Thoughts On This Homemade Hair Growth Oil???

Daina

Here is my one month update. I think I got a decent boost of growth. I'm 6 months pregnant so my waist is slowly disappearing but my braidouts are inching down there to it. I will update again at the 3 month of usage timeframe.

View attachment 399923

@lulu97, beautiful as always sis! You look great for 6 months, have you popped yet? I suspect I got a boost of growth but I'm trimming off the last of my heat damage so it will be hard to tell.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@lulu97, beautiful as always sis! You look great for 6 months, have you popped yet? I suspect I got a boost of growth but I'm trimming off the last of my heat damage so it will be hard to tell.

Thank you Sis! Yeah my belly is out there now LOL

image.jpg

My belly button hasn't popped out yet...it's just super stretched out & flat. Looks really weird. LOL

Last edited:

tapioca_pudding

@lulu97 you look amazeballs!! :love: Seriously!!! And that growth.. lemme go back to your original reciepe to see what I need to pick up. :lol:

I started using the infusion I made and I really enjoy it so far. I didn't add any indian powders to this mix, but I bought some over the weekend (amla, brahmi, rose) to add to my next mix, plus some Vatika oil to try (though I don't think I like the smell of Vatika).

I used my current oil on my scalp and as a prepoo and I love it both ways. :yay: My batch yielded a bit over 4 oz, which I actually think might work since I'll be using it as a pre-poo as well. I'll see.

I'll start infusing another batch this weekend once I get a couple more oils restocked. This one is ever so slightly greasy so I need to tweak it a bit.

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Thank you Ladies. :2inlove:

This is my recipe:
1 ounce each:
Grapeseed oil
Rice bran oil
Avocado oil
Apricot oil
Extra dark JBCO
*Any oil of choosing

1 tablespoon of Monoi Tahiti coconut

*Last batch, I used Meadowfoam seed oil...this batch I used hemp seed oil instead. I want to leave one of the oils open to be switched out so my scalp won't get used to the formula.

The powders I used are:
Plastic spoonful each of henna, amla & Brahmi in a coffee filter to make for easy discarding. I also have some bhringraj powder but I haven't opened it yet.

I infuse all of this with a tablespoon of loose leaf herbs for 1 to 2 weeks in my window sill. I use herbs instead of essential oils because I find that EO's irritate my scalp if I continuously apply them without rinsing them out within a day or two.

I wait and add the fenugreek seeds because they tend to swell and soak up some of the oil. A day before I know I'm going to use it, I add 1/4 cup of fenugreek seeds then infuse on top of my candle warmer for 8 to 24 hours. Strain with a cheesecloth then add 1/8 teaspoon MSM and a few squirts of Vitamin E to the finished product.

*****For the herbs****
1 tablespoon of any herb known for growth/ healthy scalp care. Last batch, I used horsetail...this batch, I used nettle. I love playing around in herbs and will probably always switch those up too.

I know the oil is ready when it starts to darken and take on the color of the powders. The measurements I listed usually net about 5 ounces of oil (after the fenugreek seeds soak up some) however I use some of it to blend in a hair cream for my ends.

image.jpg

The oil and cream are the only 2 products I use in my hair now (post wash).

I think the MSM and the fenugreek seeds are the stars of the show and where the extra growth comes from. The main oils I chose are what my scalp agrees with and are the non-greasy oils for me. Sure the herbs, powders and any oils will help too but as long as you do the seeds and MSM, I think any mix will work.

Lastly all of this sounds like a lot but it's really not...just throwing some stuff in a jar. LOL :lachen:

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@lulu97 thank you for being so descriptive! How do you turn your oil into a cream consistency? I think curlyproverbz adds coconut oil and whips it.

@beauti Anytime Sis!

To make the cream, I melt down some butters on top of my candle warmer in a Pyrex glass container. Once it's a liquid, I add in equal amounts of oil then whip it in a food processor. I find that gives me the creamiest texture.

I use equal amounts oil & butter. Usually 2 ounces of both depending on how much oil the fenugreek seeds have soaked up from the original recipe. For butters: shea & mango. (I always used those) But I do have kokum, cocoa & capuacu and I rotate throwing just a wee bit of one of those in there too since they are harder in texture. Mixing in a hard butter keeps it creamy but solid if that makes sense.

*this is the recipe I used on my last 2 creams.

Last edited:

Dee-Licious

Still using and loving my own take on her original recipe. I use it on my scalp every 2-3 days and the matching cream I made to compliment it twice a week on my length and ends after spraying my hair with a distilled water/glycerin mix. My scalp drinks this stuff up and the matching cream just soaks in my hair and allows my fingers to glide down with no tangles. I think the fenugreek seeds add extra detangling benefits. Both products (oil & cream) are staples now!
Did you find another base besides the cocoa wafers for your cream?

My fine hair can't take an oil, but a cream would probably work.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Did you find another base besides the cocoa wafers for your cream?

My fine hair can't take an oil, but a cream would probably work.

That cocoa butter on its own was way too heavy for my hair and it was extremely hard to rinse out so I only used it a few times.

Out of all the butters I've tried, I like mango butter the best. It's not as heavy as the rest and it sinks in my hair and skin. For this upcoming batch, I plan to only use mango butter. I'm going to use the rest of the butters I have to make body butters in the cooler months.

I would suggest trying mango butter to see how you like it.

Jade Feria

My oil is the bee's knees! My wash days are 10x easier now. I apply the oil to my scalp while in braids every 2, sometimes 3 days. Detangling is like butter, and my hair is cooperating with most of my products, even the ones that were just ok before I started using the oil. Definitely noticing some growth and thickness, less shedding (I added sulphur since making the original batch). Postpartum shedding snatched my edges, and now they're looking like they have some hope!

Here's how my edges were in 2014:
Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 1.30.17 AM.png

After PP shedding, top pic is on May 12, about 5 days since I started using the oil.
Bottom pic is yesterday, June 1. About 3 weeks using the oil.
(I actually switch the direction of my cornrows every week on wash day, it just happened to end up in the same direction when I decided to take these pictures.)

Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 1.34.47 AM.png

Dee-Licious

Great growth!!! Shooooooot what's your recipe/process?
My oil is the bee's knees! My wash days are 10x easier now. I apply the oil to my scalp while in braids every 2, sometimes 3 days. Detangling is like butter, and my hair is cooperating with most of my products, even the ones that were just ok before I started using the oil. Definitely noticing some growth and thickness, less shedding (I added sulphur since making the original batch). Postpartum shedding snatched my edges, and now they're looking like they have some hope!

Jade Feria

Great growth!!! Shooooooot what's your recipe/process?

These are the oils/powders I mixed together. Later I added about 1/4 teaspoon of sulphur that was in a bottle of MTG that I had.

For growth, I just apply it to my scalp using an applicator bottle every 2-3 days. I wear a wig 99% of the time.

A couple of weeks ago I made a huge batch of oil with the following:

Amla Powder
Brahmi Powder
Coconut Oil
JBCO
Grapeseed Oil
Almond Oil
Vitamin E Oil
Jojoba Oil
Argan Oil
Lavender
Tea Tree Oil
Red Palm Oil (not too much, it can stain)

Also threw in a bit of Shikakai Oil and Vatika Frosting from Hairveda, and APB Ayurvedic Oil

For the Indian powders, I used this method: http://www.pinkchailiving.com/make-amla-oil-home/

I have about 40oz, and have been using it on my scalp, and as a sealant, prepoo & oil rinse.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing

Here's how my edges were in 2014:
View attachment 400589

After PP shedding, top pic is on May 12, about 5 days since I started using the oil.
Bottom pic is yesterday, June 1. About 3 weeks using the oil.
(I actually switch the direction of my cornrows every week on wash day, it just happened to end up in the same direction when I decided to take these pictures.)
View attachment 400591

Nice progress!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Thanks lulu! It's so embarrassing that my hair got to that point.

No need to be embarrassed Sis! Postpartum shedding stole my edges too...I mean it snatched me all the way bald! I feel like they just got their fullness back and I anticipate them being snatched bald again once the baby comes. Well at least we got something solid to get us back to a full hairline again. LOL

Jade Feria

No need to be embarrassed Sis! Postpartum shedding stole my edges too...I mean it snatched me all the way bald! I feel like they just got their fullness back and I anticipate them being snatched bald again once the baby comes. Well at least we got something solid to get us back to a full hairline again. LOL
Girl, yes! I'd be out here looking crazy in these streets if it weren't for all the information I've gleaned on THIS forum through the years. Thank you for your support sis! I did everything I could to prevent/stop PP shedding, but I guess it was inevitable.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I ran out of oil yesterday and the current one infusing is not ready yet *gasps and passes out* LOL

Gonna sit my current batch on top of my candle warmer for the next few days to speed up the infusion process. Someone mentioned before that they always have an infusion going so they never run out. That was a good point so as soon as I strain and bottle this batch, I'm gonna go ahead and start a new infusion.

I also ran out of the matching cream yesterday so I used my DIY body balm on my ends instead. My ends are nice and smooth this morning.