TIL Hair Care Edition

snoop

I thought that it would be fun to start a "today I learned" thread.

It doesn't have to be academic type learning or something that is obscure. It could be anything that made you pause and go, "wow, I never knew!"

I'll go first:

TIL - Jheri Redding was the father of the Jheri Curl

1672863324284.png

He was born Robert William Redding. Believed that human hair was alive, not dead and that hair was made of protein and if treated with protein, it could be reconstructed and repaired when damaged. Started his first product company 1956, the Jheri Redding Products Company. He later joined with actress Paula Kent and formed a company called Redkin. He and the Redken company also received a patent their protein-based Interbond Conditioning System. Left and created another company called Jhirmack Enterprises which started off as a vitamin and food supplement company but later sold shampoos and conditioners that included nucleic acids for protein-building. He formed his fourth company with his son, Nexxus Products where he introduced fruits, herbs, plants, and organic as well as synthetic polymers to his products.

According to Wikipedia: "Redding is credited with being the inventor of modern-day hair conditioner. He was the first to make "pH balanced" shampoos, to put vitamins in hair care products, and to market added minerals.[3] He developed the perm product Jheri curl."