Things that DIDN'T work for me *WOMP WOMP*

truequeen06

-Miss Jessie's Curling Pudding
-Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque. I've never had my hair feel tangled and dry after deep conditioning before.
-She Scent It Seyani Hair Butter. Protein overload.
-White Rain Conditioner
-Denman Brush

iri9109

suave humectant- my hair has never felt so horrible...thats the only product that i've ever just thrown away after 1st use

care free curl moisturizer/activator -ewww. and it stank.

tangle teezer- awesome detangling and definition, but it tore up my ends and gave me mid-shaft splits

suave coconut- i liked this when i was transitioning and when i 1st BC'd, but as my hair got longer it was like wtf is this watery mess?

shea moisture raw shea masque as a dc...its really too thick for dc purposed and left my hair dryish and nasty...as a moisturizer/leave-in its good but i really hate the smell now.

sulfur was a bust also...it stank, was too runny...it stank...didnt see results...and it stank. so did the ayurvedic oils that i tried.

chesleeb

Cowashing- tore my scalp up
Kimmaytube mix- worked for while transitioning but after while product build up, hair just didn't look right after 6mths
Shea Butter- just didn't work many combos i tried
Kinky Curly hair gel- looked like a dried up jerry curl on my 4c hair
Oil mix- I cannot use this on my scalp broke me out on the face, i only use oils for hot oil treatments or mixing with DC's
Water Spritz- I must be the only one who's hair doesn't like spritz again it just dried and left a crusty residue
Damn near going broke on shampoo, conditioner, leave in and the list goes on...
*Spending 4 damn hours on my hair to wash and condition and etc.. did I mention I have short hair and I have kids! Spent many months wasting this kind of time never again "natural" is supposed to be simple missed that point but I got it now!

faithVA

Cowashing- tore my scalp up
Kimmaytube mix- worked for while transitioning but after while product build up, hair just didn't look right after 6mths
Shea Butter- just didn't work many combos i tried
Kinky Curly hair gel- looked like a dried up jerry curl on my 4c hair
Oil mix- I cannot use this on my scalp broke me out on the face, i only use oils for hot oil treatments or mixing with DC's
Water Spritz- I must be the only one who's hair doesn't like spritz again it just dried and left a crusty residue
Damn near going broke on shampoo, conditioner, leave in and the list goes on...
*Spending 4 damn hours on my hair to wash and condition and etc.. did I mention I have short hair and I have kids! Spent many months wasting this kind of time never again "natural" is supposed to be simple missed that point but I got it now!

No you're not the only one but you can't say it out loud around here cuz water is the best moisturizer :look: So just nod and KIM :yep:

LaFemmeNaturelle

lmao Thanks to reading this I'm never wasting my money on anything new again! Sticking to what I know works until it doesn't work anymore.

chesleeb

faithVA ok girl u got me :lol: I didn't mean water spritz I use water but not the kind you buy with all the other stuff added to it like: aloe vera juice, olive oil, and etc.. thanks girl for checking me on that one.

TRINITY05

Oyin burnt sugar pomeade

She-scent it

shea butter

kinky kurly

eco-styler gel

giovanni leave-in

carol's daughter- except for the hair balm

glycerin

Legally Natural

Coconut Oil- made my hair dry and brittle

Apogee 2 Min.- It's okay to use when my hair is braided, but using it on loose hair was a horrible mistake because it makes my hair curl up too much so it is harder to detangle

HEHH- I could feel the silicone coating on my hair and it dries hard

Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque- The worst deep conditioner ever. Love it as a leave-in styler though

The Juices (glycerin)-yeah, no

One-n-only Argan Shampoo- omg, so bad. It made my hair feel so stripped and it is suppose to be sulfate free.

Aussie Moist Conditioner-Super tangles!

Darcy Botanicals Peach Kernel Hydrating Milk- Made my hair so dry

Aveda Brilliant Conditioner- I bought this conditioner from the salon at my apt building because I ran out of conditioner. Worst mistake of my life! This is by far the worst conditioner I have ever tried in my life! I now use it as a very expensive shaving cream. This conditioner cannot be saved.

I would tell people to try to experiment with the products that are not so great. I have mixed my not-so-favorite products in several situations and hit the hair jackpot. And if it is a conditioner that can't be saved, use it to shave.

InBloom

In my new-growth
+ 42 on Aloe Vera - tangled mess

Anything Giovanni

Anything Bee Mine

Chi Silk Infusion - it hurt my soul to realize I hated it

NTM mask - may as well have been aloe vera, same tangled mess. This represents my last setback. Daily reminders of how I detest this junk everytime I look in the mirror at my hair.

RainyDaze

Steaming - It did nothing for my hair.
HELTR conditioner - Left coating on my hair and did not work well with ecostyler gel.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
Sulfur growth aides

Bantu knots...my hair just can't take them.

Twists...just makes my hair straight with kinky bends. Unatractive.

Olive Oil. It just lays on the hair doing not a thing for it.

Elasta QP Soyil Conditioner - I think I'll just pour the rest down the drain, and keep the tub for mixes...the tub has more value to me.

LovelyNaps26

Carol's Daughter Hair Milk :nono: it is like the anti-moisturizer

Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer was almost a fail until I started mixed it with aloe vera gel to subside the greasiness

Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie: I can only use on my occasionally blown out hair b/c it imparts so little moisture that my hair doesn't totally revert.

