Thinning update

Blu217

It's been a while since I posted an update on my thinning situation since the scarring alopecia diagnosis last year. I'll start with the good news: A really smooth bald spot I developed after getting the cortisone shots is starting to show fuzz. Yay.

Now for the bad news: For the last two days my scalp has been on FIRE right in the spots where the hair has thinned. It feels kinda like a horrible chemical burn, or maybe like I bumped my head REALLY hard, or someone smacked my head with something heavy. It started suddenly yesterday; it's sore to the touch and throbs all day long like a bruise--but it's isolated to just the areas that had already thinned. I also feel a few small zit-like bumps in a couple of those places, and occasionally the sore places also itch. I am expecting the rest of it to just fall out, since from what I've read a tender, painful scalp precedes hair loss. I'm trying to brace for that, as I really can't afford to lose anymore before I can no longer cover the areas. Tomorrow is wash day, and I'm hoping my Nioxin shampoo and con will minimize any shedding I'm about to experience.

I have absolutely no ideas why this has happened, but it came out of the blue. There has been no trauma and my routine has not changed. I'll post again in a couple of weeks once I know more. If this sounds familiar to anyone, please let me know what happened.

Last edited:

Radianthealth

Thanks for the update, I am glad you are getting results from the cortizone shots. Hopefully the negative stuff will pass quickly:)

Iluvsmuhgrass

Girl I feel your pain. My temples are doing something similiar. My right one is way worse than the left. If I can I'll post pics later...

My scalp is sore to the touch in those two areas alone. The hair shedded out and now that I'm using BT I have some fuzz coming in. No where else, just those two spots.... and at times, yes it does feel like a light chemical burn. I'm planning on getting a physical soon and I will be having them check my hormone levels.

Hang in there, I hope all goes well.

Nonie

(((Blu))), I'm going out on a limb here and putting myself out at the same time. As someone who suffered from yeast infections continually, and used hydrocortisone creams like they're going out of style, I do know that they do not cure. All they do is treat for the moment, and the next time the condition returns, you just find you need more of the med to treat the ailment. You become more and more dependent on the treatment.

What you're describing sounds like the sort of reaction you'd get from a fungal infection - or candida albicans overgrowth - a theory many doctors would smack me for even suggesting. But hear me out: When I started losing my hair, I suspected candida since I had dealt with it before. An online search led me to a site by a doctor in Arizona where he said candida does affect the scalp and cause hairloss towards the back of the head behind the ears. Since I couldn't find anyone else to support that, I called his office and left a message with the nurse. The doctor called me back and after I explained my symptoms, he was pretty sure that was what I was suffering from. While awaiting his call, I had started an online search for candida and hairloss and natural remedies. Had to be natural because by the time I lost my hair, I was a total convert to the thinking that steroid creams do no good but just mess up one's immunity (The YI's that plagued me for years were no longer an issue in my life ever since I gave up creams and turned to naturopathy). So I had to find a "cure" that wasn't a cream. My search revealed a forum (couldn't tell you which one since I was just randomly looking for info) that was just up my alley. Folks on the forum would mix coconut oil with acidophilus powder from an open capsule and apply. The doctor thought that sounded like a good remedy when I mentioned my findings. I tried it and the itching was soothed right away. I also knew oil of oregano is a great anti-fungal treatment so did an online search on dosage for skin rashes and used that too. These helped so much. I didn't stop there because I didn't just need relief from the itching bald spots, I needed to grow my hair back. But as someone who believes food is the cause or healer of just about every ailment, I had food sensitivities test done, particularly because the itching seemed to occur more after a meal; only I didn't know which food was causing it. Changing my diet following the test results, stopped the itching. My non-ending research had led me to the concoction I shared before that grew my hair back. One other thing I knew is my scalp itches because sth isn't right. Were my hair follicles dying? If so, why? Didn't they have enough nourishment? If not why? Am I not eating right? If I am then what's the problem? Could it be that my food isn't being absorbed properly? Is that because I'm full of "toxins" - which may be different for everyone? Am I eating junk that is taking the place of nutrients that could feed my follicles (like sugar, salt)? If I detoxed, wouldn't my body work better w/o being overwhelmed by "toxins"? (This is where finding out what foods didn't agree with me helped me stop "poisoning" my body so that it would work properly) Am I breathing deep so my blood is getting enough oxygen to supply all my cells? And suppose my blood is getting all the nutrients and oxygen necessary, are they making it to my head and to the follicle cells? That's where exercise and massage came in. Every time I applied oils to my bald spots, massage was a HUGE deal. Bald pple have scalps that don't move. I had to keep mine "alive". So the massage had to be deep and I made sure I didn't just slide my fingers over the skin but really made it move.

I know I've thrown a lot at you, and I'm not a doctor so you do your own research. But I am just sharing with you what I do know from my own experience. The reason Monistat became a hit for growing hair I think is because someone having issues I'd had used it and it worked to grow their hair back. But if anything should trigger the condition that brought up the hairloss in the first place, it returns w/ a vengeance and you always find you need more of the cream or whatever steroid to treat it.

I'm gonna stop there now. But do some research on candida albicans and hairloss and coconut oil as an antimicrobe treatment. And maybe give it a shot; even just to see if you get relief. I was blessed to have a doctor who was open to naturopathy so I had his blessing. I hope you do find a cure.

Hugs,

Last edited:

Miss*Tress

I read a story similar to Nonie's on the Long Hair Community forum. A woman showing symptoms similar to yours, i.e. soreness, slightly swollen, turned out to have a fungal infection of her scalp that several dermatologists had overlooked.

Take care and hope everything works out OK for you.

P

patient1

Excellent information Nonie!! Excellent.

Blu, I pray what she shared resonates with you. Thank you for updating because your recovery is a part of my regular thought.

Iluvsmygrass, you know I'm praying for you as well.

All the best :)

p1

Candiss

I also have alopecia and I've been using ORS temple balm and it seems like I am regrowing some hair that was lost in the crown. I have some tee tree oil that is an antiseptic. One day, when my crown was sore from, I decided to massage some into my crown. I did this twice a day and the soreness went away. I think the tea trea oil works for me. Obviously, yu are having some type of inflammation be it from fungus, foliculitis, something. I think you should try the tea tree oil and see if it works until you can get to the dermatologist and suggest if it could be fungal. Your symptoms sound so similiar to what I would experience. I would get the small bumsp sometimes and my scalp would be painful to the touch. You know, I don't just use the tea tree oil. I have changed my whole diet around. Less meat, more produce, less products on my scalp, more massages. I hope this helps.

Although I am dealing with my own issues of hair loss (mainly through the crown), I discovered an online site www.earthclinic.com
It is a wealthy source of natural info from lavender oil to iodine depleation in our diets. If you are into natural solutions, you may find an answer to your hair issues there.
Raven

Tamrin

unapologetic
Blu it will work out, my best friend whose hair Im helping her with had the same case two years ago. It all grew back. Its now thicker. Keep taking the cortizone shots and massage the area daily. My friend reported the same things you are now experiencing

Blu217

Hey everyone -

Thanks to you all for your thoughts and suggestions; I'm reading everything with interest. Noni and Candiss, I've been thinking about your suggestions about yeast/fungal infections.

Yesterday while rollersetting post-Nioxin treatment I realized what I have is a head of small, VERY painful bumps all over. I'd seen them along my hairline and since it's my time of the month, I thought they were just a few zits up there--none on my face, tho. But when I was parting my hair very gingerly because it's so painful, I realized I was passing over small lumps in every spot that hurts the most. I've read these could be staph infection boils (ugh) or some other sort of folliculitis. I've recently started working out pretty intensely and sweat in my head a lot, and that can clog pores and cause these lumps too. I'm really not sure how to combat that, because I don't think manipulating wet, washed hair everyday will do me ANY favors.

I'm going to apply tea tree oil and see if that helps clear them up; they continue to just throb, touched or not. I haven't had any cortisone shots since my first round back in September; I ended up with a bald patch and deep indentations from where they were improperly injected under the skin and ate away the tissue; they finally mostly filled in, after a lot of tears and upset. I'm reluctant to do them again, but I have been using a topical cortisone spray once a month that the doc gave me.

I am finding more bald areas, tiny circular patches crop up here and there now and then. My hair in the top toward the front continues to thin and it's so discouraging, because most folks on this board are just trying to grow healthy hair longer or learn the proper techniques stop breakage. I already HAVE long, healthy hair... I'm just losing it and there's no known cure for that.

OK, enough pouting. It is what it is, and I know I'm doing all I can. However, I AM hoping that like some of you have told me, it can and will eventually come back in. I'm looking into iron deficiency and will check out Ravensunshine's earthclinic link too; I have a lot of pure essential oils lying around that might be useful. Thanks again.

Last edited:

DMCSHERIFF

HI BLU, LAST YEAR I GOT ALOPECIA TOO. I WENT TO THE DERMATOLOGIST AND HE GAVE ME THE CORTISONE SHOTS FOR TWO BALD PATCHES I HAD. THEY FILLED IN AFTER 4 MONTHS. THEN ANOTHER PATCH CAME AND I STARTED READING THIS FORUM AND I DISCOVERED BOUNDLESS TRESSES. I USE TO GET THE SORE BUMPS AND SCABS ON MY HEAD THAT WOULD HURT TO TOUCH. WHEN I DID THERE WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN OF SCALES ON MY HEAD. THAT WAS THE SIGNAL THAT MORE HAIR IS COMING OFF MY HEAD.
AFTER THE FIRST TIME I USED THE SCENTED BT THE BUMPS AND SORES WENT AWAY WITH THE SCALING. MY PATCH IS FILLING IN SO QUICKLY THAT IT IS ALMOST GONE. I USE IT EVERY NIGHT AND SLEEP WITH A SHOWER CAP IF I REALLY WANT A LOT OF MOISTURE WITH IT OR SOMETIMES JUST WITH A SATIN CAP. IT HAS BEEN 3 WEEKS NOW AND MY HAIR HAS GROWN AN INCH ALREADY AND IT IS MUCH THICKER.
I AM SO GLAD I FOUND SOMETHING THAT WORKS BECAUSE I TRIED THE TEA TREE OIL AND NIOXIN AND THE MSM AND NOTHING REALLY HELPED IT.
NOW I AM READY FOR THE NEXT SET OF SORE BUMPS IF IT COMES BECAUSE I KNOW WHAT TO USE BEFORE THE HAIR STARTS TO FALL.
LET ME KNOW IF YOU TRY IT. I HAVE 4A HAIR TOO THAT IS PAST SHOULDER LENGTH AND I AIM TO KEEP IT NOW THAT I KNOW WHAT TO DO

hot_pepper96

Blu217 said:
Hey everyone -

Thanks to you all for your thoughts and suggestions; I'm reading everything with interest. Noni and Candiss, I've been thinking about your suggestions about yeast/fungal infections.

Yesterday while rollersetting post-Nioxin treatment I realized what I have is a head of small, VERY painful bumps all over. I'd seen them along my hairline and since it's my time of the month, I thought they were just a few zits up there--none on my face, tho. But when I was parting my hair very gingerly because it's so painful, I realized I was passing over small lumps in every spot that hurts the most. I've read these could be staph infection boils (ugh) or some other sort of folliculitis. I've recently started working out pretty intensely and sweat in my head a lot, and that can clog pores and cause these lumps too. I'm really not sure how to combat that, because I don't think manipulating wet, washed hair everyday will do me ANY favors.

I'm going to apply tea tree oil and see if that helps clear them up; they continue to just throb, touched or not. I haven't had any cortisone shots since my first round back in September; I ended up with a bald patch and deep indentations from where they were improperly injected under the skin and ate away the tissue; they finally mostly filled in, after a lot of tears and upset. I'm reluctant to do them again, but I have been using a topical cortisone spray once a month that the doc gave me.

I am finding more bald areas, tiny circular patches crop up here and there now and then. My hair in the top toward the front continues to thin and it's so discouraging, because most folks on this board are just trying to grow healthy hair longer or learn the proper techniques stop breakage. I already HAVE long, healthy hair... I'm just losing it and there's no known cure for that.

OK, enough pouting. It is what it is, and I know I'm doing all I can. However, I AM hoping that like some of you have told me, it can and will eventually come back in. I'm looking into iron deficiency and will check out Ravensunshine's earthclinic link too; I have a lot of pure essential oils lying around that might be useful. Thanks again.

I understand how you feel. My hair is almost past brastrap but it is thinning in the crown area, nape, and my edges. I just saw a Rheumatologist this week and he's going to give me the results of some blood work I provided. He seems to think I could have some sort of auto-immune disease (Alopecia is considered to fall into this category). I'm not at the point where there are actual bald spots, but I do feel the frustration of what's the point of my hair being so long, if it's starting to thin out and fall out. Anyway, I hope it get better for you! I think you're handling this really well.

preciousjewel76

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you ladies suffering from these problems. I honestly hope that you are able to heal your scalps and are blessed with healthy heads of hair.:) Please keep us posted, the natural remedies sound fascinating!

imstush

{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}} Blu! My thoughts and prayers are with you and the other ladies going through the same or similar issues.

I showed a picture of my bald spot from a relaxer two years ago. Nothing is working to fill in that spot, not MTG, not BT, not Monistat...so I can understand your frustration. All the best.

mspm

My heart goes out to you because I've been there. All of my hair fell out about 6 years ago, and after suffering from scalp problems since birth, I've learned a couple of things the hard way. Firstly, you can have a fungal infection AND an immune disorder. My dermatologist told me that I have seborrheic dermatitis (caused by fungus). I've since found out that it was lupus that was causing the fungal infection. After trying everything but injections, I am now cured! You may want to try cutting back on sugar and start taking digestive enzymes and probiotics (the immune response starts in the stomach). Finally, my saving grace has been MTG! I tried it because of the raves about growth, but I found that the sulphur eliminates the fungal infection, and I no longer have to use the stuff prescribed by the dermatologist (just my homemade MTG). I love this board!!!

God bless and HTH.

Nonie

mspm said:
My heart goes out to you because I've been there. All of my hair fell out about 6 years ago, and after suffering from scalp problems since birth, I've learned a couple of things the hard way. Firstly, you can have a fungal infection AND an immune disorder. My dermatologist told me that I have seborrheic dermatitis (caused by fungus). I've since found out that it was lupus that was causing the fungal infection. After trying everything but injections, I am now cured! You may want to try cutting back on sugar and start taking digestive enzymes and probiotics (the immune response starts in the stomach). Finally, my saving grace has been MTG! I tried it because of the raves about growth, but I found that the sulphur eliminates the fungal infection, and I no longer have to use the stuff prescribed by the dermatologist (just my homemade MTG). I love this board!!!

God bless and HTH.
You just took the words out of my mouth. There's a book called "Candida Related Complex - What Your Doctor Might Be Missing" that I think everyone that can read ought to read.

As for the person that found BT helped. I know coconut is an anti-fungal treatment. In fact, Capricin, an antifungal supplement used to help with yeast infections is made from caprylic acid found in coconuts. So that might be one reason. I didn't know sulphur is anti-fungal coz that would further explain why BT worked. Tea tree oil is also a great anti-fungal and has even been used for yeast infection treatment. (A single drop on a tampon that is wet - so that the TT oil gets diluted - and inserted at bed time. It burns like crazy but it kills the fungus. A better YI treatment would be a drop or two of liquid garlic (Kyolic) on a tampon inserted during the day or at night. Doesn't burn but gives immediate relief and will clear the infection completely. It stinks to high heaven though when you take it out so make sure no one's around (like in the next stall :lol:). But I'm going off track here.)

In addition to diet change, supplements! The Vitamin Shoppe sells supplements for fighting candida with names like Yeast Fighters...which are a combination of several natural supps. Make sure there's caprylic acid, garlic, acidophilus in whichever one you get. But if you're still iffy about whether it's candida, then how about playing it "safe"? There are four supps I think are essential for boosting one's immunity:

- a potent immunity boosting multivitamin/mineral (I highly recommend Twinlab Allergy Multicaps)
- a garlic supplement (I recommend Garlinase 4000; very potent and hardly any odor)
- a probiotic like acidophilus (I love PB 8)
- a source of EFA (Evening Primrose Oil, Flaxseed, Fish Oil)

If you want you can add caprylic acid (capricin is a better form; more easily absorbed) as this is a candida killer and will work well with the immunity boosters I just mentioned (As you kill it off, you build defense against it). Acidophilus helps replace the good bacteria in your digestive tract which keeps candida in check. Candida hates garlic but you also benefit in that it's great for your cardiovascular system (can help with high blood pressure and prevent heart disease), prevents cancer...just an all round good thang. Then we all know vitamins and essential fatty acids are good for us.

Blu, I'll keep you in my thoughts, and hope you will be able to get relief from natural remedies. Just remember, they are slower to work than chemicals, but the plus side is they are final. You will be cured, and not just treat symptoms. Think holistic...Not just the scalp, but what can you do to ensure your entire body is at its best. Remember, your hair and nails only get nourished when your organs and other "more important" cells have been nourished. So make sure you're getting enough of the right food in your system so that there's some to spare to nourish your scalp and hair. As Isis would say, "I will allow only that which is good into my life". So eat wholesome, organic food and avoid junk food, and you'll be on your way to recovery.

Hugs,