Things that make your hair NOT grow???????????????

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Can you think of some things that make your hair not grow or not grow as much as other times of hair growth??? Whether it is medications, how often you wash your hair, foods you eat, getting a relaxer or color-treating, etc.??? Make a list of things you think makes your hair NOT grow so much...

Bobbie

Re: Things that make your hair NOT grow???????????

Eating too much junk food and not enough protein and other nutrients. My hair grew the most when I had a healthy diet.

SVT

For me, it's heat and chemicals. I abuse heat and chemical services thin out my hair.

G

Not getting enough water in your diet will have one's hair dry and brittle which=NO GROWTH.

Dirty Hair = Clogged Pores= NO Growth

Toxins = NO Growth

Patrice

Washing less than once a week especially if u have dry flaky scalp and having a poor diet. Improving on these things helped me alot to acheive the health of my hair today

Poohbear

Poor diet...I don't eat three meals a day and hardly eat much when I do, but I mostly eat meats so that's giving me some protein for hair growth.

Even though my hair still grows, I think relaxing hinders my growth. That's why I have decided to start transitioning to natural.

Ipanema

IMO:
Scalp burns
Dirty, caked scalp
Scabs & sores on scalp
raggedy, fine-toothed combs
Hairstyles that pull at the scalp
Excessive brushing & use of curling iron

LABETT

[ QUOTE ]
pradalover said:

IMO:
Excessive direct heat
Excessive chemicals
Too much junk food / not enough water

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree my hair never grew when I do these.

bellydancer

my hair never got long when I had a relaxer, but I don't blame the relaxer. I just didn't know how to take care of it. When I grew it out my hair got extra thick and long. too much heat will keep your hair from getting long. Basically the same thing that SVT said.

silvergirl

the only thing i see that had really stopped me from retaining growth has to be daily use of direct heat. my hair was the same lenght for years because of it.

EbonyEyes

I think that relaxers actually stunted my growth. I remember one particular time, about eight weeks had passed since my sister and I had a relaxer. My sister had all of this new growth and my mom looked at my hair and felt my roots and said I didn't need a relaxer. For some reason, I thought that not having to get a relaxer was a good thing. But now I realize that I was hardly getting any new growth. I transitioned out of a relaxer for a year and i think I only had 2 inches of natural hair.

Now that my hair is natural, my growth rate has really increased. When I was relaxed it was extremely slow but the only reason that I would gain a few inches every year is because I retained just about all of the growth I got.

-Ebony

Ayeshia

Accutane...well it didnt stunt my cousins hair but it made it extremely dry and brittle..and not to mention she had a relaxer on top of that

lack of sleep

not having a proper diet

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
Accutane...well it didnt stunt my cousins hair but it made it extremely dry and brittle..and not to mention she had a relaxer on top of that

[/ QUOTE ]

I took Accutane last year for acne (Apr. 2003 - Sept.2003) and it made my hair shed for about 2 months. It started shedding during the last month of taking the medicine (Sept. 2003) and stopped sometime in Nov. 2003. I didn't pay attention to my hair growth then because I really wasnt worried about it then.

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I took Accutane last year for acne (Apr. 2003 - Sept.2003) and it made my hair shed for about 2 months. It started shedding during the last month of taking the medicine (Sept. 2003) and stopped sometime in Nov. 2003. I didn't pay attention to my hair growth then because I really wasnt worried about it then.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah my cousin had a lil more shedding than usual too. but her hair was sooooo dry. it looked like it would crumble as soon as you touched it.

her hair is back on track now that she stopped taking it

Devi

Applying products with a heavy hand. I don't know why, but it made my hair break more.

Not keeping your hair clean.

Not drinking enough water or having a good enough diet.

EbonyEyes

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
Ebony,

You only got 2 inches of grow out of a whole year???

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, 2 whole inches. I don't think I'll ever go back to relaxers. For me length retention wasn't the issue with relaxers, it was actual growth.

-Ebony

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
EbonyEyes said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
Ebony,

You only got 2 inches of grow out of a whole year???

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, 2 whole inches. I don't think I'll ever go back to relaxers. For me length retention wasn't the issue with relaxers, it was actual growth.

-Ebony

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that encourages me to not relax anymore and continue with my decision I just made about transitioning to natural. Wish me luck!

Isis

In my case:

too much heat (blowdryers, hotcombs, curling irons)
washing infrequently
not moisturizing regularly
lack of iron in my system

Haleni

Too little moisture!! Belive it or not, I use to us a curling iron almost every day, didn't damage my hair. But, I do keep it moisturized, religiously!

Nonie

Raw egg whites prevent biotin from being absorbed into your blood; so although it's a vitamin easy to come by in foods, if taking supplements of it enhances growth, then eating egg whites at the same time cancels out the effect. Cooked eggs are fine.

Saccharin and antibiotics are not friends of biotin either.

patience

Heat, relaxers, medications and a ton of other chemicals. Like my signature alludes, if it's recommended that I wear gloves to use it, it does NOT belong on my head.

L

LaNecia

Nonie said:
Raw egg whites prevent biotin from being absorbed into your blood; so although it's a vitamin easy to come by in foods, if taking supplements of it enhances growth, then eating egg whites at the same time cancels out the effect. Cooked eggs are fine.

Saccharin and antibiotics are not friends of biotin either.

Just bumping up to refresh my own memory and for those who may use pasteurized liquid egg whites as a protein source!!

Valerie

For me, relaxing, my hair would break after a while.
Not washing my hair on a regular basis
Not rinsing daily. Definitely eating a healthy diet with lots of soya, chicken and vegetables. Also not drinking enough water. My hair would feel dry and brittle and again would break.