Tips for shedding hair please...

sparkle25

Hello

So my hair doesn't really shed at all. The last two protein treatments I did (Komaza care) has shown a little bit of shedding that I never have. Ill probably start a different thread to see if protein can do that, but in the mean time... My moms hair is experiencing lots of shedding. Her hair is very long, I mean she had long hair back before all of this new information that us in the 21st century have now.. So her hair is long and she doesn't experience much breakage at all like myself. I don't really think she needs protein. Her hair is natural and like I don't know 4 something with maybe some 3C mixed in there.

I have not done any research on shedding hair because that isn't my issue. I have seen through searching for information on my own hair that garlic and emu oil can help with this. My fiancé is Austalian so he is briing emu oil right from the mother land, Australia :) She also has some garlic tablets that she is going to start taking. But what are ladies in the natural hair community doing for hair shedding? I am not a mixtress so im looking for simple things. Other than the shedding my mom has pretty healthy hair...

Thanks ladies :)

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
She can try black tea rinses. I heard that helps with shedding. The ingesting of garlic is good. Try a DC with garlic in it like this one. Try Ayurvedic oils/powders that help w/shedding...I'm not sure which ones, but I'm sure others will chime in on that. :yep:

Oh and the Komaza is considered a strong protein treatment. Do you do a moisturizing DC afterward? Also, make sure you aren't doing them too frequently. Try some milder treatments in between the Komaza.

sugarbaybie

PRAYER! I know from keen experience that asking God and Jesus to deliver you from hair thinning while being obedient to him can be your cure!

Vitamin D! I know someone who claims this stopped years of thinning. They were deficient and didn't know it. Please get tested before you OD because it is toxic at high bodily concentrations where one isn't deficient.

Iron. I know for a fact if this will mess up a good head of hair if you are deficient. As with the other it can be toxic if you take to much and do not need.

Garlic For some this stopped shedding dead in its tracks. Garlic pills high doses for some and the shampoo for others and even the garlic conditioner for some others, all work for some and not others so you may need to read around here and google for extra info from others they have helped.

B vitamins, Zinc, Protein, and some other supplements like GNC hair skin and nails or Country Life Hair vitamins. These can help if you are deficient or they have a formulation that addresses your problem. Call and deal with a company that readily accepts returns so if it doesn't work you can try the next thing on your list.

Last edited:

sparkle25

Froreal3 you are always so helpful. Thank you! I will buy that deep conditioner for her for sure and I will get her some black tea bags. When does she do the rinses? After DC? Or???

I asked the people at Komaza about the strenth of the protein treatment. They said it was considered medium...I've been using it once every other week and while it is doing a lot for my breakage, it hasn't stopped it completely. I think my hair really likes protein but I don't want to over do it for obvious reasons. And I love your new picture :)

sugarbaybie my mom is definitely vitamin D deficient. She has had this tested. I will make sure she takes vitamin D in liquid form ( the body does not use it in pill form and it has to be taken with fats. So liquid vitamin D with something fatty, like a boiled egg).

She is also deficient in iron, she has had this tested also. I will make sure she takes this too. I will also look into the garlic shampoo and ill get her a rinse out too.

Thanks lovelies

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Froreal3 you are always so helpful. Thank you! I will buy that deep conditioner for her for sure and I will get her some black tea bags. When does she do the rinses? After DC? Or???

I asked the people at Komaza about the strenth of the protein treatment. They said it was considered medium...I've been using it once every other week and while it is doing a lot for my breakage, it hasn't stopped it completely. I think my hair really likes protein but I don't want to over do it for obvious reasons. And I love your new picture :)

Thanks lovelies

Thanks sis. :) No problem. I hope these things work for her. I always thought the Komaza was strong. It works well for me to stop breakage in its tracks. I use it every 4 - 6 weeks. I use SD MSI which is a light protein in between Komaza uses, probably about bi-weekly. I tried black tea rinses before DCing and I have also tried it under the DC. I haven't used it in over a year though because my shedding is normal.

paging Nix08 for more info about tea use.

sparkle25

Thanks sis. :) No problem. I hope these things work for her. I always thought the Komaza was strong. It works well for me to stop breakage in its tracks. I use it every 4 - 6 weeks. I use SD MSI which is a light protein in between Komaza uses, probably about bi-weekly. I tried black tea rinses before DCing and I have also tried it under the DC. I haven't used it in over a year though because my shedding is normal.

paging Nix08 for more info about tea use.

Does SD stand for Silk Dreams? I'm going to try that. You put me on to the Komaza , which I love, so ill take your word for it. Yeah Komaza really really helps. My hair is so much better with the breakage thanks to you. I want the breakage to stop completely though. Wish there was something stronger that wasn't bad like the fricken aphogee lol.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Does SD stand for Silk Dreams? I'm going to try that. You put me on to the Komaza , which I love, so ill take your word for it. Yeah Komaza really really helps. My hair is so much better with the breakage thanks to you. I want the breakage to stop completely though. Wish there was something stronger that wasn't bad like the fricken aphogee lol.

So glad to hear that! Is the breakage excessive? How are you detangling? You may want to look into other factors. As long as your protein/moisture balance is good, your hair should not be breaking excessively. Honestly, I always have some type of small amount of mechanical breakage or due to needing a dusting. I finger detangle gently before washing and that has helped a ton. I don't worry about breakage unless it is abnormal. For example, if your hair never breaks and you get some minimal breakage after using a product, I'd be weary. But if you usually have a ton of excessive breakage and then it goes to minimal, I wouldn't worry too much.

Oh and yes SD is Silk Dreams. Sorry about that. I take for granted people know these little short cuts.

ETA: And the Aphogee may not be that bad for you. I mean it has less than natural ingredients, but so do a lot of "natural" products including Komaza's stuff. You may want to give it a try (in a few weeks because you don't want to overlap all that protein). Besides you wouldn't be using it but every couple months anyway.

Last edited:

sparkle25

Before I started this journey in 2009, my hair broke excessively due to not taking care of if at all. I use to have perms as a child and only have had one since the age of 18, and am now 30. So it was braids and not washing and conditioning it except for when I took the braids out, then using bad shampoo and conditioner and using grease. That was all I did. Ick. After the braids, I was wearing quick weaves, like when you wrap your hair with gel, out a stocking cap and then glue tracks on top of that. Omg I can't believe I use to do that.

So I started my journey 2009 with better products and better washing conditioning. Better combing but still not using a proper comb. I had less breakage than before but it was still there. Then I spent the last year in Australia with my fiancé and my hair grew A LOT because it was corn rowed the whole time. I mean it grew more than 6 inches and that was more than 6 inches not straightened. But I couldn't get the products that I had at home, so it was still a bit neglected. But when I realized how much my hair grew I realized that I really need to get serious about my hair game. That's when I came back here a month or so ago.

Now I am washing or co washing once a week with good products as usual, and I use a Hercules hair rake to detangle, so i noticed less breakage. Then I started using the Komaza protein and I have even less breakage but its still there. I believe my problem is a combination of needing protein and dryness. I can't seal in the moisture with my leave in because my hair doesnt like oil and not sealing doesn't help the dryness. BUT I just received a new oil in the mail called ungurahua oil. It has lots of benefits and does penetrate the hair shaft. I used it on my moms hair last night and this morning her hair is baby soft and supple. This morning I touched her hair and it was still awesome moisturized and not oily at all. I am the type of person that doesnt even like lotion on my hands because it feels oily/ greasy. So when i say her hair is not oily at all i mean you cant even tell i put an oil in it. I was a bit heavy handed with it too. Any time i used any oil on my hair, my moms or my brothers, i always wash my hands, even if i used just a few drop. Not with this oil. It is perfect. I think this may be my key. It was super expensive but if it works its going to be my holy grail. I'm going to try today after I rinse my deep conditioner out.

I think in going to try the aphogee. In a few weeks...lil see how it goes but I think that may also be the key.

Last edited:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Alter Ego Garlic stops shedding almost instantly. It's kinda pricey but well worth it.

Tea rinsing is wonderful but finding the right tea combination that works for your hair is really trial and error. You might should start with Alter Ego Garlic (or something of the like) first and then move to tea rinsing for maintenance.

Last edited:

Hibiscus30

I have a great love for Komaza Protein Strengthening Cream it has helped my hair tremendously especially with the breakage...the strength reminds me of Nexxus Emergencee I use when I was relaxed and transitioning. My hairdresser used Aphogee on me back in the day and I incorporated that into my regimen when I used relaxers exclusively.

What I learned from this board though is moisture retention and how important it is after protein (protein/moisture balance) So Deep Conditioning is a must for me. I can't seal well with oils although I have plenty and love them esp avocado oil and Afroveda oils. But I mainly seal with MyHoneychild Type 4 cream and a recent purchase of the Buttery Soy has me in love.

Also Fo-ti and Bamboo extract are very helpful with my shedding/breakage. HTH :)

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Tea rinsng really does help, but does require some work so I'm not sure if you'd be interested. I would recommend teas such as hibiscus, black tea, saw palmetto, nettle, tulsi. Some teas will block dht which will reduce shedding buy also teas that stimulate your scalp/follicles will also help in reducing shedding as it will strength the root of your hair. Again though it is trial and error as some teas act like a protein on the hair.

sparkle25

Thank you ladies so much. I really don't know why I left this forum after learning what I did in 2009. Growth is not my problem, its retention and I am certain if I had been on here the last 4 years my hair would be TBL lol. That's how much my hair grows.

divachyk, I do do a deep conditioning treatment after protein. I always let my deep conditioners air dry, just to see how they work alone and they do always leave my hair still dry. Leave ins do not help because I haven't been able to seal. But I am telling you I have been doing my moms hair for 4 years and she doesn't mind hair that has an oily touch, but I do since I'm the one doing it all the time. After using this ungurahua oil, I have never felt her hair like this ever. Oils were not working the way I hear they work for girls on here for our hair at all. I used about a quarter size drop for each section ( 4 sections and the quarter size drop was by accident), and to me that is a ton of oil. It completely absorbed into her hair and I have never ever ever felt her hair that soft. As I said, I don't even like lotion on my hands so if there was any oily feeling at all I would have washed my hands and this oil would be on the swap board.

With this Alter Ego Garlic, I am seeing that they have a masque and a hot oil treatment. Which one do you suggests? And have you tried their shampoo?

Thank Nix08. I may get one of each of these teas and experiment it them for her if this garlic stuff doesn't work. As long as i dont have to mix nothing myself. Aint nobody got time for that. Do you make the tea just as if you were making it to drink? Like steep it in like 8oz of water or? Do you apply it before washing, before deep conditioning, alone mid week or ? I really appreciate you ladies so much *hugs*

Last edited:

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Yes I just brew it as if I was making tea. The first time I ever used tea and saw the amazing effects was after brewing a mix of teas spraying my scalp with it once it cooled down, I then applied my DC and left it on for a while with a cap.. After rinsing I immediately noticed less shedding.
Now I use tea sometimes under my DC, but always as a rinse when I wash (actually cowash). I also use to use tea as a leave in rinse and sometimes I've used it as a mid week refresher. Hope that helps:yep: Using teas/herbs are very fun. Some can be used as moisturizers some as protein...all fun:yep:

divachyk

sparkle25, I use this one. I apply it to the roots and use a good, moisturizing DC on the length.

IMO, DCners are not meant to sit on the hair and air dry. I've made the mistake of putting on a DCner and not putting a plastic cap on my head soon enough and it gets hard and waxy feeling. DCners work better (for me) if I use heat. Or, at a minimum, put on a plastic cap to keep it from drying out and getting hard. Does these conditioners leave your hair hard when you use heat and/or plastic cap?

I use 1 to 2 tiny drops of oil for my entire head when I seal. Good that the quarter size amount absorbed into each section. How much oil are you using when you tried sealing your hair?

sparkle25

divachyk I'm sorry I meant after RINSING out the deep conditioner, I let my hair air dry with no other product in it so I can see how the deep conditioner works alone. I have yet to find a deep conditiner that leaves my hair feeling soft after it has been rinsed out and my hair is completely dry. However I just tried NaturelleGrow Herbal deep conditioner and I would say my hair is like 85% dry and so far it is very soft. We will see how it is in a few hours though. I have always deep conditioned with at least a plastic cap on, and the last 4 years I have been using a heat cap. This works nicely for me, but still haven't found that deep conditioner that performs well alone once my hair has dried.

When I use oil to seal my hair, I use as little as possible because my hair does not like oils or butters. I discoved this four years ago, but just kept trying because i know i need to seal. They just sit on my hair, no matter the type of oil. I used a quarter size drop on my moms hair by accident. It just came out quickly and I didn't want to waste it so I rubbed it all in. Im going to get one of those droppers because this oil was like $25 for 4 ounces. My mom has very long hair, so she kind of needs extra product anyways.... regardless it all absorbed with not even a slightly oily residue. This has never happened with any oil before ever. I hope it does this for me too.

Thanks for the link :)

Last edited:

divachyk

divachyk I'm sorry I meant after RINSING out the deep conditioner, I let my hair air dry with no other product in it so I can see how the deep conditioner works alone. I have yet to find a deep conditiner that leaves my hair feeling soft after it has been rinsed out and my hair is completely dry. However I just tried NaturelleGrow Herbal deep conditioner and I would say my hair is like 85% dry and so far it is very soft. We will see how it is in a few hours though. I have always deep conditioned with at least a plastic cap on, and the last 4 years I have been using a heat cap. This works nicely for me, but still haven't found that deep conditioner that performs well alone once my hair has dried.

When I use oil to seal my hair, I use as little as possible because my hair does not like oils or butters. I discoved this four years ago, but just kept trying because i know i need to seal. They just sit on my hair, no matter the type of oil. I used a quarter size drop on my moms hair by accident. It just came out quickly and I didn't want to waste it so I rubbed it all in. Im going to get one of those droppers because this oil was like $25 for 4 ounces. My mom has very long hair, so she kind of needs extra product anyways.... regardless it all absorbed with not even a slightly oily residue. This has never happened with any oil before ever. I hope it does this for me too.

Thanks for the link :)

You're welcome sparkle25. Oh, I get it now, sorry about that. I have only allowed my hair to air dry without product like once or twice. It's def not my preference as my hair never feels moisturized without leave ins no matter how great the conditioner. Did the Naturelle Grow conditioner do you right?

What all oil have you tried? Have you given thought to the LOC method? This will help absorb some of the oily feeling since you layer by liquid, oil, creamy product.

sparkle25

divachyk wow so it's not just me who's hair doesnt stay wonderfully moisturized after a DC has been rinsed and hair has dried? Wow I seriously just always thought it was just me. Thank you so much for sharing that infomation with me. I seriously feel soooo much better now! Now I just won't ever attempt that again. The NaturelleGrow felt so awesome until it dried completely. So now learning what I have from you, I still think its a great deep conditioner :)

I'm going to try the loc method again with this new oil. My moms hair 24 hours after putting the leave in and the ungurahua oil in is still moisturized, and not oily at all, but not as much as it was right after using the oil and leave in. Her hair was awesome moisturized for about 12 Is this normal? Could it be the glycerin in the leave in that is not keeping her hair super duper soft like it was right away? I mean its cold here where I live right now and when she gets home her hair is exposed to the dry heat from the indoor heating. Either way her hair was awesome moisturized for at least 12 hours and now it still is but just not as much.

I really appreciate your advice. I love the ladies on this board :)

sparkle25

Also, ok with the loc method, the liquid can be like a leave in with water as the first ingredient of course, and then the oil is obviously oil, but what is the cream part then? I've always been confused about that. Is the cream suppose to be some type of butter or something? Something without water in it???

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
divachyk wow so it's not just me who's hair doesnt stay wonderfully moisturized after a DC has been rinsed and hair has dried? Wow I seriously just always thought it was just me.

Girl no! :lol: My hair does not feel extra soft completely air dried after dcing. I know my Dc has worked by how it feels when I am rinsing it out and right after. Dcing is only the first step of moisturizing the inside of your hair shaft. You still need to get the cuticles to lay down with some type of leave in and moisturizer. Then you need to seal all that in. Have you tried any butters rather than regular oils? Your coating of oil doesn't need to be that much...I am heavy handed, love oils, and don't mind an oily feel on my hair unlike you. But it doesn't really need a lot of oil. Just lightly coat your hands with a dime sized amount for each quarter of your hair. Also your leave in may have oils too, which is why your hair may feel extra oily.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Also, ok with the loc method, the liquid can be like a leave in with water as the first ingredient of course, and then the oil is obviously oil, but what is the cream part then? I've always been confused about that. Is the cream suppose to be some type of butter or something? Something without water in it???

For me, the cream is just a moisturizer. Like Qhemet Amala & Olive or Burdock Root. Bee Mine Luscious etc. Just a hair cream, but water based. I used to use regular ol' Garnier Fructise Sleek & Shine cream. Any cream, not a butter. A butter is just oils coagulated together. I do however add a butter mostly to my ends for extra softness and protection. It is heavy sealing or the LOC/B method. I also find that the LOC or LCO method does not matter for me...but adding an extra heavier sealant to my ends helps keep them soft.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
divachyk wow so it's not just me who's hair doesnt stay wonderfully moisturized after a DC has been rinsed and hair has dried? Wow I seriously just always thought it was just me. Thank you so much for sharing that infomation with me. I seriously feel soooo much better now! Now I just won't ever attempt that again. The NaturelleGrow felt so awesome until it dried completely. So now learning what I have from you, I still think its a great deep conditioner :)

I'm going to try the loc method again with this new oil. My moms hair 24 hours after putting the leave in and the ungurahua oil in is still moisturized, and not oily at all, but not as much as it was right after using the oil and leave in. Her hair was awesome moisturized for about 12 Is this normal? Could it be the glycerin in the leave in that is not keeping her hair super duper soft like it was right away? I mean its cold here where I live right now and when she gets home her hair is exposed to the dry heat from the indoor heating. Either way her hair was awesome moisturized for at least 12 hours and now it still is but just not as much.

I really appreciate your advice. I love the ladies on this board :)

That is totally normal. Her hair won't be uber moisturized after an entire day, especially if she wears her hair out and it is winter/dry weather. In the warmer months, she can go a couple days with it feeling moisturized. I protective style all the time, so my hair usually feels moisturized for two days in the winter...then I need to refresh with a little more leave in. Just refresh with a small amount of leave in every two days between her washes.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
sparkle25

The LCO method is the only thing that works for my air dried hair. I do Liquid Cream Oil as LOC causes my hair to be crunchy and under moisturized.

When I'm air drying, I will usually let my hair get 75% dry so that the stand are still kinda wet, maybe spray some water, then add cream (moisturizer) and a ceramide oil blend to my hair.

Once it is fully dry, I have uber soft hair that will stay moisturized for about 2 days before a touch up and even then I just need to use cream and oil, not really liquid. Deep conditioning is important, but when you are not using heat on the hair, I find it can somewhat distract your final results of what you expect from a DC. There are very few conditioners I can DC then airdry with as some are too moisturizing and others are slightly drying. The more liquid I have to use between wash days, the more that conditioner is necessary for heat only.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

curlyTisME

I've heard taking two odorless garlic pills a day can not only help with hair shedding but heart health! Who wouldn't like that!