Thoughts On This Homemade Hair Growth Oil???

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
That's good to know. Which ingredients?

Here are the ingredients/descriptions from the website:

The henna gloss:
Henna - deeply conditions/ prevent hair loss/ mends hair cuticles/ add luster, shine and volume
Marshmallow Root - adds slip/ prevent breakage/ moisturizes and conditions /promotes hair growth/ improves hair health/ detangles
Avocado Oil - soften dry and brittle split ends/ hydrating/ coats hair
Green Tea - boost hair growth/ adds shine/ stimulate follicles/ prevent hair loss
Apple Cider Vinegar - rids split ends/ combats tangles
Maca Root - promotes thicker stronger hair
Saw Palmetto - promotes hair health/ prevent hair loss
Basil - stimulates scalp/ hair growth/ improves strength of hair shaft/ reduce brittleness and hair breakage

The tea rinse:
Lavender - balance natural oil production on scalp/ strength new hair growth
Green Tea - boost hair growth/prevent dry scalp
Black Tea - increase thickness of hair/stimulate hair growth/reduce shedding/ add shine and softens hair
Calendula - moisturizes and restore strands/ increase collagen production and circulation in hair follicles
Chamomile - natural moisturizer/ promotes growth/ soothes/ rids dry scalp/conditions/ add shine/brighten hair natural hair color
Comfrey - prevent dryness and stimulate hair growth and scalp
Sage - shine/ luster/promotes new hair growth/conditions hair
Red Clover - maintains elasticity / stimulate blood flow in the scalp
Hops - adds shine and luster/ rids dry scalp/ reduce hair fall/strength

Irritants for me:

In the henna gloss:
Marshmallow root cannot come close to my scalp. I will scratch a hole in my scalp trying to relieve the itches. My hair loves it but my scalp hates it and I have to shampoo it out. Never tried the saw palmetto or basil.

The tea:
I hate lavender. Hate the smell. Makes me gag. Plus it's pretty drying to my scalp.
Comfrey makes my scalp itch as much as marshmallow root. Never tried green and black tea nor red clover.

I try and single out my herbs as well as my Indian powders to have a good idea as to how my hair/scalp responds.

Soaring Eagle

Singin’ the praises of the baggy method
Just incase anyone is as lazy as I am and would prefer to buy their oil: There is an oil that contains most of the same ingredients-- "Gro Aut Hair Growth Oil". Curly Proverbz used it also. She stopped purchasing it because shipping to the U.K. got too expensive for her, which is why she started to make her own.

If anyone is interested, this is the link: http://www.gro-aut.com/groautoil.html

Ingredients: Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Embilica Officinalis (Bringraj) Herb, Eclipta Alba (Amla) Herb, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Oil, Lavandula Officinalis (Lavender) Oil, Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM sulfur), Biotin.

Also, she made at least two videos about the oil, here is one of them (in case you have doubts):
(If this was mentioned already, my baddd. :))

Last edited:

Dee-Licious

I made too much for my preferred 4oz bottle and poured the excess into a 4oz jar. It solidified nicely. I use some on my edges and part today. It was great to not have any drippies. I'm going to look into making it a true pomade that doesn't require refrigeration to remain solid.

I mixed mine with beeswax... it stays solid and spreads smoothly. I just ALWAYS forget to use it. :oops:

mzpurp

I still have a jar that I started infusing in May that I haven't touched and still have some of the first batch I made smh!
Going home to slather some on my head as a pre poo...

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Just made a new batch with a few changes:
- Used avocado oil instead Olive oil (EVOO)
- Added emu oil
- Added lavender flowers
- Added orange peel
- Added bhringraj
- Added rose petals

Note just have to watch it brew.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Updating:
Y'all coulda told me about the coffee filter trick for infusing Ayurvedic powders! That last batch had way too much leftover powder in it!!! LOL

I put 1 spoonful each of henna, amla & Brahmi into a coffee filter. Secured it with a hair band and placed it inside some oil.

View attachment 398269

View attachment 398271

This time, I used 3/4 cup of Grapeseed oil, 2 spoonfuls of Jamaican black castor oil and a spoonful of monoi Tahitian coconut oil. Will let it infuse on my window sill while I'm using up my current batch (2-3 weeks) then remove the powder bag and infuse in the fenugreek seeds, a few herbs and MSM on my candle warmer for 8-24 hours.

I have tons of the oil from my first batch left. It's getting "old," and my broccoli seed oil has arrived, so I'm going to go ahead and make batch #2, version #2 tomorrow and let it marinate for 48 hours before use.

I'm going to skip the extra virgin olive oil this time and assess (I'll reincorporate it next time if I find I prefer the mix when it contains olive oil).

The plan is to warm this oil ad then use it as an overnight prepoo treatment. I've been looking at Reniece videos about "taming" natural hair. I imagine she really just means "conditioning" when she says "taming." I like this oil for doing so, in conjunction with DCing.

Plan for Version/Batch #2

upload_2017-7-21_1-31-30.png

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I have tons of the oil from my first batch left. It's getting "old," and my broccoli seed oil has arrived, so I'm going to go ahead and make batch #2, version #2 tomorrow and let it marinate for 48 hours before use.

I'm going to skip the extra virgin olive oil this time and assess (I'll reincorporate it next time if I find I prefer the mix when it contains olive oil).

The plan is to warm this oil ad then use it as an overnight prepoo treatment. I've been looking at Reniece videos about "taming" natural hair. I imagine she really just means "conditioning" when she says "taming." I like this oil for doing so, in conjunction with DCing.

Plan for Version/Batch #2

View attachment 406107

That new batch sounds yummy. I've never tried broccoli seed oil or carrot oil. How do you like them? I need to go oil shopping soon. Wanna re-up on pumpkin seed oil, hemp seed oil and wheat germ oil. I still have enough of my other oils for a few more infusions.

I always add the oil mixture to my overnight pre-poo's. It's probably my favorite way to use it. I put it all over my scalp, massage it in. Put conditioner on my hair then top it off with the oil. I feel like it's soaking in and my hair and scalp gets to drink up all that goodness!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
New batch almost ready. It's been on my window sill for a while and I'll finish it up on my candle warmer throughout the weekend.

image.jpg

This version has all kinda goodness in it: Calendula flowers, rosemary herbs, Nupur henna, aloe vera powder, brahmi ,bhringraj, fenugreek seeds and this time I added in some bamboo extract. (Had some pills so I just opened one up and dumped it in).

Can't remember the other herbs I put in there...I just throw stuff in. LOL

YvetteWithJoy

On break
That new batch sounds yummy. I've never tried broccoli seed oil or carrot oil. How do you like them? I need to go oil shopping soon. Wanna re-up on pumpkin seed oil, hemp seed oil and wheat germ oil. I still have enough of my other oils for a few more infusions.

I always add the oil mixture to my overnight pre-poo's. It's probably my favorite way to use it. I put it all over my scalp, massage it in. Put conditioner on my hair then top it off with the oil. I feel like it's soaking in and my hair and scalp gets to drink up all that goodness!

Hey, lady!

Wow. Lots of goodies in your batch!

I used broccoli seed oil for the first time yesterday, and my hair felt and looked awesome. I got sheen/shine and moisture. I was too heavy handed because it's light. I'll use less going forward.

When I wore relaxed hair, the old formula for the Yes To Carrots hair mask was like conditioning magic on my hair. It's the main reason I'm throwing carrot seed oil in, and it may or may not enhance this oil and herb mix--I don't know. :smile:

I'll try to remember to report back a comparison of this version and the first.

I think I'll cut all those measurements in half.

Daina

Making a new batch tonight and will be sharing some with a co-worker. She is trying to grow in her edges so I told her about the this oil mix and she asked to try it. This batch will include:
--Fenugreek seeds
--Coconut oil
--Castor oil
--EVOO
--Grapeseed oil
--MSM
--Shikaki
--Rosemary oil
--Peppermint oil

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I just made my batch this morning. I can't get over the scent. Divine! It's the particular castor-oil containing product pictured below that is the culprit.

I chopped everything in half from my earlier post except all the oils. This version . . . version #2 . . . is a little more powdery than my previous one.

The fenugreek seeds are wrapped in food grade unbleached cheese cloth, sitting in the mix.

WP_20170723_002.jpg WP_20170723_004.jpg WP_20170723_005.jpg

YvetteWithJoy

On break
My current batch is too thin. I imagine that switching to the fractionated coconut oil (a liquid) made the most difference.

I'm going to see if adding plain (clear) castor oil will thicken it up enough. If that doesn't work, I'll also add some regular EVCO.

Also, I think I'm going to try adding this oil to my CRN Style Setter. Mine is not creamy like the ones I see on YouTube. It's a barely soft, super solid butter. I really want an ayurvedic twisting cream, but I'm trying NOT to purchase. Maybe if I add this ayurvedic oil to the Style Setter, I'll have a great and CREAMY product for twisting that helps my hair health!

Libra08

Finally finished my first batch! I added some new ingredients this go around. I'm not sure what hibiscus petals do, but I see it mentioned a lot so I decided to throw some in since I found them in the grocery store. Next time I will use less funugreek seeds. They take up to much space. Or I guess I could just get a bigger mason jar...For my second batch I used:

- Avocado Oil
- Grapeseed Oil
- Vatika Oil
- Safflower Oil
- Sweet Almond Oil
- Apricot Oil
- Vitamin E oil
- JBCO
- Olive Oil
- Hibiscus Petals
- Funugreek Seeds
- Funugreek Powder
- Amla Powder
- Neem Powder
- Brahmi Powder
- Bhringaraj Powder
- Henna Powder
- Rosemary Oil
- Lavender Oil
- Tea Tree Oil
- Peppermint Oil
- MSM Powder

Last edited:

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Finally finished my first batch! I added some new ingredients this go around. I'm not sure what hibiscus petals do, but I see it mentioned a lot so I decided to throw some in since I found them in the grocery store. Next time I will use less funugreek seeds. They take up to much space. Or I guess I could just get a bigger mason jar...For my second batch I used:

- Avocado Oil
- Grapeseed Oil
- Vatika Oil
- Safflower Oil
- Sweet Almond Oil
- Apricot Oil
- Vitamin E oil
- JBCO
- Olive Oil
- Hibiscus Petals
- Funugreek Seeds
- Funugreek Powder
- Amla Powder
- Neem Powder
- Brahmi Powder
- Bhringaraj Powder
- Henna Powder
- Rosemary Oil
- Lavender Oil
- Tea Tree Oil
- Peppermint Oil
- MSM Powder

Why did you use both fenugreek seeds and powder?

Hibiscus is pretty healthy for the hair.

What does Hibiscus do?
  • prevents hair loss
  • prevents premature graying
  • lessens frizz
  • promotes hair growth
  • gives hair a boost of shine and bounce
  • helps balance the pH of the scalp
  • reduces redness, scalping and itching of the scalp
  • works like an astringent to reduce the oiliness of hair
  • discourages split ends
From: http://www.curlynikki.com/2015/02/hibiscus-to-promote-hair-growth-and.html

Aggie

New batch almost ready. It's been on my window sill for a while and I'll finish it up on my candle warmer throughout the weekend.

View attachment 406131

This version has all kinda goodness in it: Calendula flowers, rosemary herbs, Nupur henna, aloe vera powder, brahmi ,bhringraj, fenugreek seeds and this time I added in some bamboo extract. (Had some pills so I just opened one up and dumped it in).

Can't remember the other herbs I put in there...I just throw stuff in. LOL

Good idea on the bamboo extract @lulu97. I love it. I do have some of those in my vitamin stash so will be adding that in my next batch, most likely :yep:.

Libra08

Why did you use both fenugreek seeds and powder?

Hibiscus is pretty healthy for the hair.

What does Hibiscus do?
  • prevents hair loss
  • prevents premature graying
  • lessens frizz
  • promotes hair growth
  • gives hair a boost of shine and bounce
  • helps balance the pH of the scalp
  • reduces redness, scalping and itching of the scalp
  • works like an astringent to reduce the oiliness of hair
  • discourages split ends
From: http://www.curlynikki.com/2015/02/hibiscus-to-promote-hair-growth-and.html

Thanks for the info! I accidentally bought funugreek powder instead of the seeds so I ended up with both.

Aggie

My Process Today:

Prepooed with Curly Proverbz growth oil
Henna gloss with Beauty Herbal Henna, amla powder, NG Aloe and Avocado DC, ayurveda hair oil
Shampooing with Redken Color Extend Shampoo
DCind with NG Vanilla Fig Deep Conditioner
Leave-in with Bekura Honey Latte

spacetygrss

How Random! I just subscribed to her channel after watching her videos about how much ayurvedic practices helped her so that I'd remember to go back to her hair hair oil video!
I use to be on top of my ayurveda and have almost all of the ingredients already. I ordered Peppermint oil, MSM powder and fenugreek seeds last night from Amazon. It should be here today. I can't decide, but I might use Cassia instead of henna, we shall see.

tapioca_pudding

Good idea on the bamboo extract @lulu97. I love it. I do have some of those in my vitamin stash so will be adding that in my next batch, most likely :yep:.
Same here - I stopped taking them because I wasn't sure if it was healthy during pregnancy, but I will definitely dump some in my batch later!

Made a batch last night - coconut oil, shea oil, a few cococa butter wafers, hemp seed oil, avocado oil, grapeseed oil, black seed oil, rose oil, henna, brahmi, bringhaj, amla, aloe vera powder, a bunch of herbs from a tea rinse I bought, fenugreek seeds.... I think thats it lol. Will add the bamboo as I mentioned above. Gonna let it sit on my window sill until I'm done w/ the batch I'm using; I think I have about two weeks left in this batch so that should work out fine.

Aggie

I have a little oil left from my first batch that I will try to use up before I head to Canada. I will make another one when I return home.

I want to make a couple slight changes to my mixture like add the bamboo vitamin to it and maybe some other herbs like aloe vera powder or stem from my garden, hibiscus powder, bhringraj powder, and rose petal powders to it. I may even add some rosemary leaves to my next brew.

I wanted to add some moringa leaves to it but my tree is too young at the moment. I do have a neem tree growing in a pot so I may add a few leaves from that.

I have a few hibiscus plants in my garden so I think I will start to save up the dried up petals that fall from them, let them dry some more in my window sill, then add them to my brew. I ain't playin' this time. I am using stuff from my hard work in my own little garden that I've started.

Okay I just got myself really excited so when I return, I will update on what I'm using for sure.

tapioca_pudding

I don't know where to post this lol.

So I took pretty much the same ingredients mentioned above (henna, brahmi, bringhaj, amla, aloe vera powder, a bunch of herbs from a tea rinse I bought, fenugreek seeds) added them to a satchel, placed them in a mason jar and poured boiling water over them. I put the top on and let it steep over night. This morning I put it in a spray bottle and used it as my leave in after cowashing. I sealed with my oil and my hair is... I don't even know how to explain it lol. It feels FABULOUS. Just friggin fabulous. Gonna keep the spray in the fridge and use it every few days along w/ the oil. Super excited.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I don't know where to post this lol.

So I took pretty much the same ingredients mentioned above (henna, brahmi, bringhaj, amla, aloe vera powder, a bunch of herbs from a tea rinse I bought, fenugreek seeds) added them to a satchel, placed them in a mason jar and poured boiling water over them. I put the top on and let it steep over night. This morning I put it in a spray bottle and used it as my leave in after cowashing. I sealed with my oil and my hair is... I don't even know how to explain it lol. It feels FABULOUS. Just friggin fabulous. Gonna keep the spray in the fridge and use it every few days along w/ the oil. Super excited.

Wow! Thanks for sharing.

I bought some hyaluronic acid capsules. I don't know how much I'm going to add, but I'm off to research!