Those who normally don't use direct heat..........

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
Those who normally don\'t use direct heat..........

If you get braids, do you blow dry your hair before you get the braids put in? I am transitioning and my hair is starting to get a little rough...lol. I normally airdry and the last time I had briads (tree braids) I blow dried it before I got them done...Do yall do that or do you still airdry? Or do you sit iunder the dryer?

Nonie

Re: Those who normally don\'t use direct heat..........

I don't blow dry my hair before braiding it. I have no problem doing natural 4A/B hair in its natural state. There are some stylists though, I hear, who won't braid your hair unless it's somewhat straight. I think that's just due to inexperience with natural hair. If you're adding extensions, then I find hair holds better when curly than when it is straight. Don't forget that when you wash the hair in braids, it will revert so that's another reason I think it's better to start off with your hair in the state it is in after a wash so you don't get any surprises when you wash it after the do.

MrsQueeny

If I get micros then I blowdry and straighten but if it's just cornrows, then no. Straightening it helps it to lay flatter so my braider can blend it well without braiding too tight. HTH Q

Last edited:

Nonie

[ QUOTE ]
queeny20 said:
If I get micros then I blowdry and straighten but if it's just cornrows, then no. Straightening it helps it to lay flatter so my braider can blend it well without braiding too tight. HTH Queneesha

[/ QUOTE ]

Queeny, doesn't your hair then get untidy when you wash the braids and your hair reverts...since you started off with straight hair and it's bound to shrink when you wash?

That's another reason I prefer to have my hair blended in with the extensions while in its natural curly state so that I can wash without worrying about shrinkage causing a change in how the braids look. If I can find a picture showing a close-up of how my micros look when done on natural hair, I'll post it so you can see that it's possible to blend it with extension hair even when the texture of the hair piece isn't the same as your own hair...and all that without putting strain on your scalp.

BLESSED1

I recently put small braid extensions in my hair and I blow dried my 4 months of new growthe before doing it; it was easier for me to part my thick hair straight then curly.

Shatani

Re: Those who normally don\'t use direct heat......

[ QUOTE ]
PittGirl06 said:
If you get braids, do you blow dry your hair before you get the braids put in? I am transitioning and my hair is starting to get a little rough...lol. I normally airdry and the last time I had briads (tree braids) I blow dried it before I got them done...Do yall do that or do you still airdry? Or do you sit iunder the dryer?

[/ QUOTE ]i dont blowdry, but i do tend to stretch it out....i wash, condition, add leave in and braid it wet...it dries overnight and is relatively straight (as compared to a fro)....ive never had a braider complain, so i have to assume thats goo enough...you could also try banding...
~T~

PittGirl06

What is banding?

Also, if you wash your hair before you get braids, do you add oil and other products to it prior to getting the braids put in? Or do you just have it completely dry (from prducts)

Shatani

i like to put SOME moisturizer in my hair before i get it braided...if its all dry and brittle, the stress from braiding will just make it break off....but i dont go overboard so that its so greasy the hair keeps slipping off...its a delicate balance~

banding is taking a section and wrapping the entire ponytail with the hair tie...does that make sense?? you wrap it around the root like youre makin a ponytail, then you just keep it going all the way down to the end...it dries stretched out that way...

HTH!
~T~

PittGirl06

You got a picture of banding? I would like to see it...I am not good at visualizing based n words...lol. I THINK I understand but want to make sure.

Shatani

do you know who honeychild is?? she has a great example of banding in her hair album...

MrsQueeny

[ QUOTE ]
nonie said:
[ QUOTE ]
queeny20 said:
If I get micros then I blowdry and straighten but if it's just cornrows, then no. Straightening it helps it to lay flatter so my braider can blend it well without braiding too tight. HTH Q

[/ QUOTE ]

Queeny, doesn't your hair then get untidy when you wash the braids and your hair reverts...since you started off with straight hair and it's bound to shrink when you wash?

That's another reason I prefer to have my hair blended in with the extensions while in its natural curly state so that I can wash without worrying about shrinkage causing a change in how the braids look. If I can find a picture showing a close-up of how my micros look when done on natural hair, I'll post it so you can see that it's possible to blend it with extension hair even when the texture of the hair piece isn't the same as your own hair...and all that without putting strain on your scalp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually no that has never happened. My hair is super curly, especially on the ends. Actually I never let it get pressed completely straight because I know it would take a lot of heat and I don't want to fry it
My micros last awhile also. I would love to see your pics though

Last edited:

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong

<font color="purple">In the past I blowdried my hair before the braids. But since I don't use heat on my hair, I let it airdry then have my hair done that way. I also put moisturizers, butters, and oils on my hair prior to braiding. I haven't wore extensions since back in Spring. And for me, since my hair is a little longer, I don't have the need to. If I can afford it, I would put in human hair to make my hair even longer. </font>

candibaby

i dont.. but if my hairdresser braids my hair, she'll blow dry it.

Sweetyb

I once walked into a salon with a thick, tight, uncombed &amp; unmoisturized fro, cause my friend told me I could just wash my hair and leave it and they'll take care of it. My braider had the hardest time trying to tear sections of hair out of the mass of thick curls, and my scalp was hella hurting the entire time. Years later I've learned how to airdry my hair. I wear ponytails all the time now so if I'm getting braids my hair is already straightened from that.

Nonie

[ QUOTE ]
queeny20 said:

...I would love to see your pics though

[/ QUOTE ]

I found a picture showing shrinkage and decided to use that to show the texture of my natural hair. Inset is a close up of the same unstraightened hair in silky human hair extension braids. Even with the different texture and color, you can still achieve well-blended braids. Those were freshly done braids.

Below are braids that are (ahem) very old -- I am one of those weirdos that wore micro braids 24/7, forever and a day! This was shortly after a wash (once again, unstraightened hair with straight extension hair), and I washed my hair twice a week: This is how I did my micro braid-outs Starting with damp hair, I'd wear two cornrows on either side of my head for a couple of days and then I'd undo them and sport waves. I so loved wearing my braids in that "protective" pre-braid-out do and I'd either create the do with a side part, or with a center part as shown in that pic.