Thinking Of Getting A Cold Perm - Pros? Cons?

LadyPBC

Hi - help!

I've been natural for 11 years. At first it was fun and I enjoyed being chemical free. I expected a different texture that just simply did not exist except for my nape area. It turned into a challenge with failed styling attempts, improper preparation (hair not dry but I still have to move forward), long hours with weekends devoted to hair care, arranging my schedule around hair care and basically not ever finding what was perfect for me.

I've been wearing a wig daily for the past 2-3 years. I do absolutely nothing to my natural hair. I like my wigs but I'm ready to enjoy a little more freedom and convenience. I'm thinking of getting a Wave Nouveau curl. My hair is probably about 60-70% gray, shoulder blade length but my ends are not in good shape. I had to cut a chunk of hair from the nape area because it was matted (packing on condish as a moisturizer).

Here is my thought process:

PROS:
  • low maintenance (wash or moisturize and go)
  • inexpensive (I'd rather have the Gina Curl but it is cost prohibitive at this time)
  • more styling options with my length (buns)
  • more polished presentation
CONS:
  • it's a chemical
  • once I get it I'm fully committed
  • fewer styling options (blow out)
  • not sure that I want to rock gray hair at this stage in my life so I will need color (2 chemicals?)
  • haircut to mask the chunk of hair that was cut in the nape area
I'm wondering if you could share your thoughts, experiences, suggestions please?! Thanks!

Last edited:

Godsdaughter001

Instead of getting a wave nouveau (didn't even know they still did those!) ...
Assuming you are going to have to go to the salon and get it done anyway, have you considered getting your hair cut and styled (i.e. blow out and straightened) and get it maintained every 6 weeks?

I'm assuming this is how often you would need to get a retouch on the wave nouveau. That way you can only have one chemical treatment - color.

Also, this would be a more polished look that you mentioned. In my humble opinion, the wave nouveau is not a polished look. It's dated.

healthyhair2

I'll chime in because I have had natural hair, a Gina Curl and Wave Nouveau( as well as Wave by Design). If you want the best outcome I would recommend a Gina Curl. You only have to get it done 2-3 times a year. You will save so much money on products and you can use hair color. The Wave Nouveau is my second choice because you can do a blow out every now and then. Your hair has to be deep conditioned regularly...like every week. I alternated moisturizing DC's and protein ones every other week to keep my curls springy.

The way the curls look is purely a function of rod size and technique that the hairdresser uses. Using 3 different rod sizes was the best result I ever obtained. Let me be honest, the Gina Curl maintained my hair density and did not shed at all. I ran into a problem when I let another hairdresser do a retouch with another perm. She over-lapped and my hair was never the same. That is actually it in my avatar.

The Gina Curl kept my hair thick and no sticky sprays were required. There are cream-based products these days that preserve the hair's moisture that work just as well. Your hair density will decrease with the traditional cold waves unless you can find a hairdresser who doesn't straighten the hair completely before rinsing.
Also, cold waves (like Wave Nouveau, Wave by Design, Carefree Curl, Ferm Perm) get redone every 3 months. Any more often and the possibility of shedding is increased. With the advent of Olaplex, you can color and perm. Color should come 2 weeks AFTER perming unless it's Jazzing, Cellophanes or Clairol Beautiful Collection.

Usually, permanent hair color is not recommended by stylists with the cold waves because they don't want to be held responsible for the outcome. Never use a drugstore box color for sure on permed hair. A no ammonia low peroxide hair color is a great choice. You have to find someone who is really experienced with cold waves who will also listen carefully to what you want. If they want to stick all the same size small rods in your hair and you have long hair, that's not good. No one ever knew I had a perm. They'd ask how I got my hair to look curly with no frizz! LOL . They were shocked when I told them.

I think you can go back and see all the mistakes I made with my hair. Some of it is documented here. You can PM me with any questions

LadyPBC

Thank you for sharing your thoughts ladies!!!:love4: I am rethinking my decision. I have an appt on Friday that I think that I am going to have to cancel/postpone.
  • @MilkChocolateOne - I've noticed limp and stringy in some videos and NO just NO!
  • @Godsdaughter001 - my hair will not hold up to just a blow dry, it reverts very easily. That option won't work for me.
  • @healthyhair2 - I would love to have a Gina Curl but the time, distance, logistical nightmare and especially the cost makes it unappealing. I will be PM-ing you because we need to talk.
I just read something about the Avlon Texture Release that sounds as if it may be what I am looking for.

Last edited:

LadyRaider

Hmm. What are the advantages for me to get a gina perm, I wonder?
I already have curly hair that looks like that. So... I wonder if there's something in it for me? I want better growth/retention. That's what I WANT.
@healthyhair2 are there benefits beyond the curl pattern? Maybe less shrinkage?

Last edited:

healthyhair2

Thank you for sharing your thoughts ladies!!!:love4: I am rethinking my decision. I have an appt on Friday that I think that I am going to have to cancel/postpone.
  • @MilkChocolateOne - I've noticed limp and stringy in some videos and NO just NO!
  • @Godsdaughter001 - my hair will not hold up to just a blow dry, it reverts very easily. That option won't work for me.
  • @healthyhair2 - I would love to have a Gina Curl but the time, distance, logistical nightmare and especially the cost makes it unappealing. I will be PM-ing you because we need to talk.
I just read something about the Avlon Texture Release that sounds as if it may be what I am looking for.

Totally understand your predicament. I may be mistaken, but isn't Avlon Texture Release an amino acid treatment? Good luck whatever you decide.

healthyhair2

Hmm. What are the advantages for me to get a gina perm, I wonder?
I already have curly hair that looks like that. So... I wonder if there's something in it for me? I want better growth/retention. That's what I WANT.
@healthyhair2 are there benefits beyond the curl pattern? Maybe less shrinkage?

Honestly, if you have that type of curl pattern already I would be looking for the best styler to use for definition and less shrinkage. I would not perm. Even an amino acid or keratin treatment may be a better option. Just do your research.