Thoughts on this moisturizing technique? “the drench method”

KaciaLN12

This makes sense as a quick, moisture-infusion method. Especially if used with silicone, mineral oil and petroleum-free products. I wouldn’t try this anytime soon, though. I found that I have increased my moisture levels exponentially by just applying my leave-in in the shower, layering products (LCO method) during wash day, and staying on a consistent weekly wash schedule that includes shampoo and deep conditioning. I no longer have to moisturize during the week, at all.

Newhottie

Project Back to fabulousness
Hey y’all,

i came across this stylist in my area that has an interesting technique for moisturizing the hair. I say interesting because I have never seen a stylist that requests this of her clients. And all of her clients hair is flawless too :drool:

Here’s some videos of her explaining the method, but I’ll also summarize it below if you don’t want to watch

Basically her method is: after conditioning /deep conditioning do not rinse the product out of your hair. Just twist up/braid up/bun your hair with the product in. After it has completely dried, in a few days, take your hair down and drench it in a cheapie regular old, conditioner (dilute with water if it’s too thick). She says to repeat this process 1-2x a week, for a 2-3 week period. After the 2-3week period is when you would do a full wash day and shampoo again. She will water rinse in between if she feels her hair start to build up excess conditioner before wash day.
on her booking site she actually asks all clients to come in with their hair drenched in conditioner as well. I’ve never heard of a stylist making such a request. But her clients have amazing hair. She also posts a lot of before and afters and her clients hair has really grown out under her care

what do you yall think of this method?
I can dig this. Really. I like that you let the hair dry out first before remoisturising. I may do this after my weekly DC and then use my chebe mask with some protein for the wash day at 2-3 weeks.

Right now I use a liquid leave in with biotin from Happy Devas and seal with almond oil every other day.

I DC/cow ash every week to 10 days. Just bunning my hair so this should work pretty well.

I do use HD growth serum nightly and taking vitamins too

Mapleoats

I can dig this. Really. I like that you let the hair dry out first before remoisturising. I may do this after my weekly DC and then use my chebe mask with some protein for the wash day at 2-3 weeks.

Right now I use a liquid leave in with biotin from Happy Devas and seal with almond oil every other day.

I DC/cow ash every week to 10 days. Just bunning my hair so this should work pretty well.

I do use HD growth serum nightly and taking vitamins too
Let me know how it goes for you when you try it out! I haven’t yet but still plan on doing this end of Nov/ beginning of December

Newhottie

Let me know how it goes for you when you try it out! I haven’t yet but still plan on doing this end of Nov/ beginning of December

Started today. I usually prepoo as D.C. so used a moisturising pre poo for 45 mins, then shampoo-ed and put in a reconstructive dc as she described. It’s in a loose bun and almost dry now hair feels very moisturised, will revamp in about 3 days as per instructions.

Mapleoats

I drenched my week old rollerset hair today with CRN coconut Style setter (trying to use it up) my hair is in some chunky twists, I’ll probably wash on Sunday. If I don’t rollerset then I’ll leave my DC in and twist my hair again.
Not following exactly as described but this works for me

Flower7

Hey y’all,

i came across this stylist in my area that has an interesting technique for moisturizing the hair. I say interesting because I have never seen a stylist that requests this of her clients. And all of her clients hair is flawless too :drool:

Here’s some videos of her explaining the method, but I’ll also summarize it below if you don’t want to watch

Basically her method is: after conditioning /deep conditioning do not rinse the product out of your hair. Just twist up/braid up/bun your hair with the product in. After it has completely dried, in a few days, take your hair down and drench it in a cheapie regular old, conditioner (dilute with water if it’s too thick). She says to repeat this process 1-2x a week, for a 2-3 week period. After the 2-3week period is when you would do a full wash day and shampoo again. She will water rinse in between if she feels her hair start to build up excess conditioner before wash day.
on her booking site she actually asks all clients to come in with their hair drenched in conditioner as well. I’ve never heard of a stylist making such a request. But her clients have amazing hair. She also posts a lot of before and afters and her clients hair has really grown out under her care

what do you yall think of this method?
This seems like a good idea for constant moisture. My biggest issue with trying this would be that the conditioner would probably show. Especially with dark hair, streaks of white conditioner seems like it would be very visible.

Mapleoats

This seems like a good idea for constant moisture. My biggest issue with trying this would be that the conditioner would probably show. Especially with dark hair, streaks of white conditioner seems like it would be very visible.
The conditioner should be completely absorbed within a few hours. If you have visible conditioner still on your hair for longer than that it means the product you’re using is too thick.

snoop

If you are using so much product often, what is the difference between having damp hair and moisturized hair? Does your hair reach a point where it can't accept more water/product?

(I only read her posts, I didn't watch the videos)

Mapleoats

If you are using so much product often, what is the difference between having damp hair and moisturized hair? Does your hair reach a point where it can't accept more water/product?

So, she says in the video that if she feels like she is getting build up she’ll water rinse the excess product away before applying more product. Lol. This is kind of where I have hang ups with the method as well.

my thoughts are— the purpose of using a conditioner would be to slow the loss of water from the hair, keeping it moisturized for longer, while also conditioning and smoothing the hair surface. Since conditioner is (in simple terms) a mix of oil, water, and conditioning/penetrating ingredients, the water and penetrating ingredients would get absorbed by the hair (or evaporate), whereas the coating oils/ingredients would remain on top. I think re wetting hair that already has conditioner on it would rehydrate, and any oils still sitting on the strand would still help to slow the evaporation of water. but I’d assume that the conditioning/penetrating ingredients from the first application would no longer be present. You would need to add more conditioner for that (assuming the hair isn’t already totally coated by oils).

so that’s basically a long way of saying that yes I think there would be benefit to reapplying conditioner after the hair has dried out. However, i don’t think you would need as much conditioner on subsequent applications, I think mostly water and some conditioner added on top would be good enough. And yeah I think eventually after a few applications you will reach a point where your hair can’t accept any more product and you would need to water rinse at the very least, or use shampoo. But everyone’s hair is different and this will also be affected by what/how much product you’re using.

This is all just my personal opinion though, and I haven’t really tried this enough to test my theories yet :)

Theresamonet

Yes it can. That’s when you get moisture overload/ hygral fatigue. Hair is not supposed to be constantly wet. You can compromise the integrity of your strands.

lorr1e1

4C (natural) currently relaxed (Mizani)
I remember Nicki Clarke who style some famous people hair in UK years ago said to wash out only 80%of the conditioner. How you gauge what that looks like is anyone's guess. I would not do it as there are plenty of other products you can put on instead.

TLC1020

Whatever she doing, it's working for her clients.

I personally could not do that as I do not wear styles that will allow daily drench.
I do drench my conditioner on wash day though, I shampoo, then while applying the conditioner, I part section by section as if I am oiling my scalp and apply cream conditioner, smooth conditioner all the way through my hair then apply plastic cap. I sometimes sit under hood dryer and other times I just leave conditioner on for a few hours and my hair is so soft afterwards, I only shampoo & deep condition (drench) my hair once a week though.

Newhottie

Okay I’ve done 2 weeks on this, refreshing every 2-3 days. I had build up so rinsed our with water halfway and loaded up more deep conditioner. I used Happy Devas natural conditioner and alternated with Mane n tail herbal deep conditioner Aussie smooth mask.

My hair felt a bit strawy by the end-likely too many protein based dcs. I shampooed today and used a Mane n tail moisturising deep conditioner for the dc this time. My hair is so silky (type 4) curls are popping will stick with this until Spring.

I find by the second week my hair shrinks A LOT I will stick to her recommendations until January and see before doing any tweaks.

Mapleoats

Okay I’ve done 2 weeks on this, refreshing every 2-3 days. I had build up so rinsed our with water halfway and loaded up more deep conditioner. I used Happy Devas natural conditioner and alternated with Mane n tail herbal deep conditioner Aussie smooth mask.

My hair felt a bit strawy by the end-likely too many protein based dcs. I shampooed today and used a Mane n tail moisturising deep conditioner for the dc this time. My hair is so silky (type 4) curls are popping will stick with this until Spring.

I find by the second week my hair shrinks A LOT I will stick to her recommendations until January and see before doing any tweaks
Nice update! I think you aren’t to leave the protein DCs in for too long, so yeah that might have been what made your hair feel hard.

metro_qt

I believe it. I have left my hair saturated in conditioner for a full week at a time under a wig, in twists or in a protective style and it stayed damp all week(naturally air drying just holding moisture until damp over a week's time). It is very moisturizing and has benefits if your scalp doesn't get irritated. It's not a regular method I would use though. I like to enjoy my hair styled. I don't do it exactly like her. My hair is "drenched with a deep conditioner" for the first two days and I let it air dry to prevent milewy hair or the need to reapply product while maintaining low manipulation. . I have used keeping my hair damp or "drench" with product most when growing my hair out out, hiding my hair or being pregnant(and not having the energy for hair) with success. Keeping your hair damp/super moisturized or drenched will have your hair feeling like fresh weave after a few sessions of that when you finally do style it.
This is what I do... In fact, I'm in the middle of an overnight deep condition now... I might as well take my cap off and let my hair live for the rest of the week like this....

Last edited:

Mapleoats

Bumping

@Mapleoats Did you ever visit the stylist?

@Newhottie Did you stick with this routine?
No I didn’t, my appointment was cancelled due to lockdown and I never rebooked. I do still feel like the method has merit though. my hair looked and felt super healthy when I was (loosely) following this method for a few months.

i plan to start it up again soon

snoop

No I didn’t, my appointment was cancelled due to lockdown and I never rebooked. I do still feel like the method has merit though. my hair looked and felt super healthy when I was (loosely) following this method for a few months.

i plan to start it up again soon

Bumping to see if you ever made it to this salon.