. I had more okays than misses and my successes were amazing for my hair. I refuse to think about all the wasted money.

MsLi@512

I have two large plastic underbed boxes full off crap that doesn't work on my hair - i could open up a shop.

Aloe Vera Juice - great at detangling but once the hair has dried it is hard and crispy.

Aphogee 2 step - waste of time and money, did nothing to stop breakage.

Coconut Oil - leaves my hair feeling like straw.

All gels - it is like i've put water in my hair, they don't lay a damn hair down on my head.

Any water type leave-in's - uh? Did i actually put anything in my hair?

Glycerin/honey - any product that has it in just makes my hair a sticky, hard mess.

Sulpher - it leaves a thick coating on my scalp and itches.

Protein in anything - it just makes my hair hard, hard, break, break - the exception is ORS Replenishing Conditioner. I'm soooo sick of protein hidden in everything by using fancy names for it. I forgot i always used Keracare Humecto before this HHJ and that's what i'm going back to. Sod the protein/moisture balance - it don't work for me.
Yes, forget relaxers and heat. Hidden proteins are the debil. :yep:

Keen

Silicon Mix I really wanted to try this product bcuz of all the rave reviews it got, went my local BSS wkly for updates until they got it in stock, tried it and my hair hated that thing.. it was dry, hard, brittle and not the softness people were talking bout.

NTM Leave-in did nothing for my hair my hair felt like it didn't even moisturize it, just after finishing.

HELTR what moisture, still waiting for that to happen; still have a full bottle.

Glycerin makes my hair hard

AVJ doesn't moisturize my hair, my hair feels stripped of any moisture it had after using this
and the list goes on.......

TeeSGee if you have any NTM leave in left, try it on dry hair. My hair loves it. It always give me that feel good hair.

Keen

the products i've tried have been helping...in their own/different ways. so i have no major complaints.

what my hair HATES! is baggying!!! my hair comes out extremely wet and limp...i have thick hair....its too hard to style after baggying imo

Wow - yeah, I forgot about baggying. :nono: Let me add that to my list.

NaNaEternally faithVA

I only baggy when I don't need to style my hair. So I just pull it back on a ponytail. If I need to style, I have to co-wash.

LaidBak

Giovanni Direct Leave In- left my hair feeling coated and dull
Megatek - gave me mega protein overload

MsLi@512

OK...so the same people in this thread need to say what DOES work in their hair because alot of us in here don't like the same things. I'm guessing our hair reacts in similar ways. I think that would be a great help because i need help in finding a truely moisturising leave-in and a creamy moisturiser - i know that is what my hair needs.

Added to my list is Bee Mine Balanced Moisturiser - this is creamy water!!

I hear you. I use natural products primarily. Okay, let's see for the whole hidden proteins problem, I use the only d/c that is within my reach ( I am not a fan of online ordering), that totally makes my hair melt without fancy protein named ingredients, cones, mineral oil or petroleum. And that is Dubur, Vatika d/c with the purple top. For leave ins I use KKNT alone. No Kimmaytube mixture for me. For cheapie conditioners to co-wash I use Trader Joe's Nourishing Spa or Tea Tree Tingle and the shampoos as well of this line.

Last edited:

Renewed1

Cheapie conditioners - Suave, Herbal Essences, White Rain, Alberto VO5, etc.

Yup! I gave all of my cheap conditioners to my friend. Those things were a waste of money!!! I only use Giovanni SOS on my hair now.

Also,

Ovation Cell Therapy - too much protein

Tangle Teezer - I have mid shaft hair breakage cause of this thing.

Sulfur - don't know what happened, I use to like it, but it broke me out.

Denman Brush - rip my hair out.

Maxiglide - that thing pull my thickness out.

Argan Oil - broke my face out.

faithVA

@NaNaEternally @faithVA

I only baggy when I don't need to style my hair. So I just pull it back on a ponytail. If I need to style, I have to co-wash.

Baggying makes my scalp burn and then once it dries my hair is hard and wiry (sp). :nono: I could baggy the ends up my hair is still to short to do that easily. I will try baggying the ends when my hair reaches APL.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
Some more!

Carol's Daughter Hair Milk. Smelled like Lemon Pledge and was waaayyy too expensive for it to be just meh on my hair. I can get the same meh results for a loot cheaper and without smelling like freshly polished furniture. She charges too much for her products to just be average. Well, at least on my hair.

Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner. I like the shampoo, but the conditioner can suck it. I used to kind of like it, but the last time I tried it in my hair, my hair wasn't havin it. Maybe I should add an oil to it? I have an almost full bottle of the stuff.

