Tithing - Let's discuss ..

tuffCOOKiE

I kind of have a lot of questions about tithing. God has put the spirit in my heart to participate in tithes & offering at church. I know that everytime that I have tithed/gave, my Financial House is in order. I plan to continue but, need help- please pray for me.

The Amount to Give

Is this gross or, net? There are many discussions but I wanted to know what you've guys been doing. I've been giving God 10% of the amount of any amount of money that comes into my hands. Most of these amounts are after tax. Like my paycheck, money from side hustles, tax refund check, etc..

Where to?
I tithe to the church that I have been going to for the last 15 years. The monies are used for the church and local community. I am no longer an active member (not a part of any of the ministries) because I have since moved away and make the trip only once a week. I have a local church but it's kinda like a 'Mega' church, and I'm not used to that (whole other topic). My question is - should i continue to tithe to my old church even though i'm not active? or become active in this local church and tithe to the new church?

Practising 'Giving'/'Offering'
Does anyone here not tithe and 'gift' instead? When you 'gift' how much is this money? Where do you gift this money? To people, organisations or .. what? lol

Thank you ladies for you help. I just need help to clarify this. Please pray for me concerning this matter

Blessed2bless

Hi TC,

I tithe off of the net income minus the deductions and taxes that are taken from my pay check. If I get a tax return back, i tithe off of that. This is the method I have followed for years. I also make an offering unto the LORD in addition to the 10% tithe which is lefted up to what is in my heart at the time or what the specific need is for someone and/or organization etc. I tithe to my church (btw does not have to be local) and I offer to were i feel the most need is. HTH

crlsweetie912

I kind of have a lot of questions about tithing. God has put the spirit in my heart to participate in tithes & offering at church. I know that everytime that I have tithed/gave, my Financial House is in order. I plan to continue but, need help- please pray for me.

The Amount to Give

Is this gross or, net? There are many discussions but I wanted to know what you've guys been doing. I've been giving God 10% of the amount of any amount of money that comes into my hands. Most of these amounts are after tax. Like my paycheck, money from side hustles, tax refund check, etc..

Where to?
I tithe to the church that I have been going to for the last 15 years. The monies are used for the church and local community. I am no longer an active member (not a part of any of the ministries) because I have since moved away and make the trip only once a week. I have a local church but it's kinda like a 'Mega' church, and I'm not used to that (whole other topic). My question is - should i continue to tithe to my old church even though i'm not active? or become active in this local church and tithe to the new church?

Does anyone here not tithe and 'gift' instead? When you 'gift' how much is this money? Where do you gift this money? To people, organisations or .. what? lol

Thank you ladies for you help. I just need help to clarify this. Please pray for me concerning this matter
I would just ask your pastor...Or a minister there "mega church" that you trust. I know what the answer is going to be if it is a "mega church" I really hate that term because it's unclear. But, my pastor says that being a "member" of two different churches is a :nono: so if you are not really active at either, why are you tithing?
I gift according to what the spirit leads me to do. One Sunday after church, another single mother was talking about being out of work and not having food, I was lead to give her what I had, it wasn't much, but I am sure it helped. I have done the same for others, it's not really a thing I "think" about. I have a regular small amount taken out of my check to go to the Maryland Charity Campaign. So I say do what your heart leads you to. And PRAY ON IT! HTH. (there are lots of threads in the forum about tithing"

LivingDoll

I would just ask your pastor...Or a minister there "mega church" that you trust. I know what the answer is going to be if it is a "mega church" I really hate that term because it's unclear. But, my pastor says that being a "member" of two different churches is a :nono: so if you are not really active at either, why are you tithing?
I gift according to what the spirit leads me to do. One Sunday after church, another single mother was talking about being out of work and not having food, I was lead to give her what I had, it wasn't much, but I am sure it helped. I have done the same for others, it's not really a thing I "think" about. I have a regular small amount taken out of my check to go to the Maryland Charity Campaign. So I say do what your heart leads you to. And PRAY ON IT! HTH. (there are lots of threads in the forum about tithing"

This is great advice sis. This is what I do as well. :yep:

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Hi TuffCookie: My answers are in dark red below your topics: :yep:

The Amount to Give

Is this gross or, net? There are many discussions but I wanted to know what you've guys been doing. I've been giving God 10% of the amount of any amount of money that comes into my hands. Most of these amounts are after tax. Like my paycheck, money from side hustles, tax refund
check, etc..

The Gross amount. Income tax is optional, as you have already tithed via the gross which included your tax deductions. However, an offering of Thanksgiving is always appropriate.

Where to?

To your Home Church or as the Lord is leading you. If your Chruch is doing the right thing with the money you give, then by all means, to them is the First Fruit -- 10%. The Church must be supported.

But if there is 'corruption' going on, I personally will not place my tithe into 'dead ground.' I will give it as the Lord leads me to give "And" I would pray about my membership in a Ministry which does not respect the hard earned funds of its supporters.

My 'Gifts' are extra amd they go to other Ministries, Support Organizations. One of my committments is "Feed the Children" (www.feedthechildren.org) . They are a legitimate Ministry and they are doing what they say they are doing. Their audits have never proven to be faulty. Other than that, my home Church is first with the Tithe. :yep:

You are most welcome. :yep: :Rose:

chrstndiva

My husband and I tithe off of our gross income. I figured if Uncle Sam gets his cut off the top, so should God. I have always tithed off gross (this is how my parents taught me to tithe).

When I first moved, I was still tithing to my home church until I became active in a local church. That was what the spirit led me to do. You should pray about it and do what the spirit leads you do.

My husband and I gift on top of tithing. Sometimes we gift to an organization, another church or ministry, or a person. The Lord just keeps blessing us so we just pass it on.

I will pray that you get clarity on this issue and do what you are led to do.

jeanne516

My answer is in ur quote as well:

The Amount to Give

I would say the gross...I used to give the net when I was working before, but I have decided to give from the gross of my increase...meaning that it is God who blessed me with the job/increase, therefore he deserves the firstfruits of the blessing, not the government.

Where to?
Well it depends. The Bible says in Malachi 3:10 to "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in my house...". The church that I would define to be the storehouse that I am giving to is whichever church I am an official member in, regardless of whether or not I am active there. Every member of a church is not an active member, yet they still are members - therefore they should be contributing somehow...keep in mind that Malachi says so "that there may be meat in my house", so even though you're not "active", your contribution (whether physically or financially) is still needed so that these ministries can function...

I do both...My offering is half of whatever my tithe is, in addition to the tithe...sometimes I give it to the church, other times, I give it to people...I haven't gotten into giving to organizations as of yet, but I would like to do something like that on a monthly basis once I find an organization that I really like.
And just to add, I personally believe that as Christians, tithing ought not to be an option for us, because the Bible specifically commands us to do so, just like the rest of the obligations that we have as Christians (Malachi 3:10)

HTH

tuffCOOKiE

Thank you so much for input ladies. Thank you for helping me come to a decision, but I will definitely be praying on it!!

Thanks again!

HeChangedMyName

Gross is easiest for me

To your home church or wherever God leads you(it is all his so where is not the biggest issue, but how the money is being used, whether for the kingdom or for some pastor's personal gain) also the spirit in which you give makes a difference, so unless you knew specifically that the money wasn't being used for the kingdom, your spiritual intent will allow you to be blessed by your giving heart regardless.

Gifts go where God leads you to gift. Sometimes it's a ministry or community assistance program, other times it may be a person in your life that God lays on your heart to help financially. Other times, it may be a special offering that the church itself is asking for and you can sow into that with a gift.

Be blessed in your tithing, I love your spirit for giving and your desire to give according to God's requirements. Way To Go sister!!!

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Has anyone been taught that Tithing is optional?

I sure it has been taught by those who don't want to 'commit' to it or are trying to justify why they do not.

Anything is optional; tithing is still a personal choice/decision.

HOWEVER.......

Some choices just aren't worth acting upon, especially if it's in rebellion. :nono:

MrJohnsonsRib

I have always paid 10% of my take home pay and then at the end of the year I give another 10% from my income tax check.

That's what I do...but I have since reconsidered my tithin calculations with my military allowances....I am not sure if they should be pooled into that other pool I take tithes from, I will have to pray about it....

A good friend of mine says he pays tithes for how much money he WANTS to make, which was very intriguing to me.....if I tithes $500 per month I dream to be blessed with the income of $5,000 per month....hmm...which brings an income of $60,000 per year...not bad....I could use that kind of income....what do you ladies think about that concept?? I mean not in a fashion to pimp or bribe God lol but just more like a sacrifice to God showing that you will give more than enough to show your trust and faith in him that he will provide you more abundantly than you could ever imagine! I'm thinking hard....thinking harder...I'm gonna think more. :)

OhmyKimB

That's what I do...but I have since reconsidered my tithin calculations with my military allowances....I am not sure if they should be pooled into that other pool I take tithes from, I will have to pray about it....

A good friend of mine says he pays tithes for how much money he WANTS to make, which was very intriguing to me.....if I tithes $500 per month I dream to be blessed with the income of $5,000 per month....hmm...which brings an income of $60,000 per year...not bad....I could use that kind of income....what do you ladies think about that concept?? I mean not in a fashion to pimp or bribe God lol but just more like a sacrifice to God showing that you will give more than enough to show your trust and faith in him that he will provide you more abundantly than you could ever imagine! I'm thinking hard....thinking harder...I'm gonna think more. :)

I asked my mom about that and she said it's very do-able!

juju

Can someone answer my questions pls?

I receive my salary twice a month,
prepay and final at the end of the month

is it better to wait till the month is over before tithing ?

or tith from the prepay and then tith again with the final salary at the end of the month?

BeautifulFlower

I tithe on my gross and I generally round up. I gift off tax refund because they have already been tithe on since I tithe on my gross. I give the same amount every Sunday on schedule.

I believe its important to tithe to the church that you are actually in ministry with. Thats a general rule for me but the bible says to send it to the "storehouse", wherever that may be for you.

I have been taught that you can not gift without tithing. God does not recognize it as a sacrifice to his kingdom. And of course, tithing is about your sacrifice to God and is to be acceptable to him.

BeautifulFlower

Can someone answer my questions pls?

I receive my salary twice a month,
prepay and final at the end of the month

is it better to wait till the month is over before tithing ?

or tith from the prepay and then tith again with the final salary at the end of the month?

I believe you should tithe as you receive the money so dont 'forget' or have the urge to spend and then replace it. The bible instructs us to give the first fruits. While you may not be able to go to pay tithes the day you get paid, its important to have in your mind and possible pull cash or write a check to give on Sunday when you do get paid.

msb34

I've never been taught that, but I believe, through studying the sciptures, that Christians were never under mandate to tithe, and that we are instructed to give.:yep:

I agree with you. In MY opinion, tithing is apart of Old Testament law. We are not under the law today. If you make a vow to tithe to your church then you should make good on that vow. I haven't made such a vow to my church.

discobiscuits

Has anyone been taught that Tithing is optional?

I have.

I was also taught that since the 10 commandments did not mention fornication it was okay to have sex if you were not married.

Just because one was taught something does not make it right or true.

I agree with you. In MY opinion, tithing is apart of Old Testament law. We are not under the law today. If you make a vow to tithe to your church then you should make good on that vow. I haven't made such a vow to my church.

I've never been taught that, but I believe, through studying the sciptures, that Christians were never under mandate to tithe, and that we are instructed to give.:yep:

I find both of these comments interesting. I've only been a member of two churches my whole life and a visitor in many. They teach tithing out of the OT but say it applies now even under NT "freedom" because Jesus fulfilled the law, he did not do away with it. I only ever heard one person say you don't have to tithe as an obligation like SB said, but out of obedience.

To me I'd rather just do it (required or not) that way no matter what, I am supporting my church and the community.

Last edited:

1god1

As it was stated earlier....I also tithe from the Gross...cuz Uncle Sam gets his cut from the top. I tithe to the church I attend....it there was a second church involved that I visited somtimes, I would give that church an offering. I feel blessed to tithe because I have an income......the light bills can't pay themselves.....

PaperClip

I was also taught that since the 10 commandments did not mention fornication it was okay to have sex if you were not married.

1Star, ^^^THAT. IS. HILARIOUS!!!!:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

I guess they conveniently ignored the "thou shalt not covet" commandment!

True!:yep:

I do not PAY my tithes. I GIVE THEM, willingly, cheerfully.

I tithe off the gross. I tithe off of all my increase. I do claim church donations (which is inclusive of tithing; my church compiles annual statements of giving records) and I have NO PROBLEM DOING THAT. I see it is ANOTHER EXAMPLE of what the Word of God says in Luke 6:38: Give and it shall be given unto you....

There are times when I don't use an envelope to give an offering (therefore it's not recorded by man but's it's DEFINITELY RECORDED BY THE LORD!!:grin::yep:)

I've shared more than one praise report about the rewards of tithing. Here's the latest: I'm a doctoral candidate getting ready to begin my data collection (interviews). I'm to get the interviews transcribed. Market rates for the transcription services run at least $1,500. I did not have $1,500 for that. I prayed about it. I asked my circle of people if they could "hook a sista up" where I would give them a lil' something for their trouble.

I was at school and I happened to joke about needing transcription services. A faculty member in my program heard what I said. He walked away. He came back and looked at me and said "I overbudgeted my grant project re. transcription services. I budgeted for 100 hours and I don't need that many but I didn't want to cancel the service. You can use them."

Here's me::blush::blush::blush::look::blush::blush::blush:***are you serious?***:blush::blush::blush::dizzy::yay::clapping::pray::pray:Hallelujahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Southernbella.

I have.

I find both of these comments interesting. I've only been a member of two churches my whole life and a visitor in many. They teach tithing out of the OT but say it applies now even under NT "freedom" because Jesus fulfilled the law, he did not do away with it. I only ever heard one person say you don't have to tithe as an obligation like SB said, but out of obedience.

To me I'd rather just do it (required or not) that way no matter what, I am supporting my church and the community.

Of course churches teach tithing.:yep: They have no incentive to teach what Paul instructed early Christians to do, which was to give what is in their hearts to give, not under compulsion (which is exactly what a tithe is). Churches have budgets and expenditures and they need to know exactly what's coming in so that the can plan accordingly. That's why they like for you to fill out your envelopes every week. :yep:

The tithe that we Christians are taught is so totally different from the Biblical concept of tithing that I don't think what we do can even be called a tithe, but that's another subject.

If God has placed it in your heart to tithe (give 10%) and you do that, then that is freewill giving.:yep: If he's placed it in you to give more or less, that is also freewill giving, which is what we have been called to do.:grin:

cocoa2122

The Amount to Give

Is this gross or, net?

I tithe off of the gross.

Where to?
I tithe where I get fed spiritually, which would be the church where I am a member of.

In my church we are taught that an offering or gifts are only ABOVE what the tithe is, but yes, everything above and beyond the tithe is my offering. It's kind of like if u had a bill for $50 but you told the bill collector you want to pay extra, but only give him a $10. You can't give extra when you haven't paid what was due. That's how I think of the "giving/offering" subject.

msb34

I have.

Does the church still adhere to all other Old Testament Law? I really would love to hear how this is handled in your church. When I read my bible, I read the Old Testament in terms of the revelation of Christ/or how the books of the Old Testament point to Christ and to really understand God's nature. I read the New Testament to learn of the New Covenant that we have with God through Christ. I guess I'm just a little puzzled about how Old Testament Law applies today. I am sincerely looking for an understanding.

moonglowdiva

"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the Lord Almighty, "and see if I will through open the flood gates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it." ~ Malachi 3:10

Bring 1/10 of your gross income into the church soithat the church can operate efficiently. Don't believe God, He said test Him. Tithe on 15% and see what happens. His word is clear!

Give and it will be given. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running overn, will be poured into your lap. For the measure you use, it will be measured to you. ~ Luke 6: 38
Oftentimes the underlined part is omitted but this is the most important part because it is the condition. If you give with a spoon your portion will be measure back with a spoon. It best to give with a shovel.

And Lastly
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." ~ Matthew 5:17
Jesus is fulfilling the law period. So yes, you must pay your tithe.

Southernbella.

I think it's pretty reckless to consider some Old Testament laws more important than others. Who's to say which laws still apply and which ones don't? How did you come to the conclusion? I've been wondering this for awhile, and nobody every seems to answer it.