Thoughts On This Homemade Hair Growth Oil???

Alma Petra

Yep....I'm 38 weeks so 9 1/2 months pregnant. (Pregnancy lasts 40 weeks so technically 10 months) I'm over it too...just wish this child would come the heyal on!

Your growth is amazing Lulu! Do you grow more than 0.5 inches per month now with the regular use of CP oil?

Btw all months contain more than 4 weeks except for February. So you're probably somewhere within the 9th month. Average pregnancy (40 weeks) is about 9 months and 10 days.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Your growth is amazing Lulu! Do you grow more than 0.5 inches per month now with the regular use of CP oil?

Btw all months contain more than 4 weeks except for February. So you're probably somewhere within the 9th month. Average pregnancy (40 weeks) is about 9 months and 10 days.

That doesn't change the fact that I'm still over it and ready to evict this kid. LOL

I haven't measured my growth (with a tape measure) since the first year of my hair journey so I have no clue if this next sentence still stands. But when I did, my hair grew at different rates depending on how it's parted. If you were to part my hair in 3 equal parts horizontally: the very back which is the finest and tightest grows a bit over 0.5 an inch.
Go a little higher to my crown area and it gets the average 0.5.
Very top of my hair (bang area that frames my face) grows at a snails pace...so way less than the average.

Edited to add after seeing I did not answer your question about getting beyond the normal growth:

I really just sincerely like the oil. Whether I'm getting more than what I normally grow is not a big deal to me. It is a big deal though that I have finally found something I can put on my scalp that doesn't make me want to scratch my scalp off. Plus I love the way my hair feels with it. Like if I wanted to deep condition with just this oil....it would be sufficient. So in other words, I don't know if I'm getting above what I normally get because I have not measured it. LOL

Last edited:

tapioca_pudding

I really just sincerely like the oil. Whether I'm getting more than what I normally grow is not a big deal to me. It is a big deal though that I have finally found something I can put on my scalp that doesn't make me want to scratch my scalp off. Plus I love the way my hair feels with it. Like if I wanted to deep condition with just this oil....it would be sufficient. So in other words, I don't know if I'm getting above what I normally get because I have not measured it. LOL
I feel the same way. I'm not even really doing length checks (not related to this oil anyway). Aside from my last wonky batch, I just love love love this oil, whether it boosts growth or not. My scalp AND hair love it, and my hair normally HATES any oil. So it's a keeper for those reasons alone.

Alma Petra

That doesn't change the fact that I'm still over it and ready to evict this kid. LOL

I haven't measured my growth (with a tape measure) since the first year of my hair journey so I have no clue if this next sentence still stands. But when I did, my hair grew at different rates depending on how it's parted. If you were to part my hair in 3 equal parts horizontally: the very back which is the finest and tightest grows a bit over 0.5 an inch.
Go a little higher to my crown area and it gets the average 0.5.
Very top of my hair (bang area that frames my face) grows at a snails pace...so way less than the average.

Edited to add after seeing I did not answer your question about getting beyond the normal growth:

Hehehe I hear you sis!
And thanks for the reply about the growth rate. I just have to say again that I'm in love with your hair! Keep it up!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I feel the same way. I'm not even really doing length checks (not related to this oil anyway). Aside from my last wonky batch, I just love love love this oil, whether it boosts growth or not. My scalp AND hair love it, and my hair normally HATES any oil. So it's a keeper for those reasons alone.

Doing length checks feel very uncomfortable to me now. If I stretch my hair, I feel like it puts all the focus on my butt...since my stretched hair stretches to that area. LOL That's why I've only been doing them on hair that I don't have to pull with my fingers. Once I get my roller sets to my hips, I won't be doing anymore length checks period. That's about as low down south as I'm willing to show on here now. I'll just show pictures of styles here and there.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Hehehe I hear you sis!
And thanks for the reply about the growth rate. I just have to say again that I'm in love with your hair! Keep it up!

Thank you Sis! I saw your hesitation to get the separate ingredients for the oils in the other thread. Just wanted you to be aware that CurlyProverbz sells the oil as well if you wanted to just buy it without making it yourself. I can't post a link from my phone now but I'm sure if you view any of her recent videos, a link to purchase the oil would be in the description. Matter of fact, I think someone posted it up thread.

Alma Petra

Thank you Sis! I saw your hesitation to get the separate ingredients for the oils in the other thread. Just wanted you to be aware that CurlyProverbz sells the oil as well if you wanted to just buy it without making it yourself. I can't post a link from my phone now but I'm sure if you view any of her recent videos, a link to purchase the oil would be in the description. Matter of fact, I think someone posted it up thread.

Thanks dear! I found this linked in her Instagram profile https://bellebarorganic.com/collect...thi-fenugreek-infused-oil?variant=43389123532

But it is extremely expensive and it only includes a few of the ingredients. In fact the only herb it contains is the fenugreek I believe!!

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword

Alma Petra

It contains everything but the MSM; scroll down for the rest. The company is in the US, so it would be expensive with the shipping cost.

Hi dear! These are the only ingredients listed:

Coconut Oil
Olive Oil
Vitamin C
Henna
Fenugreek
Castor Oil
Tea Tree Oil
Rosemary
Peppermint

Is that all it's supposed to contain?

Guess I have been fooled by all the stuff people are nowadays putting into it then lol

But nonetheless it is really very expensive. And as you said the shipping is going to add salt to the wound.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Hi dear! These are the only ingredients listed:

Coconut Oil
Olive Oil
Vitamin C
Henna
Fenugreek
Castor Oil
Tea Tree Oil
Rosemary
Peppermint

Is that all it's supposed to contain?

Guess I have been fooled by all the stuff people are nowadays putting into it then lol

But nonetheless it is really very expensive. And as you said the shipping is going to add salt to the wound.
Yup, yup, that's it. They do not include MSM because it is synthetic.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
It's missing the alma and brahmi powders
Here is the original ingredient list, which she lists in the description as well. She got the amount of MSM wrong, but the rest is fine:

¾ c Coconut Oil

¾ c Extra Virgin Olive Oil

1-2 tsp MSM (should be ¼-½ tsp)

1 tb Henna

½ c Fenugreek Seeds

5 tbs (5/16 c) Castor Oil

5-10 drops Tea Tree Oil

5-10 drops Rosemary Essential Oil

5-10 drops Peppermint Essential Oil

mzpurp

I bottled my second batch (about a week ago) and started a third with the herbs that were already there (being lazy)...

This weekend I'll add more herbs and try to get some fenugreek seeds bc all I have now is the powder....

Daina

How much are you trimming? I've started back dusting here and there when I feel it's needed. It's not much...really looks like dust...but my ends feel amazing now. LOL

At least you won't really lose length if you are trimming what you are growing.

@lulu97, hey sis sorry for the late reply. This last time I took off about 2-3 inches. Took off the most in my crown and in the front where the last of the heat damage was hanging on. I'm done cutting for the year and will only trim in November if needed. I'm praying to be back to WL by next March.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I just threw out all of my old oil (from the first and second batches). It's hard throwing stuff out! LOL!

I will make a third batch using the following recipe, which is basically the same as the original recipe except that I've added carrot seed oil, am using fractionated coconut oil instead of regular EVCO, and I'm doing something slightly different in terms of the castor oil.

Powders and seeds in a tied-up coffee filter that sits in the oil mix (Thanks for the tip, @LuLu!):
  • MSM powder: 1 teaspoon
  • Henna (the Nupur brand containing amla, brahmi, etc.): 1 tablespoon
  • Fenugreek seeds: 1/2 a cup
Oils:
  • Fractionated coconut oil: 3/4 a cup
  • Extra virgin olive oil: 3/4 a cup
  • Castor oil 5 tablespoons:
    • 3 tablespoons of clear castor oil
    • 2 tablespoons of Jamaican Mange & Lime Black Castor Oil, the Vitamin A, D, E version (for the vitamins and the aroma :drool:)
  • Rosemary oil: 10 drops
  • Teatree oil: 10 drops
  • Peppermint oil: 10 drops
  • Carrot seed oil: 10 drops
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: This was my first batch's recipe (taken from the original video):

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Thanks dear! I found this linked in her Instagram profile https://bellebarorganic.com/collect...thi-fenugreek-infused-oil?variant=43389123532

But it is extremely expensive and it only includes a few of the ingredients. In fact the only herb it contains is the fenugreek I believe!!

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you...that is a bit expensive. You would come out way better (price wise) to just buy the ingredients separately and mix it yourself. You would be able to mix multiple batches too. Also the beauty in mixing it yourself would be that you could leave out stuff your hair does not agree with and add in stuff that it does. For example: I hate olive oil in my hair. So her mix would not work for me. With me DIY'ing my own oil, I could eliminate that.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@YvetteWithJoy I keep my coffee filters, seeds and herbs infusing in my oil for as long as it takes for me to finish the entire mason jar bottle. That way, the oil is constantly infusing and the older it gets...the stronger the infusion. I just pour out what I need (3-4 ounces at a time) into an applicator bottle. This is what my current batch looks like:

image.jpg

You probably can't see but there are 4 coffee filters in this batch. 2 are filled with henna, 1 with Brahmi and 1 with aloe vera powder. The fenugreek seeds and Rosehip herbs are just chilling at the bottom. LOL
I have not had a problem with the oil going bad from keeping the herbs, powders and seeds marinating in the oil.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy I keep my coffee filters, seeds and herbs infusing in my oil for as long as it takes for me to finish the entire mason jar bottle. That way, the oil is constantly infusing and the older it gets...the stronger the infusion. I just pour out what I need (3-4 ounces at a time) into an applicator bottle. This is what my current batch looks like:

View attachment 409617

You probably can't see but there are 4 coffee filters in this batch. 2 are filled with henna, 1 with Brahmi and 1 with aloe vera powder. The fenugreek seeds and Rosehip herbs are just chilling at the bottom. LOL
I have not had a problem with the oil going bad from keeping the herbs, powders and seeds marinating in the oil.

:kiss:

Thank you! That's what's up! :cool:

Last edited:

Beachy

I have decided to join you ladies on the Ayurvedic side. Baby steps for me though because I have a sensitive scalp that I have managed to keep happy. I also do not want the color of my hair to change.

I did an oil infusion about 2-2.5 weeks ago, it consisted of:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup grapeseed oil
1/2 cup of Fenugreek seeds
1/4 cup jamaican black castor oil
1/4 cup coconut oil
15 drops of tea tree oil
15 drops of rosemary oil
15 drops of peppermint oil

I have used all of these in some form except for the Fenugreek. I did a skin patch test and everything was good.

I am a die-hard bunner who doesn't take my buns down for 7-10 days (truth be told Im getting pretty sick of buns) so I had to figure out how to incorporate this oil into my simple regimen. I did a hot oil treatment with the oil last week during my wash day. I also combined the oil with a little water and conditioner in my spray bottle to use nightly before putting on my scarf.

I admit I am so intrigued by some of the infusion mixtures you ladies are using, y'all got me reading everything Ayurvedic I can find on the forum.

Hairties

Okay my 2nd batch is ready and I've put some into a smaller applicator. I have the remainder of the oil and herbs still contained so it will be continuous infusion.

2nd Batch
5 tbsp pumpkin seed oil
6 tbsp sunflower seed oil
5 tbsp broccoli seed oil
4 tbsp rice bran oil
3 tbsp babassu oil
3 tbsp Haitian black castor oil
3 tbsp Napur Henna 9 herb in 2 tea bags.
About 1/2 cup fenugreek seeds.
2 tbsp msm
Essential oils used in varying amount around 10-15 drops: peppermint, tea tree, rosemary, texas cedarwood, white thyme, and lemongrass

Notes: I actually found my first batch to be more tingly feeling. However I'm doing a heavy shampoo and deep conditioning session so we'll see once I have a clean scalp to deal with. The lemongrass is a nice scent to mask all the herbs but it's not the most pleasant oil. It still smells like a herbal oil.

Tefnut

Has any tried making this with fenugreek powder instead of the succeeds? If so, have you had any success? (I have bottles of fenugreek capsules that I'd love to get rid of.) TIA.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Third batch is marinating. :cool:

I'm probably going to remove the MSM from its tied-up coffee filter.

And the fenugreek seeds, too.

Edit: Those photos came out to large, so I'm leaving them as attachments only.

Attachments

• WP_20170902_009.jpg
    WP_20170902_009.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 39
  • WP_20170902_010.jpg
    WP_20170902_010.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Aggie

I have decided to join you ladies on the Ayurvedic side. Baby steps for me though because I have a sensitive scalp that I have managed to keep happy. I also do not want the color of my hair to change.

I did an oil infusion about 2-2.5 weeks ago, it consisted of:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup grapeseed oil
1/2 cup of Fenugreek seeds
1/4 cup jamaican black castor oil
1/4 cup coconut oil
15 drops of tea tree oil
15 drops of rosemary oil
15 drops of peppermint oil

All these oils are in my current batch I just made about 45 minutes ago. It's now infusing on my candle warmer for about 2- 3 days before I'll actually use it on my scalp.

I stuck with the original measurements but added 3 tablespoons of grapeseed oil, 1.5 tablespoons of Bhringraj powder and 1.5 tablespoons of hibiscus powder for added moisture.

I really wished I had some rose, cinnamon and aloe vera powders to add to it. Those are powders for another batch I guess.

Aggie

Has any tried making this with fenugreek powder instead of the succeeds? If so, have you had any success? (I have bottles of fenugreek capsules that I'd love to get rid of.) TIA.
I have not yet but I do have some powder that I know I will use in either this oil or a hair rinse. Either way, it will be used since it's still beneficial to hair growth.

moneychaser

Am I missing something??? Ive been researching the shelf life of fenugreek seeds and the various oils included in the recipe . I haven't been able to find anything that warrants tossing the oil out after 4 wks. Based on what Ive read grape seed oil is the only one that starts to go rancid after 3 months. Coconut/castor oil can last forever if you store it in a dark place and a well sealed container.

Aggie

Am I missing something??? Ive been researching the shelf life of fenugreek seeds and the various oils included in the recipe . I haven't been able to find anything that warrants tossing the oil out after 4 wks. Based on what Ive read grape seed oil is the only one that starts to go rancid after 3 months. Coconut/castor oil can last forever if you store it in a dark place and a well sealed container.

If you are concerned, only make enough to last a month including time of oil infusion. This way, you are in the clear of rancidity.