Tithing - Let's discuss ..

Southernbella.

The New Testament affirms the fact that the Mosaic Covenant has ceased to function as a valid covenant. Hebrews 8–9 makes it clear that Jesus came as the Mediator of a covenant that replaced the old one. "By calling this covenant ‘new,’ he has made the first one obsolete" (Heb. 8:13). Thus the Mosaic Covenant is no longer functional or valid as a covenant. This has important implications for one’s understanding of the Law.

The Old Testament Law specified the terms by which Israel could receive blessings in the land under the Old (Mosaic) Covenant. If the Old Covenant is no longer valid, how can the laws that make up that covenant still be valid? If the Old Covenant is obsolete, should not also the laws in that Old Covenant be seen as obsolete?

Paul stated repeatedly that Christians are not under the Old Testament Law. For example in Galatians 2:15–16 he wrote, "A man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ." In Romans 7:4 Paul stated, "You also died to the law through the body of Christ." In Galatians 3:25 he declared, "Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law." Paul argued vigorously against Christians returning to the Old Testament Law. If there was a distinction between civil, ceremonial, and moral laws, it was unusual that Paul ignored it. Furthermore, if the moral laws were to be understood as universally applicable, one would expect Paul at least to use them as the basis for Christian moral behavior. However, as Goldingay points out,
Paul "does not generally base his moral teaching on this foundation but on the nature of the gospel, the guidance of the Spirit, and the practice of the churches."11

How, then, should Jesus’ words in Matthew 5:17 be understood? He said, "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." Did Jesus and Paul contradict each other? Not at all. First, the phrase "the Law and the Prophets" refers to the entire Old Testament. So in this verse Jesus was not speaking of only the Mosaic Law. Also the antithesis is not between "abolish" and "observe," but between "abolish" and "fulfill." Jesus did not claim that He came to observe the Law or to keep the Law; rather He came to fulfill it. The word ("to fulfill") occurs numerous times in Matthew, and it normally means, "to bring to its intended meaning." Jesus was not stating that the Law is eternally binding on New Testament believers. If that were the case, Christians today would be required to keep the sacrificial and ceremonial laws as well as the moral ones, and that would clearly violate other portions of the New Testament.

Jesus was saying that He did not come to sweep away the righteous demands of the Law, but that He came to fulfill its righteous demands. As the climax of this aspect of salvation history, Jesus fulfilled all the righteous demands and all the prophetic foreshadowing of the Law and of the Prophets. In addition Jesus was the final Interpreter of and Authority over the Law and its meaning, as other passages in Mathew indicate. Jesus restated some of the Old Testament laws (19:18–19), but some He modified (5:31–32). Some He intensified (5:21–22, 27–28 ), and others He changed significantly (5:33–37, 38–42, 43–47). Some laws He abrogated entirely (Mark 7:15–19).

Jesus was not advocating the continuation of the traditional Jewish approach of adherence to the Law. Nor was He advocating that the Law be dismissed altogether. He was proclaiming that the meaning of the Law must be interpreted in light of His coming and in light of the profound changes introduced by the New Covenant.

Southernbella.

It seems pretty clear to me. Either we're under the Old Covenant or we're not. I don't think we can pick out certain Old Testament laws to follow just because it's tradition.

discobiscuits

Does the church still adhere to all other Old Testament Law? I really would love to hear how this is handled in your church. When I read my bible, I read the Old Testament in terms of the revelation of Christ/or how the books of the Old Testament point to Christ and to really understand God's nature. I read the New Testament to learn of the New Covenant that we have with God through Christ. I guess I'm just a little puzzled about how Old Testament Law applies today. I am sincerely looking for an understanding.

msb:
I'm famous for questioning everything but when it comes to tithing, I gave up after a while. I never got an answer that I was satisfied with. So I decided that it was not a false teaching so I just accepted it and tithe.

My church teaches to tithe 10% of gross income. They give us yearly statements so that we can use it for a tax deduction. We are also taught to pay our taxes.

Here, read this http://www.wcg.org/lit/law/tithing.htm. It has several good points. Particularly that we give out of love and not to the point of impoverishing ourselves to enrich others. Tithing supports your local church to do its work and pay the staff among other things. This article mentions Christ removing the penalty of the law from us.

Under the new covenant things are about the condition of one's heart and the motivation behind what one does verses required obedience. Jesus made it clear that if we actively practice the spirit of the law, we will by default obey the letter of it (Matthew 22:36-40).

Last edited:

Southernbella.

msb:
I'm famous for questioning everything but when it comes to tithing, I gave up after a while. I never got an answer that I was satisfied with. So I decided that it was not a false teaching so I just accepted it and tithe.

My church teaches to tithe 10% of gross income. They give us yearly statements so that we can use it for a tax deduction. We are also taught to pay our taxes.

As long as you have peace about it, that's all that matters. :yep: It's only false teaching if you are being taught that you are disobeying God and will be cursed in some way if you don't tithe.

msb34

msb:

Thanks for replying.

Belle Du Jour

I have a few questions about tithing:

-I will be working and plan on tithing. I'm moving to a new area. Since it will probably take me some time to find a church, should I just tithe to whatever church I'm going to?
-Can you tithe to any church ministry ie online ministry, tv misters, etc.
-Does giving to charity count? If so, does it have to be a church based/religious charity?

TIA!

Thanks.

Belle Du Jour

msb:

Here, read this http://www.wcg.org/lit/law/tithing.htm. It has several good points. Particularly that we give out of love and not to the point of impoverishing ourselves to enrich others. Tithing supports your local church to do its work and pay the staff among other things. This article mentions Christ removing the penalty of the law from us.

Under the new covenant things are about the condition of one's heart and the motivation behind what one does verses required obedience. Jesus made it clear that if we actively practice the spirit of the law, we will by default obey the letter of it (Matthew 22:36-40).

So it's okay to file it as well?

Belle Du Jour

I justd wanted to add that I'm looking forward to tithing, because it means that I have an income to tithe with. I've been in school for hte last 4 years and living off student loans, so I didn't tithe. However, I do know that whenever I give money in the offering or to someone in need, I receive that money back, either found money or a relative send me unexpected money in the mail. God is good and I am happy to give in whatever way I can.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Great response 1star...tithing really is between you and God. I'm a tither, because I obey God. :)

TrustMeLove

I like what Mark Driscoll (sp) says about tithing. He says that in the Old Testament the Jews gave a tithe (which means 10th) but with all the things that needed financial support in the temple they have upwards to 25-27% of their income.

In the New Testament tithing isn't talked about in such detail but giving is talked about greatly. For some folks 10% wouldn't change your lifestyle, but for others it's a great sacrifice. He talked about the woman who gave her 1 coin compared to the Pharisse's and how she gave more than they did eventhough they gave a lot more than she did. She gave more because she didn't have a coin to give up..Talk about the difference between food being on the table, the lights being on, and tithing....so she made a great sacrifice.

In short he said as Christians our base is 10% (for those who really can give) and it goes upward from there.

Now, I usually give 10% off my net, 10% off my income tax, and an offering each Sunday.

Am I the only one who gets excited when you get your Tithe and Offerng Statement back each year? lol. I get juiced off of giving. And to see how that statement compares to my w-2. I just think about how much I gave and how I didn't feel the pinch throughout the year. It's a TESTAMENT to God and how he keeps his promises and is watching over his word to perform it...it's major. Malachi 3 is no joke.

I usually tithe on a Tuesday (online tithe) and when Sunday comes I give an offering. For some reason I just seem to have "extra" money. So giving an offering is easy. Especially, when I tithe and your like wow....that's a lot of money from my lil ole pay check. But, I trust and believe God. Than Sunday comes and I have "extra" money. Hahahaha. So I just give an offering at that time.

Last edited:

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
LOL... nope. You're not alone. I believe we should always give God our best and our first. Serving God doesn't make us righteous BUT righteous people will serve God. :)

The Bible clearly states that we must honor God with our capital.
Proverbs 3:9 (amplified)
Honor the Lord with your capital and sufficiency [from righteous labors] and with the first fruits of all your income;

What is capital? The stock of accumulated goods, as pertaining to income or gain (Merriam-Websters).. Aka Moo-lah, bread, dough.. LOL

Am I the only one who gets excited when you get your Tithe and Offerng Statement back each year? lol. I get juiced off of giving.

silenttullip

well I give an offering because in the bible tithing never speaks of women. It says men should give 10 percent. And then it didnt just mean money they even ate their tithes. If ya need bible for it I'll supply the verses.