Thoughts On This Homemade Hair Growth Oil???

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I lightly oiled my scalp yesterday and did a scalp massage with my Vanity Planet scalp brush. Hair is in 4 jumbo braids until the weekend.

Another tip to help keep the oil potent: I now make large batches (16 to 24 ounces) and only strain out 3-4 ounces into an applicator bottle as I run out. That way the remainder of the oil is always soaking in the herbs and getting infused for longer periods of time.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I have a little oil left from my first batch that I will try to use up before I head to Canada. I will make another one when I return home.

I want to make a couple slight changes to my mixture like add the bamboo vitamin to it and maybe some other herbs like aloe vera powder or stem from my garden, hibiscus powder, bhringraj powder, and rose petal powders to it. I may even add some rosemary leaves to my next brew.

I wanted to add some moringa leaves to it but my tree is too young at the moment. I do have a neem tree growing in a pot so I may add a few leaves from that.

I have a few hibiscus plants in my garden so I think I will start to save up the dried up petals that fall from them, let them dry some more in my window sill, then add them to my brew. I ain't playin' this time. I am using stuff from my hard work in my own little garden that I've started.

Okay I just got myself really excited so when I return, I will update on what I'm using for sure.

OT:
Sounds like you have lots of goodies growing in your garden. Mine is still a baby...a handful of herbs, a few flowers and 2 apple trees. But it's so relaxing when I get out there and tend to it. I want to plant more stuff but it's all still new to me so I don't want to overwhelm myself. I also have a few plants inside that keep me on my toes as well. It's an amazing thing to plant something, nurture it and watch it grow. Even better when it's food and you can go outside and pick out things to cook with it. I hope to one day grow all or the bulk of what my family and I consume.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
These hyaluronic acid pills were like $12 on sale at Sprouts.

I have read instructions that say powdered HA should only be mixed with very cold, filtered or distilled water . . . and that it requires constantly shaking the mixture to get it fully mixed. The ratio is supposed to be 1 teaspoon to 16 ounces of water, I believe.

Also . . . if the resultant HA serum is to be used for an extended period of time, Vitamin C should be added as a natural preservative.

Hmm.

Another posts says something slightly different.

:scratchchin:

Aggie

I don't know where to post this lol.

So I took pretty much the same ingredients mentioned above (henna, brahmi, bringhaj, amla, aloe vera powder, a bunch of herbs from a tea rinse I bought, fenugreek seeds) added them to a satchel, placed them in a mason jar and poured boiling water over them. I put the top on and let it steep over night. This morning I put it in a spray bottle and used it as my leave in after cowashing. I sealed with my oil and my hair is... I don't even know how to explain it lol. It feels FABULOUS. Just friggin fabulous. Gonna keep the spray in the fridge and use it every few days along w/ the oil. Super excited.
oooh, this sounds so good girl. That rinse...I like it a lot :yep:!

Aggie

OT:
Sounds like you have lots of goodies growing in your garden. Mine is still a baby...a handful of herbs, a few flowers and 2 apple trees. But it's so relaxing when I get out there and tend to it. I want to plant more stuff but it's all still new to me so I don't want to overwhelm myself. I also have a few plants inside that keep me on my toes as well. It's an amazing thing to plant something, nurture it and watch it grow. Even better when it's food and you can go outside and pick out things to cook with it. I hope to one day grow all or the bulk of what my family and I consume.

Agreed with the bolded. That is my aim - to grow some food for my family's consumption. I am slowly working on it :yep:. I actually have about 4 large aloe plants growing out there as well. So when I saw yours, I smiled. Love it!!

I am looking to add rosemary, thyme, sage, chives, tomatoes, carrots, spinach, kale, and broccoli. I already have hot peppers, peas, beans, and onions growing out there too. I tell you, this really excites me like you wouldn't believe :drunk: :spinning:.

Dee-Licious

I found my grease I made from my oil infusion. I hope to MAKE myself lol my scalp tonight!!! I've wasted a month of potential progress.

I have used my oil three times for hot oil treatments. My mama took my second jar after she did a treatment and loved how it made her hair feel.

I added sulfur to my oil when I made my grease.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Agreed with the bolded. That is my aim - to grow some food for my family's consumption. I am slowly working on it :yep:. I actually have about 4 large aloe plants growing out there as well. So when I saw yours, I smiled. Love it!!

I am looking to add rosemary, thyme, sage, chives, tomatoes, carrots, spinach, kale, and broccoli. I already have hot peppers, peas, beans, and onions growing out there too. I tell you, this really excites me like you wouldn't believe :drunk: :spinning:.

Oh yeah...I love that aloe plant!!! I repotted it since that last picture I posted and it has around 13 new baby leaves coming in. I leave it upstairs to help purify the air.

I have a bamboo plant and a bonsai plant on our main level.

For herbs; I have rosemary, chives, jalapeños & sweet basil. (I tried to add pics but of course the forum is back to tripping with accepting pics). I've had to move them inside because they were attracting bunnies.

Today I ate an avocado from my farmers market that was so good that I cleaned the seed and am now attempting to get it to sprout roots so I can plant it. It takes around 6 weeks for this to happen so we shall see how that goes.

I was trying to get my hands on a small lemon tree but I waited too late and the plant nursery that I'm a member of sold out of them within 2 weeks of them coming in, in early May. I've been hoping to luck up and find one at the Farmers Market but no luck there either.

Keep me updated on how your garden is coming along. I would love to continue to hear about it. It's rare to find someone who loves gardening too. LOL

Aggie

Oh yeah...I love that aloe plant!!! I repotted it since that last picture I posted and it has around 13 new baby leaves coming in. I leave it upstairs to help purify the air.

I have a bamboo plant and a bonsai plant on our main level.

For herbs; I have rosemary, chives, jalapeños & sweet basil. (I tried to add pics but of course the forum is back to tripping with accepting pics). I've had to move them inside because they were attracting bunnies.

Today I ate an avocado from my farmers market that was so good that I cleaned the seed and am now attempting to get it to sprout roots so I can plant it. It takes around 6 weeks for this to happen so we shall see how that goes.

I was trying to get my hands on a small lemon tree but I waited too late and the plant nursery that I'm a member of sold out of them within 2 weeks of them coming in, in early May. I've been hoping to luck up and find one at the Farmers Market but no luck there either.

Keep me updated on how your garden is coming along. I would love to continue to hear about it. It's rare to find someone who loves gardening too. LOL

Will do hon.

Ooh I forgot to mention that I have an avocado tree - bearing some fruit now, mango tree - still pretty young, coconut tree - pretty young and no coconuts on it as yet, and a banana tree growing in the yard as well. My key lime tree is about 2.5 to 3 feet tall so far and I just planted that less than a year ago.

That bonsai plant of yours sounds awesome. I love those. I will be having some fun with my avocados this year and will keep you posted. So funny that you cleaned the seed of the avocado that you bought. I think I want to add some of that rosemary herb soon. I love that in my food especially when I make rosemary rice :lick:.

I wonder how hard it is to grow sweet potatoes. I love sweet potatoes. I want to eat more of it and replace rice with it in my diet. Yes it is so good to find someone else that loves gardening like I do. It is so therapeutic. It's hard work but I enjoy it so much.

ETA: I also have a papaya tree growing outside too. It's about 4 feet tall with no fruits on it yet though.

Dee-Licious

Will do hon.

Ooh I forgot to mention that I have an avocado tree - bearing some fruit now, mango tree - still pretty young, coconut tree - pretty young and no coconuts on it as yet, and a banana tree growing in the yard as well. My key lime tree is about 2.5 to 3 feet tall so far and I just planted that less than a year ago.

That bonsai plant of yours sounds awesome. I love those. I will be having some fun with my avocados this year and will keep you posted. So funny that you cleaned the seed of the avocado that you bought. I think I want to add some of that rosemary herb soon. I love that in my food especially when I make rosemary rice :lick:.

I wonder how hard it is to grow sweet potatoes. I love sweet potatoes. I want to eat more of it and replace rice with it in my diet. Yes it is so good to find someone else that loves gardening like I do. It is so therapeutic. It's hard work but I enjoy it so much.

ETA: I also have a papaya tree growing outside too. It's about 4 feet tall with no fruits on it yet though.

I've done sweet potatoes in a plastic trash can with holes poked in the bottom for drainage. It worked well.

Here's a link that explains a process do it in a 5 gallon container http://fivegallonideas.com/growing-sweet-potatoes/

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Will do hon.

@Aggie Dang Sis, you just made me hungry listing all that deliciousness! My garden wants to be just like yours when it grows up!

sunshine737

I don't know where to post this lol.

So I took pretty much the same ingredients mentioned above (henna, brahmi, bringhaj, amla, aloe vera powder, a bunch of herbs from a tea rinse I bought, fenugreek seeds) added them to a satchel, placed them in a mason jar and poured boiling water over them. I put the top on and let it steep over night. This morning I put it in a spray bottle and used it as my leave in after cowashing. I sealed with my oil and my hair is... I don't even know how to explain it lol. It feels FABULOUS. Just friggin fabulous. Gonna keep the spray in the fridge and use it every few days along w/ the oil. Super excited.

Does the spray/hair stain your clothes from the henna in it?

tapioca_pudding

Does the spray/hair stain your clothes from the henna in it?
I don't use enough to overly saturate my hair, just enough to moisten it. And I seal it right away with the oil so there's no drippage. Also I do all of this right out of the shower while I'm airdrying my body :look: :lol: so nothing gets on clothes. I haven't noticed any staining of skin, etc. HTH!

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I have nearly all the ingredients to make my own version:

¼ c (32 g) babassu oil
¼ c (32 g) Derma-E oil
½ tsp (2.5 g) MSM
1 tsp (5.7 g) henna or cassia
2½ tbs (35 g) fenugreek seeds
1½ tbs (21 g) castor oil
3 drops Tea Tree Oil
3 drops Rosemary Essential Oil
3 drops Peppermint Essential Oil

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Just made another batch. My third I think. I still have half of my second batch in the fridge. I will use that to grease my scalp until my new batch is ready. I'll probably let it infuse for 2 weeks. I do need to grab some oils. Will add the MSM on day 12 and the EOs on day 13. Had to set a reminder so I don't forget :look:

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I need to make another batch but have to get some oils first.

Can anyone list where they get some of their oils? I'm thinking Pumpkin, Babassu, Sunflower, and the usual suspects.
I get most of them from eBay. Some you can get from the grocery store: coconut, safflower, sunflower sesame, avocado, extra virgin olive, grapeseed, walnut, and hempseed (health food store).

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I need to make another batch but have to get some oils first.

Can anyone list where they get some of their oils? I'm thinking Pumpkin, Babassu, Sunflower, and the usual suspects.

When I was testing oils, I would buy them from wholesalesuppliesplus.com They have all the ones you are looking for. You can buy them in 2 ounce samples for $2 to $4 each.

I found some I really liked testing them from that company but would rather just stick with oils I can find at the grocery store. I'm trying to use up the million I have and only have a few I use in this oil mix. LOL