To clear the air about protein...

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
[ QUOTE ]
Spagirl said:
Supergirl: I have been sharing with others that when I use a clarifying shampoo that I follow up mostly with KeraCare care Hydrating Detangling Shampoo (tip I picked up on LHCF). In reading the ingredients of this shampoo I notice that it contains Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein. I also notice on another shampoo that works well after clarifying has another form of Hydrolyzed protein. Could it be that the protein in the shampoo is the reason my hair bounces back immediately from the stripping effect of the clarifying shampoo? What's your opinion?

[/ QUOTE ]

probably not. It's moreso because of the moisturizing properties in the shampoo. That's why you should always follow your clarifying shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo even though you will be conditioning the hair.

Honeyhips

Lovely
Thank you SOOO MUCH for this info on proteins.

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
Spagirl said:
Supergirl: I have been sharing with others that when I use a clarifying shampoo that I follow up mostly with KeraCare care Hydrating Detangling Shampoo (tip I picked up on LHCF). In reading the ingredients of this shampoo I notice that it contains Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein. I also notice on another shampoo that works well after clarifying has another form of Hydrolyzed protein. Could it be that the protein in the shampoo is the reason my hair bounces back immediately from the stripping effect of the clarifying shampoo? What's your opinion?

[/ QUOTE ]

probably not. It's moreso because of the moisturizing properties in the shampoo. That's why you should always follow your clarifying shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo even though you will be conditioning the hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know this either. Wow, how do you know so much? HOw can I begin to learn?

Spagirl

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
Spagirl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a little confussed (
okay, totally confussed)...Are you saying hydrolized wheat protein and some of the other hydrolized plant proteins are not moisturizing to the hair? Or, are you they are moisturizing but when it comes to the shampoo it is more of the other moisturizing properties, in addition to the hydolized plant protein, that is making the difference? Or, something else altogether? TIA!

sengschick

The Bun Master
I'm always confused about protein...
Where doesn't Elasta's Breakage Control Serum fit in terms of strong-medium-mild protein?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
[ QUOTE ]
Spagirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
Spagirl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a little confussed (
okay, totally confussed)...Are you saying hydrolized wheat protein and some of the other hydrolized plant proteins are not moisturizing to the hair? Or, are you they are moisturizing but when it comes to the shampoo it is more of the other moisturizing properties, in addition to the hydolized plant protein, that is making the difference? Or, something else altogether? TIA!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm saying that no matter what moisturizing shampoo(as long as it's quality) you use after you clarify, it will be good for your hair. It could contain wheat protein, keratin protein, milk protein, silk protein, or no protein--but if it's moisturizing it should get the job done after a clarifying shampoo. Hope that makes sense...

Spagirl

Thanks! Yes, moisturizing makes sense since most clarifiers strip. I was trying to get to the specifics on ingredients (kitchen technican in the making). I since have found this thread Hydrolyzed silk protien and wheat protien were you and others answered the question I originally had in mind. Sorry for the confusion.

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
So in conclusion, don't fret about protein. Don't be paranoid that every little protein is bad. Don't be like "ooo, protein!" and shake like they did on Lion King to "ooo Mufasa--say it again! Mufasa!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Mufasa, Mufasa, Mufasaaa!

LEOLADYSW

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
Yes, but it now has wheat protein.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks supergirl, so does this mean moisturefuse is safe to use on a weekly more more basis?

aprilbiz

Okay Supergirl, I just re-read and caught this!

[ QUOTE ]
Don't be like "ooo, protein!" and shake like they did on Lion King to "ooo Mufasa--say it again! Mufasa!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Karonica said:
It was the Moisturizer Protein conditioner, the thick stuff in the jar. My hair was harder than a BRICK! My gawd.
Did you use a moisturizing conditioner or moisturizer afterwards?

SexyC

Thanks Supergirl!!
It's funny that I am just reading this thread because I think my hair is addicted to protein.My hair is soooo thin and brittle and without doing regular protein treatments my hair would not have survived this long.It is finnally past my shoulders and heading past my armpit once I get my touch up.My hair never past my shoulders so now I know I was doing something right!! Thanks again .

Akacentric10

Quick question....I saw someone mentioned egg protein as a bad thing for hair. I have a natural and put real raw egg in my hair once or twice a month as an all natural protein treatment (in addition to the other vitamins, cholesterol and nutrients in eggs). Is there something bad about egg protein? Just curious!

divinefavor

Thanks for the clarification!

Question, for those fine/thin hair what type of protein treatments do use and how often?

PinkPeony

That's a great thread but I'am still confused:( .
I just had a little protein overload and so naturally I wanna moisturize my hair to achieve a healthy balance between moisture and protein.
So is it still ok to use a conditioner that contains protein even tough it is NOT a protein conditioner?:confused: Since my hair is on the verge of breaking due to protein overload shouldn't I avoid ANY type of protein???
I'am speaking about Suave Berrysmoothie and it has milk protein in it.

Sorry about my questions but I couldn't find anything in my searches.

ella said:
That's a great thread but I'am still confused:( .
I just had a little protein overload and so naturally I wanna moisturize my hair to achieve a healthy balance between moisture and protein.
So is it still ok to use a conditioner that contains protein even tough it is NOT a protein conditioner?:confused: Since my hair is on the verge of breaking due to protein overload shouldn't I avoid ANY type of protein???
I'am speaking about Suave Berrysmoothie and it has milk protein in it.

Sorry about my questions but I couldn't find anything in my searches.

you can suffer from protein overload and still use a moisturizing contioner that contains protein. i don't think the suave would be a good condtioner to combat protein overload b/c i don't think suave would be moisturizing enough

CAPlush

I have used ORS Replenishing pak (which has small amounts of protein) to follow up an aphogee protein treatment and that was the most moisturized my hair has ever been following a protein treatment. I think the collagen proteins in the product helped my hair with elasticity, which your hair also need following lots of hardening proteins. Check your stash and use a conditioner your hair finds to be moisturizing and ignore ingredients as long as the conditioner is not another protein treatment. I recommend that you use a cholesterol conditioner or something like Motions Moisture Plus or NTM Daily Deep Conditioner. Good luck!