To clear the air about protein...

PinkPeony

Thx for your reply's.I baggied my whole head last night with Suave Humectant and if that is not enough I will try ORS Replenishing Pak:)

amwcah

Supergirl said:
Hey Ladies!

I've noticed on some of the threads, there seems to be some confusion and misconceptions about protein in hair products. I've noticed that some think that the use of (overuse) of) any protein is bad for the hair.

But the only protein that we really want to avoid over doing it with is Keratin. Also, sometimes "Hydrolyzed Animal Protein" appears in the ingredient list & this is one that we also do not want to overuse. Keratin is the protein naturally found in hair so when we use a hair product with Keratin, it adds structure & strength to our hair. It does this by hardening (strengthening) the hair to a degree. This is why we moisturize after strong protein treatments
It is said that overuse of a protein conditioner can cause the hair to become dry and brittle. If it is Keratin, this is true--BUT...

There are even protein conditioners with Keratin in them that are safe for weekly use-IF YOU FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS (K-Pak & Keraphix are 2 that come to mind) Humectress has Keratin and is safe for use DAILY. The old formula of Mizani Moisturefuse had keratin protein in it & I used it faithfully(weekly) in college & my hair thrived thrived thrived!!!!!!!! ( and I was still using quite a bit of heat during this time)

The other proteins we encounter in hair products besides keratin are not naturally found in the hair but are beneficial to the hair. I won't go into detail (we have a thread about all of it) but these proteins are moisturizing, shining, smoothing, elastic, etc. proteins. Proteins from "starchy" sources also offer mild structuring (examples: wheat & rice protein)

The strong protein conditioners (that I can think of) that would be detrimental with overuse would be INTENSE treatments such as DRC 28, Aphogee, & Emergencee.

"Over the counter" products for everyday use that contain protein are not dangerous to your hair. If they were--they would not be sold over the counter OR the directions would explicitly tell you to only use the products every so many days. (examples: Profectiv break-free& healthy ends, ORS Carrot Cream)

So in conclusion, don't fret about protein. Don't be paranoid that every little protein is bad. Don't be like "ooo, protein!" and shake like they did on Lion King to "ooo Mufasa--say it again! Mufasa!"
In fact--if you are relaxed, you betta get some protein up in that mane of yours. If you want your ends to stay thick and healthy for longer periods of time--protein is key to your hair's diet. If you use any drip-drop of heat EVA(ever) in your hair, get some protein.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

Hey, these are products I use. Thanks for the info. So, Keratin is the culprit. Gotcha! Yes, KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

Thanks Supergirl!

Amarech

Thanks for the thread! I was wondering too because I use Joico and it has protein in it. I feel even better about my regimen.:yep:

pazyamor

I, too, have some problems understanding "protein overload"...I'm still kinda fuzzy on which proteins I can regularly use...but, the thread starter, Supergirl, started this thread years ago, so I'm not sure if she would think to check this thread and give me some feedback...hmm:perplexed

belldandy

maybe op's hair isn't very protein sensitive. but I personally have to watch the protein, even in over the counter products. it can throw my porosity off, giving me hard hair.

toufa

[ QUOTE ]
Spagirl said:
Supergirl: I have been sharing with others that when I use a clarifying shampoo that I follow up mostly with KeraCare care Hydrating Detangling Shampoo (tip I picked up on LHCF). In reading the ingredients of this shampoo I notice that it contains Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein. I also notice on another shampoo that works well after clarifying has another form of Hydrolyzed protein. Could it be that the protein in the shampoo is the reason my hair bounces back immediately from the stripping effect of the clarifying shampoo? What's your opinion?

[/ QUOTE ]

probably not. It's moreso because of the moisturizing properties in the shampoo. That's why you should always follow your clarifying shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo even though you will be conditioning the hair.

Hmmm. I just bought some AO Green Tea Clarifying Shampoo and AO GPD Conditioner. Can I just use those two together since the GPB is supposed to moisturize or do I absolutely have to also use a moisturizing shampoo as an inbetween step?

Last edited:

Wanderland

I personally would not wash with a clarifying poo then follow up again with another poo. If anything maybe a moisturizing conditioner.

When I use AOGPB I don't use another conditioner after but I try to make sure to use a leave in(I could probably just use GPB alone as it is not drying for me)

toufa

I personally would not wash with a clarifying poo then follow up again with another poo. If anything maybe a moisturizing conditioner.

When I use AOGPB I don't use another conditioner after but I try to make sure to use a leave in(I could probably just use GPB alone as it is not drying for me)

Thank you. My thinking was that the GPB would be the moisturizing conditioner (plus a little protein) that I would use after each of my clarifying shampoos (1x a month). How often do you use GPB?

Wanderland

Probably every 2 weeks. I could use it more often but I like AOHSR more, and have other conditioners to use. It's my only/staple protein conditioner though and I've tried my fair share.

silenttullip

I get what you mean totally and thanks for this post.
Meanwhile for some of us products that you can use daily like bb mayo and honey or cantu shea butter leave in can create a heck of a lot of damage with daily or even weekly use. Both of those products trashed my hair.
Maybe it was the collagen or soy protein in cantu though
It could have been the mayo or castor oil in BB... That was back before I read labels...
Either way I really appreciate the info. Hopefully it will encourage people to try conditioners with proteins that won't bother them like HSR and others.

empressri

Funnily enough I was going to come searching for a protein thread and lo and behold...

I think my hair is faring best when I use protein followed by moisture with every wash. Seriously! When it's too moisturized it gets lank and weird. For the past few washes I've done protein and then moisture and my hair sang the hallelujah chorus.

I'm lazy now so I'm multitasking, I have batia and aleeza bioprotein condish with some myhoneychild papaya hair paste on top underneath my heat therapy wrap. My hair took to it like a kid to candy.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Funnily enough I was going to come searching for a protein thread and lo and behold...

I think my hair is faring best when I use protein followed by moisture with every wash. Seriously! When it's too moisturized it gets lank and weird. For the past few washes I've done protein and then moisture and my hair sang the hallelujah chorus.

I'm lazy now so I'm multitasking, I have batia and aleeza bioprotein condish with some myhoneychild papaya hair paste on top underneath my heat therapy wrap. My hair took to it like a kid to candy.

This is exactly what I do too.:yep:

LaidBak

Last summer I discovered that this works for me too. Its benefited my hair so much!

empressri

See? When I rinsed out the conditioner..you know how you see little hairs about? I barely saw any tonight. It's making a difference.

LushLox

I've gone back to using protein every week, it's really beneficial to me. I don't keep it on long though, just 5-7 minutes; my breakage is minimal now. I do occasionally use a leave that is protein based (only on wash day normally) but I find this is useful if I'm heat styling.

Bublin

Great thread.
I remember in my teens and 20's i had no clue about protein/moisture balance and my only deep conditioner was Motions CPR. Every week i slapped it on followed by Keracare Leave-in and my hair was the longest and strongest ever then.
I've just started back using it at every wash.