Tips and thoughts for removing keratin treatments?

coachchica

Hello! I'm finally coming out of years of lurkdom with a serious question. Has anyone successfully had a keratin treatment fade out of their hair or removed it themselves?

A little background about my hair......I've been natural (for the 2nd time, I relaxed briefly in 2003. Had been natural since 1998) since 2004. I have 3C hair that is mid back length stretched. I got my first Brazilian Blowout last November with the promise that my hair would fully revert curly once the treatment wears off in 12 weeks. About 5 months later I got my 2nd treatment. It's been about 5 months from my last treatment and my hair is still slightly wavy. my hair has not reverted back.

I'm washing with sulfate laden shampoo and salt and have made no progress. I'm starting to think the straight/wavy hair is permanent.

So....I'm looking for encouragement, tips, anything. I'm pretty much devastated that I might have to cut my long hair to get my curls back.

Lynnerie

OP sorry to hear about your hair..do you have any pics of your hair when it was curly and what it looks like now? I do believe that the BKT is temporary but I think the heat that is used to seal the treatment in is whats causing people's hair not to revert. Just my thoughts...

If it was caused by too much heat try a protein treatment and then deep conditioning. Also, are you able to still wear wash n go's? I think cutting your hair should be the last resort.

biancaelyse

What shampoo are you using and how often are you shampooing??

You should be doing it several times a week with a really harsh shampoo like Prell or Suave or VO5 with 1 tsp of salt per oz of shampoo.

Are you doing any heavy protein deep treatments?

Have you tried swimming? The chlorine is supposed to remove the keratin too.

What about steaming? Sometimes my curls get too loose from Henna steaming improves my curl pattern.

coachchica

thanks for your responses!

OP sorry to hear about your hair..do you have any pics of your hair when it was curly and what it looks like now? I do believe that the BKT is temporary but I think the heat that is used to seal the treatment in is whats causing people's hair not to revert. Just my thoughts...

If it was caused by too much heat try a protein treatment and then deep conditioning. Also, are you able to still wear wash n go's? I think cutting your hair should be the last resort.

here is my hair pre- treatment (a little dry but you can see i have lots of s curls and it super thick). I do not have any pics of what my hair looks like now. I have to work hard to get any type of curl in my hair, it will dry pretty straight to wavy.

I have not tried a protein treatment yet. Something like Aphogee? Or is there something better to use?

What shampoo are you using and how often are you shampooing??

You should be doing it several times a week with a really harsh shampoo like Prell or Suave or VO5 with 1 tsp of salt per oz of shampoo.

Are you doing any heavy protein deep treatments?

Have you tried swimming? The chlorine is supposed to remove the keratin too.

What about steaming? Sometimes my curls get too loose from Henna steaming improves my curl pattern.

I am shampooing my hair every day to every other day. I am using a herbal essences clarifying shampoo and adding sea salt. I separate my hair in sections and work it in and add extra salt. I usually shampoo twice and then d/c after. Prell is my next step, I could not find it today at a store but I am going to leep looking.

I have not tried swimming..we have a pool, so I will take a dip tonight.

Also I dont know much about protein treatments or steaming..is there a thread that I can reference?

biancaelyse

thanks for your responses!

here is my hair pre- treatment (a little dry but you can see i have lots of s curls and it super thick). I do not have any pics of what my hair looks like now. I have to work hard to get any type of curl in my hair, it will dry pretty straight to wavy.

I have not tried a protein treatment yet. Something like Aphogee? Or is there something better to use?

I am shampooing my hair every day to every other day. I am using a herbal essences clarifying shampoo and adding sea salt. I separate my hair in sections and work it in and add extra salt. I usually shampoo twice and then d/c after. Prell is my next step, I could not find it today at a store but I am going to leep looking.

I have not tried swimming..we have a pool, so I will take a dip tonight.

Also I dont know much about protein treatments or steaming..is there a thread that I can reference?

I am not a heavy protein user but I have had luck with Motions CPR and AO GPB.

You may want to search "protein treatments" to get more feedback on other protein options.

Your har is beautiful and I wish you well in restoring your curls!!