Thyroid problems and hair growth

mzsophisticated26

Hi Ladies,
I wanted to know if there are any ladies that have successful hair growth with thyroid problems. 2 years into my first HHJ I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis(hypothyroidism). A few months prior I was diagnosed with Centrifugal Alopecia but I found out that it was the thyroid issue causing me to lose hair. I had made a lot of slow but steady progress but my temples and crown just got thinner and thinner due to thyroid and anemia issues. I stopped my HHJ because I got so discouraged with me not being able to enjoy my healthy hair I worked so hard for, I decided to cut it all off last year. But now I am back after a 2 year hiatus and want to start the journey again. I just want some inspiration from some ladies who are going through the same thing. Also, how are you ladies dealing with constant dryness and did you notice you lose a lot more hair? Thanks

Lita

Hi! Sorry to hear this,I'm sending you a big hug...

*10yrs ago,I had radiation for my thyroid & currently take meds,however in the beginning I did lose a lot of hair & I cut it to SL,after my thyroid became stable things started looking better..At times I still have issues,and during fall/winter months I take borage oil,it helps to keep my moisture level's up from inside,drink plenty water,I juice or buy powdered fruit/veggies & take Vits.Spring/summer I juice daily....Power walk 3-4xs a week or some kind of phs-Ed..I wash my hair in sections,make sure to moisturize/seal..I use castor oil off/on for my edges,I spritz my edges daily or any problem area I have.,My hair is in ps most of the time,I do on occasion let it down..Find out what your body needs & try to feed it from inside...I wish you Nonthing but the best..Good Luck....I also limit the amount of junk-food I eat...My hair is not as thick,like pre radiation days,but it's a work in progress...I stay in a lot of challenges on LHCF,it helps keep my game up.

*Check with your doctor before starting any vitamin program....

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:

Lita

Example-It's 5am here..In drinking a bottle of water,took a nice quiet shower & thyroid meds..Having me time helps out a lot,whenever possible...Yoga/meditation too..Stress,induce issues...If you have to go in a room play your favorite tunes/dance it helps to release stress as well...Sounds corny,but it works...

At 7am,I'll eat breakfast/take Vits...My full day begins.

*Try to join support groups in your area or via on-line..It's good to interact with folks that understand..

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:

mzsophisticated26

thank you soooo much...i currently have to take prescription vitamin D due to my levels being really low and i take a prenatal vitamin for my anemia. I know i need to start with more physical activity but i always feel so tired and exhausted. I probably will be having it removed in a few months since its getting larger in size. My hair has always been fine/low density but i was able to get it thicker by texlaxing, limit heat and protective styling. My back of my hair always looked nice but the front is so sparse and bald spots everywhere. I am going to get back into challenges on lhcf because that is how i got my progess before. I just know i will always have to wear clip ins for the front.

Last edited:

Lita

Your Welcome! I know about being tired...b12 is great for that or foods contains high amounts of it....

*Keep us posted..

Happy Hair Growing!

Guinan

Re-Branding
(((HUGS))) I have thyroid issues too (Graves Disease). The same as Lita, I had radition for my thyroid and now takes meds to keep it regulated. I also have hyperlipidemia(high cholestorol,sp) and I am a pre-diabetic.

I've noticed that my hair takes longer to grow and it sheds SOOOOOOO MUCH!!! I havent really mastered getting rid of the tiredness thing. My problem is I have a hard time sleeping at night or I'll go to sleep and then wake up around 1am and cant go back to sleep.

To help speed my hair growth & stablize my mood, I've been taking Biotin, apple fiber (powder) and Chorella(sp).

For the dryness of my hair, I recently started using AVJ and ACV that has helped alot. I also started DC 2x's a week, instead of once a week.

Lita

pelohello Hi! Sorry about the pre diabetes,have you tried to regulate it on your own,with herbs or a dietician? Chroella is good..I use to take 3,000 mg powder form a day...It helps keep the blood healthy & you cold free,when everyone else is sneezing..

Happy Hair Growing!

Lita

Bumping for others....

*Its important that we give each other support.

Happy Hair Growing!

Guinan

Re-Branding
@pelohello Hi! Sorry about the pre diabetes,have you tried to regulate it on your own,with herbs or a dietician? Chroella is good..I use to take 3,000 mg powder form a day...It helps keep the blood healthy & you cold free,when everyone else is sneezing..

Happy Hair Growing!

Thanks. I've been trying to work on it, by losing weight but it doesnt seem to help. My thyroid has also been acting up and my endocrinologist has upped my meds and has switched me from getting blood taken to every 3mths (was going every 6mths). I'm hoping that once I reach my goal weight, my cholesterol and diabetes will go away.

fitnessmommy

Hi Ladies,
I wanted to know if there are any ladies that have successful hair growth with thyroid problems. 2 years into my first HHJ I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis(hypothyroidism). A few months prior I was diagnosed with Centrifugal Alopecia but I found out that it was the thyroid issue causing me to lose hair. I had made a lot of slow but steady progress but my temples and crown just got thinner and thinner due to thyroid and anemia issues. I stopped my HHJ because I got so discouraged with me not being able to enjoy my healthy hair I worked so hard for, I decided to cut it all off last year. But now I am back after a 2 year hiatus and want to start the journey again. I just want some inspiration from some ladies who are going through the same thing. Also, how are you ladies dealing with constant dryness and did you notice you lose a lot more hair? Thanks

Me. With Hashimotos taking chlorella helps immensely. It regulates weight and helps promote hair growth. I take 10 super chlorella pills a day...(vitamin shoppe). I've grown my hair from choppy SL to an inch away from waist currently.

SouthernScienceNerd

I have thyroid nodules and I'm on thyroid meds. My hair used to shed a lot. It's a symptom of the disease as well as a side effect of different meds. (Many times shedding can be worse when you first start a new medicine) I found that I have greatly reduced my shedding by using ayurvedic/ natural powders in my hair regimen (bentonite clay, brahmi, amla, neem, henna, hibiscus). As for the tiredness, I agree with other posters, physical activity definitely helps. Good Luck!

Rozlewis

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for starting this thread. I am a thyroid cancer survivor. Odd enough I never had thyroid problems. During a regular physical exam my doctor identified a goiter in my neck and this is when my journey started. The doctor requested that I go to an endocrinologist who determined that I needed to have the goiter removed because of the size of it. After getting a biopsy it was discovered that the goiter was cancerous. I had to have 2 surgeries and undergo radiation. Long story short, I had a total thyroidectomy. This was before I started my hair journey but through this process I never noticed any drastic hair loss. I know take synthroid daily and visit the doctor every 6 months to get blood work done. I have a total body scan once a year and so far I am cancer free.

For those struggling with thyroid disorders hang in there. The medicine does work but it may take some time before they can get to the right dosage. This can be very frustrating but be patient.

mzsophisticated26

Me. With Hashimotos taking chlorella helps immensely. It regulates weight and helps promote hair growth. I take 10 super chlorella pills a day...(vitamin shoppe). I've grown my hair from choppy SL to an inch away from waist currently.

Wow such an inspiration waist length...I have to get me some chlorella since it seems to be the recommended vitamin. Are these pills large because I hate swallowing large pills:lol:

mzsophisticated26

I have thyroid nodules and I'm on thyroid meds. My hair used to shed a lot. It's a symptom of the disease as well as a side effect of different meds. (Many times shedding can be worse when you first start a new medicine) I found that I have greatly reduced my shedding by using ayurvedic/ natural powders in my hair regimen (bentonite clay, brahmi, amla, neem, henna, hibiscus). As for the tiredness, I agree with other posters, physical activity definitely helps. Good Luck!

I previously used Henna, Cassia and Indigo in my hair which I loved but once I fell off my HHJ journey I slacked a lot. I also have nodules, actually I have a Goiter with about 5 dominant nodules.

mzsophisticated26

Thanks to all the ladies that have replied it's nice to know that I don't have to feel discouraged in my journey. I have an appt with my Endo in a few weeks to determine if I will have to go ahead and have the thyroidectomy since my Goiter is not shrinking in size.

disgtgyal

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for starting this thread. I am a thyroid cancer survivor. Odd enough I never had thyroid problems. During a regular physical exam my doctor identified a goiter in my neck and this is when my journey started. The doctor requested that I go to an endocrinologist who determined that I needed to have the goiter removed because of the size of it. After getting a biopsy it was discovered that the goiter was cancerous. I had to have 2 surgeries and undergo radiation. Long story short, I had a total thyroidectomy. This was before I started my hair journey but through this process I never noticed any drastic hair loss. I know take synthroid daily and visit the doctor every 6 months to get blood work done. I have a total body scan once a year and so far I am cancer free.

For those struggling with thyroid disorders hang in there. The medicine does work but it may take some time before they can get to the right dosage. This can be very frustrating but be patient.

Congratulations on being cancer free!

ilong

God's Own
mzsophisticated26 - I don't have thyroid issues or any of the health issues mentioned in this thread - but I can tell you Chlorella and Spirulina are awesome supplements. There is a chlorella thread on LHCF you may want to take the time to read. Many ladies have described how these supplements have helped their various health challenges. As Lita mentioned - check with your doctor before taking any vitamins/supplements.
Also check out curezone an alternative medicine forum site.
fitnessmommy - I am glad to hear about another "chlorella believer". As some members say "It is the TRUTH". I take 20 of the NOW brand 1000mg tablets. When I tell people how many I take they are like :dizzy::eek: - but if they experienced the benefits I have from taking Chlorella and Spirulina they would be :lick:
Rozlewis- congratulations on being cancer free. Praise God for His love and healing.

BEAUTYU2U

:yep: Just diagnosed. I wander if that's why I'm a slow grower. No moisture problems. About a year ago, I noticed heavy shedding. I'm taking Synthyroid and inconsistenly, prenatal vitamins.

Lita

Wow such an inspiration waist length...I have to get me some chlorella since it seems to be the recommended vitamin. Are these pills large because I hate swallowing large pills:lol:

mzsophisticated26 Hi! I take Chlorella in powder form mixed in juice..Taste nasty,but it works....If you decide to try the pills,they are very tiny..So no worries about it the size.

Happy Hair Growing!

fitnessmommy

mzsophisticated26 yup...they are horse pills, lol. They come in a powder form too and you can mix it with apple juice. Luckily, I don't have a gag reflex so I just pop the pills at night before bed.

hnntrr

This may not be as much info as other ladies but my mother has hypothyroidism and she's been natural for 4 years.

She is on a vitamin regimen and she's been able to get between APL and BSL by wigging* and using half ponytails...pretty much leaving it alone. She is a 3c/4a...3 in the back 4 in the front. I can ask her what other things she did, but she did a lot of stuff to help the thyroid and really just left her hair alone as far as I know. She wears it out rarely. I think she's been trying to wear it out more now that she has length though.

mamaore

I had Graves 15 years ago and was treated with tapazole. Unfortunately, I developed a goiter as well that kept growing. I had a Total Thyroidectomy 2 weeks ago.

My hair is thick but the shedding and breakage has been constant and despite being on HHJ for 5 years, my hair is still not APL. Although I'm a slow grower, I'm happy though that its longer than it used to be.

I

Wenbev

bump
so happy I found this thread. I was diagnosed with Graves (hyperthyroid) a couple months after having my DS. had RAI, unfortunately changed nothing. I have considered a partial thyroidectomy since my thyroid hasn't burned out as yet.

yodie

I had a goiter in my throat. My endo did a biopsy and it was benign. Thank God. I cried my eyes out because I had to get stuck in my throat several times while I was awake without any pain medication or numbing anything. Even worse - I had to go alone. No support.

Thank God that it was not cancerous.
My endo never flat out said that I need to take Thyroid meds. She said I could take something to support my thyroid. I opted not to take Synthroid because my insurance was running out and I knew I would not be able to continue fill the prescription. I also wanted something more natural (if any of the meds are really natural). I opted to take Raw Thryoid. It's an OTC supplement.

The docs have done tons of bloodwork on me and they ALWAYS mention Lupus, Sjogren's, Sickle Cell, but never really Thyroid. I went to a rheumatologist and she said it looks like Lupus lies dormant in my body, but it's not active. I just praise God and declare that it's NOT in my body.

I've always had low energy, but I have low iron levels as well. My hair has ALWAYS been a challenge with dryness, slow growth, splits very easy, don't retain length that well.

Wenbev

I had a goiter in my throat. My endo did a biopsy and it was benign. Thank God. I cried my eyes out because I had to get stuck in my throat several times while I was awake without any pain medication or numbing anything. Even worse - I had to go alone. No support.

My endo never flat out said that I need to take Thyroid meds. She said I could take something to support my thyroid. I opted not to take Synthroid because my insurance was running out and I knew I would not be able to continue fill the prescription. I also wanted something more natural (if any of the meds are really natural). I opted to take Raw Thryoid. It's an OTC supplement.

The docs have done tons of bloodwork on me and they ALWAYS mention Lupus, Sjogren's, Sickle Cell, but never really Thyroid. I went to a rheumatologist and she said it looks like Lupus lies dormant in my body, but it's not active. I just praise God and declare that it's NOT in my body.

I've always had low energy, but I have low iron levels as well. My hair has ALWAYS been a challenge with dryness, slow growth, splits very easy, don't retain length that well.

yodie, sounds like you are possibly hypothyroid. If you have an opportunity/insurance I would definitely seek out another endo. Did she give your bloodwork results? You should have results on your TSH, TSI, T3 and T4. I'm happy to hear it wasnt the C word. And once the door is open for one autoimmune disease, the possibility of getting another is a real possibility. There are a lot of good websites and patient advocates that offer good advice and low cost clinics.

yodie

I definitely plan to seek out another endo once I buy insurance. Yes, I have my bloodwork results. They appear normal, but I remember my thyroidglobulin being off.

mzsophisticated26

Try taking prenatal vits for your iron. I Had to get a biopsy a few years ago and it was painful. I had to get about 10 needles instead of 5 because the pathologist said they needed more samples. You definitely want to find a good Endo, mine came back benign also but now my nodules and thyroid has significantly increased since last year and I have 2 dominant cold nodules. I will be having my entire thyroid moved in Nov and they will be testing for cancerous cells.

mzsophisticated26

Ladies the front of my hair is soooo bad with bald spots but the back is really heathy. Now since I will being having my thyroid removed I know it will get worse:sad: I have been using minoval for the past month and half but since my issues are internal I am not sure it is working.

Here are some pics I added so you ladies can see how bad it is

This is the back which has gotten a lot thicker since I cut it off and started over

Last edited: