Thinning update: The natural stuff!

Blu217

Hi all -

It's been a while since I posted an update on my scarring alopecia/hereditary temple thinning saga.

Wish I could report it's gotten better. The scarring alopecia has been stable for a few months--no more handfuls of hair. But the spots have thinned even more than last time, but more slowly now. My scalp hurts alllll the time now, despite the 'roids and the emu oil I use in between to lessen inflammation. I saw another derm, who prescribed Olux foam (a steroid topical) for the scarring and spironolactone (blocks antigens) for the heriditary loss at my temples. A huge swath that was my temples is gone, ya'll, and my hairline in general is starting to move back. This just happens to most women on my mom's side of the family. I just wish it wasn't so accelerated already; I'm just 35. I got the double whammy of hair issues. It can be hard to deal but I'm managing... and thinking about that NewHair Dee center part wig! At least I still can part my hair in the middle :yep:.

But it's not all bad. Those who know say they can't tell anything's wrong and don't seem to believe me--until I pull this back and part that to show them. I feel better knowing it's not obvious; you feel like everyone can see you're losing your hair (I am wearing more wide headbands and resorting to baseball caps for security now, tho). Since I've commited to no more relaxing, I've just been growing it out and am discovering the neatest things about my natural texture! Because it's thinner in the top it's easier to manage; the back is still thick, but a little Lacio, Salerm or Silicon Mix detangles and makes it easy to comb root to tip while wet. I admit I have a box of emergency Profective Normal under the sink...

...but I've become so fascinated by my natural texture I'm just not that interested in messing it up! For all the transitioners, let me attest to the fact that you do need several months' worth of new growth before you know what your real hair texture is like. I have discovered mine is full of tiny spirals, teeny waves and bitty ringlets, and I've started to really like the way it looks. I do miss relaxers but don't want to deal with how thin my hair would be if I used one now--plus why destroy all those tiny little ringlets it took so long to find? It takes commitment to get those bad boys to reveal their true selves.

My appointment with my regular doc is finally almost here and I intend to get a full blood workup (he does love running him some tests!). I really have done all that can be done and don't believe scarring alopecia is necessarily caused by "improper hair care practices"--because I certainly never used any and followed the rule books to the T for all these years before this happened. So it can seem super unfair, but that's life. I think that it's not always about trauma; it's also genetic predisposition and/or a spontaneous immune response of some sort. I've also heard it's just a fancy label for plain ole' female pattern baldness.

I never thought I'd enjoy discovering my natural texture--prolly cause I figured I already knew what was up. Happy surprise to find I was wrong and actually like it. It's cute!

Last edited:

Nonie

(((Blu))), your positive attitude is so inspiring! I pray for your continued strength, and that each step you take brings you closer to finding the answer to solve this problem.

I'm happy that you're getting acquainted with your ringlets and liking them. They'll also serve to fill out (cover) the sparse areas better than straight hair would.

Thank you for the regular updates. You are helping more people than you'll ever know.

Hugs,

SleepyJean

Hi all -

It's been a while since I posted an update on my scarring alopecia/hereditary temple thinning saga.

Wish I could report it's gotten better. The scarring alopecia has been stable for a few months--no more handfuls of hair. But the spots have thinned even more than last time, but more slowly now. My scalp hurts alllll the time now, despite the 'roids and the emu oil I use in between to lessen inflammation. I saw another derm, who prescribed Olux foam (a steroid topical) for the scarring and spironolactone (blocks antigens) for the heridtary loss at my temples. A huge swath that was my temples are gone, ya'll, and my hairline in general is starting to move back. This just happens to most women on my mom's side of the family. I just wish it wasn't so accelerated already; I'm just 35. I got the double whammy of hair issues. It can be hard to deal but I'm managing... and thinking about that NewHair Dee center part wig! At least I still can part my hair in the middle :yep:.

But it's not all bad. Those who know say they can't tell anything's wrong and don't seem to believe me--until I pull this back and part that to show them. I feel better knowing it's not obvious; you feel like everyone can see you're losing your hair (I am wearing more wide headbands and resorting to baseball caps for security now, tho). Since I've commited to no more relaxing, I've just been growing it out and am discovering the neatest things about my natural texture! Because it's thinner in the top it's easier to manage; the back is still thick, but a little Lacio, Salerm or Silicon Mix detangles and makes it easy to comb root to tip while wet. I admit I have a box of emergency Profective Normal under the sink...

...but I've become so fascinated by my natural texture I'm just not that interested in messing it up! For all the transitioners, let me attest to the fact that you do need several months' of new growth before you know what your real hair texture is like. I have discovered mine is full of tiny spirals, teeny waves and bitty ringlets, and I've started to really like the way it looks. I do miss relaxers but don't want to deal with how thin my hair would be if I used one now--plus why destroy all those tiny little ringlets it took so long to find? It takes commitment to get those bad boys to reveal their true selves.

My appointment with my regular doc is finally almost here and I intend to get a full blood workup (he does love running him some tests!). I really have done all that can be done and don't believe scarring alopecia is necessarily caused by "improper hair care practices"--because I certainly never used any and followed the rule books to the T for all these years before this happened. So it can seem super unfair, but that's life. I think that it's not always about trauma; it's also genetic predisposition and/or a spontaneous immune response of some sort. I've also heard it's just a fancy label for plain ole' female pattern baldness.

I never thought I'd enjoy discovering my natural texture--prolly cause I figured I already knew what was up. Happy surprise to find I was wrong and actually like it. It's cute!

I can relate in your slow growing experience. I have bald spot from a relaxer burn that just begin growing noticebly after five months of no relaxer and a lot of babying. I wear head bands to cover mine, too, so no one can ever tell. Don't worry I know it will grow for you, too. I've been doing scalp massages, which seems to have definitely sped up the process. I've heard great reviews on BT, too. I heard you said your using emu oil, but I heard if you mixed it with sulfur powder along scalp massages your hair will grow like crazy. The lady who experienced it was also suffering from a thinning hairline.

Minx

Keep up the good work,Blu!
And stay encouraged.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things.

Good for you, for being so determined to win this battle and fighting this thing head on!

blessings,
dk

Aveena

I'm so inspired by you as I have similar problems - I look forward to your updates and progress and just admire your strength and determination when dealing with this problem. It keeps me strong at some real low times. Believe it or not I remember some of your posts when I'm feeling low about my own hair.

stay encouraged. :yep:

pattycake0701

Aww Blu...I'm so glad you gave us an update! Sounds like you're healing. Are you taking anything orally? I was taking grapefruit seed extract and my symptoms went away. That stuff is NAAASTY:nono:. And I'm living proof that those thin spots can grow back. Good luck with everything.

SelfStyled

Hi all -

Wish I could report it's gotten better. The scarring alopecia has been stable for a few months--no more handfuls of hair. But the spots have thinned even more than last time, but more slowly now. My scalp hurts alllll the time now, despite the 'roids and the emu oil I use in between to lessen inflammation. I saw another derm, who prescribed Olux foam (a steroid topical) for the scarring and spironolactone (blocks antigens) for the heriditary loss at my temples. A huge swath that was my temples is gone, ya'll, and my hairline in general is starting to move back. This just happens to most women on my mom's side of the family. I just wish it wasn't so accelerated already; I'm just 35. I got the double whammy of hair issues. It can be hard to deal but I'm managing... and thinking about that NewHair Dee center part wig! At least I still can part my hair in the middle :yep:.

...but I've become so fascinated by my natural texture I'm just not that interested in messing it up! For all the transitioners, let me attest to the fact that you do need several months' of new growth before you know what your real hair texture is like. I have discovered mine is full of tiny spirals, teeny waves and bitty ringlets, and I've started to really like the way it looks. I do miss relaxers but don't want to deal with how thin my hair would be if I used one now--plus why destroy all those tiny little ringlets it took so long to find? It takes commitment to get those bad boys to reveal their true selves.

Blu just want to say that your positivity is contagious. I am new here so sorry to hear what you've had to go through. I can tell you that I can empathize with you I have been diagnosed with female pattern hair loss, and it can be soooo frustrating at times to stay positive. I am taking things into my own hands and really trying to stop the loss. My major problem is the front hair line is trying to go back, but I have been using the BT and wgo everday faithfully. I'm also in my 30's and like what am I supposed to do with this. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone
(((((((Hugs)))))).

Twisties

Thanks for sharing your update. It can be upsetting when our bodies develop issues we don't have much control over. You have a very good attitude as others have said, so you'll be fine. Hugs.

Iluvsmuhgrass

Hey Blu *hugs*

I was wondering where you were! Thanks for keeping us updated. Sounds like you're on a positive road. Your vantage point is a blessing for others going through the same thing. :) Much love.

Blu217

Hey ladies!

Thanks so much for the continued support; it really really does make everything easier. And it warms me more than I can say to know these updates and experiences are helping others going through the same thing. We are not alone, ladies!

Glad ya'll think I'm positive :grin:. I do plenty of crying and getting upset and all that, but at the end of the day my situation remains the same, so it helps to look forward and make plans and preparations when the blues are over. I get it out from time to time and mourn sometimes. Other times I rally and keep hope alive. And I'm grateful that despite what is to me considerable and critical hair loss, I can still almost completely hide it--at the very least no one is noticing (people do stare up at my hair while I'm talking to them sometimes, but I suspect that has a lot to do with my wild, transitioning roots constantly rebelling in the summer humidity--relaxers do make it easier to look sleek and tidy, for sure). I miss the relaxers but can't stop fingering those tiny barrel curls that are all over everywhere.

I do think the one good thing that's come of dealing with these conditions is that it's forced me to discover how cool my natural hair is--it's nothing like I the ill-defined fuzz I'd expected. That's what most black females with tightly textured hair they relax early on seem taught to expect, generally speaking. Who knew there were so many variants on that theme?

And ya know, were it not for hair loss I'd have never discovered this board. I have learned SO MUCH about black hair I'd have never learned had I not started coming here. Sucks sweaty eggs that it took losing my hair to find it, but sometimes that's just how life lessons work.

The other day while putting in the Olux I'd swear I saw little tufts close to the scalp--they didn't look like broken hair and they were in the thinned areas. Could it be new growth or just the final sputterings of those dying hair follicles? I like to think all these efforts are working and a few viable spots are coming back. In time I'll know if I'm right.

To answer a question about whether I'm taking an oral med: I'm taking the spironolactone (spiro) orally. I don't expect to see results, if any, until at least Christmas.

I will say that lately I've been getting hit on more than ever when I'm just out and about, not trying to look cute! Usually lately I don't feel that attractive anymore cause of the hair stuff, but I swear I'm getting hit on everywhere all of a sudden--the more HAM I think I'm looking, the more men seem to swarm--black AND white! Who knew...

So I guess if I'm positive, it's cause the positives are undeniable even in the face of all the grief. I don't know how bad this is gonna get or what I'm ultimately going to be faced with in the next few years, and I am scared, absolutely. But I've gained so much from this experience too. Knowledge is power and I know more now than I ever did before. And despite the rest, I do love that!

Last edited: