Things that DIDN'T work for me *WOMP WOMP*

youwillrise

Shea butter and products containing shea butter...(with the exception of aubrey organics conditioners which I loooove)
Olive and coconut oil
Honey
Thin/runny conditioners
Silicone
Pretty much all leave ins and moisturizers (whether they're natural or chemical laden)..what does work for me is twice a week dc's & oil rinses and spritzing my hair wih a boring mix of water & castor oil

blackberry815

I have two large plastic underbed boxes full off crap that doesn't work on my hair - i could open up a shop.

Aloe Vera Juice - great at detangling but once the hair has dried it is hard and crispy.

Aphogee 2 step - waste of time and money, did nothing to stop breakage.

Coconut Oil - leaves my hair feeling like straw.

All gels - it is like i've put water in my hair, they don't lay a damn hair down on my head.

Any water type leave-in's - uh? Did i actually put anything in my hair?

Glycerin/honey - any product that has it in just makes my hair a sticky, hard mess.

Sulpher - it leaves a thick coating on my scalp and itches.

Protein in anything - it just makes my hair hard, hard, break, break - the exception is ORS Replenishing Conditioner. I'm soooo sick of protein hidden in everything by using fancy names for it. I forgot i always used Keracare Humecto before this HHJ and that's what i'm going back to. Sod the protein/moisture balance - it don't work for me.

Bublin if u need someone to take that two step off your hands let me know!

BronzyBella

JetSet rollers - got stuck/broke some of my relaxed hair off

Baggying - I can't sleep with damp hair or a shower cap on

KCCC - too sticky

prospurr4

Waiting TOO long between trims...caused my ends to break off badly.

It wasn't a problem early in my HHJ, but after passing BSB length, I realized that my ends were older and more prone to splits, so they require more frequent trimming. Now, I trim every 3 to 6 months, and my retention is much improved.

Last edited:

Rina88

1. Roux porosity control. I DETEST this stuff. The only time it ever worked and didn't completely ruin my whole wash and DC session by leaving it dry, coated and with low porosity was when I did a hardcore protein treatment kick for damaged hair (read in this life saving thread Damaged Hair Treatment Recommendations ). I've tried using it for 3 years and it's only worked that one time.
2. Organix shampoo- STRIPPING
3. HairOne Olive Oil cleanser- BUILDUP, too expensive not to clean anything and left hair feeling wiry/dry. I had to shampoo my hair after every use- dumb. I know.
4. V05 M.M. con's.- worked like a charm when relaxed, now all they do is cause tangles and leave scalp gunk like #3.
5. AVJ or BSS Gel- doesn't hold down anything unless I put several handfuls on.
6. Shea Butter and EVCO- leaves hair greasy and dry and it doesn't smell too great IMO.
7. ORS Replenishing Pac- idk if it doesn't work anymore but since I've found AO conditioners it can't compare so I haven't used it in many months.
8. All my styles besides my puff, bun and straightened- Some lead to breakage, some are dry but they all they look a MESS.

tiffjust2002

Okay here is my list:

Raw Cocoa Butter: as a moisturizer for my face I had this brilliant (not really) idea that I could use it after I wash my face as a moisturizer epic FAIL it broke me out so bad and my dumb self didn't realize it was the cocoa butter until I read on a thread here that it broke someone else's face out then I had that Oprah Ah-ha moment, stopped using it and my face cleared up : /

Shea Butter: I made a mix for my hair and my DD's hair well it works great for her but for me fail! It is feels like it sits on my hair and it's greasy and it well just plain sucks!

Any kind of hair milk: I tried Carol's Daughter and Shea Moisture they do not ABSOLUTELY nothing for my hair AT ALL. But they really define my son's curls

VO5 Conditioner: I started using this as my co-wash conditioner in the beginning of my hair journey it's so dang thin and even thinner when I added EVOO to it and doesn't even give my hair that super soft moisturized feeling as the Suave Almond Shea Butter butter so I quit using it I'll save my dolla he he he :)

and the worst fail of them all was this homemade deep conditioner I made with avocados, honey, EVOO and coconut milk that mess had my hair feeling like straight up straw if I were near a flame I would have been bald. It took a week just to get it back to feeling like normal again. NEVER AGAIN

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Uh....most natural things. :look:
the only natural thing i can really use is castor oil for my scalp in braids and a lil honey in my DC. most anything else, womp womp.

moonglowdiva

Coconut oil - it vanishes when I put it on my hair
Argan Oil - it made my hair break
henna - too complicated
relaxers - not worth the trouble
shampoos - idk ~ i use it sparingly at most & it causes tangles
Mane n tail - my hair reacts violantly to this stuff

Kimiche

Well i will didos on the megatek i got protein overload from that and had major set back.
all things gels. Cant stand them and after using them for about a week my hair be just as dry as it want ta be. I am still on my edges having a come back.

Megatek - Hair was coming out; breaking like a mug
Sulfur - Caused Mucho Build up and caking! nothing happened at all

No Band Wagons!

:cry: Same here. I tried it a few years ago and got protein overload. My hair has never fully recovered. I'm still kicking myself to this day for trying this mess.

Last edited:

jillybean2012

I am a newbie so I really don't know yet what works for me. I know what doesn't so far.

1.Motions Oil Moisture Regular Hair Relaxer- I am definetely going to change my relaxer. This has left my hair dull, dry etc.

2. Hydratherma Naturals Growth lotion - Hair is greasy!!!

FtrDrO

Shea butter!!!! Alone, whipped, hidden in a product's list....hair HATES it. Leaves my hair hard and coated.

Denman: Rips my hair out

Cheapie Conditioner.....no go

10 en 1.....left my hair a tangled mess

Cone heavy products....builds up on my hair and just sits on it.

ms.blue

-Hairveda products don't really except for the phyto keratin acai berry conditioner
-organic argan oil leaves my hair dry (I use it on my body)
-motions products
-virgin coconut oil (made my hair hard)
-roux porosity control was my ish but now my hair can't tolerate it.
-kckt sucks
-megatek cream rinse

Computer Blue

It's only mountains and the sea
Silicon Mix original dc ( although my hair loves the leave in and the bambu dc)

HEHH conditioner
Giovanni Direct leave in( my hair hates soy protein:nono:)

Paul Mitchell Supercharged Moisture (see above)

Shea Moisture restorative mask -was like glue as a dc its ok as a leave in. will not repurchase.

Shea moisture curling smoothie- only liked to create a topknot under ecostyler olive gel this summer- but my hair was sooo sticky

Carol's Daughter smoothie- like glue, irritated my scalp

Although I can use/like Curl Junkie,shea moisture curling smoothie/milk as leave ins, I really don't care for and am avoiding the shea, aloe, glycerin containing products. I have to be careful with the proteins, even plant.

Thought of some more from When I first relaxed(2004)
Keracare leave in-too greasy, ineffective
Keracare Wrap/Set foam
Biosilk fruit cocktail conditioner
Biosilk serum- dried me out
NTM mask and leave in-not moisturizing and the mask was like glue
Cantu conditioner-yuck! I won't try anything else by them
9 en 1-did nothing
Capilo Aloe Vera dc
Pantene natural and relaxed conditioner- was the bomb on my natural hair
Mizani Moisturefuse dc

lushcoils

Homemade anything. My hair rejects all of my creations.

Avoiding trimming, protein, detangling, and shampooing. For some reason, on another message board, they preach that naturals don't need to do any of the above because natural hair is "strong" and my hair suffered for listening to them for years.

Qhemet products.

Raw shea butter, coconut oil by themselves. My hair likes these things only when it's mixed in with other things by a professional, not by me.

abcd09

EVCO- felt nice, but leaves fibers in the hair. Made the mistake of going to a place with black lights with friends and it looked like my hair was very, very dirty. Tried straining it, fibers still appeared. And freezes on my hair as well in cold temps.

EVOO- sits on hair, leaves it feeling dry

AO HSR- does nothing

Giovanni leave in- does nothing

Aussie 3 min- tangles! :nono:

Keracare leave in- does nothing/dries hair

Braid outs/washing in braids- tangles. ends tangle together= breakage.

Joico Moisture balm- does nothing

Heavy sealing with vaseline= tangles/dryness

Not shampooing or combing= BUILDUP/matted roots

What does work:
Mixing Humecto/Humective for DC
Argan oil for moisture
Vatika oil during warm months for shine
Hot Six oil- for straightened hair
DC 2x a week
Aphogee 2 min once a week
Joico Chelating Shampoo
Keracare Moisture shampoo

Oyin Honey Hemp Conditioner (which is a shame since I love Oyin Handmade's Oyin Hair Dew) - It just sat on my hair without any slip.

Shea Butter - Greasy. I will not use on my hair (but my skin is fine)

Skiggle

What did not work:
Being a PJ
Aloe Vera Juice--Hard hair

What works:
Glycerin+Water
Rhassoul Clay
Silicon Mix Bambu
Honey with all my DC's
Jojoba/Castor Oil
Henna/Ayurvedic Pastes
Bobeam Shampoo Bars
Simple Regimen
Low manipulation/hiding my hair

I'm still looking for the perfect moisturizer...

RarityFluttershy

1. S-Curl Spray. My Hair Hates That Damn S-Curl Spray.
(Everyone Raves About It And It Does Nothing For My Hair.)
2. Low Manipulation:nono2:(Never Again:nono:).
3. No Shampooing:rolleyes:. (That Was Just Gross)
4. Only Condition Washing.:nono:

Last edited:

Nonie

Don't let @Nonie hear you say that :hide:

LOL Bublin You troublemaker, you! :lol:

@Bublin
:lol:You Wrong.
How You Gonna Mention Her Though.:look:

RarityFluttershy, I know right? :lol:

OK, RarityFluttershy, do confess: How do you use it? What do you do to your hair before you apply, what state is your hair in when you apply it and when is it you realize it sucks?

We can skip the formalities of "Father forgive me for I have sinned, and How long has it been since your last confession".... Bublin is my difficult child so if I hear your story, it may just turn out that you and Bublin gotcha father's genes and that's why you're just "special"...otherwise maybe we just need to make a few corrections. Of course I'm also open to relieving you of those bottles that are in your way if you prefer. :eyebrows2 Christmas giving?