To clear the air about protein...

angellazette

[ QUOTE ]
SweetPea said:
Thanks for the info, supergirl. The uses, benefits, and potential dangers of protein has always been a little foggy to me, so your explanation broke it down for me. Can you also say a few words on reconstructors? When should we use one, how often, etc? That would be greatly appreciated

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I want to know about...if certain protein conditioners can be used weekly followed by a moisturizing conditioner, can the same be said for reconstructors? The only one I know about is aphogee 2 min reconstructor though...

SoniT

Karonica - What happened with you used the Motions conditioner? Was it the Motions Oil Moisturizer Protein conditioner? I used that one a few times and wasn't that impressed. Is Motions CPR treatment considered a protein conditioner?

keylargo

I've found that certain proteins used in styling products causes my hair to feel dry and break. The only protein I like to use in my hair after it's dry is wheat protein.

As far as conditioners, I use some type of protein conditioner every week. It's help me extend my relaxer touchups. I'm going on 9 weeks now which is a first for me. I alternate between Emergencee(which has never made my hair feel hard) and Aubrey's GPB

Karonica

It was the Moisturizer Protein conditioner, the thick stuff in the jar. My hair was harder than a BRICK! My gawd.
Also, I have eased up on using Fantasia gel because I know it has some sort of protein in it, and when I put it on my hair, it makes it hard, which I don't mind. However, when I shampoo and condition it, I notice it just doesn't feel as soft.

Now, Supergirl said to avoid Keratin, and I used to be a profectiv JUNKIE and you know their cremes have that in there. And they never bothered my hair at all. Just goes to show you how different our hair is.

shinyblackhair

Girl, you are so knowledgeable. That's why your hair is tha bomb! Okay, I just bought Profective Healthy ends today (wanted to see the diff between that and MegaGrowth) when you said:

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
If they were--they would not be sold over the counter OR the directions would explicitly tell you to only use the products every so many days. (examples: Profectiv break-free& healthy ends, ORS Carrot Cream)

[/ QUOTE ]

are you saying that you can use it daily or you can't??? I didn't even realize that this had protein, but I guess it makes sense that it would. I just want to be sure that the Healthy Ends is a "safe" protein....thanks in advance.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Yes,

There should be no problems with "daily-use" products like this unless the packaging says to only use X number of times per week.

BrEE

nexxus headress has wheat flour lipids and keratin amino acids as the 4th and 5th ingredients.is this good as a leave in to use every day?? caue i surely use it everyyyy day.

ms_kenesha

I tend to avoid styling products with protein in them because they make my hair super hard and just leads to breakage...this may be due to the fact that my hair is over-porous so my strands soak up this protein and end up being brittle...this means no Perm Repair, no Pre-Con gel (gave that up in middle school), and none of the like. If something is going in my hair and not going to be washed out it will not have protein in it.
My hair just can't take it.

However I could use Emergencee bi-weekly and Elucence's EMRT every week if I want with no adverse effects. And I save Aphogee Damaged Hair Treatment for major events like relaxing or outta control breakage.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Bree,

I'm not too familiar with Headdress--but the wheat flour lipids sounds like a great ingredient. As far as the Keratin goes, I have used leave-ins with Keratin in them, hated some and loved others. Sorry I'm not very helpful with this one--I guess we'll have to listen to your hair on this one.

Ms. K,

You took it back with the pre-con gel, didn'tcha?

northernbelle

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
Hey Ladies!

I've noticed on some of the threads, there seems to be some confusion and misconceptions about protein in hair products. I've noticed that some think that the use of (overuse) of) any protein is bad for the hair.

But the only protein that we really want to avoid over doing it with is Keratin. Also, sometimes "Hydrolyzed Animal Protein" appears in the ingredient list & this is one that we also do not want to overuse. Keratin is the protein naturally found in hair so when we use a hair product with Keratin, it adds structure & strength to our hair. It does this by hardening (strengthening) the hair to a degree. This is why we moisturize after strong protein treatments
It is said that overuse of a protein conditioner can cause the hair to become dry and brittle. If it is Keratin, this is true--BUT...

There are even protein conditioners with Keratin in them that are safe for weekly use-IF YOU FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS (K-Pak & Keraphix are 2 that come to mind) Humectress has Keratin and is safe for use DAILY. The old formula of Mizani Moisturefuse had keratin protein in it & I used it faithfully(weekly) in college & my hair thrived thrived thrived!!!!!!!! ( and I was still using quite a bit of heat during this time)

The other proteins we encounter in hair products besides keratin are not naturally found in the hair but are beneficial to the hair. I won't go into detail (we have a thread about all of it) but these proteins are moisturizing, shining, smoothing, elastic, etc. proteins. Proteins from "starchy" sources also offer mild structuring (examples: wheat & rice protein)

The strong protein conditioners (that I can think of) that would be detrimental with overuse would be INTENSE treatments such as DRC 28, Aphogee, & Emergencee.

"Over the counter" products for everyday use that contain protein are not dangerous to your hair. If they were--they would not be sold over the counter OR the directions would explicitly tell you to only use the products every so many days. (examples: Profectiv break-free& healthy ends, ORS Carrot Cream)

So in conclusion, don't fret about protein. Don't be paranoid that every little protein is bad. Don't be like "ooo, protein!" and shake like they did on Lion King to "ooo Mufasa--say it again! Mufasa!"
In fact--if you are relaxed, you betta get some protein up in that mane of yours. If you want your ends to stay thick and healthy for longer periods of time--protein is key to your hair's diet. If you use any drip-drop of heat EVA(ever) in your hair, get some protein.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

[/ QUOTE ]

So, therefore, Supergirl, I am able to use the Joico K-Pak on a weekly basis, if needed? Am I understanding you correctly?

I only use protein treatments about every four weeks. Now that I have been receiving the steamer treatments, my hair is not in such desperate need of my at-home treatments, because the stylist applies a reconstructor when I receive the steamer treament.

northernbelle

UmSumayyah

I went to the joico website and it said the k-pak was to be used 2-3 times a week. (I'm assuming they mean for people who wash daily) HTH.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
[ QUOTE ]
northernbelle said:
[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
Hey Ladies!

I've noticed on some of the threads, there seems to be some confusion and misconceptions about protein in hair products. I've noticed that some think that the use of (overuse) of) any protein is bad for the hair.

But the only protein that we really want to avoid over doing it with is Keratin. Also, sometimes "Hydrolyzed Animal Protein" appears in the ingredient list & this is one that we also do not want to overuse. Keratin is the protein naturally found in hair so when we use a hair product with Keratin, it adds structure & strength to our hair. It does this by hardening (strengthening) the hair to a degree. This is why we moisturize after strong protein treatments
It is said that overuse of a protein conditioner can cause the hair to become dry and brittle. If it is Keratin, this is true--BUT...

There are even protein conditioners with Keratin in them that are safe for weekly use-IF YOU FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS (K-Pak & Keraphix are 2 that come to mind) Humectress has Keratin and is safe for use DAILY. The old formula of Mizani Moisturefuse had keratin protein in it & I used it faithfully(weekly) in college & my hair thrived thrived thrived!!!!!!!! ( and I was still using quite a bit of heat during this time)

The other proteins we encounter in hair products besides keratin are not naturally found in the hair but are beneficial to the hair. I won't go into detail (we have a thread about all of it) but these proteins are moisturizing, shining, smoothing, elastic, etc. proteins. Proteins from "starchy" sources also offer mild structuring (examples: wheat & rice protein)

The strong protein conditioners (that I can think of) that would be detrimental with overuse would be INTENSE treatments such as DRC 28, Aphogee, & Emergencee.

"Over the counter" products for everyday use that contain protein are not dangerous to your hair. If they were--they would not be sold over the counter OR the directions would explicitly tell you to only use the products every so many days. (examples: Profectiv break-free& healthy ends, ORS Carrot Cream)

So in conclusion, don't fret about protein. Don't be paranoid that every little protein is bad. Don't be like "ooo, protein!" and shake like they did on Lion King to "ooo Mufasa--say it again! Mufasa!"
In fact--if you are relaxed, you betta get some protein up in that mane of yours. If you want your ends to stay thick and healthy for longer periods of time--protein is key to your hair's diet. If you use any drip-drop of heat EVA(ever) in your hair, get some protein.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

[/ QUOTE ]

So, therefore, Supergirl, I am able to use the Joico K-Pak on a weekly basis, if needed? Am I understanding you correctly?

I only use protein treatments about every four weeks. Now that I have been receiving the steamer treatments, my hair is not in such desperate need of my at-home treatments, because the stylist applies a reconstructor when I receive the steamer treament.

northernbelle

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes ma'am
K-Pak can be used weekly.

Spagirl

Supergirl: I have been sharing with others that when I use a clarifying shampoo that I follow up mostly with KeraCare care Hydrating Detangling Shampoo (tip I picked up on LHCF). In reading the ingredients of this shampoo I notice that it contains Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein. I also notice on another shampoo that works well after clarifying has another form of Hydrolyzed protein. Could it be that the protein in the shampoo is the reason my hair bounces back immediately from the stripping effect of the clarifying shampoo? What's your opinion?