Thoughts On This Homemade Hair Growth Oil???

LushLox

@ThatJerseyGirl Great post :yep: I know you add grapefruit to your recipe but does it completely mask the garlic smell because that is some potent ish. I know that both garlic and onion are amazing for reducing shedding.

My homemade sulfur oil smells pretty good. I highly suggest using perfume oil to mask the scent.

No I can't really use sulphur it gives me a headache.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Do you? Does it still work the same. I heard they changed their ingredients and it's not as potent as it use to be, so I've heard. I checked out a few on Amazon and I was tempted to purchased....

Yes the formula changed a little. It still works for me since I still added more stuff to it. But I never got the Rapunzel results others claimed in the same vein. I started experimenting with using Neutral Protein Filler in a basic conditioner as a way to save money since Megatek is still pretty pricy. I feel like you have other options if you still like heavy proteins.

ThatJerseyGirl

@ThatJerseyGirl Great post :yep: I know you add grapefruit to your recipe but does it completely mask the garlic smell because that is some potent ish. I know that both garlic and onion are amazing for reducing shedding.

No I can't really use sulphur it gives me a headache.

I only use a few droppers of the oil. It's that pungent, but I've never had any complaints. I wouldn't chance it and use too much.

Aggie

Good Evening Ladies.

Got home about an hour ago and decided to do a 10 minute scalp massage with CP Ayurveda Growth Oil, followed by 5 minutes of inversion. My hair still feels wonderfully soft so I probably won't moisturize it tonight but will save it for after I spritz with CP Ayurveda Tea Rinse. :yep:.

Aggie

So, I've been lurking in this thread for quite some time now and this has brought back some memories....

I remember when LondonGirl or something like that posted a thread similar to this as well as another poster name CandiC or something and I remember when this was the rave back in the day on this board. This and that horse conditioner...can't think of the name right now. MEGATEK! That's it! Now, with all of the growth aides that have graced this board, we should be running around here lookin like Cousin Its and Rapunzel's.....

I can tell you that I have used both and both worked very well for my hair, but the Ayurvedic oils worked the best to me. The Megatek pushed it over the top. My hair was full, thick as hell and long. Hell, I was rockin my hair back n forth way before Willow even thought about writing that song! lolol...But one day, I decided to be cute n dyed my hair. And...well, the rest is history.

That said, let me give you my recipe and what I am doing now.

*lights up newport one hunnit* <<< tryna quit yall so ...

Parachute Coconut oil. This is the best coconut oil, in my opinion.
Amla Powder
Fenugreek Seeds - purchased at an Indian grocer in my area
Almond Oil - my hair loves this. also purchased from an Indian Grocer in my area
Sliced garlic cloves- I have this infusing in Olive Oil now in a mason jar. Garlic oil is excellent for hair growth
Henna Powder - It contains the bhringraj, amla, shikaki and brahmi powders.
Grapefruit & Peppermint Essential oils - I purchased from Whole Paycheck.

I poured the fenugreek seeds into a Ball Mason Jar. NO particular measurements. Just covered an inch of the bottom of the jar. I'd say two inches.

Added the Coconut and Almond oils. Added three tablespoons of the amla and henna powders. I will add my essential oils later.

So for now, I have a jar of sliced garlic gloves infusing in Olive Oil in a mason jar as well as the Fenugreek mixture in another mason jar in a crock pot (with water filled half way) on Medium. Both jars are sealed. Both jars will infuse in the crock pot (I have a large one) until late tonight. Then I'll infuse them again tomorrow. I don't feel comfortable leaving it on while I'm sleeping :)

I can tell you now that I have used this before and it worked. I'll add my essential oils later. Anyway, I'll take some of the oil from the Fenugreek and some of the garlic oil (using a dropper because garlic oil is potent) and blend them together in a applicator bottle. From there, I can add my grapefruit (for scent) and peppermint essential oils (for the tinglies lolol).

I started to infuse some Ginger in olive oil, but I didn't feel like it, but Ginger and Garlic by themselves work wonders. So just imagine if you add those two ingredients to your mixture. Bombtastic, ladies! Once I blend my oils together, the garlic is hardly noticeable. I don't add too much, because believe me, when you take that top off of that garlic oil.....chile.....

Garlic is good for shedding, strength and fast growth.

I didn't feel like adding Castor oil and everything else because for my hair, it's not necessary. Plus, I don't like Castor oil. It's too thick for me.

Okay looks like I need to get some ginger for infusing in my oil. I really love ginger, period!

ThatJerseyGirl

Okay looks like I need to get some ginger for infusing in my oil. I really love ginger, period!

If you infuse some sliced garlic cloves in olive oil and sliced ginger in olive oil in conjunction with the fenugreek, you have a winner!

I just did a few teaspoons and added it to my fenugreek mix. I don't smell the garlic at all because I use the grapefruit essential oil in addition to the peppermint oil. Smells wonderful to me and my scalp loves it. I oil every day. I'm in a protective style, by the way. Full weave. I just removed it and did a henna treatment the day before yesterday. So far, so good.

Also, that mix has given me some new growth in a short period of time too. Maybe because I use it everyday. I put the mix in an applicator bottle purchased from Sally's. It has a tiny pin hole opening, so only a small amount is dispersed. I love this stuff!

How do you infuse your mix? I put my ingredients in a mason jar and infused in a large crock pot with water on medium for two days. I cut it off at night for safety purposes. You'll know when it's done when the fenugreek has a reddish color and the garlic looks toasty in color.

Aggie

If you infuse some sliced garlic cloves in olive oil and sliced ginger in olive oil in conjunction with the fenugreek, you have a winner!

I just did a few teaspoons and added it to my fenugreek mix. I don't smell the garlic at all because I use the grapefruit essential oil in addition to the peppermint oil. Smells wonderful to me and my scalp loves it. I oil every day. I'm in a protective style, by the way. Full weave. I just removed it and did a henna treatment the day before yesterday. So far, so good.

Also, that mix has given me some new growth in a short period of time too. Maybe because I use it everyday. I put the mix in an applicator bottle purchased from Sally's. It has a tiny pin hole opening, so only a small amount is dispersed. I love this stuff!

How do you infuse your mix? I put my ingredients in a mason jar and infused in a large crock pot with water on medium for two days. I cut it off at night for safety purposes. You'll know when it's done when the fenugreek has a reddish color and the garlic looks toasty in color.
Thanks hon :kiss:. Appreciate this so much. I have infused garlic in oil for shedding before but not ginger. I had both onion and garlic essential oils but I dunno, they didn't seem to work like I'd hope, plus the onion oil was intensely smelly.

Currently I infuse using a candle warmer in a jar with a locking lid similar to the one Curly Proverbz uses to infuse her oils.

ThatJerseyGirl

Thanks hon :kiss:. Appreciate this so much. I have infused garlic in oil for shedding before but not ginger. I had both onion and garlic essential oils but I dunno, they didn't seem to work like I'd hope, plus the onion oil was intensely smelly.

Currently I infuse using a candle warmer in a jar with a locking lid similar to the one Curly Proverbz uses to infuse her oils.

I've read that the garlic essential oils do not work the same as pure garlic. Doesn't have the same properties, which is why it probably didn't work. Plus, the garlic essential oil is pungent as hell.....

I had just stumbled upon Ginger acting as growth for hair some time ago. I always wanted to try and never did until recently.

Aggie

I just applied and massaged my CP Ayurveda Growth Oil for 5 minutes, moisturized my ends with APB Moisturizing Hair Lotion and Inverted for 5 minutes.

Day 5 of my Inversion for the month of November is complete.

douglala

My new third batch smells divine. I'll apply some tonight and massage it into my scalp using my vibrating scalp massager. I feel so thankful to God for blessing us with amazing and divine oils for our hair and body and health. He's a good God. :smile:

Also, mainly because I enjoy playing and experimenting, I'm going to make some of Chicoro's Moisture-drenched Prepoo using the oil! :love: I will compare the effects/results/experience with the commercial prepoos that are in the mail and on the way. :yep:

Here's the link to the thread post: https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/you-need-a-moisture-drenched-pre-poo.509482/

Here's the recipe in the OP. For "your favorite oil," I'll be using my CurlyProverbz oil. :smile:

Ingredients you will need:

In a bowl mix

· ½ cup of aloe vera juice or whole leaf aloe vera

· 1-2 tablespoons of your favorite oil (wheat germ, olive, safflower, walnut etc)

In a separate Bowl melt

· Food grade coconut oil (1/4 cup)
Old post but what did you put in your oil to get the divine smell?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Old post but what did you put in your oil to get the divine smell?

Hi! :wavey:

Sorry for the late reply.

I thought it was because I use Jamaican Mango and Lime brand castor oil (the vitamin A, D, E one), but now I'm starting to think it's just that I like the smell of the oil mix/recipe. Lol. I'm now starting to wonder whether mine smells all that different from everyone else's.

douglala

Hi! :wavey:

Sorry for the late reply.

I thought it was because I use Jamaican Mango and Lime brand castor oil (the vitamin A, D, E one), but now I'm starting to think it's just that I like the smell of the oil mix/recipe. Lol. I'm now starting to wonder whether mine smells all that different from everyone else's.

Lol. Ok thanks!

Honey Bee

@ThatJerseyGirl @Aggie Be careful with that homemade garlic oil. I wanted to make some for cooking but when I did the research, they were like, beware of botulism! :shocked: Horrified (and glad I had been to lazy to start the oil yet :look:), I looked some more and sho nuff:

The ABCs of Making Garlic-Infused Olive Oil
Clostridium Botulinum, the microorganism that causes botulism, is present in soil, which means it can also find its way into vegetables and herbs. It's anaerobic, which means it thrives in an oxygen-free environment like oil.

Image via bepast.org
When making garlic-infused olive oil, you need heat to kill any botulinum spores that may be present in the garlic. In other words, do NOT drop a few raw garlic cloves in some oil and call it a day.

Fortunately, the risks of getting botulism poisoning are very small. The Centers for Disease Control estimates that there are about 145 cases of it annually in the U.S., and only 15% of those are food-related. However, you really don't want to take any risks.

The University of Maine recommends that you only use dried garlic, spices, and herbs to make infused oils. Check out our guide to preserving and drying fresh herbs at home for an even more DIY approach.

However, we think that if you take the proper precautions, you can easily make garlic-infused olive oil that will be nothing but delightful for you and your tummy. Plus, it tastes so much better when made with fresh garlic.

https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/make-garlic-infused-olive-oil-vinegar-home-0153966/

Honey Bee

I rinsed as much of the oil out as I could in the sink than washed my hair in sections with my homemade shampoo clay bars that I've been itching to try. I used 1/2 cup of this DIY oil in the mixture so I'm getting this oil in on every step. LOL.
No you cannot just sneak that in there and walk away! :lol: You must tell us everything. I need this in my life. Pls and tia. :yep:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
No you cannot just sneak that in there and walk away! :lol: You must tell us everything. I need this in my life. Pls and tia. :yep:

@Honey Bee

Sadly, I don't remember. :cry3: That was before I started writing down and documenting my attempts.

But here are some videos explaining the process I plan on using with my shampoo bars going forward. The first video will explain the SoapCalc.net website and how to come up with a formulation. The 2nd video shows her actually doing the cold soap making process. *You would add your clays at the point where she is adding her essential oils after the trace phase*.

I just finalized my formulation on SoapCalc.net but I have not made the shampoo bars yet. I'm waiting on a few more supplies to be delivered. But from playing around with the site, a tip when choosing your oils would be to include coconut oil as your largest percentage as it seems to have the most cleansing abilities yet least conditioning abilities. Then include castor oil as your next highest oil as it will provide the most conditioning, creaminess and bubbles yet it has 0 cleansing capabilities.

If all of this is extra AF to you as it was to me when I first watched her videos back when she released them;:lachen:you could always just buy some melt and pour bases then add whatever clay/powder you want before pouring them into molds. I prefer to make mine from scratch as I want to take learning about and making my own hair care products into my own hands and not be so dependent upon these ever changing companies.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@Honey Bee

Sadly, I don't remember. :cry3: That was before I started writing down and documenting my attempts.

But here are some videos explaining the process I plan on using with my shampoo bars going forward. The first video will explain the SoapCalc.net website and how to come up with a formulation. The 2nd video shows her actually doing the cold soap making process. *You would add your clays at the point where she is adding her essential oils after the trace phase*.

I just finalized my formulation on SoapCalc.net but I have not made the shampoo bars yet. I'm waiting on a few more supplies to be delivered. But from playing around with the site, a tip when choosing your oils would be to include coconut oil as your largest percentage as it seems to have the most cleansing abilities yet least conditioning abilities. Then include castor oil as your next highest oil as it will provide the most conditioning, creaminess and bubbles yet it has 0 cleansing capabilities.

If all of this is extra AF to you as it was to me when I first watched her videos back when she released them;:lachen:you could always just buy some melt and pour bases then add whatever clay/powder you want before pouring them into molds. I prefer to make mine from scratch as I want to take learning about and making my own hair care products into my own hands and not be so dependent upon these ever changing companies.

I am soooooooooooooooooooo here, @ElevatedEnergy. Thank you so much for sharing.

I am unable to purchase my holy grail shampoo bar as of today (the maker has said she will commence to selling it again, but I'm BEYOND frustrated). I am SO DONE depending on companies. My goal right now is for commercial products to become OPTIONAL for me.

The ingredients list to my holy grail shampoo bar is so long, but I'm going to hack that bar. :yep:

It's going to take me awhile to get there, but I will get there. And I don't care if it's "extra" at the moment. I feel like these companies are being extra.

Honey Bee

@Honey Bee

Thank you so much! No, it's not extra af, you know how we are about our hair! :lol:

I won't even tell yall (@YvetteWithJoy) how. much. money. I spent in the last few days. :nono: I'm trynna transition to making all of our personal care products (minus the toothpaste, lol), so I basically bought samples of everything ever invented. :lol: I bought a few bases (including a deodorant base!) to tide us over until I'm making everything from scratch. So no, not extra at all. :lol:

Looks like I have some yt'ing to do. Thanks sis. :grouphug:

Aggie

I am soooooooooooooooooooo here, @ElevatedEnergy. Thank you so much for sharing.

I am unable to purchase my holy grail shampoo bar as of today (the maker has said she will commence to selling it again, but I'm BEYOND frustrated). I am SO DONE depending on companies. My goal right now is for commercial products to become OPTIONAL for me.

The ingredients list to my holy grail shampoo bar is so long, but I'm going to hack that bar. :yep:

It's going to take me awhile to get there, but I will get there. And I don't care if it's "extra" at the moment. I feel like these companies are being extra.

Agreed with @bolded @YvetteWithJoy

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Thank you so much! No, it's not extra af, you know how we are about our hair! :lol:

I won't even tell yall (@YvetteWithJoy) how. much. money. I spent in the last few days. :nono: I'm trynna transition to making all of our personal care products (minus the toothpaste, lol), so I basically bought samples of everything ever invented. :lol: I bought a few bases (including a deodorant base!) to tide us over until I'm making everything from scratch. So no, not extra at all. :lol:

Looks like I have some yt'ing to do. Thanks sis. :grouphug:

Go, @Honey Bee! I'm excited for you. Should be fun!!!

When I invest money in me, it tells me I'm valuing myself. I have learned to understand that instead of thinking, "I could have bought some ___ with that." Yeah. I'm important enough to invest in this healthy hair journey. :yep: I'll buy a few less Chick-Fil-A meals. LOL. It's all good.

All that to say, you are MORE than worth the funds you just invested. More. :yep: :kiss:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I'm glad you Ladies found the info helpful @Honey Bee @YvetteWithJoy @Aggie

I've been able to create and perfect a few post wash day products this year as well as some body products.

*3 different head to toe body creams that can be used on the body as well as deep conditioner boosters.
*An Ayurvedic buttercream
*6 different Ayurvedic & loose leaf tea blends
*An Ayurvedic Herbal oil

The goal in 2018 is to create and perfect a cleanser & conditioner. If I can get those down early in the year, I can build from there and make different versions.

I honestly have met and exceeded my hair length and health goals so all of this creating keeps things interesting. Plus it's dope learning all of this stuff and being self sufficient.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@Honey Bee

@fifigirl Here you go Sis!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Do you know the ph of your soap? I was reading swiftcraftymonkey and she was saying that usually 'cold processed soap' (?) has too high of a ph to be 'good' for hair. But if you're using it with no trouble, you must have other ph ameliorating steps in your reggie. :scratchchin: Just trynna figure this out.

I'm assuming the article is referring to the point at which it's safe to use the soap?
Hot processing the soap means you can use it right away as the PH will be lowered and the saponification process complete by the time you get to the point at which you pour. Whereas cold processing means the PH won't be lowered and the saponification process complete until 24-48 hours after you pour. I just don't see the benefit in hot processing over cold because no matter what, you would still need to pour the soap in a mold and allow it to set to take on a shape...which takes around 24 hours usually. Hot processing just seems like a whole lotta extra work in which we are still arriving at the same destination.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Forgive me for not answering your question @Honey Bee I'm half asleep with a hungry baby sucking all the life out of my boobs at the moment! LOL

But no, I do not know the PH of my soap. It seems as if all shampoo bars have a higher PH than liquid shampoo. I'm assuming that's just the nature of using the saponification process period. I will be adding powdered aloe vera after my trace phase to aid in balancing the ph some. But as we know, PH can be balanced at any point in your regimen, so don't let that deter you from making your soap. That's the same as people that use other high PH things like clays and baking soda...you just have to balance it back out.