Things You Want From An At Home Stylist

irisak

So I've posted about some of my current struggles in OT. I've decided that to supplement my income until I find another job that I want to start doing hair out of my home and possibly doing the mobile braided thing. My years here have taught me a thing or two :heart: and I've been doing hair since I was a teenager. My question to you all is what are some things you look for in a stylist that either works from her home or comes to yours? Any techniques, styles, prices. I did hair out of my home some years back but have since moved to another state so I have no clientele here.

Disclaimer: This is in no way shape or form an attempt to advertise. I just really would appreciate feedback from some of the most exacting women I know who already understand healthy hair care.

TIA

Platinum

Start/maintain Locs (dreads). Use natural products: no beeswax or anything that causes build up (brown gel, Jamaican Mango & Lime Gel, etc).

Tree Braids

Goddess Braids

Perhaps you can try aromatherapy candles and add a few drops of essential oils to your products.

irisak

Start/maintain Locs (dreads). Use natural products: no beeswax or anything that causes build up (brown gel, Jamaican Mango & Lime Gel, etc).

Tree Braids

Goddess Braids

Perhaps you can try aromatherapy candles and add a few drops of essential oils to your products.
Thank you @Platinum. Those are good suggestions.

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
I totally don't mind going to an at home stylist but I had to stop going to my latest one. She was a stay at home mom but never made arrangements for her baby to be taken care of while I was there. I was there 5 hours because of her constant interruptions.

So I would say minimize breaking for other things like kids, family, answering the phone, etc during appointment time.

Another turn off is that many at home stylists don't expect to wash the hair before styling. As a natural that's a turn off for me because washing is half the battle and I don't want to do that if I'm getting my hair done.

Music in background or tv is a plus. Minimize persons passing through the house or guests during appointment time.

Last edited:

s2fast4ya

s2fast4ya
I would say if you can, dedicate a space in your house for only doing hair. Like the basement or a back room. My stylist use to do hair in the dining room, people would be walking back and forth bet the living room and the kitchen. it wasn't comfortable. She did some minor upgrades in her basement, painted, put a big tv up added a couch and a washbowl and it was like night and day. I was like yes! I think her clients needed it more than she did. lol

Oh and lighting, get some bright lighting.

AgeinATL

Make sure that your house is clean. I went to an at home stylist and her house was filthy. It made me so uncomfortable and I was tense trying not to touch anything. A clean environment helps people relax and feel comfortable. It also shows your professionalism.

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
I would say if you can, dedicate a space in your house for only doing hair. Like the basement or a back room.

This is ideal. Even if you don't have the means to spend on re doing a space, maybe confine your work to an office or guest room. That way if others are in the house your client can still have privacy. It's awkward and a little embarrassing to have strangers see you in the middle of getting your hair done.

irisak

Thank you guys for the suggestions# My house is clean, I'm thinking I will also be mobile and come to my clients when requested. My kids are big and understand my hustle so I'm not worried about them being a nuisance. I'll try to work on a dedicated space next.

OhTall1

This is ideal. Even if you don't have the means to spend on re doing a space, maybe confine your work to an office or guest room. That way if others are in the house your client can still have privacy. It's awkward and a little embarrassing to have strangers see you in the middle of getting your hair done.
Totally agree. The last home stylist I used had a lot of family and friends coming through her house during the entire appointment. She was set up in her kitchen, which directly faced her front door. I hated it!

L.Brown1114

Don't overbook
Keep a clean house
Don't have your bad a$$ kids running rampant (I go to ones that don't have them)
And please don't have your man bring his guys over and him and his friends are staring at me with a half done head and a makeup less face. Lookin like who shot John and forgot to kill him. No ma'am, do my hair somewhere we won't be bothered or gawked at. I HATE that. I don't care how good you do my hair I won't go back for that
Oh and sad I have to say but my last two stylists smoked blunts while doing my hair, I'm sure you're much classier than that

LiftedUp

At my home: Braids and the same fee as the salon

At your home: if you don't have a separate section for doing hair and you're working out of your living room for example, a slightly lower fee than the salon and a proper sink.

I've had both and was comfortable with both situations. All the best OP :)

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
The one I had came to my home to do my T/U's she used all my products, which was great.

I want them timely
Pleasant
No Personal Calls during my Appointment
No un-necessary Drama
Open to what I want to achieve
Keep 'most' of your counter-productive 'opinions' to yourself e.g. she thought I washed my hair "too much":look: (twice a week)

The person I had, use to relax and neutralize me and then I would finish the rest.

I paid her for the whole process and would often give her products as well as a tip.

After I suffered a minor set back I decided to 'stretch' for a while and that was 15 months ago.:eek:

Overall, it was a great experience.

But, I'm not sure if I'll need her services again, although I may ask her for a Blow-Dry Finish sometimes.

However, I think she probably works better with Relaxed Hair.

@irisak

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@irisak
I've also gone to several that were previously in Salons but later moved either temporarily (or permanent) into their homes. Both Good & Bad

The Good One:
Had her entire Basement set up like a Salon, Chair, Mirror, Salon Bowl, Products, Dryers etc.....
She kept everything Salon-related in the basement. She was a wife & mother so she did go upstairs from time to time to start dinner, check on the kids homework etc.... but never during a Chemical process or something serious. Decent Experience.

The Bad One:
Doing Hair in her Kitchen, hollering & screaming at the Kids. Changing the Baby's Diaper:look: Having YOU Hold the Baby:eek:
Having you stop by the store on your way and get color, relaxer, food.......
Trying to Cook Dinner. Talking on the Phone.....Total Chaos. You get my drift.:spinning:

LexiDior

I use to go to a lady who would braid my hair and she smoked. I hated going over there because of that. So if you smoke be respectful to your customers who dont. Not everyone wants lung cancer.

Also, gossip is a problem. As grown women we should be beyond this now so not everyone wants to hear about TeeTee'- baby daddy's-cousin's-uncle who's in jail for selling weed.

Subscribe

Don't ask me about my personal life, job, kids, etc. unless " I " have put us on that level. Talk to me about current events, movies, etc. My salon time is time for me to get away from "My" real world, not talk to you about it.

Platinum

Another tip:

Always keep a positive attitude. I can't stand to have a stylist with a bad attitude working on my hair.

Also, be considerate of your clients with super thick or kinky hair. Nobody wants a stylist who rakes through their hair with a thin tooth comb. Not only is it damaging to the hair, it's painful! I actually walked out on a stylist who would not use the Afro comb that I brought.