V05 Moisture Milk: it's like skim milk conditioner

Miss Jessies Curly Meringue- my hair takes FOREVER to dry if use it for a braid out and it leaves white flakes :nono:

Pantene Beautiful Lengths Conditioner: BAD TO THE BONE :barf:

Tangle Teezer: :cry: detangled beautifully but alas the splits came

and last but not least

The Bootleg Denman: The Conair one at CVS. It is the perfect tool to use if you want to go bald slowly :yep:

Last edited:

jhcprincess

Ovation Cell Therapy- really thinned my hair out and took a year to recover

Carol's Daughter Khoret Amen shampoo- felt like washing my hair with industrial strength floor cleaner

Motions Oil Moisturizer- LHCF was right, mineral oil is the devil

Seamonster

Tangle teazer, removed tangles like butter, but my hair wasn't in good enough condition for this tool, makes a great brush cleaner.
Curl Junkie Curl Queen, no hold, no style
Curl Junkie Queen Repair me as an all in one My hair got hard the day I used it, and preceded to get hard and brittle the next day. Now I follow with a deep moisturizer

TeeSGee

@TeeSGee if you have any NTM leave in left, try it on dry hair. My hair loves it. It always give me that feel good hair.

I tried that before I gave up.. didn't work on wet, damp, airdried, or flat ironed hair. my hair felt like nothing was added. no moisture. and it was expensive for that little bottle (Canada) :ohwell:

BreeNique

AH! LOVING THIS THREAD!

What didn't work:
-Denman: -____- yeah. there's a time and a place for that thing. neither is on my head.

-Aloe vera juice: maybe my version was old/ no good, but the stuff did nada for me. I'll probably purchase it again in 2012 in a small bottle, but I'm truly not in love with the mess.

-Garlic pills : yeah, they made me smell terrible, my blood began to thin, and they gave me MONSTROUS headaches. It's a wrap for now.

Detangling on wet hair: nope. not really an option. I detangle on dry/ damp-ish hair

Co-washing/ washing in braids : SERIOUSLY LADIES, AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG? I ALMOST ALWAYS END UP TAKING THE BRAIDS DOWN TO WASH ALL THE CONDISH OUT OF MY HEAD!

Anyway, for each semi-fail, there's a lesson learned, a product used, and a new lovely kinky hair growin' from my scalp!

msbettyboop

Dencrap brush my behind! I was so upset. I ordered it from UK and paid a fortune in S & H and everything. When I tried it on my hair, it felt like jaws had just dug his teeth in. It yanked out hair in bucketfuls. So I modified it and tried again and it yanked out even more hair and the most annoying thing was, it didn't even DETANGLE my hair. It's lying in my bathroom now useless. Complete waste of money!

Tangle Teezer. Amazing detangling properties and even more amazing hair extraction and hair splitting properties. If you've always wanted to know what it feels like to go bald very very slowly, the TT is the way to go! Also ordered from UK with a fortune in S & H but at least it's not useless. I use it to detangle my wigs now.

I'm just going to stick to my various sized bone combs forever and ever.

prettypithy

Let me add another two:

Carol's Daughter Hair Milk: Costs a ton, comes in a small bottle, you have to use a lot and it actually sucks moisture from my hair. My hair, air dried with no product has more moisture.

Coconut Oil: Actually, this made my hair soft, supple and luxurious...but it broke me out like hell and gave me an itchy rash. :perplexed

NaturalEnigma

Darcy's botanical peach kernel moisturizer
Aussie moist conditioner
Any product with cones
Any product that has rosemary or peppermint high on the list dries out my hair
Hollywood Beauty olive oil moisturizer
Komakazee coconut hair lotion
Renpure Organics My Pretty Hair is Parched moisturizing conditioner
Shescenit banana brûlée
Bee mine luscious moisturizer
Shea moisture coconut and hibiscus moisturizing spray
Beautiful curls moisturizing spray

MsDes

The tangle teezer gave me midshaft splits too. Those skinny somewhat sharp teeth just tears through my hair strands...

LovelyNaps26

oh MSM and Biotin. MSM gave me migraines like whoa and Biotin made me break out. i figured being miserable and having a face full of pimples wasn't worth an extra .5 inches of hair a month.

GreenEyedJen

Interesting thread...
I have tried many products that didn't work for me, but the first ones to pop into mind are:
1. Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade. Love the smell, but that's it. It doesn't do anything for me, and I've tried it so many ways. I absolutely adore anything else Oyin, so this was particularly disappointing.

2. Straight Castor oil. My hair is way too fine for it. It doesn't even work as an oil rinse for me. Castor oil in commercial products is fine though.

3. Roux Porosity Control: Just no. It actually felt like it did the opposite of what it should do. The French Perm product for porosity works much better for me.

4. Silicon Mix, ORS Replenishing Pack, and VO5 Conditioners: None of these products condition my hair at all. ORS actually made my hair tangly.

Those were the things that popped into my head immediately.

Sent from my Eris using Eris

kupenda

The half and half methid of self relaxing... I have breakage all up and down ny middle part lol

That's just what I was coming in here to say! I can't do half and half. Never again

And I can't do Silicon Mix. CHI Silk Infusion is not a repurchase. HE LTR Leave In, or any kind of foam wrap. Big huge nono

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF :)