Tidbits about Emu Oil as a Hair Growth Oil...check inside!! [Long]

LaNecia

Hello ladies, I downloaded a report re: Emu Oil Used as a Hair Growth Aid. Here's som excepts...it's looks very promising!

Report said:
Michael Hollick, MD, Ph.D., Professor of Medicine, Physiology, and Dermatology at Boston University School of Medicine conducted a study involving emu oil and hair growth. His study found that there was a 20% increase in growth activity of skin that received emu oil, compared to skin that received corn oil. Looking at the hair follicles, Dr. Hollick realized they were much more robust, the skin thickness was remarkably increased, suggesting that emu oil stimulated skin growth and hair growth. Additionally, the study showed that over 80% of hair follicles that had been "asleep" were woken up, and began growing.

"A hair follicle goes through a cycle. It goes from a resting stage into an active growth period, and then it goes back to sleep again. We woke up all the hair follicles by stimulating them, and then we wanted to see if we could further stimulate these hair follicles by topically applying emu oil. We found that there was an enhancement in the growth activity of the hair follicles. So it gives us a very good scientific indication that we were stimulating skin growth," Dr. Holick said.

Study Details from The Emu Oil Institute

Of all the compounds so far recommended in our treatment protocol topical Emu Oil has consistently gotten the most positive feedback in regards to frontal (hair) regrowth, with many users experiencing the initiation of vellous (fuzz) growth within weeks.

It is a given in hair loss treatment that frontal regrowth is much more difficult to attain than regrowth in the vertex or crown. This especially holds true of the "FDA approved " compounds Rogaine and Propecia, as test data have shown them to be of virtually no use in stimulating frontal regrowth.

Researchers feel that the reason that it penetrates human skin so readily is that it has a total lack of phospholipids. Human skin is phospholipid deficient which means that there is no phosphorus in human skin. Anything put on human skin and scalp that has phosphorus in it will not penetrate because skin is programmed to keep such penetration from happening. Conversely, anything such as emu oil that is phospholipid deficient, i.e. has no phosphorus, will penetrate right in and take with it any medicinal materials added to it. Even on its own without added materials emu oil has amazing hair growth properties.

The most important property of emu oil has already been mentioned. It is highly penetrating. This ability to penetrate the stratum corneum barrier of the skin, brought about by the high levels of oleic acid mentioned earlier, has in it the basis for many new uses in the future. Emu oil could be combined with various medicinals or cosmetic materials to take them beneath this barrier and could do it relatively more cheaply and as effectively as the costly liposomes and iontophorisis now available. At the present time, physicians in Australia specializing in hair growth are using emu oil for this penetrating ability because it gets into the scalp and enhances the potency of topical medications, in addition to making them last lasts longer.

I'm sorry this is so long ladies, but it's a 43 page report...I tried to grab what I thought would be most useful.

Had to share...only now I feel sorry for the Emu's in the world...they may be a sudden drop in the Emu population...:look:

VWV.

sareca

Great report. Thanks for posting it. I've been thinking about adding a little MSM (from my capsules) to my emu oil and using it as a scalp treatment. :think:

LaNecia

I was bouncing some ideas off my mom last night about possible combinations and a few we came up with were using the four EO recommended for hair growth
  1. Thyme
  2. Rosemary
  3. Lavendar Oil
  4. Cedarwood
We also discussed throwing in some Sulfur Powder....and then there are always my beloved Indian Oils recommended for growth (Bhringraj, amla, brahmi...).

The concoction I made last night consists of Sulfur Powder, Emu oil and Better Botanicals Herbal Hair Oil. This morning my scalp nor hair was oily...yet wasn't dry either.

baglady215

VWVixxen said:
Had to share...only now I feel sorry for the Emu's in the world...they may be a sudden drop in the Emu population...:look:

VWV.

Run Emu's run!!! The ladies of the LHCF are coming for you! :lachen:

I may have to get some. How are you ladies currently using it?

morehairplease

VWVixxen said:
I was bouncing some ideas off my mom last night about possible combinations and a few we came up with were using the four EO recommended for hair growth
  1. Thyme
  2. Rosemary
  3. Lavendar Oil
  4. Cedarwood
We also discussed throwing in some Sulfur Powder....and then there are always my beloved Indian Oils recommended for growth (Bhringraj, amla, brahmi...).

The concoction I made last night consists of Sulfur Powder, Emu oil and Better Botanicals Herbal Hair Oil. This morning my scalp nor hair was oily...yet wasn't dry either.

thanks for posting! do you mind telling me what's in the better botanicals hair oil? tia

LaNecia

tishee said:
thanks for posting! do you mind telling me what's in the better botanicals hair oil? tia

Here ya go Ms Lady: Peanut Oil, Sesame and sunflower oil, extracts of Bhringraj, brahmi, amla, harad, behra, padmakha, nagarmotha and jataamansi, vitamin E.

It's a 4 oz bottle, retails for $14.99.

What their site says about these oil extracts:

Amla:
Amla is a tropical tree with edible berry-like fruit. Widely used in Ayurveda as a health tonic, it is also prescribed to strengthen hair. Its mineral & vitamin contents include calcium, iron, phosphorous, carotene, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, Vitamin C (one fruit contains as much as 24 oranges) and tannins. Amla's high vitamin C content makes the hair shiny, calcium prevents hair loss, tannins soothe the scalp and help precipitate proteins, making hair stronger. Iron & carotene help prevent premature greying.

Bhringraj: Also known as Keshraja in Sanskrit, which means "ruler of hair", it is Ayurveda's best medicine for hair. Bhringraj promotes strong, healthy growth, making hair luxuriant. It is also believed to retard premature greying & hair loss. When bhringraj oil is massaged into the scalp it is calming, promoting sound sleep.

Brahmi: Brahmi grows profusely in the pure, cold air of the Himalayas, where yogis use it as meditation food. Ayurveda identifies it as a powerful rejuvenator which is useful in toning and stimulating skin, boosting circulation, checking hair loss and stimulating hair growth. It is also a powerful blood purifier and exerts a calming influence on stress-based/nervous disorders.

Behra: Didn't see a definition for this one.

Harad: Trees with white or pale yellow flowers native to India and Burma. Good quality fruit is round, smooth and heavy. According to Ayurvedic tradition, it retards aging, bestows strength and longevity. Known as the "King of Medicines" in Tibet; Aristotle and Pliny were both fans of Harad. Topically, it is used to alleviate skin disorders and inflammations as well as headaches. We use only organically grown, top-quality fruit from an orchard in Northern India.

Nagarmotha:
A grass-like herb with fibrous roots containing an essential oil rich in pinene, which has stimulating properties.

Jataamansi:
Perennial woody root with pink flowers in small clusters. Grows in the Himalayas at altitudes higher than 3,000 meters. It is a complex herb, not yet fully understood, but acknowledged to be a source of "Valerian". Valerian, highly recommended by Hippocrates as well as Arab physicians over time, was used in WWI to treat shell shock (severe psychological strain). Ayurvedic texts claim that jataamansi purifies the blood, enhances intelligence, restores consciousness and promotes strength. Very useful against skin disorders, enhances the complexion and fades discolorations. Also promotes hair growth. Only fresh, reddish-brown roots should be used.

Padmakha: Also known as wild cherry, this herb cools, cleanses and decongests. The powdered bark of this tree and/or a decoction of its inner bark is used to improve circulation and soothe skin, hair and eye problems.

Last edited:

morehairplease

you're a doll!
:kiss:

VWVixxen said:
Here ya go Ms Lady: Peanut Oil, Sesame and sunflower oil, extracts of Bhringraj, brahmi, amla, harad, behra, padmakha, nagarmotha and jataamansi, vitamin E.

It's a 4 oz bottle, retails for $14.99.

What their site says about these oil extracts:

Amla: Amla is a tropical tree with edible berry-like fruit. Widely used in Ayurveda as a health tonic, it is also prescribed to strengthen hair. Its mineral & vitamin contents include calcium, iron, phosphorous, carotene, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, Vitamin C (one fruit contains as much as 24 oranges) and tannins. Amla's high vitamin C content makes the hair shiny, calcium prevents hair loss, tannins soothe the scalp and help precipitate proteins, making hair stronger. Iron & carotene help prevent premature greying.

Bhringraj: Also known as Keshraja in Sanskrit, which means "ruler of hair", it is Ayurveda's best medicine for hair. Bhringraj promotes strong, healthy growth, making hair luxuriant. It is also believed to retard premature greying & hair loss. When bhringraj oil is massaged into the scalp it is calming, promoting sound sleep.

Brahmi: Brahmi grows profusely in the pure, cold air of the Himalayas, where yogis use it as meditation food. Ayurveda identifies it as a powerful rejuvenator which is useful in toning and stimulating skin, boosting circulation, checking hair loss and stimulating hair growth. It is also a powerful blood purifier and exerts a calming influence on stress-based/nervous disorders.

Behra: Didn't see a definition for this one.

Harad: Trees with white or pale yellow flowers native to India and Burma. Good quality fruit is round, smooth and heavy. According to Ayurvedic tradition, it retards aging, bestows strength and longevity. Known as the "King of Medicines" in Tibet; Aristotle and Pliny were both fans of Harad. Topically, it is used to alleviate skin disorders and inflammations as well as headaches. We use only organically grown, top-quality fruit from an orchard in Northern India.

Nagarmotha:
A grass-like herb with fibrous roots containing an essential oil rich in pinene, which has stimulating properties.

Jataamansi:
Perennial woody root with pink flowers in small clusters. Grows in the Himalayas at altitudes higher than 3,000 meters. It is a complex herb, not yet fully understood, but acknowledged to be a source of "Valerian". Valerian, highly recommended by Hippocrates as well as Arab physicians over time, was used in WWI to treat shell shock (severe psychological strain). Ayurvedic texts claim that jataamansi purifies the blood, enhances intelligence, restores consciousness and promotes strength. Very useful against skin disorders, enhances the complexion and fades discolorations. Also promotes hair growth. Only fresh, reddish-brown roots should be used.

Padmakha: Also known as wild cherry, this herb cools, cleanses and decongests. The powdered bark of this tree and/or a decoction of its inner bark is used to improve circulation and soothe skin, hair and eye problems.

ThursdayGirl

Yeah, I know that emu oil has a lot of beneficial properties, but the fact that people have to kill emus to get it does seem worth it just to grow more hair when most people already have some. Its kinda like people who go out and shoot pheasants just for the sake of it (Dick Cheney *cough*) or are killing animals solely for their furs... because the fur looks nice as a coat and is fashionable. I mean, really, using emu oil to grow hair faster seems really superficial use unless you have say cancer or some extreme medical condition. There are so many other things people can do and try that work and no animals have to lose their lives for it to happen.

Last edited:

LaNecia

ThursdayGirl said:
ETA: I'm not criticizing anyone for their choices... I'm just saying... we all need to be better stewards of the earth and the other living things.

:kiss:

Not that it makes for a better argument pro/con but...they aren't used solely for their Oil or Meat. As a matter of fact according to The American Emu Association they are use for both their oil and meat (which is supposed to be recognized as a healthier red meat by the American Heart Association. Some breeders even report the Commercial Emu's are a totally used 'product'.

If you're a vegan, vegetarian, concerned about animal rights and so on, none of this will matter but at least they aren't being used SOLELY for their oil.

P

patient1

I purchased a rosemary hair oil blend from fromnaturewithlove. Here are the ingredients:

EO Blend: Rosemary Hair Oil
Click the star to add this item to your Personalized Shopping List
This special blend is rich in emollients and nutrients that help condition the scalp and hair. Many of these oils are said to promote hair growth. Use this oil straight from the bottle or add it to your formulations.

Our Rosemary Hair Blend can be combined with beeswax to make a hair pomade or loc butter. It can also be used to make a conditioning hair spritzer. First blend in equal proportions with polysorbate 20 to make it water soluble. Then add the water soluble blend to distilled water. Finally add 5% alcohol as a preservative.

Do not use if you are pregnant, have high blood pressure or have seizure disorders.

Ingredients: Emu Oil, Castor Oil, Fractionated Coconut Oil, Jojoba, Meadowfoam Oil, Arnica and Rosemary Oil.

It's very rich and I like it BUT I didn't know that emus were harmed to extract the oil. Darn! I'm having a moral dilemma of sorts here.

For those who don't mind, this blend might be a more time and cost efficient.

HTH,
p1

diva2b

I wish the PJ in me was cured:grin: . I was at Walgreens last night and saw Blue Emu . Now, 2 months ago, before I got hooked on LHCF, I wouldn't have noticed it. But, some of the ingredients caught my eye. Has anyone ever tried this stuff for hair growth? Am I completely crazy:perplexed

Super Strength Emu Oil, Aloe, MSM and Glucosamine
by Blue-Emu Price:$16.99 4.0 oz. Unit Price:$4.25/oz.
  • Deep penetrating - Soothing formula.
  • Rich source of Omega 3, 6, 9.
  • Contains 7% pure Emu Oil.
  • This special formula will soothe while penetrating deeply.
  • Aloe Vera based with pure Johnson's Emu Oil, Glucosamine, MSM, Vvitamins A and E plus a proprietary blend of natural botanical extracts.

Instructions
  • For external use only.
  • Apply liberally as needed.
  • For best results, apply twice daily.
Ingredients
Stabilized Aloe Vera Gel , Pure Johnson's Emu Oil 7% , Cetyl Alcohol , Stearic Acid , Dimethicone , Glycerin , Methylsulfonyl Methane , Oleyl Alcohol , Zanthoxylum Alatum Extract , Horse Chestnut Extract , Comfrey Extract , Calendula Extract , Chamomile Extract , Retinyl Palmitate Vitamin A , Cholecalciferol Vitamin D3 , Tocopheryl Acetate Vitamin E , Glucosamine Sulfate , Sodium , Allantoin , Panthenol , Ethoxydiglycol , Carbomer , Diazolidinyl Urea , Methylparaben , Tetrasodium EDTA , Propylparaben , Triethanolamine , FD&C Blue 1

nychaelasymone

hmm sounds interesting....not sure if you can use it on your scalp since it has alcohol in it.........I found EMU oil at my health food store but it's expensive....$24.00 for a little bottle.

senimoni

I'd be careful with the blue emu stuff b/c that is for muscle aches and pains and its only 7% emu oil. I'll def be getting some pure emu oil though, thanks for the info.

diva2b

Thanks ladies! I had the same thought about the alcohol not being good for the scalp. But, the PJ in me almost took over! I'm so anxious to get to shoulder length sometimes I need someone to pull me back! I looooove LHCF! I think I'll be buying the pure emu oil too:D

Peace & Blessings and Happy Growing!

princesmich

Thank you for this post, I've done some additional reading, it seems that emu oil is good for eczema which both my kids have, i"m going to try it. Thank you

I could be way off base, but I thought that Emus were NOT harmed in harvesting their oil. I thought it came off of their lower backs. Don't laugh, I am serious. I could almost swear that I read this somewhere on a site that sold emu oil. I know they said that the birds weren't harmed. I don't think that they meant they weren;t harmed because they were already dead!! I'll try to look it up and post it if I can find it again.

Opps! Ok, I had only partly right. The oil is taken from a fatty portion of their backs. They are killed at slaughter houses, and nearly all parts of the bird are used; feathers, meat, and even their feet. So, they aren't being slaughtered soley for the oil. Why is it always that with the good comes the bad?:confused:

Faith

Which Amla are you all using? The Dabur one with mineral oil? That's the one I have. And I have the Vatika one (which lists Brahmi as the 2 or 3 ingredient).

Faith

Reading this thread all I keep thinking is it's like applying chicken fat in our hair...lololol. <I'm going to get some :look:> :lol:

NoNapNique

Faith said:
Reading this thread all I keep thinking is it's like applying chicken fat in our hair...lololol. <I'm going to get some :look:> :lol:

Which is EXACTLY why I stopped using it... It smelled JUST like chicken fat and raw chicken! The first time I used it I threw up. So needless to say I had to THROW "Essence de Emu" out :(

JLove74

NoNapNique said:
Which is EXACTLY why I stopped using it... It smelled JUST like chicken fat and raw chicken! The first time I used it I threw up. So needless to say I had to THROW "Essence de Emu" out :(

What kind of emu oil did you get? because what I have has absolutely no smell at all.

Radianthealth

The one I have has a smell that makes me quesy but I just try to overpower it with Essential Oils. I bought mine from some all natural vitamin shop

dlewis

I love emu oil. I've used it for over two years. I out now and don't plan to reorder until I get rid of someother things. But if you haven't tried it, you should.

AtlantaJJ

Can anyone recommend a good online source of the oil, there are several sites that sell it, and they all say they are the best, beware of fake sources, yada yada yada....

I need a tried and true source.