Thinning update - BEFORE/AFTER PICS!

jewel

Wonderful!!!! I am glad you found a solution :happydance: Such an inspiration of hope for the ladies dealing with hair loss

EMJazzy

Happily retired
Hi all -

The last time I updated about my hairloss saga, things were NOT going well. I was shedding like mad despite allll my efforts to stop the hair loss, so I decided not to post about it again unless there were some major developments.

Well, there have been developments. Just a few weeks after that last post, I started to notice fewer shed hairs. Then I thought my eyes must be deceiving me when I pulled my hair back and there was actually hair on my temples again! The top of my head was also feeling thicker. I started to focus on things other than my hair again. I've started wearing my hair pulled back with confidence again. I'm kinda amazed that ANYTHING worked.

I wish I could tell ya'll that it was Jesus oil and Mother Earth potion that got my hair to come back in cause I know we like to be as holistic about our hair as possible, but aside from prayer and a 5mg Solgar biotin supplement, my regrowth is credited to 4 months so far of a once-daily application of men's Rogaine foam 5% and 50mgs of oral spironolactone twice daily. I'd read there was a "dread shed" period on Rogaine, and yes--I was going through that when I posted last, and it truly was dreadful. But it slowed, and new hair has come in. I even have hair growing lower on my forehead by my temples than my natural hairline ever did--that's probably from the Rogaine migrating a bit. Kinda cool!

My results aren't miraculous; my edges are still thinner than before--but they are filling in. Considering they thinned because of heredity and not styling choices, I'm thrilled with my recovery so far. I don't know what the future holds or how long I will enjoy having some of the lost hair back again. I know I'm just SO grateful to have been released from the aching misery and shame of having to hide my thinning every day with unflattering hairstyles. It's great to be free from thinking of it all the time.

I ran out of my biotin a few weeks ago and noticed the top of my head, where the scarring alopecia was diagnosed, is feeling thinner again. I've just started taking it again; I think the Rogaine, spiro and biotin have worked best for me when used together. My results are below:

Before - early summer '07:

After - mid-December 07:

:wow: WTGrow Blu!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shocked: :yay: :flowers: :clapping: :woot::yep::up:

Blu217

WHOA--seven pages of hair love!! :grin: Thank all you lovely ladies for your support and advice and PMs and for following my saga and helping me keep my head and spirits up during this process.

To answer some questions, for me the Rogaine/spiro hair has grown in as my normal texture and the strands appear to be the same thickness as before. I think that at first you get vellus hairs, which can be clear and thin. Then the color and thickness come back as your follicles rev up again.

And yes, I'll have to use Rogaine for all eternity to maintain my results. It sounds like a ball and chain, but it's actually just another hair routine like all the rest we commit ourselves to. I mix my foam in the container's top until it's liquid, then I use a dropper to quickly distribute it onto my scalp. I rub it in, moisturize and prep my hair for bed as usual. I think I'd have better results if I did this twice a day, since Rogaine says it should be used twice daily but the results I posted are using it just once at night, when it's most convenient. I may start using it in the am as well to see if I notice a boost in regrowth.

I used to be a rollersetting queen, but I stopped doing my hair when I started losing it. The other day I saw the Pibbs discounted dryer post and realized that yeah--it's time to get my swagger, and my curls, back on! I'm just past APL again; I'd cut it from BSL to shoulder length in June because of breakage. So I'm focusing on enjoying my hair now, having fun with it again. I've really missed my hair.

Thanks again, ladies--I don't think I could have gotten through this so smoothly without all the advice and support here!:yep:

jaiku

Girl I'm so happy you found something thats working. I have been following your story since the beginning and last time you had me crying. Your hair looks so thick and healthy. Congrats.

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
I am so happy I could cry. Before I do CONGRATULATIONS :thumbsup::dance7::congrats:

You have no idea how many times I scrolled up and down to compare before and after. I am so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!