Suave Almond and Shea Butter Conditioner :( *pours a lil safflower oil for a fallen friend* this was my favorite conditioner while transitioning. I would deep condition with it, cowash with it. Hold it close at night. Whenever I smell it, I am transported back to simpler times (yeah I still keep a bottle, so WHAT) It was my rock. It was a staple before I knew what it truly meant to be a staple. But once I went fully natural... :( We are now seeing different conditioners, but the memories are still there :*

Lita

Cold water rinse don't work for me either. Thought it was just me. It's makes my hair frizzy and tangled.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using HTC Sensation 4G

MsDes Yes,My hair tangled like no bodies business it does.not.like.cold.water...

Happy Hair Growing!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Yup! I gave all of my cheap conditioners to my friend. Those things were a waste of money!!! I only use Giovanni SOS on my hair now.

Also,

Ovation Cell Therapy - too much protein

Tangle Teezer - I have mid shaft hair breakage cause of this thing.

Sulfur - don't know what happened, I use to like it, but it broke me out.

Denman Brush - rip my hair out.

Maxiglide - that thing pull my thickness out.

Argan Oil - broke my face out.
MarriageMaterial, at the bolded...
In 2010, I was a hair newbie and was using the tangle teezer. I didn't really look for splits during this point in time. In 2011, I've been paying closer attention to my hair and checking for splits. I'm noticing some splits that I don't recall having previously, but then again, as mentioned, I wasn't checking on the regular. I have shelved my tangle teezer and will likely not whip it back out unless I'm in a heck of a tangled situation.

jetera21

I just tried WEN tonight, the Sweet Almond Mint. It felt great on my scalp, but made my hair tangle like a *****! I'm so pissed! I lost quite a bit of hair.

Keen

Baggying makes my scalp burn and then once it dries my hair is hard and wiry (sp). :nono: I could baggy the ends up my hair is still to short to do that easily. I will try baggying the ends when my hair reaches APL.
You may be using the wrong product. You should try to determine of u need moisture or light protein. Sound like u are using protein based. Try using moisture like NTM leave in.

faithVA

You may be using the wrong product. You should try to determine of u need moisture or light protein. Sound like u are using protein based. Try using moisture like NTM leave in.

I don't use any protein except for a conditioner. I only use oils and butters. And I will do a protein conditioner every now and then. My hair isn't too crazy about protein so I keep the usage to my conditioners.

So I use an AO conditioner which has protein, oil rinse with sunflower oil or an oil blend and then either SM Smoothie or shea butter. That's it.

I don't use many commercial products unless they are natural, no synthetics, etc. etc.

NikkiGirl

Oil Rinsing left me a greasy mess and it didn't detangle at all. My Denman with regular conditioner works much better!

equestrian

Ugghhh hello hydration!!!!!!! just terrible, same with aussie. both seemed to make my hair porous, it felt super moisturized in the shower, and a couple hours later it would be rough and brittle looking. Suave humectant was a no go as well, although I did like the Almond and Shea butter formulation, plus Any form of Garnier aside from the Triple nutrition line(same thing with the porosity).

Last edited:

Jetblackhair

1.Giovanni Direct: hair crispier than a 2 piece at kfc
2.roller setting: Looked okay the first time, strange the second time, scared my dog the last time i tried.
3.Products with silicone, petroleum, mineral oil and hidden proteins: I desperately wanted to like them so that I could boast of not being a product snob (and save some cash), but my hair unfortunately is. Left my hair, hard, coated,and drier than Gandhi's sandals within 24 hours.
4.Ecostyler gel: got a big dumb jar for like $4.00 at Sally's but it dries and leaves flakes ruining my attempts to not wash my hair for a week. And contributing to my hand in hair disease.
5.Silicone Mix: Tried to sneak it in recently because someone I knew used and liked it, my hair was not fooled (please see item #3of things that did not work)

:lachen::lachen::lachen:Oh my gosh, my side hurts laughing at your post!

BlkOnyx488

ovation-- that over priced mess did nothing for my hair. i notice it is not talked about anymore that was the beginning and the end of my product junkieism.

baking soda rinses- just made my hair hard.

aphogee 2 min- that sent me into a two year setback :(

what does work

i love ACV rinses
bentonite clay cleanses both leave my hair soft and tangle free. but i don't like the time it takes to dry a clay mask so i only do them every 3 months.

so far proclaim dc has been doing my hair well.

and i love my maxiglide.

Computer Blue

It's only mountains and the sea
Silicon Mix original dc ( although my hair loves the leave in and the bambu dc)

HEHH conditioner
Giovanni Direct leave in( my hair hates soy protein:nono:)

Paul Mitchell Supercharged Moisture (see above)

Shea Moisture restorative mask -was like glue as a dc its ok as a leave in. will not repurchase.

Shea moisture curling smoothie- only liked to create a topknot under ecostyler olive gel this summer- but my hair was sooo sticky

Carol's Daughter smoothie- like glue, irritated my scalp

Although I can use/like Curl Junkie,shea moisture curling smoothie/milk as leave ins, I really don't care for and am avoiding the shea, aloe, glycerin containing products. I have to be careful with the proteins, even plant.