Tip of the day 1: Hard water remedy

pureebony

Ok Im like sooo on a mass thread starting mode today....

Well i know it sound weird but here is what I do, I currently have braids in my hair and im natural underneath. I will be taking them down and staring a protective challenge from September- was meant to be July but... never mind.

Anywoo... what I do when I wash my hair whether it be a co or poo wash is this, uno how we have hard water or sometimes feel like the water is drying etc.

I add honey and/or a very watery like conditioner to a bucket full of water aswell as an essential oil of my choice usually peppermint for its stimulating sensation. then like I said whether I am co washing or poo... I use that water mix to rinse anything out, instead of plain water. my hair feels soooo moisturised and never dry.

So ther is my tip of the day!!!

Irresistible

*noted*

good idea! I just cant ifigure out how to make sure there is enough water for sure ready in advance to thoroughly rinse

I have hard water now ,where I moved a year ago now, but so far no major issues but I wil be looking into other things like a filter soon

Ok Im like sooo on a mass thread starting mode today....

Well i know it sound weird but here is what I do, I currently have braids in my hair and im natural underneath. I will be taking them down and staring a protective challenge from September- was meant to be July but... never mind.

Anywoo... what I do when I wash my hair whether it be a co or poo wash is this, uno how we have hard water or sometimes feel like the water is drying etc.

I add honey and/or a very watery like conditioner to a bucket full of water aswell as an essential oil of my choice usually peppermint for its stimulating sensation. then like I said whether I am co washing or poo... I use that water mix to rinse anything out, instead of plain water. my hair feels soooo moisturised and never dry.

So ther is my tip of the day!!!

Bublin

Great tip - cus buying distilled water will get expensive if you wash your hair often.

I guess if you don't know how much water to prepare just fill a bucket and dunk your head (hair) in it for the final rinse. Sounds crazy but i used to do that back in the day......

For shampooing i use ORS Creamy Aloe shampoo its works great if you have hard water - keeps the hair soft.

QT

Maybe this is a crazy question...... where are you getting the water from? is it the same hard water from your pipes w/ added EO and condish?:perplexed

DivaD04

I know if I don't want to fight my hard water...(bottles r a little different here in Saudi Arabia so I'll speak as if I was back home in the states)...I'd buy one 5 gallon bottke of water, since you can get your bottles with reclosable lids, or the one w/ a spout, take a tall...7-11 cup and fill w/ water and rinse my hair. I place my water in the bathroom to make it easier for me. But if you go to a watermill, water is cheap and at $0.25-$0.50/gl I find it reasonable if one doesn't have a filter for an alternative means. shoot it's even cheap to fill your bottles up at Wal-Mart. But I don't know if I would dunk my hair is a bucket...I'm too scary:grin:

CurliDiva

Maybe this is a crazy question...... where are you getting the water from? is it the same hard water from your pipes w/ added EO and condish?:perplexed

I thought the same thing :ohwell: Wouldn't it be better for your hair just to buy a shower filter or the pitcher-like water filter?

The honey and oils are still mixing with the heavy metals in your hard water.

Just curious...but if it works for u, why fix it!

QT

I bought a water filter and I can tell a difference.

I brought a water filter in hopes that it will “cure my hard water” I’m unsure :perplexed if it has…. Lowes offer free hard water test strips. I did a test on all my water sources ie; bottled distilled water (soft) my house pipe water (hard). So I tested my new water filler, I ran the water for a while and tested it and it came out hard….. WTF:wallbash:…… It has a disclaimer on the package that it may not get out all the impurities. I will need to invest in the actual kit for about 5 buckets and see what it is actually filtering. One thing I notice it does not have a filmy build up like my old shower head was notorious of having.

pureebony

I see it like this, you really are less likely to get soft pure water all the time, but if you do have hard water like I do, then adding something that will enable moisture to stay in your strands is good enough for me.

So I fill up a bucket scoop (with my hands- Sorry measuring is not me lol) 2 scoops of honey and a few scoops and conditioner, mix it to let it dissolve and or leave it for a few minutes.

What I notice is that my hair feels super soft and moisturized. So instead just adding hardness to your hair why not rinse with a bit of moisture rich water. it cant hurt?

If you have a softner then by all means try it, but i use this as its basic and does my hair justice.

Try it- you'll see oh btw the added essential oil is optional.

Irresistible

Great tip - cus buying distilled water will get expensive if you wash your hair often.

I guess if you don't know how much water to prepare just fill a bucket and dunk your head (hair) in it for the final rinse. Sounds crazy but i used to do that back in the day......

For shampooing i use ORS Creamy Aloe shampoo its works great if you have hard water - keeps the hair soft.

Shampoo also noted!

thanks

Irresistible

I brought a water filter in hopes that it will “cure my hard water” I’m unsure :perplexed if it has…. Lowes offer free hard water test strips. I did a test on all my water sources ie; bottled distilled water (soft) my house pipe water (hard). So I tested my new water filler, I ran the water for a while and tested it and it came out hard….. WTF:wallbash:…… It has a disclaimer on the package that it may not get out all the impurities. I will need to invest in the actual kit for about 5 buckets and see what it is actually filtering. One thing I notice it does not have a filmy build up like my old shower head was notorious of having.

thats crazy!

redd

I never did a hard water test to see if it was still hard or not, but I only noticed that my hair is much softer while using the filter than w/o.

QT

I never did a hard water test to see if it was still hard or not, but I only noticed that my hair is much softer while using the filter than w/o.

I’m w/ you on it has made a difference. However I’m extremely meticulous and was just shocked the test still read as being hard :nono:. The filter might have taken care of harmful exposure to chlorine or other tap water contaminants. I just was hoping the shower filter test better in the hard water department, so I can have apiece of mind.

It will have to due considering I would have to shell out a hundreds of dollars on a water softener system. Over all I will give my shower filter thumbs up.

sareca

Water filter don't remove hard water minerals like calcium. They aren't impurities they're minerals. They are also much too small to be caught by the filter. You have do crazy thing with ions and salt to get the minerals out of your water. A water softer costs about $500 but softens ALL of the water coming into your house.

Even without removing the minerals you should notice a different using a water filter. People underestimate how drying chlorine and other "water treatments" are. I have very hard water, but I can tell the difference between washing my hair in the sink (no filter) and the shower (where I installed a filter). :yep:

QT

Water filter don't remove hard water minerals like calcium. They aren't impurities they're minerals. They are also much too small to be caught by the filter. You have do crazy thing with ions and salt to get the minerals out of your water. A water softer costs about $500 but softens ALL of the water coming into your house.

Even without removing the minerals you should notice a different using a water filter. People underestimate how drying chlorine and other "water treatments" are. I have very hard water, but I can tell the difference between washing my hair in the sink (no filter) and the shower (where I installed a filter). :yep:

Thanks for clearing that up..... I just know hard water is BAD for your hair and overall health and i just want the sucker out of my house b/c it's not invited:nono: