things that make me go Hmmm......

diva4life

Hi ladies,
Now that I'm no longer just lurking about, there are a few things I and my sister Penny have been pondering. She asked me today why am I making her wait longer between her relaxers? She never reads our hair board and relies on me and pretty much follows my lead. I told her I think the rationale is to have more new growth to decrease the chance of overlapping when we do a touch-up. Is this your thinking or am I in left field with a nappy head all by myself (I'm laughing at my self on that one). Also, what's with the acv and/or lemon juice on the hair, what's that about, I know I probably read it somewhere, but please indulge me somebody. I don't recall if it was for a ph balancing or something like that and also when is the apple cider vinegar to be applied, after shampoo and before conditioners? Somebody holla back please!

Nubianrose

Wut up diva, you are right in your waiting longer to apply the relaxer, for overlapping purposes...now you had asked about apple cider vinegar and/or lemon juice, their usually applied in a rinse form after the shampoo to seal the cuticle. Its usually 2/3's water to 1/3 apple cider vinegar. You may have to experiment with it tho, because too much of the vinegar can dry the hair out, depending on how yours reacts to it.
Hope that helped
Nubianrose

diva4life

Nubianrose,

Thanks for responding. Girl, I'm glad you did because I tried the lemon juice and had my 2 sons and my husband justa squeezin' and softening my lemons for me and I didn't mix it with water, but I did dilute it with some conditioner. Do you remember seeing some hair recipes to that effect, hmm, maybe on another board. I didn't really get any spectacular effects, ir perhaps I just didn't know WHAT to expect, or maybe because of all this new growth. Anyhoo, thanks for your reply. You know of any good hair recipes?.

Nubianrose

Hey diva, i don't particularly kno of any hair recipes off the top of my head, but you could post a message to Mahalialee and see if she has any for u.
Peace, Nubianrose

Tara

/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hi,

I replied to this post and now I don't see my reply /images/graemlins/mad.gif

But anyway (lol)

In response to your lemon mixed with conditioner receipe, I can help there. That receipe is for women who are on the "Curly Girl, No Shampoo Routine". So the lemon is not meant to do anything but assist with doing a "deep clean" of the scalp. This may be neccesary for some no shampoo people depending on how much "product" they put in their hair.

There is also another receipe with baking soda, but if you use shampoo, you don't need to mix conditioner with lemon or baking soda. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

HTH

diva4life

Thanks for the insight Tara! Is the curly girl an optional relaxed hairstyle, or a particular type of relaxer? I can see the connection for the deep cleaning in conjunction with the no poo method because that was my concern that my hair would not get clean and that a build up of product would make my hair look dull. But I guess the lemon juice cuts through the gunk so to speak. Mahailalee I need more light, can you shed some? What are the hair recipes you've concocted and how did your hair respond?

Tara

Hi and you are welcome! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Curly Girl is the name of the book and it's for women who do not relax or straighten their loose or tightly curled/coiled hair. There is a slight section on texturizing, but the book is directed towards "curly girls" or those that want to maintain their natural hair in it's curly state whether type 3 or 4. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

But the term Curly Girl, is not a chemical.

HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mahalialee4

I posted the recipes on Beverly's previous site. I am not sure if she is going to transfer that material, but you could post her to find out what her plans are in that regard. Hope this helps for now.