• Press

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Natural

Votes: 16 84.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oglorious1

Mixologist
I am forced into family pictures, I've been running around with my hair in twists, mind you she tells me(referring to mom) two weeks instead of two months ahead of time, now I know she's said whatcha gonna do with that hair, I'm 1000% natural...so should I press or go natural

hopeful

I say go natural and really do it up with pretty earrings and wear your hair in a cute style with pretty hair pins or a flower. But I have to ask, what do you want to do? What style would you feel the prettiest and most comfortable with? That's what I would go with. hth

Divastate

hopeful said:
But I have to ask, what do you want to do? What style would you feel the prettiest and most comfortable with? That's what I would go with. hth

This is my thoughts exactly! Go for whatever you feel comfortable and pretty with- don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

oglorious1

Mixologist
hopeful said:
I say go natural and really do it up with pretty earrings and wear your hair in a cute style with pretty hair pins or a flower. But I have to ask, what do you want to do? What style would you feel the prettiest and most comfortable with? That's what I would go with. hth

I want to do my twist thing, they've come out really nice lately...thanks for the suggestions....the only thing about pressing my hair, I'm afraid I'll change the texture, because of all the heat, and my twists won't hold when I put them back in....that's what the lady at the natural hair salon told me...

ThickHair

I wouldn't do a thing. Will your mother keep you out of the picture because of your hair? If she does, that is very lame. A mother should be happyn when her child is happy.

Last edited:

TrustMeLove

If you never pressed your hair before, this isn't the time to try. Especially under such circumstances. Because if your hair doesn't bounce back obviously your going to be mad at yourself for caving into something that you were unsure of doing.

I say do it in some twist...make up..cute earings...and call it a day..

aqualung

I've pressed my natural hair to suit my mom for past portraits. She fawns over the pictures long after I've forgotten the compromise, so I go along with her show.

hopeful

oglorious1 said:
I want to do my twist thing, they've come out really nice lately...thanks for the suggestions....the only thing about pressing my hair, I'm afraid I'll change the texture, because of all the heat, and my twists won't hold when I put them back in....that's what the lady at the natural hair salon told me...

Trust your instincts girl. I've only been natural for three months and I am a little scared of heat too. If and when I straighten it will be with as little heat as possible. No one will blow dry, press, flat-iron, then hot curl my hair.:nono: Parts of my hair can barely hold a twist as it is, you are lucky your hair already holds twists well--that is a blessing. Compromise that hurts no one is one thing, compromise that you may end up regretting for months isn't fair (IMHO). Maybe check out mkstar826's album. She has some really cute twist styles.

Last edited:

jamiette

balisi said:
If it would please my mom, I would probably press.
I would probably do the same. These are pictures that were her idea. To please her and knowing my mother she would more than like have a hot comb waiting for me at the photograhy studio. Not to mention the guilt trips that mothers are good for giving if you refuse to do them "just this one little thing, after I gave birth to you and raised you." :eek: (well maybe that is just my mother) Anyhoo, yes, I would press for the photo.

Xcellence2

jamiette said:
I would probably do the same. These are pictures that were her idea. To please her and knowing my mother she would more than like have a hot comb waiting for me at the photograhy studio. Not to mention the guilt trips that mothers are good for giving if you refuse to do them "just this one little thing, after I gave birth to you and raised you." :eek: (well maybe that is just my mother) Anyhoo, yes, I would press for the photo.

I would press to please my mother. Personally, I feel that if that small step would make her happy then so be it. Also, if you airdry your hair and then straighten it with a good ceramin iron...I doubt if it would be damaged by the heat. I press my hair once a month for several months and I can still get my curls back when I wash it.

PS - Jamitette, my mom would also have to the hot comb waiting or schedule a hair appointment for me.

oglorious1

Mixologist
It seems like most of you are saying go natural...which I would most definitely prefer, I haven't gotten a verdict yet from mom...I'll let you all know what happens, as of right now it's still up in the air...I think I'm gonna put my foot down and go in twists..

Ayeshia

Xcellence2 said:
I would press to please my mother. Personally, I feel that if that small step would make her happy then so be it. Also, if you airdry your hair and then straighten it with a good ceramin iron...I doubt if it would be damaged by the heat. I press my hair once a month for several months and I can still get my curls back when I wash it.

PS - Jamitette, my mom would also have to the hot comb waiting or schedule a hair appointment for me.
I wouldnt potentially damage my hair to please my mother for a photo shoot that doesnt even last a half hour. But thats just me though :ahwell: nAnd its not cuz Im natural.

Country gal

Here is a crazy thought. Can you buy a wig that looks nice for the pictures? It would please your mom without compromising your natural hair by pressing. Can you get your natural hair laid back in a bun to wear a wig over?

oglorious1

Mixologist
sbaker said:
Here is a crazy thought. Can you buy a wig that looks nice for the pictures? It would please your mom without compromising your natural hair by pressing. Can you get your natural hair laid back in a bun to wear a wig over?

I never thought about doing that....thanks for the thought and the wig shop here as 100,000 wigs...sounds like a plan:grin: