THREAD for no reason - Random Hair Thoughts Here

preciousjewel76

Treasure2k6 said:
Howcome my sisters always refer to hair products such as Garnier,Aphogee,Redken,Biosilk, Sunsilk, NTM and etc etc,,,,,as being made for caucasions? Howcome they feel that hair products has to deal with race or nationality?

They just don't know better.:ohwell: I remember that before I came to this board, I would have laughed at the idea of using a V05 or Suave conditioner! I figured since I had "black" hair, I had to use "black" hair care products. Now I know that it's more about the ingredients than the brand. A lot of those "black" products we've used for years have been murdering our hair.

Now I don't have a problem with shopping for Garnier or Suave or whatever. Black folks still give me funny looks when they ring these products up at the register though.:look:

SUPER SWEET

hair thought of the day...why is it like going to the doctor or job interview when getting a new hairdress :confused: I get all nervous and weird :lol:

envybeauty

Two thoughts:

1) Trimming must be a psychological problem for some. I looked through one sista's Fotki album and in every picture she kept saying she thinks she needs a trim. Mind you, she has barely 3 inches of hair on her head! I wanted to hang a mirror mirror on her wall so that she could ask it how she would look without trimming so much. I would even hold the mirror up for her, tell her to drop the scissors, and tell her myself. My hair is way longer than hers (and so my ends are older than hers) and I do not think about trimming at all. Heck, Sylver said she trimmed like once in a year and her hair is down to her arse! Why then would a sista with barely 3 inches feel the need to trim so darn much....I just don't get it.

2) Some women on here are sacrificing healthy, thick hair for strangley strands just to claim APL< BSL<MBL, whatever L. I look at some pictures and I am like 'are you serious?'! Who thinks 10 strands down their back is cute? My hair is thick at APL and I love it. If it were to grow out thin to BSL, I would have to cut it. It is so much nicer to see a thick head of hair that is APL or even SL than stingy strands down someone's back just so that they can say, 'my hair is long'. Sometimes, I think my thin sistas would benefit by considering products to help thicken their hair or by creating the illusion of thick hair with some nice long layers. Given the anti-trim mood on this board, I think again.

HoneyDew

nvybeauty said:
Two thoughts:

1) Trimming must be a psychological problem for some. I looked through one sista's Fotki album and in every picture she kept saying she thinks she needs a trim. Mind you, she has barely 3 inches of hair on her head! I wanted to hang a mirror mirror on her wall so that she could ask it how she would look without trimming so much. I would even hold the mirror up for her, tell her to drop the scissors, and tell her myself. My hair is way longer than hers (and so my ends are older than hers) and I do not think about trimming at all. Heck, Sylver said she trimmed like once in a year and her hair is down to her arse! Why then would a sista with barely 3 inches feel the need to trim so darn much....I just don't get it.

2) Some women on here are sacrificing healthy, thick hair for strangley strands just to claim APL< BSL<MBL, whatever L. I look at some pictures and I am like 'are you serious?'! Who thinks 10 strands down their back is cute? My hair is thick at APL and I love it. If it were to grow out thin to BSL, I would have to cut it. It is so much nicer to see a thick head of hair that is APL or even SL than stingy strands down someone's back just so that they can say, 'my hair is long'. Sometimes, I think my thin sistas would benefit by considering products to help thicken their hair or by creating the illusion of thick hair with some nice long layers. Given the anti-trim mood on this board, I think again.

Good points! I have been thinking of the same things! I used to think I needed to trim often, but really keeping my ends extra moist prevents that need. Also, thick even hair is my ultimate goal!! I feel like my photos never show progress because everyone seems to only care about length. But, as I grow out my layers and my hair becomes thicker with more volume and density, I know that it will look good as it creeps down in length.

crlsweetie912

tsmith said:
Here is the link to the anmol coconut oil...I don't think I want that right now but I am getting ready to order some jasmine hair oil and some vatika henna cream conditioning shampoo..anywho here's the link so you can see the anmol oil
http://store.asianfoodcompany.com/healthline-oils.html and I'm also not ordering from them because there's cheaper websites that sell these products.

*check this website out* http://www.eastwestbazaar.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Dabur&sid=23102f4a984a2d5562bdda34a2f60968&x=6&y=4 now I'm getting ready to order this anmol coconut oil..and they're stuff are really cheap*

I have the anmol and I ordered from east west bazaar too! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!:D

Bosslady1

I am here just thinking about how much longer will my hair really be when I relax it next month...:confused: cause I still got a looonnng way to go.

crlsweetie912

There is this chick at church who I would swear is an LHCF'er. Except her hair is THIRSTY! I wish I had her length but her hair has absolutely no shine and looks dull and damaged. She wears it up in a donut bun 99.9999% of the time ( I wish I could do it for her cause it's never smooth and neat) but this past Sunday she wore it down and it's Midback lenght :eek: . The length is beautiful and I asked her what was her secret and she just shrugged her shoulders! :perplexed But I had the bomb style yesterday and my hair is hella healthy and had BLINGAGE for days! I'll show her! :(

LocksOfLuV

nvybeauty said:
Two thoughts:

UMM OKAY!! I always wondered that. Makes no sense to me.

LocksOfLuV

crlsweetie912 said:
There is this chick at church who I would swear is an LHCF'er. Except her hair is THIRSTY! I wish I had her length but her hair has absolutely no shine and looks dull and damaged. She wears it up in a donut bun 99.9999% of the time ( I wish I could do it for her cause it's never smooth and neat) but this past Sunday she wore it down and it's Midback lenght :eek: . The length is beautiful and I asked her what was her secret and she just shrugged her shoulders! :perplexed But I had the bomb style yesterday and my hair is hella healthy and had BLINGAGE for days! I'll show her! :(

She can't be on LHCF being that damn stingy!

LocksOfLuV

I wonder what people be thinking about how I look. My head looks hella huge with this 10 week worth of newgrowth and this old lady bun cover and hair pins to secure the sides.

People be calling me "ma'am." I feel old/matronly.:(

Dee-Licious

LocksOfLuV said:
I wonder what people be thinking about how I look. My head looks hella huge with this 10 week worth of newgrowth and this old lady bun cover and hair pins to secure the sides.

People be calling me "ma'am." I feel old/matronly.:(

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

I wanna wash and rollerset to have swangin' hair for a certain class tomorrow. 85% of the class has pretty hair and I wanna pull my hair done and show these heiffas mine might not be pretty as theirs but I am working with something.

JustKiya

Okay - why was I checking out of the grocery store on Saturday, and the cashier and the bagger were talking to each other about hair. Now mind you, the cashier had some to' up, ate out, chewed up, golden blond hair that BARELY covered her ears, and the ends were still thin, and looked like she was developing a lil male pattern baldness round her hairline.
The bagger asked her if she used hot oil treatments, and she responded "Uh-uh girl, I don't put none of that mess in my hair - you just gotta train your hair right. I put in relaxer and color my hair right after each other, been doing it for 23 years, and my hair has just gotten used to it. You gotta train your hair, just like a child - train it to take it..."

My jaw damn near hit the floor. 23 YEARS of coloring and relaxing on top of each other? Damn, no wonder her hair was looking a hot mess. And the bagger - she had some nice hair too - full hairline, and had her hair pulled back into a lil ponytail - it was most likely about shoulder length. I wished I had some LHCF cards to hand out to both of them - I mean, she might have dug having pixie length hair all the time....but *shakes head* It's a shame.

I've found myself, whenever I'm out, checking out my sista's hair - and in general, it's a damn SHAME - as much as we care about our hair, you would THINK we would figure out how to make it look good - but *shakes head* nope, nope, nope - even the babies hair is jacked!

Bosslady1

nappywomyn said:
Okay - why was I checking out of the grocery store on Saturday, and the cashier and the bagger were talking to each other about hair. Now mind you, the cashier had some to' up, ate out, chewed up, golden blond hair that BARELY covered her ears, and the ends were still thin, and looked like she was developing a lil male pattern baldness round her hairline.
The bagger asked her if she used hot oil treatments, and she responded "Uh-uh girl, I don't put none of that mess in my hair - you just gotta train your hair right. I put in relaxer and color my hair right after each other, been doing it for 23 years, and my hair has just gotten used to it. You gotta train your hair, just like a child - train it to take it..."

My jaw damn near hit the floor. 23 YEARS of coloring and relaxing on top of each other? Damn, no wonder her hair was looking a hot mess. And the bagger - she had some nice hair too - full hairline, and had her hair pulled back into a lil ponytail - it was most likely about shoulder length. I wished I had some LHCF cards to hand out to both of them - I mean, she might have dug having pixie length hair all the time....but *shakes head* It's a shame.

I've found myself, whenever I'm out, checking out my sista's hair - and in general, it's a damn SHAME - as much as we care about our hair, you would THINK we would figure out how to make it look good - but *shakes head* nope, nope, nope - even the babies hair is jacked!

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: funny...I think I would of bust out laughing!:lachen: :lachen:

crlsweetie912

LocksOfLuV said:
Forreal man, she made me mad. She know her secret is no manipulation!:mad: That's all she had to say.

No manipulation, no style, no moisture, no oil, etc...

She looks like an old librarian!
Shoot, she don't have to be keeping the secret all to her self!

Bosslady1

nvybeauty said:
Two thoughts:

*Co-Sign!!!:grin:

preciousjewel76

nappywomyn said:

See, that's the problem right there. Too many black women are worried about their hair "looking good" and don't think twice about having healthy hair. "Looking good" to them can mean a bright orange weave, and you can bet they don't take care of the hair underneath.:ohwell:

sxyhairfetish

Im feeling the length of my hair, but I need to regain the thickness from the pp shedding. Castor oil so far hates my hair but i dont wanna give up on it.

Sometimes I get a lil upset when ladies ask me how I grew my hair so long, so fast (they wan't to grow theirs out also), and when I tell them that I deep condition my hair and stretch my perms 3 mos. minimum, they say "giiiirl, my hair is just too nappy to go that long without a perm! I get my usual 6-8 week touchup, and THAS IT! You got that good hair thas y you could do it!" and in response to the weekly washings "Every week? nooooo I can't do that! Black people can't wash their hair that often, you got that good sh*&! you mixed or something???" I say no and they don't beleive me they assume I have indian in me. :mad:

I hate trying to give advice to close minded people.

navsegda

preciousjewel76 said:
See, that's the problem right there. Too many black women are worried about their hair "looking good" and don't think twice about having healthy hair.

What she said.

Dee-Licious

navsegda said:
What she said.

You should sooooooooooo get a cut on the $40 we spending buying bottles of Chi Silk Infusion. I bought 2 bottle b/c or your recc. and rave reviews.

(if you get a cut send a little my way :lachen: )

StartinOvah

naijamerican said:
I have been having the same random hair thought for the past several months (and have even PM'd some people about it) which is, that after 7 years of braids and twists and freedom fros, I'm on the verge of getting a textuizer or wash and wear relaxer. I feel so conflicted about it and I know that I'm thinking about it too much. Sometimes I play like it's not a big deal, like I wrote the lyrics to "I am not my hair" and sold them to India. But in my heart of hearts it is tearing me up. Part of me feels guilty, as if I'm telling God that I don't like what He gave me. Part of me feels excited when I contemplate the styles I can wear that won't take me 3 hours to accomplish.

I guess the real reason I am feeling so torn is because part of the process I have had to go through in accepting myself as a Black woman is rooted in accepting my hair. I am proud of the progress God has helped me make in this area. I now see that all hair, whether natural or relaxed, can and should be beautiful. Plus, seeing all the beautiful, stong Black women with relaxed heads amongst my friends and on this board makes me know that it is not some sort of self-rejection to get a relaxer! Even so, I still feel some type of way. I guess I'm afraid, and I guess I don't really know what I want with my hair. I'm also very physically weary and am already tired from school, and classes just started this week.

Thanks for reading. I just had to share. :(

i feel the same way you do.:perplexed i just bought a phytorelaxer today. i'm still undecided whether or not i should use it when i get home. i'm looking to loosen my curl pattern. but i feel like i'm betraying my blackness:lol:. i know that sounds silly. but i don't know how else to explain it! i've only been a natural since may 06. i feel like i haven't given myself enough time to really really love my hair. i like it a lot lot lot. but i'm not in love when i look in the mirror. i want long straight hair and long curly hair. i want it all!!!

is that too much to ask?:ohwell: just venting....

The Girl

Ok so I went with the roller set used mesh this time. I love them so much better!! I will be seling/exchanging those magnetics I think. But is my scalp suppose to feel hot as all hell while I am under the dryer?

Incredible1ne

Are twists considered a protective style? I did some last night and I think they are but I don't know :ohwell: I was getting bored with the half wigs.

crlsweetie912

JustMeSteph said:
Ok so I went with the roller set used mesh this time. I love them so much better!! I will be seling/exchanging those magnetics I think. But is my scalp suppose to feel hot as all hell while I am under the dryer?

YAY! I love my mesh rollers! They work wonders for me. I could never get magnetics right (the way I wanted to) and I was a licensed cosmetologist. I gotta go to the BSS and get some more!!! Yeah, the metal does get hott!!!!!

LocksOfLuV

MsDee4 said:
:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

I wanna wash and rollerset to have swangin' hair for a certain class tomorrow. 85% of the class has pretty hair and I wanna pull my hair done and show these heiffas mine might not be pretty as theirs but I am working with something.

OMG, sometimes I think like that. The 'long' haired girls at my school be thinking they are hurting the rest of the girls because they are SL. Puhlease! I want someone to come on here and see Sistaslick, SimplyCee, Sylver2 and other LHCFers (with hair shorter or longer) and show them how WE at LHCF really do it!

B

Bublnbrnsuga

I have the true meaning of split ends. Just grab a section and I am bound to see several strands that are split. Oh well.

The Girl

crlsweetie912 said:
YAY! I love my mesh rollers! They work wonders for me. I could never get magnetics right (the way I wanted to) and I was a licensed cosmetologist. I gotta go to the BSS and get some more!!! Yeah, the metal does get hott!!!!!

I think these big purpley ones work the best but they get thosee dents in them. Is there A workaround for this? I hereafter commend all of the ladies that use the magnetics